Apple Agrees To Replace Exploding First-Gen iPods After Japan Demands Action

In what should have been a no-brainer, Apple today agreed to replace any iPod Nanos that unexpectedly explode. The announcement came as a response to the Japanese government, which yesterday asked the computer-maker to “take some measures” to warn consumers of the potential danger of their little pocket rockets. Apple blames a single bad battery supplier for the spontaneous fireworks.

Apple said the flaw affected first-generation Nanos, sold between September 2005 and December 2006, in very rare instances. The company’s statement added that “There have been no reports of serious injuries or property damage, and no reports of incidents for any other iPod Nano model.”

According to the ministry, Apple Computer has been notified of a total of 14 similar cases in Japan. Out of those, two users suffered minor burning.

The ministry said the incidents were caused by four models — MA004J/A, MA005J/A, MA099J/A and MA107J/A — of which 1.81 million units were sold between September 2005 and September 2006 in Japan.

Domo arigato, Apple, for seeing the wisdom of our suggested policy: “Return Exploded iPod, Get 1 Free!”

Apple says battery problem caused iPod overheating [AP]
Japan warns of iPod nano fire risk [AFP]
PREVIOUSLY: iPod Nano Explodes While Charging
(Photo: Getty) (Thanks to Simon!)

Comments

1. mayrc87 says:

This policy should apply to every other electronic in the market ” if your electronic explode for no apparent reason get 1 free”.

2. Chroma3000 says:

So does that mean that anyone with an iPod Nano that burned to death can get a new one? Because a good friend of mine had that happen to her iPod sometime early last year, before it became a big news item.

3. SpearXXI says:

I like the example pic, and expect more funny ones in the future. At least they are replacing the broken ones. lol

4. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

It’sad that it takes a national government to demand that a corporation repair or replace things that spontaneously burst into flames.

Thankfully, it only potentially affects a really teenie-tiny number of iPods…like 1.8 million.

5. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

It’s even more sad that I can’t spell.

6. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

@mayrc87: I 2nd your idea of replacing all exploding electronics with an electronic device of equal or greater value. Hell, I say if your electronic device explodes for no apparent reason then you should get one of greater value for the stress and aggravation of having your coveted devices spontaneously combust!

– gc3160
    website: thegc.deviantart.com
    email: gc3160@NOSPAMcharter.net

7. Trai_Dep says:

Well, now where will the hip, fashionably-aware anarcho-terrorist types with excruciatingly good taste get their cunningly designed, sleek anti-personnel armament?
    Has anyone thought of them?!

8. zimzombie says:

Now how do I get my 1st gen nano to explode so I can get a free replacement?

9. stevegoz says:

@zimzombie: Can’t they just give us new Touch models immediately in exchange for our ticking time bombs?

10. metalrules24 says:

Well, I guess my boyfriend is vindicated then in all the nasty comments you guys left on his article when his iPod caught fire while charging.

11. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Great.. I have one of these I bought in Dec. 2005.. So it really is a ticking time bomb then.. I wonder what it will take for them to pull a recall on them.

12. Parting says:

@metalrules24: Nasty comments were due to his attitude. Not the original problem. Drop him while you can. (Unless you enjoy occasional adrenaline, due to his ”drama-queen” fits.)

Reminds me of my ex ;)

13. Parting says:

@Kimaroo: If they do a recall, it would be probable to some serial numbers, linked to certain provider’s batteries. Since Apple uses different manufacturer’s for different lots and parts. Not every iPod is affected.

14. Parting says:

@Grrrrrrrrr: Japan is very strict on many levels. So they have much stricter pollution, electronic safety, etc. laws.

USA would never force a manufacturer exchange policy, after having ”only” FOUR cases of mp3s exploding…

15. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@Victo: No, if it were a US manufacturer, they’d just hire lawyers and PR people…pay off the worst injury cases and deny everything else.

16. stupidjerk says:

did this scapegoat of Apple’s also make the macbook pro batteries that were also prone to explode?

Apple is very fortunate that no one has been reported as seriously injured.

17. brendanm14 says:

from AppleInsider:

“Any first-generation iPod nano customers who have experienced their battery overheating should contact AppleCare for a replacement. Any other customers who have concerns about their first-generation iPod nano battery should also contact AppleCare.”

I just called AppleCare about my concerns with my 1G nano….the operator did not know what I was talking about and she forwarded my call to an Apple Store operator. Anyone know of an Apple customer service email address? I will probably get further that talking with the AppleCare folks in India.

18. ScottCh says:

I think it’s great to get a free replacement if you get one that explodes. However, I’d like to make it an additional requirement that the replacement device does not explode. Unless, of course, it’s a device that’s supposed to explode.

Hmm… Maybe this is a special line of Nanos that were intended to be sold to spy agencies?

19. vladthepaler says:

I’m surprised and disappointed that Apple doesn’t recall the exploding iPods and replace the exploding batteries. When there was trouble with Apple’s (and other manufacturers’) laptop batteries a few years back, Apple ran a battery exchange program. That was the right thing to do. But they expect iPod users to keep using their known faulty devices, keep an eye on them while they’re charging just in case, etc… Most any company will recall a known dangerous product (at least, once it’s known to the mainstream media). Why not Apple?

20. YoniX says:

SO all it takes for apple to do right by its customers is to have a small music device explode showering the user with flesh scarring battery acid? Gee, to me it just seems so simple. I wonder how many laptop batteries, ipod batteries and whatnot have to literally explode before more careful safety measures are implimented?

21. metalrules24 says:

@brendanm14:

I am not suprised at this, because of the issue with my bf’s iPod that exploded this past weekend. We were told it would be replaced on the phone by a customer service representative, and that we could go to an Apple store that day to handle it instead of waiting until the next Monday. When we got to the store, we got a different story.

Due to this, it does not suprise me that AppleCare representatives do not know what Apple has promised. It seems to me that there is a gross disorganization in Apple’s customer service line, where new policies are not announced right away to those who are supposed to be enacting them.

22. vivelafat says:

@metalrules24: No shit. I think some people on here owe him an apology. It seems that his attitude was justified considering that the government of Japan was just as frustrated.