Nevada Brothel Offers $50 Gas Voucher To Customers

If you’ve been cutting back on your brothel visits because of the high price of gasoline, you might want to make an appointment with Shady Lady Ranch:

Clients of the Shady Lady Ranch will get a $50 gas voucher if they fork out $300—worth about one hour’s worth of services—at the brothel in Beatty, Nevada, 130 miles northwest of Las Vegas.

Reuters writes, “the $50 rebate would roughly cover the cost of a round trip drive from Las Vegas to the ranch,” and the owner of the brothel reports that it’s been quite popular—”the first $1,000 were spent in one week.”

“It’s rocking along. We’re doing quite well. June and July historically are not big months,” said Davis, who is co-owner of the brothel along with his wife Bobbi, in a telephone interview.

Bobbi came up with the idea.

Hey, if you carpool out to Shady Lady, you can even end up with some extra tipping money in your budget. You know, for the strippers back in Vegas.

“Brothel offers customers gas rebate” [Reuters]

Comments

1. Zeniq says:

I find it odd that a married couple co-own and operate a brothel. Huh…

2. jscott73 says:

Hmmm, heading to Vegas next week, this would definitely help with the gas, not sure if the wife will go for this though…

3. boandmichele says:

@Zeniq: i say good for them. :)

4. BlondeGrlz says:

@jscott73: I swear honey, I’m spending that stimulus check the way the government intended!

5. jscott73 says:

@BlondeGrlz: Precisely, plus it looks like I can head out there on the way to Vegas and only add 50 miles to the trip, well worth the $50 gas card. I wonder if they have a waiting area for the wife and kids?

6. Zeniq says:

@boandmichele: Agreed. Glad they’re open minded.

7. Farquar says:

Carpool everyone?
    This is one industry that understands how to cater to the needs of their clients.

8. tande04 says:

@jscott73: Oh yeah, I’m sure they’ve got a nice little play room set up.

I wouldn’t touch anything in said play room though…

9. MayorBee says:

I can’t help but think “carpooling” is one of the services offered at the Shady Lady.

10. SkokieGuy says:

This does not address the problem of supply and demand. Clearly carpooling for the 130 mile distance is the way to economize.

11. SkokieGuy says:

Damn, Good work Mayor, you beat me to the punchline!

Okay, round 2 & 3, the gauntlet is thrown……

130 miles is practically ‘around the world’.

Does ‘full service’ include an oil change and filter?

12. ConsumptionJunkie says:

$300/hr. is a little steep. I can find $100 sessions on Craigslist under erotic services.

13. MayorBee says:

Okay, SkokieGuy, it’s time for the big guns now.

You know, with that extra $50, you might be able to stop next door at the Starbucks and get a Gentleman’s Latte with full release and extra foam.

14. ClayS says:

$300 an hour? Seems pretty steep. That would be about $30 in my case. Lot of pressure though.

15. jscott73 says:

@ClayS: If you’re experiencing unusual pressure anywhere in your body after a visit to a brothel you may want to have it medically examined.

16. Does this post really belong on The Consumerist?

Regardless, thanks for the info. I really needed to know which ranch offer the best value for services rendered.

17. ChuckECheese says:

Amusing post. As I post, I’m on vacation about 50 mi from Beatty in the Armagosa & Death Valleys. It’s too hot to think about hookers. I wonder what they have on tap?

18. TheBusDriver says:

hmmm…from their site:

“Spend $300.00 ( 1 Hr) for services Receive $50.00 Dollar gas card.
    Spend $500.00 ( 2 Hr) for services Receive $100.00 Dollar gas card.
    Spend $800.00 ( 3 Hr) for services Receive $150.00 Dollar gas card.
    Offer expires when the Gas cards run out.

Only one special per customer, to receive the discounted price you must mention this special at the door. “

-Few issues here. Why is the 3rd hour not discounted? It is simply the same as buying 2 hours, and then coming back for a third. But the MOST important question – Why do you have to mention the special at the door. Does the quality of ‘service’ depend on if you are getting the discount?

