The Most Expensive Spirits In The World

Since the beginning of history, man has sought to concoct a spirit that makes him seem like the ultimate pimp. But which are the spirits that exemplify the pinnacle of decadence? In case you still have money left over from encrusting your toilet seat with diamonds and gold plating your pets, Divine Caroline has put together a list of the most expensive spirits in the world. And you thought you were a player. The spirits, inside…

Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande Champagne – $1,946,617
This cognac comes in a bottle covered in 24K gold and sterling platinum. The bottle sports 6,500 diamonds crafted by a master jeweler. The cognac itself has been aged for over 100 years giving it an alcohol content of 41%.
La Ley del Diamante (the Diamond Sterling) Tequila – $1,547,880
The bottle is a hand-blown creation made by 32 Mexican craftsman, covered in 4kg. of platinum and silver and covered with 6,000 diamonds. 3,6 and 9 year old tequilas are blended in cured barrels with an alcohol content of 42%.

DIVA Premium Vodka – $1,060,000
The vodka is made from natural spring water. It is triple distilled, first through ice then Nordic birch charcoal then through granulated diamonds and gems. The center of the bottle is filled with various precious and semi-precious gems.
Nun’s Island, Galaway Distillery, 20-Year-Old Pure Pot Still Whisky and Nun’s Island, Galaway Distillery, 25-Year-Old Pure Pot Still Whisky – $194,661
The Galaway Distillery went out of business in 1908, the bottles were distilled in the 1800’s. Good luck finding any.
The Macallan Fine and Rare Collection, 1926, 60 Years Old – $38,000
Macallan’s revolutionary Fine & Rare Collection 1926 can be found the Homestead Steakhouse in Atlantic City for $3,300 per dram.
Wray and Nephew Rum – $50,638
This rum is made by the Jamaican distillers Wray and Nephew and was bottled in the 1940’s. Some of the rum dates back to 1915. There are only 4 unopened bottles in the world.

“Mad Dog” 20/20 – $2.89
After you’ve sipped on the “good stuff” all night, and all the pretentious assholes have gone home, pull this baby out of your pocket and chug down a flask of body-temperature-warm mad dog. It tastes like some weird funky juice but it gets you f’d up. Salut!

Most Expensive Spirits in the World [Divine Caroline]

Comments

1. pine22 says:

wow! even if i somehow got my hands on one of those i dont think i would ever even consider drinking it.

2. Parting says:

@pine22: Even mad dog? ;)

3. @Victo: Especially Mad Dog.

4. Toof_75_75 says:

@Victo:
    Especially mad dog. :-)

5. Toof_75_75 says:

@Spaceman Bill Leah:
    HAHA Great minds!

6. henrygates says:

The ones in the million dollar range are suspect…how much is the actual liquid worth compared to the gem-encrusted bottle its in?

7. jusooho says:

Depending on how much you drink, the cheapest Mad Dog 20/20 might be the most expensive of all… it’s poison

8. BigBoat says:

My mommy says I’m a player :(

9. catskyfire says:

I’m interested in the most expensive liquors, not the most expensive bottles.

10. @henrygates: I agree. I think it’s like the most expensive desert they show on TV that’s Ben&Jerry’s ice cream w/a diamond ring in it. It’s not the ice cream that’s expensive, it’s the diamond ring. Just like when they say the most expensive hamburger. What’s expensive is the extra’s, not the .75 lb of beef.

11. MexiFinn says:

@henrygates:

I was wondering the same thing.

Regarding the Vodka… “through granulated diamonds and gems”. Aren’t diamonds and such inert? How would they contribute to the final spirit’s character? Thats kind of like saying you wipe your a$$ with $100 bills. You probably get the same results as crappy TP from an airport.

12. evslin says:

@catskyfire: Yeah, how much of that $1,946,617 for the Henri IV cognac is the gold, platinum, and 6,500 diamonds on the bottle itself?! Geez.

13. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This may as well been called the most expensive bottles in the world.

14. boandmichele says:

@henrygates: dunno, id say 100 year old cognac is pretty expensive. id try it. :)

15. Aphex242 says:

Yeah it isn’t until the 4th item that this list becomes legit, imho.

16. hayisforhorses says:

So when it comes out the other side, how much would it be worth then. Im reckoning on some serious buyers remorse!

