Giant Foods Cashier Said I Had To Be 30 To Buy Zyrtec!

Reader Amie had an odd encounter with a Giant Food cashier today. As she was checking out the cashier asked if she was 30 because he wasn’t supposed to sell Zyrtec to anyone under 30.

I went to the doctor today and she suggested that I try Zyrtec for my allergies instead of a prescription. On my way back to work, I stopped by a Giant Food Store to buy some. As I was checking out, the cashier asked me if I was 30. I said no, that I am only 29 and gave him my ID. He said that he would go ahead and sell me my medicine, but not to tell anyone that he did so. When I asked why, he said that they are not allowed to sell anyone Zyrtec (and possibly other medications, but I didn’t ask) to people under 30. Luckily I had my doctor’s recommendations in my purse with me if there had been any problems, but I found the age limit of 30 to be a bit high….

Amie

We suspected this guy was just hitting on you, so we called Giant Foods and confirmed that they had no age restrictions on over-the-counter allergy medicines. Feel free to complain to the manager of the store where this apron-wearing lothario works.

Comments

1. SahuaritaSam says:

That sly dog…

2. davebg5 says:

Likely the cashier is just a dumbass.

Many places require their employees to check ID when the customer appears to be anywhere under the age of 30 for items where there are age restrictions.

3. Juggernaut says:

I’m not supposed to do this but could you deposit this check and just give me half the cash? Oh, and what’s your name and address?

4. dualityshift says:

@davebg5:
    or a stalker. He’s memorized Amie’s address, and the dismembered animal gifts will commence.

5. MissPeacock says:

Years ago, I bought White-Out at Wal-Mart and had to show ID to prove that I was over 18.

6. floyderdc says:

We need to see a picture of Amie to make a good decision on this one. (hitting on v. dumbass).

I still vote dumbass.

7. BlondeGrlz says:

@MissPeacock: They still card me for spray paint at Wal-mart. I take it as a compliment.

8. startertan says:

@MissPeacock:

It’s probably because you look like a glue (or white out) sniffing weirdo.

9. donkeyjote says:

@davebg5:

Likely the cashier is just a dumbass.

QFT.

stalk/hiton customer
    fi

10. evslin says:

Dumbass.

Also, Zyrtec rules!

11. gjaluvka says:

I vote dumbass who mistook the “card anybody under 30″ guideline for “buyer must be 30″.

That makes the most sense out of the senseless options.

12. nursetim says:

@davebg5:
    That may be, but why would there be an age restriction for Zyrtec anyway? And how is someone going to get in trouble for not checking ID on someone who appears to be under 30? It is the definition of subjective, and I would like to see a manager try to write up someone for that.

13. MyPetFly says:

@BlondeGrlz:

They don’t card me — must be the silver spray paint around my mouth and nose (gold paint on the weekends).

14. rwakelan says:

@donkeyjote: your pseudo code has a logic error…

if id >= 18 then
    sell;
    else
    DON’T sell;
    endif

15. MyPetFly says:

@nursetim:

Making meth? I don’t know if it has any ingredients in it that could be used for that.

16. ElizabethD says:

That is too weird. I could maybe understand (although not necessarily condone) their having restrictions on *decongestants* like the original Sudafed, whose ingredients can be used to cook up a batch of meth. (You can still get it, but it’s behind the pharmacist’s counter.) But Zyrtec? Huh?

Great allergy med. I was very happy when it finally went OTC and generic this past year. Blue Cross was making me do a $40 co-pay because it was a Tier 3 med.

17. Lance Uppercut says:

A couple weeks ago I bought alcohol at Wal-mart and the register prompted “Customer under 40?” The cashier studied me for a few seconds before grudgingly looking at my ID.

I think it’s just a safety net to card anyone who may be close to the age limit. Although I have never heard of an age limit for Zyrtec and I buy it all the time.