19. Mira Mi Huevo!!! says:

What!!! 1 prostitute for 300 p/hour??? In mexico you could get 2 or 3 prostitutes for the night with that money…

…Well that is what I’ve heard. :)

20. MayorBee says:

@chumia40: The night? You’re not paying them to stay over, you know. The money’s for them not to be there in the morning.

21. theblackdog says:

This gives whole new meaning to “Gas Money”

22. Trai_Dep says:

300? 300 dollars?!
    When I see my pimp tonight, I’ve got some very harsh words for him.

23. temporaryerror says:

@chumia40:
    Yes, mexico and Craigslist (and streetcorners, for that matter) may offer “erotic services” for a fraction of what the Shady Lady charges, but there is one big difference; in Nevada, brothels like the shady lady are taxed, regulated, and inspected by the Dept of Health… They are legal. No risk of getting caught up in a sting, and much less risk of contracting an STD or getting rolled by the girl’s pimp. So, the services offered by the SL are set at $300, while CL, Mexico, or the street corner could end up costing you much, much more in legal fees, bribes, and medical treatment. Gotta look at the big picture people!

24. Gopher bond says:

If you get any more than 1 hour, you’re one of those guys who thinks the strippers really like him.

25. Farquar says:

@testsicles:

Any more than about 15 minutes and your just trying to impress the whore. Trust me, they aren’t impressed.

26. Mira Mi Huevo!!! says:

@temporaryerror: Come on man live a little… how about a little risk in your life?

27. temporaryerror says:

@testsicles: That reminds me of the line from “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” where the restaurant host says something to the effect of “She doesn’t like you, it’s called customer service!” (I just recall that line from the previews…never saw the movie, so it may be off, but I think that’s the gist of it.)

28. thebluepill says:

Most of the big brothels during Conventions, like CES charge $1K-$5K per sexual act. Two girls at one time can run from $3K to $10K, depending on the length of visit and the specific requests.

Many will actually book in advance and let you have a “menu” of items and women to choose from.

$300 per hour in a Nevada “ranch” is considered “low rent”.

29. TheBusDriver says:

@temporaryerror:
    Yeah…but I saw their website….and the “Shady Lady Girls” section….I’ll take my chances on the street corner…

30. BigPapaCherry says:

@SkokieGuy: I was so hoping you’d say “lube and filter change” instead.

31. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@temporaryerror: There are other ethical concerns against the legalized brothel. Prostitution in Nevada is only legal in certain counties (obvious), only legal within the context of a brothel (sex-workers are not allowed to freelance like a worker in any other industry would), require licensing by the state (and is a permanent record ripe for closing future doors of opportunity and for use in discriminatory practices).

The real evil in prostitution are the pimps and in “legal” Nevada, since they’re forced to work in the brothel, the brothel becomes their pimp, minus the velvet hat and beatings. Also, taxing vice makes the state dependant on vice, so, I don’t see why any more taxes beyond income tax and sales tax should apply.

I personally would find it much less ethically objectionable to partake in an independant dealer, as they say. The law unfortunately makes it seem like the legal version is superior when in reality it’s not that much better for the employees.

32. Canino says:

These outlying Nevada brothels service mostly truckers, and you don’t want any part of that unless you enjoy the ambiance of the typical truckstop rental shower stall. Do a little online research and you can find what you want in town and it’s much…”cleaner”…for lack of a better term.

33. DH405 says:

The Shady Lady is well-known as one of the cheapest brothels near Vegas. I’m surprised they don’t have coupon codes floating around FatWallet.com

34. DH405 says:

@Canino: You do realize that a brothel cannot operate in Vegas legally, right? You suggest people go to an illegal and unregulated brothel?

35. PølάrβǽЯ says:

I’m grateful for this; the wife was beginning to wonder why our gasoline bill was so high!