17. senor_tron says:

i use that Dudognon as a mouthwash i’m such a playah.

aphex242: love the pixies sig

18. senor_tron says:

what?

19. rmz says:

@MexiFinn: I was thinking the same thing. The first one has at least SOMETHING going for it, its age (but it’s still outlandish at that price), but the second and third ones are just ridiculous. 3/6/9-year old tequilas “blended” makes it worth $1.5 mil? Filtered vodka which has been run over a bag of shiny rocks is worth $1 mil?

20. no.no.notorious says:

i bought mad dog 5 years ago on credit and i’m STILL paying it off!!!

21. puffyshirt says:

i would like your finest mad dog 20/20, sir.

22. hi says:

@no.no.notorious: Yeh I’m still waiting on those payments! You owe me $1000 in interest.

23. innout3x3 says:

The Macallan. Yum. That bottle cost 38 grand without all that gaudy stones.

24. pine22 says:

@Victo: that mad dog crap wasnt included in the original post lol! look at when i posted my comment

25. Balisong says:

So if I hollowed out the Hope Diamond and poured some rum into it, I could get on this list? How ridiculous. This is just like putting gold leaf on top of a slice of cake and naming it the most expensive dessert ever. Placing food or drink on a bed of dollar bills shouldn’t make something special enough to warrant news articles about it.

26. roshambo says:

If you bought a bottle could you have gotten in on the DeBeers class action diamond lawsuit?

27. innout3x3 says:

I should mention you can’t buy it from the company because they sold out of it.

28. darkryd says:

Let’s hear it for Mad Dog!

I can understand a rare distilled spirit that is no longer produced and over 60 years old being expensive – but just because some tard wanted to put diamonds in the bottle he thinks we’ll buy it?

dumb.

29. @MexiFinn: I was thinking the same thing. It’s kind of like how some sushi restaurants use nude models as “plates”. It doesn’t change the quality of the food, but you totally just ate that piece of sushi off a boobie.

30. Aphex242 says:

@senor_tron: Thankya ;)

31. Shannon says:

HAHA!!! I thought there was NO HOPE until I read the last bit.

32. wgrune says:

$1.5 million for a bottle of tequila that is still going to taste like an old sock? No thanks.

33. mariospants says:

ha ha MD20/20! I got drunk on that shit in Florida once. About the only time I don’t actually remember what happened…

34. BloggyMcBlogBlog says:

When will people learn that all vodka is just dilluted grain alcohol. It’s not worth more than $20 a bottle.

35. BigElectricCat says:

Wray and Nephew is still in operation, and some of my local liquor stores sell their products (not the old stuff). They make a good overproof rum that’s about 126 proof, IIRC.

36. johnva says:

@BloggyMcBlogBlog: Also, isn’t vodka SUPPOSED to have no taste except for alcohol? I can’t understand why there are so many different vodka brands when the whole theory is that they taste the same. At least with tequila or rum there is the possibility they could taste different.

37. donkeyjote says:

. WANT!

38. joellevand says:

@johnva: Yes, supposed to. But as someone who favors vodka compared to other liquor, trust me, there’s a world of difference, and the cheap shit (Skyy, for example) tastes like ass.

39. drdom says:

I am surprised and shocked that Wild Irish Rose, Night Train, Boone’s Farm and ThunderBird were missing from the list. An unintentional omission I’m sure.

40. henrygates says:

@joellevand: Vodka does taste different, but I’ve found most of the difference is in texture. The cheap stuff is horrible, but once you get into the $20+ range I do not find a $50 bottle ‘better’ than the $20 bottle, just different. It comes down to personal taste.

41. johnva says:

@joellevand: Yes, I agree that the really cheap vodka tastes like crap (and not like vodka is supposed to taste). But I don’t see why there is this proliferation of high end vodka brands, with little to differentiate them except marketing.

42. Mr. Damage says:

@henrygates: You sire, if I may asusme so that you are indeed a sire, have never tried the finest spirit to originate from Texas: Tito’s Handmade Vodak. At around ~$20, runs circles around other Vodaks that are 2x-3x the price.

It is indeed, full of the thing that the internet calls, the Win.

43. TechnoDestructo says:

And of course the really REALLY expensive stuff is just really expensive stuff (or in the case of the tequila, probably ordinary, moderately-priced stuff) covered in gems and precious metals.

