That Sure Is An Expensive Phone Ya Got There, Mr. Hobo

Fine, fine, the iPhone is decent and all that, but here’s a funny clip from “The Soup” that puts the lie to that whole “It’s so much cheaper!” hype. And if you’re not an iPhone owner and need even more reason to feel good about that, check out Wisebread’s rant against people who stand in line for gadgets.

[Full disclosure: I bought the N95 the day it came out in the U.S., so I'm not pretending to be immune to gadget lust. On the plus side, there were only, like, six customers in the Nokia store at the time.]

“Are some lives so empty that an iPhone 3G will fill the void?” [Wisebread] (Thanks to Chris!)

Comments

1. snoop-blog says:

Why would anyone spend 3g’s on an iphone?

2. ViperBorg says:

@snoop-blog: Because it’s a 3G iPhone, of course!

But no, really… why the hell would you spend 3 grand on ANY phone, much less an iPhone?

3. AaronZ says:

“Are some lives so empty that an iPhone 3G will fill the void?””

Does the author of this article drive a car that’s anything more/better than a perfectly practical $12K kia spectra?
    If so, is his life so empty or his manhood so in question that he has to compensate by spending twice that on something with leather seats and an in-dash CD?

Yeah, that’s extreme, but the point is that people work to earn money for the things they enjoy. Why should one person’s perfect gadget be someone else’s point of mockery?
    Ok, the question is: Why waste time in line?
    The response is: Why waste your time deriding those waiting in line? If it’s a waste, just ignore this thing that has no impact on you, and move on.
    Why do you feel the need to stop and judge?

4. Mr_D says:

I was just about to point out the irony about somebody who has nothing better to do writing an article about people who have nothing better to do than wait in line for a gadget. Then the further irony of me, who has nothing better to do, reading it, and then taking the irony to unheard of levels of meta by commenting on it.

But AaronZ beat me.

5. morganlh85 says:

hehe I saw that clip on TV last night, I was cracking up!

6. morganlh85 says:

@Mr_D: See all those ADS all over the page? Bloggers make MONEY on those articles ya know.

7. hellinmyeyes says:

LOL hilarious. iLove iWhores!

8. Oface says:

That was awesome. Joel McHale and crew are so genius.

Saw him this morning on the 15th hour of the Today show. He was giving Hoda and Kathy Lee shit. It was FANTASTIC.

9. artki says:

> Ok, the question is: Why waste time in line?
    Why do you feel the need to stop and judge?

The REAL question is: Why waste time deriding people who write negative comments?

Uh-oh! Am I in a logic-loop with no escape?

10. bossco says:

Haha. LOL I don’t have one. I would like one, but there’s bills and family to take care of…

11. Gopher bond says:

When I was a kid we had walkie-talkies and used CBs we had to fix and spent hours fine tuning them so you could pick up the walkie-talkies on the CBs and we had to deal with pervert truckers jumping on our conversations and had to learn CB talk and that’s the way it was and we LIKED it.

Wasn’t all that long ago really.

12. Manok says:

not everyone is poor and can afford the cost of the 2 yr plan. Why do all these crackpot bloggers or whatever you call them expect everyone to eat ramen and buy the cheapest electronics?

13. Wormfather is Wormfather says:

With all due respect to that clip, I just sold my phone for $460 on ebay.

14. am84 says:

I LOVE The Soup!

15. mike says:

Here’s my take:

If you want something, willing to wait hours/days for it, and willing to pay anything to get it, then, well, go right ahead.

I only got the iPhone because I had to wait 4 hours before my bus ride back home. So I said, “Hell, I’ve got nothing else to do. Might as well wait in line.”

And I did! I got mine on Saturday, not Friday. In NYC no less.

16. BMRFILE says:

Nice!!

The greatest thing about iPhone is that it was mostly sold to 20-somethings that can’t afford it in the first place. Top ramen and late payment notices will follow shortly. Congratulations, you have the latest thing. WooHoo!

17. I don’t want more choice, I just want better things.

18. mac-phisto says:

@AaronZ: ok, i get it. but here’s the thing. i waited in line for episode I (twice, technically – once for tickets & once for a seat), b/c i was really, really, really excited for it to come out. & then it came out & it sucked. hard. so, i didn’t wait in line when II or III came out (luckily).

so, my question is…why did you all wait in line last year only to have millions of iphones readily available 2 days later & then get the royal shaftarino from emperor jobs himself when he threw them all on the bargain basement table a few weeks later only to do it again this year??!??!

i mean, talk about glutton for punishment…

19. Nathan Smart says:

@testsicles:

IT’S JUST A WALKIE TALKIE.
    IT’S JUST A WALKIE TALKIE.
    IT’S JUST A WALKIE TALKIE.

20. mariospants says:

I have witnessed plenty of panhandlers with cel phone, however, and I’m sure a couple of the more enterprising ones will end up with iphones…

21. I love Man-kini. I was amazed to find out that he really is George Takei.

22. simplegreen says:

@BMRFILE:
    so its kinda like the mortgage crisis.. but with a phone. I’d love to see the statistics of who defaults on their iphone plan, who cancels the service and who just doesnt pay the bill.

Anyone willing to take a stab at it? i wager at least 20% of these fan boys do.