36. Canino says:

@SMSDHubbard: Oh yeah, I’m fully aware of the law in Nevada. I don’t suggest going anywhere. There’s usually no need to even leave the hotel.

37. apotheosis says:

I guess it’s some kind of stigma at my age, but I honestly had no idea those “services” cost that much.

I suppose it’s cheaper than marriage, but damn.

38. PyroBor says:

Ha. I live 2 hours from Beatty in the CA desert. Nice gambling town…didn’t know they had a brothel.

39. thelushie says:

@Applekid: Very well said.

I have a better idea. How about not exploiting women and not going to those sorts of establishments in the first place? You will get to keep your $300 (or whatever) and save gas. A win-win situation.

40. azntg says:

Marketing really loves jumping on the gas cards, don’t they? A brothel offering gas card vouchers was the most comic one yet.

41. chuckv says:

I’m confused as to how entering into a voluntary transaction with a consenting adult can be considered exploiting? Would someone like to enlighten me?

42. danseuse322 says:

I find it sadly ironic that these comments are, by and lrage, positive, if some are perhaps a bit facetious, but yesterday people reamed people who prayed over low gas prices. Again, in general, but what a sad contrast. Praying = bad, brothel deal = good.

I’m far more scared by this than the economy.

43. @danseuse322: It would have been ironic if the station owner increased the prices during the prayer session. More on topic though, I think this is a wonderful, practical and concrete way of offsetting a customer’s costs to help increase business (especially during a natureally slow season). Would you have the same reservations with a religous literature store offering such an incentive?

44. Superawesomerad says:

@Applekid: I’m not really seeing your argument. Were I to partake in this sort of activity, I’d much rather purchase the services of a woman (or man) who’s voluntarily working in a safe, regulated environment and who receives a steady paycheck. I’m not sure I buy your claim that the type of person who runs a legal brothel in Nevada is the same type who runs a streetwalking operation in New York, and even if it is there are legal safeguards in place to prevent them from pulling the abusive shit they could get away with in the black market.

As for the vice tax: It’s not like criminalizing prostitution will make it go away, so the state might as well get some income from it. It’s not much different from taxing tobacco.

45. Parapraxis says:

@danseuse322:

actually, they both have something in common.

You hear a lot of people screaming “OH GOD” during both.

46. EdnaLegume says:

@danseuse322: I don’t know how to break this to you, but prostitution isn’t new. In fact, it’s been around longer than high gas prices. No amount of anything is likely to knock the oldest profession, but we may find a way to lower gas prices.

BAH! yeah right, who am I kidding? Someone let me know when brothels are legal in my state. I could totally be a madam. And my husband has been nagging me to get a job.

47. PersonOfInterest says:

@chuckv: If the person won’t have sex with you without taking money it is not consensual. Let’s not pretend you aren’t participating in something exploitive because you financially compensated the other person.

48. EtherealStrife says:

@PersonOfInterest: That rules out a whole lot of married couples.

49. PersonOfInterest says:

@EtherealStrife: I’m sorry for you that you feel that way about relationships.

50. Teapotfox says:

@danseuse322: I think that’s a pretty big oversimplification. I haven’t even gotten tangled up in the please-Jebus-lower-our-gas-prices comments yet, but I think that there’s a very significant difference (in practicality alone) between getting together in a circle in a gas station and praying for divine intervention for your SUV and having a business (ANY business) offer a gas voucher as an incentive.

51. Teapotfox says:

@PersonOfInterest: So anyone that won’t do something with you or for you for free is being exploited? We all compensate people for their time, attention, companionship and many, many other services all the time. What makes sex different, if the person offering the sex -chooses- to do so as a business transaction? People have sex for lots and lots of different reasons. If everyone’s a consenting adult and no one’s been coerced, who are you to say it’s exploitation?

52. forgottenpassword says:

From what I have seen of those places… they are creepy as hell! The girls are not as attractive as the average high-class escort. You are never far from the “caretaker” (madam) popping her head in & the amount of rules in those places are insane. I’d rather deal with a high-class hooker that provides a REAL personal one on one service than those state approved brothels in nevada.