It’s like that 25000 dollar MP3 player that was being hyped a few years ago. It was some piece of shit flash player with like 512 megabytes of memory that couldn’t have topped 100 dollars, but it had a gold case, encrusted in diamonds.

Regardless, the spirits aren’t the expensive part.

44. Mr. Damage says:

And, if you want to make spirits sickeningly expensive, throw in some truffles when distilling.

That’ll do.

45. Ragman says:

@henrygates: Same with tequila. The cheap stuff is awful. It gets good once you hit the 100% agave, although there is one “100%” that’s cheap, has a horse on the bottle, and tastes something awful.

Damage: Like that Wall Street burger. Add truffles to quadruple the price.

46. fever says:

If that second bottle is handcrafted by 32 Mexican Craftsmen, then why does it look almost exactly the same as the first bottle? Is “32 Mexican Craftsmen” the name of an industrial robot?

47. bunnymen says:

A lesson hard learned “Friends don’t let friends drink Mad Dog.”

Seriously, the price you pay will far exceed the cost.

48. md 20/20 is very good indeed. at first i was a little iffy of buying it at the store because I saw the price and thought maybe for even almost $3 it wasn’t worth it, but one day I had only $5 on me and I had a taste for “wine” so I took the plunge and got it. I have to say, for $3 it’s pretty damn good. Chugged a whole bottle of it one day, not sure how big the bottle was but it was decent enough to get me buzzed.

49. youbastid says:

@Damage: Tito’s is the best. It’s a hard sell when I’m at the store with friends and they want something good. They don’t believe me, because the bottle isn’t frosted and it’s called “Tito’s” and it’s $18…but damn if it isn’t the smoothest. I prefer it to grey goose.

50. etho says:

I’ll call bullshit on the Diva Vodka. Vodka is vodka, if you aren’t getting rotgut, it’s all mostly the same. You’re paying for the fucking bottle, and you’re paying too damn much.

That 1926 whiskey though… that I might be interested in.

51. astroworf says:

@bunnymen:
    That’s a lesson I learned 35 years ago. I think I would still get sick even smelling the stuff.

52. Jay Slatkin says:

@fever: Yes, and it’s made by 64 German engineers.

53. guevera says:

This is why Osama hates us

54. tony23 says:

If you want something LEGITIMATELY expensive, check out Remy Martin Louis XII – runs around $1300 per bottle, and it’s cognac that has been aged for over 100 years. Yes, it’s in a fancy decanter – but that only accounts for $100.

I’m with most of you: Give me a list of actual liquors, not expensive bottles.

55. edcrowle says:

@youbastid and etho

Yes, it is true that vodka is distilled to about 198 proof and diluted, but it is definitely in the smoothness where the price plays a factor. Another great relatively cheap vodka is three olives (about 20 bone per bottle) which I also find akin to Grey Goose. And if you pay more than that, you are most definitely paying for the fancy-dancy bottle.

56. waitaminute says:

Yeah… the tequila entry is all about the bottle:

Tequila La Ley del Diamante, “The Diamond Sterling” !

The first Tequila Bottle in the World valued at 1 Million Euros

Tequila Ley .925 on the 20th of July 2006, proposed to launch in the following year, a bottle not only dipped in platinum, but also encrusted with diamonds. Now, one year later, after arduous work on the design, we have fulfilled our pledge and have the honor of presenting you with “The Diamond Sterling”. The very first and unique bottle world-wide with an estimated value of 1 Million Euros.

With the sale of this bottle, we hope to break our own Guinness World Record for creating the Most Expensive Bottle in the World ever.

On July 20, 2006, Tequila Ley .925 S.A de C.V. launched into the world market the first collection of Pasión Azteca Tequila bottles, all of which are dipped in precious metals such as platinum, gold and silver.

The Pasión Azteca, white-gold & platinum bottle, established and broke a world record as being the most expensive liquor bottle in the World, when sold to a collector for $225,000 USD.

This sale credited Tequila Ley .925 with world class recognition in the Guinness Book of Records in October 2006, for selling the Most Expensive Bottle in the World.

57. chocxtc says:

I’ll take Mad Dog or Thunderbird anyday when I want to just get f*cked up rather than “drink”