Here in Ohio (maybe other places, I don’t know) you have to show ID for drugs like Sudafed in case you plan on making meth.

18. WilmerSlug says:

Reminds me of when I was kept from buying spray paint for a model
    when I was under 21. I was like “really? I would spend THIS much
    money to tag something with a spray paint in a specific military
    shade when I could go by a can for .89 cents?” I really hate when
    stores make up rules, as if the ones set by the government makes up
    where not good enough (Im looking at you meth kings) Seriously you
    going to have to live in a test tube your entire life if this shit
    keeps up.

19. RedSonSuperDave says:

*Points at gjaluvka*

Yeah, what HE said. Sounds like that cashier needs to be retrained.

To death with a tire iron.

20. swags says:

A pharmacy worker at Giant once told me she couldn’t sell nicotine patches to me because I was under 30.

21. donkeyjote says:

@rwakelan: No, because you don’t need to explicitly state an alternative action. Once the “id >= 18″ results as true (or false), the if statement is escaped. If id < 18, !sell, is implicit.

My code is a nested if.

The second if happens if the customer is under 30, with no else. The else only happens if the first if, customer is 30 or over. Or null.

if true; then
    exit
    fi

22. Snorbert says:

Zyrtec D has the ingredient for meth cooking and at most pharmacies is kept behind the pharmacy counter like Sudafed. This may be where the confusion lies.

I think he was making a pass at her makes for a better story though.

23. YoHenYo says:

I work for Stop and Shop at customer service, which is the same as Giant-Landover.
    On the registers when you scan an item, it says Under 30? Check ID. This means that if the person looks under thirty, you are to check to see that they meet the proper age requirement to purchase an item. I guess the geniuses never bother to go past that step when training the new cashiers.

24. katylostherart says:

i’m pretty sure the guy’s just retarded.

@YoHenYo: exactly.

25. Asvetic says:

Oh this kid is smooth, not only did he find out she’s under 30, he also knows her full name, address and DOB. Very slick move on his behalf.

Course, she’s probably allergic to his filthy digs and it would never work out.

26. The_IT_Crone says:

Hoo boy. I too vote that they mistook ID under 30 for purchase over 30.

As for the meth cooking- even if it is true- don’t you need massive quantities of it? So if you were buying over 30 BOXES of Zyrtec…

/ok I’m reaching, but it DOES sound that ridiculous

27. davebg5 says:

@dualityshift: Always possible. I know that when I worked at a liquor store in college I made sure all the cute girls had to show ID.

Ah…good times…good times…

28. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I must respectfully disagree, Meg: by no stretch of the imagination is asking someone their age count as hitting on them.

29. AustinSauer says:

years ago while home from college on break, I was carded at 7-11 in NJ to
    buy a lighter… not even cigarrettes! This was soon after the 18+ carding
    started for smokes. I was 19 but had run out w/o my ID to pick up milk and
    juice, and decided to get a spare lighter. needless to say i left without
    the lighter.

this is the same 7E where i used to buy boxes of sparklers and pick up
    cartons of cigs for my mom when i was 10 – with no questions asked!

sign me: glaurious

30. Laffy Daffy says:

@Asvetic: Exactly. Let the stalking begin!

31. donkeyjote says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Yes it is. Older women have age issues, so someone carding them makes them feel younger, and happier. If someone cards them with that intention….

32. Ein2015 says:

I would have rejected this letter on the basis that it was probably flirting.

33. phelander says:

He probably wanted to steal her soul through her license. It can happen to you, it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone eventually.

34. floyderdc says:

Were is the I will never show my ID ever, because it can be used for id theft crowd?

35. mike says:

@MissPeacock: Really? What were you doing buying Wite Out? Don’t you know that’s what terrorists use to fix their mistakes?

I’ve got nothing.

36. donopolis says:

This was obviously an employee misunderstanding the rule of if they look under 30 id them…to mean if they are under thirty don’t sell to them…

Which of course makes no sense as it is non-Rx and not a tobacco or alcohol product. There is no reason to card for it.