To the point that not everyone is broke and cant afford the luxury of a new iphone… to that i say, im doing quite well and still dont see the point. But im not iLame either. Go buy a bond or something people.

23. drftjgoj says:

I’ve been waiting for the 3Gs to come out for a few months now and am more than willing to pay the price for one. But I absolutely don’t think that it or anything like it is worth the time to stand in line waiting for it. I’d rather live my life normally for a few weeks, then waltz in and pick one up after all the fanboys validate their existence by camping out.

I would like to say though, in defense of the 100+ people I saw lined up outside my local ATT store friday, at least they are lining up to buy a fully functioning product. People who lined to buy a Wii, PS3, 360, etc. all paid a premium to buy a product that has very little (or no) good software available at launch. That is something I’ll never understand…

24. Who knew there would be a “Lets take some E!” segment on Consumerist today!?

25. @drftjgoj: Oh please. I bought a Wii that very first day–I camped outside a Target all night, it was a great time, I met a bunch of cool people, fellow gamers, and I could have kept myself busy with the pack-in title, Wii Sports, for months even if there were no other games. But I did also grab Twilight Princess and Excite Truck the same day. Those, also, were enough to play for a long time, unless you’re some kind of uber-gamer who plays them straight through day and night until ‘beating’ it and then never wants to play again.

Then again, this might have something to do with the fact that I’m a casual gamer and not obsessive. I can see how a hardcore type would feel that 10 or 20 launch titles wasn’t nearly enough.

FWIW, that was the only console I’ve ever owned during its supported lifespan, let alone on its launch day. It’s been worth it.

26. eismcsquare2 says:

LMAO.

27. @mac-phisto: Waiting in line for Apple launches is just for fun. It’s a social thing. Remember that people wait in line for freaking Apple store openings (they do give out nifty T-Shirts).

The 3 people I knew who bought iPhones on launch day last year weren’t too upset about the price drop. They’re smart people and knew the risks.

It’s mostly people that didn’t buy one, showing their love by being dicks.Harp on the negatives, question the buyers’ self-worth, and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

It’s par for the fanboy (of anything) course, really.

@drftjgoj: I waited in line for a PS2. I played (SSX?) for a few days, and then sold it on eBay for lots of cash. It worked out well.

28. xenth says:

Sure its funny seeing people line up for a phone, but is it really any different than people camping out for tickets? I’ve slept on the freaking sidewalk to guarantee those.

29. eismcsquare2 says:

@Michael Belisle: “they do give out nifty T-Shirts” – what do they have written on them? Something like “This luser was in line outside apple store for whole night and lost his phone service the next day”?

Or “I do not use copy-paste. I type every freaking time.”?

Or “I am so cool that my typing speed on my iphone is slower than a monkey’s.”?

Or “Hey, look at me. LOOK AT ME DAMN YOU!”?

30. @eismcsquare2: Thanks for the vivid example of my last point. Now, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

31. @eismcsquare2: Thanks for the vivid demonstration of my last point. Now pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

32. eismcsquare2 says:

@Michael Belisle: I might as well do it while my iphone worshiping friends – who are deeply hurt by my crude remarks against their beloved life-savior Steve Jobs – are looking for me to kick some butt.

33. JennQPublic says:

@simplegreen: I’m confused. Why would an iPhone owner be more likely to default on their phone bill than anyone else? The data package for the new iPhone costs the same as the data package for any other AT&T phone. The older iPhone (the one I have) is only $20 for unlimited data. One of my friends pays $35 with AT&T for his data plan for his LG. The only difference is, my iPhone has an internet browser that makes it worth paying for a data plan.

34. raisitup says:

That’s Mankini from the show, he rocks.

35. @JennQPublic: Creative accounting and willful delusion (Wow! This Yugo is just as good as a Ferarri! Look at how much I saved!).

Gizmodo did some real math last month. The iPhone’s competitively priced. If you don’t need 200 SMS messages, you can subtract $120 from the iPhone 3G total cost.

36. Meathamper says:

That was funny.

37. Parting says:

That clip was hilarious! And for iPhone fans, common, this is what a joke looks like. It’s better take our technological addictions with humor.

38. Parting says:

@Michael Belisle: You understand that this clip is a parody of a commercial? A joke?

39. @Victo: Yes, I am familiar with the concept of “humor” and this video was pretty funny. I’m not talking about the video: I’m talking about the issues.

Wisebread’s rant? Not parody. (Neither is Carey’s recent rant.)

Putting ‘the lie to that whole “It’s so much cheaper!” hype’? Not a fictional sentiment. (They’re right, but $40 over two years is non-issue for something that’s significantly faster.)

And the reporter (see video #1 on wisebread) who claims to have asked “Have you ever seen a girl naked?” Huge douchebag. Also a major league dick.

40. Imakeholesinu says:

The Soup is absolutely hilarious.

My sister’s boyfriend bought the new iPhone and she called me from it on my birthday. I couldn’t make out the rest of the message because it was so garbled after she said “Happy Birthday…” Needless to say I’m neither impressed with the network, nor am I impressed with the phone. Giving Jobs the ability to pull the plug from any app at anytime he wants on the device? Seems like he’s taking a page out of the MS playbook.

41. Myotheralt says:

I believe the phrase is “If you’ve got it, flaunt it.”

42. Funny commercial made even more funny due to the fact it’s being presented by the one and only MAN-KINI!