These people have decided to simplify their lives by limiting themselves to only owning 100 things. Better say bye-bye to that antique button collection. [TIME]

Comments

1. AD8BC says:

You’ll spend more time accomlpishing this than it’s worth.

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

The person who wins this little game is the person who figures out first that if you bought it on credit, you don’t own it. Either them, or the one who claims to own a track suit, a pair of shoes, and 96 sheets of toilet paper.

3. RandomHookup says:

But my button collection is just -one- thing!

4. Orv says:

@speedwell: How about someone who owns 99 pennies, plus him/herself.

5. krom says:

I really don’t know why abolishing sentimentalism is considered an essential goal of thrift.

Modest households throughout the world have plenty of sentimentalism, and it enriches their lives.

So they may have saved a few hundred twenty years earlier if they hadn’t bought this or that. But they get enjoyment from it and get to look back on it happily.

There has to be another method of affordable living that doesn’t involve self-punshiment. If not, we have socioeconomic problems that all the thrift in the world won’t solve.

6. ShariC says:

The main problem is that the numbers chosen are so arbitrary. Why 100? Why not 82 or 126? It makes more sense to not consume any new products you don’t need and only purge whatever is meaningless and useless.

I’m betting that whatever guidelines he sets allow him to comfortably keep most of what he’d want anyway. His wife isn’t in on it so he doesn’t have to “count” anything she “owns”. It’s pretty dubious as well as based on an arbitrary notion that 100 things is very little to have.

I looked at his blog and there are a few posts about consumer debt, but he’s not eliminating debt by getting rid of things he’s already paid full price for. It’s like closing the barn door after the horse is long gone.

7. czarandy says:

Well, if you do it this way, it’s pretty easy:
    Cait Simmons, 27, a waitress in Chicago, takes a different approach. Although she has pared down her footwear collection from 35 to 20 pairs, she says, “All my shoes count as one item.”

I can go down to even fewer than 100 “items” this way.

8. mammalpants says:

one of my 100 things is 100,000 things.

9. moore850 says:

so if they buy a box of toothpicks, they have to throw out all their clothes, etc?

10. Wormfather says:

“I own 99 things but a b*tch aint one.”

11. revmatty says:

@Wormfather: well played, sir.

12. geoffhazel says:

I guess you’re dead if you gonna have dinner for 8. 2 forks, knife, spoon, dinner plate, salad plate, dessert dish, water glass, wine glass… oops! Forgot the chair! That’s 80 of my things already. No pots, pans, fridge, oh, right, the TABLE!! Salt/pepper shakers, napkins, dang. I know we’re over by now.

Does the breakfast cereal count? What if you like wheaties and the wife likes cheerios? Is that 2?

Almost bordering on OCD