I used to use sudafed as my non-rx med of choice for sinus problems…however they have jacked the system up with forcing me to go to the counter and show ID and sign for it…Like this does ANYTHING! If I were a maker of Crank I would merely charge my consumers the standard charge + a box of sudafed…problem solved.

D-

37. Balisong says:

@floyderdc: I came here for these. Left disappointed. So I’ll substitute:

This cashier was obviously a GENIUS and flash-memorized her address and id number. She will lost all her worldly possessions in a fortnight!

38. CaptainConsumer says:

Oh, I see what happened, the mistake was simple once you think about it.

The clerk mistook the Zyrtec for Zima. It could happen to anyone

39. ClankBoomSteam says:

Seems likely that the cashier was just not that bright: lots of stores have a policy along the lines of “if you look like you might be under 30, we’ll card you for booze, cigarettes and pharmaceuticals”. Thousands of stores do this, just to cover their asses. I’m betting that the cashier was just dumb enough to not get the nuances of the rule, interpreting it as “we don’t sell booze, cigarettes and pharmaceuticals to people under 30″.

40. gjaluvka says:

None of this would have happened if she had just patronized her local independent pizza joint.

41. ClankBoomSteam says:

@gjaluvka: Beat me to it. And more succinctly — bravo!

42. thesepretzels says:

@swags: Of course not. We want people under 30 to continue to smoke.

43. coan_net says:

I’m sure the cashier just heard wrong.

They were probable told to check the ID of anyone who LOOKED under 30, and not sell it to them without an ID.

44. alm0529 says:

Hello everyone,

This is Amie, the one who wrote this submission. I do think he got the “under 30, request ID rule” mixed-up, but your comments are too funny. I will let you know tomorrow if someone has stolen all of my belongings though. I hope the cats are ok…..

45. Aphex242 says:

lol I’m sure it’ll be fine, the “I’m supposed to card everyone who looks 30 or younger” instruction got cross-wired with the “don’t sell to anyone younger than 18″ instruction is by far the most likely scenario.

46. Jesse says:

I had an idiot cashier get short with me once this winter at the self checkout which carded me for Mucinex DM tablets.

I simply noted that I found it odd it would ask for ID on that item and the lady snapped “It might have alcohol in it!” (Note: these were solid tablets)

At the time, I didn’t know you could overdose and get high off of cough medicine. I should have gone back and apologized for not being up to date on the most recent OTC overdose crazes.

47. alm0529 says:

@floyderdc

[www.facebook.com]

48. RedSonSuperDave says:

@donopolis: If I were a maker of Crank I would merely charge my consumers the standard charge + a box of sudafed…problem solved.

They actually do this now. Don’t ask me how I know it, but, yeah, it seems to be the standard practice around here.

49. Mr. Gunn says:

alm0529: Pics are necessary in order for us to determine whether he’s an idiot or a stalker.

50. Meanwhile, I’ve never gotten carded for Zyrtec at Walmart. Then again, I rarely even get carded for booze anymore anywhere and I’m only 28. Weird.

51. sburnap42 says:

For some reason I’ve been carded twice in the last year for…M rated video games.

For the record: I turn 43 in August. I guess I look younger.

52. HawkWolf says:

getting carded for zyrtec is like getting carded for benedryl. you can get high off anticholinergics, but you’d be better off getting it with THC…

although I’m sure this was just a ID10T error on behalf of the cashier…

53. TeraGram says:

@evslin so everyone says. Unfortunately for me, I get really dizzy on this stuff. Allegra, too. I think it’s kind of weird because Benedryl & Chlortrimeton (which make most folks sleepy/drowsy) has no effect on me (probably built up a tolerance). Oh well. I’ll stick with Claritin (actually, Costco’s version, $11 for 300 tabs! Beat that!) with an occassional booster of Benedryl or Chlortrimeton (whatever’s on sale!).