53. Crushmeguy says:

@PersonOfInterest: I have a job. I am constantly exploited, per your logic. But that’s OK, since I willingly accepted my position. Hell, I even wanted to be exploited…I sent my resume and showed up to a lengthy interview.

Maybe I need to seek counseling.

You can have you beliefs. If you choose not to be a hooker I’m cool with that. Don’t try to stop others from making their own choices, by implying they are somehow unaware of their “exploited” circumstance.

54. PersonOfInterest says:

@Teapotfox: @Crushmeguy: I am sorry you feel that sex is no different than any other transaction or task in life. Perhaps you should seek counseling.

55. Crushmeguy says:

@PersonOfInterest: That’s the second time you’ve apologized as a replacement to offering a substantive thought. That leads me to believe you have no demonstrable argument supporting you previous comments.

It’s a cop out to essentially say, “You just don’t get it”.

56. PersonOfInterest says:

@Crushmeguy: Is their a rational argument for putting your penis above all else? I don’t have one so I don’t know. Sorry.

57. Tmoney02 says:

@PersonOfInterest: If the person won’t have sex with you without taking money it is not consensual. Let’s not pretend you aren’t participating in something exploitive because you financially compensated the other person.

So because I wont do any thing for my office without being compensated its not consensual and I am being exploited? Who knew slavery was still alive and well in America?!

58. Crushmeguy says:

@Tmoney02: She won’t respond with an ounce of reasoning to you, unfortunately.

@PersonOfInterest: Another overly dramatic comment with little to no substance. I’m noticing a trend. How is paying for sex putting a penis above all else?

59. PersonOfInterest says:

@Crushmeguy: @Tmoney02: I have already addressed the office work is just like giving fat, ugly guys bjs for money argument. Paying someone to have sex with you is wrong. Their is no such thing as a happy, “liberated” hooker. All prostitution is explotive. The arguement for why you shouldn’t care or why these facts are not facts is entirely your responsibility. However, I don’t believe it is possible to be a rational person and make a rational argument for prostituion. So, you could not pay me to continue this conversation.

60. Tmoney02 says:

@PersonOfInterest: I have already addressed the office work is just like giving fat, ugly guys bjs for money argument.

No, No you didn’t….

Their is no such thing as a happy, “liberated” hooker.
    Oh really? I say there is. I guess you are going to bring some proof that every single woman who has worked the profession was horribly unhappy and was not “liberated” – however you are using that very broad term. (Can we both agree to at least a smirk that broad was used in a prostitution argument?)

All prostitution is explotive
    Ahhh, we have now made a circular argument since you haven’t explained your first point…at all.

I don’t think it is a mark of a rational person to dismiss any viewpoints that are not your own. When you are ready to have a rational and this is key – non emotional – discussion please come back. I promise myself and Crushmeguy will be polite. Otherwise please go back to whence you came….

@Crushmeguy: So I see, and sorry to steal your argument. I had this open in a window and responded without refreshing first, though apparently great minds think alike!

61. Crushmeguy says:

@PersonOfInterest: That’s an excellent way to bow out of the conversation. It’s my responsibility to figure out why you think all prostitution is exploitive.

That makes even less sense than anything else you’ve said!

62. Tmoney02 says:

@PersonOfInterest: Also I can point to some sites including Jezebel (the gawker feminist site) who have women who say they enjoy their work. Are you saying you know better than they do about their happiness and liberation?

63. Teapotfox says:

@PersonOfInterest: I didn’t say it always was. I actually said I think sex can be and mean a lot of different things to people, even different things to the same person, in different contexts. I find your suggestion that I seek counseling pretty laughable when it comes from someone who apparently demands that everyone must conform to his/her narrow view of what sex is, what sex means and how everyone must value it.

How can you say you know better than other people do what their experience is and what it means to them?