54. TeraGram says:

@floyderdc we’re all too busy getting wasted on cold medicine.

55. alice_bunnie says:

@Jesse:

My Kroger obviously mis-keyed something in their inventory system and I had to show id for regular Mucinex. I was really puzzled how I could get high on Mucinex, because ODing on it could only make me ooze mucous and throw up quite a bit. I didn’t really see that as very pleasurable. ;p

56. dewrock says:

Yeah I’m thinking he was just joking around with her and it went over her head.

Either way I don’t see why there would be age restrictions on Zyrtec. I’ve been getting in prescription since I was in high school.

Besides when they check ID for sudafed, they’re not checking you age they’re just keeping track of how often you buy it. Stores are only supposed to sell a certain amount to a person per month.

Oh and speaking of being age verified/carded for stupid reasons, I bought Boyz N The Hood on DVD at walmart the other day. I went through the U-scan registers and when I scanned the DVD a message popped up saying to wait for my age to be verified. Alright that’s cool, I just expected the lady to just override the message. But no, she comes over and asks me what I’m trying to buy. Now I’m 25, I can legally buy anything. I tell her just a movie and she stares me down and asks me, “Just how old are you?”. I told her 25. I mean seriously, even if you don’t think I look that old you’d have to think I look at least 17. I don’t look young, I keep a short goatee and five o’clock shadow. Gimme a break!!

57. DrCrippen says:

This carding thing is getting a little nuts. I was at Wal-Mart recently I had two things to get at the Rx counter: A box of Advil Cold and Sinus (the good stuff with the pseudephedrine) and a prescription for Percoset for my wife…

Now, which item should have been easier to buy? The Schedule II controlled narcotic pain killer that wasn’t even prescribed to me, or the pack of 20 over the counter cold pills?

Yeah. I wasn’t carded for the percoset. They didn’t ask my name. But when I asked for the Advil! Took my license, copied all the info, apent almost 5 minutes filling out paperwork.

Utterly ridiculous.

58. fjordtjie says:

i’m tired of the age restrictions on over the counter meds. is it helping yet? have they stopped concocting batches of meth? and it’s not like meth usage stops after 30. card everyone or card noone! and it’s not like kids under 18 are the meth chemists either, did the age restriction work?

i was unable to get robotussin last fall when I had a horrible cold and was coughing my throat raw, but the girl at the pharmacy in the grocery store wouldn’t sell it to me because I needed a doctor’s note. when did over the counter start needing a prescription? pain in the ass!

59. GamblesAC2 says:

someones getting his freak on

60. arkalite says:

I work as a cashier at Target and we have the same prompt. Does the customer look over the age of 30?

Simple misunderstanding.
    Also, the reason why they card for most of this stuff, is because if it contains almost any kind of a certain chemical, it can be used as a hallucinogen and can severely damage the body when ODing.

It’s not really meth as much as the fifteen year olds that want to get high when their mom is out of town. I have personally only had to refuse to sell it one time, and that was to a group of 7 fourteen year olds, buying nothing but Robatussen(sp?)and Zyrtec. And there was a lot of both.

I don’t think they like me very much now.

61. Pro-Pain says:

What an asshat of a cashier. I’d go back and confront him. *cue Minor Threat cd*

62. bob-mounger says:

I’m 48 & a CVS clerk recently refused to sell me a box of Claritin-D because my drivers license was expired. Since when do you have to operate a motor vehicle to have allergies?

63. alm0529 says:

@ dewrock.

No, he was serious and it wouldn’t have gone over my head if he was.

64. alm0529 says:

Sorry, it wouldn’t have gone over my head if he wasn’t.

65. Aresef says:

*hops off search train*

Cashier from chain in question here. The system asks if the customer looks 30. If not, we card. Just like smokes and booze. The cashier in the article is just stupid.