Round 43: Time Warner Cable vs American Airlines

This is Round 43 in our Worst Company in America contest, Time Warner Cable vs American Airlines!Here’s what readers said in previous rounds about why they hate these two companies…

Time Warner Cable:

“My hate for TimeWarner burns with the energy of a trillion gas giant suns.”

“I have almost no choice but Time Warner, and they fuck me over at every opportunity. Their CS is a huge pain in the ass, too. You can call them up about a busted cable box, wait on hold for 45 minutes, and get a call center person who instructs you through 5 different ways of resetting your box.”

“I have to go with Time Warner–they wouldn’t let my mother take my father’s name off of our cable bill They inexpicably cut off service whenever they feel like it. If we need help over the phone we’re redirected to people that don’t even live in the city that we have service in. I’m happy that we have DirecTV instead of Time Warner now–DirecTV is truly a lesser evil than Time Warner. That and stores like Bath and Body Works ask for your address for no reason like Radio Shack but they didn’t make the Worst Company in America cut.”

“Um, I had like 5 different (cracked out) Time Warner “employees” come door to door in during dinner hours and ask me if I wanted to “upgrade” from FiOS to Roadrunner.”

“TWC is the most obnoxious company I have ever dealt with in my life.

Even better, they know it’s either not have cable, or deal with their shit. So they win. “

“Time warner installed my cable and internet a couple months back. Afterwards, the internet wouldn’t work. For over a week they kept asking me to try all sorts of stupid things trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. I had just moved and had Time Warner at old place and internet worked fine, but somehow they still insisted the problem was somehow my fault. Well finally after much hassle I basically got a “oops, we forgot to turn it on.” Thanks Time Warner, for the week of no service and blaming your stupidity on me.”

“Time Warner won’t answer the damn phone!!!”

American Airlines:

“Kinda disgusted that they were able to fly putting lives at risk.”

“AA constantly tries to route me through Dallas, despite my origination point or intended destination
DISAPPROVE”

“You might as well as “which business model is more doomed — renting movies from a store, or the hub & spoke airline system?””

“AA is a microcosm of the entire Airline Industry. Maybe if we let foreign airlines operate domestic flights, the healthy competition would alleviate these problems.”

“Last time I flew on an AA flight they forgot to put a single bag on the plane. I know the blame probably lies between AA and the airport (who hires all baggage handlers). But seriously, how do you leave without having a single checked bag on board? Then they had a very sketchy dude deliver the bag at 1am to my girlfriend’s parent’s house after knocking on every door to the block because the douche couldn’t read the address numbers on the mailbox. Fail.”

“AA is worse because they can trap you on an aircraft for hours on end, or in an airport in a strange city where you know no one and are hungry, tired and filthy. They can ruin your honeymoon or your family’s long-awaited, long-saved-for trip to (God forbid) Disneyland or that booze cruise.”

“Flying American Airlines is hell. My mother hates flying with them because of them constantly overbooking flights(yes, all airlines do it, but my mom was pissed bc my uncle had to drive 3 hours each way to/from the airport for 2 days even though she was early to check-in. My uncle lives abroad and it’s very expensive for gas there and for him to take off work to drive my mom to the airport). And this was before flyers’ rights to hotel, etc were being promoted so much.”

“The problem with American Airlines is NOT with the recall of the planes… that is a condition of a much larger issue. Lets take a look at how many of the employees who took a pay cut for the COMPANY after 9/11 have gotten their pay and benefits back. The mechanics are now in negotiations with the union and the head company and since AA has taken a first quarter loss, due in fact to the planes being taken out of service AA now once again has the upper hand in the negotiations. Is it a coincidence? NO! Look at how much money the management gets for bonuses. It is an insane way to run a company- screw the guys who are actually making it all work and greedy corp america gets paid. And by the way- mechanics do not get to make decisions on what they begin to repair. They could not have changed those wore bundles without first getting direction from the Corp office. They go by a manual. Feeling better about flying with America’s Largeest Airline? Greedy Corp America spells bad conditions for you and me.”

STILL OPEN FOR VOTING: Home Depot vs Wellpoint, Wal-Mart vs Citibank, Capital One vs ATT, Sallie Mae vs eBay/Paypal, TransUnion vs Diebold, Best Buy vs CompUSA, DeBeers vs Verizon, Exxon vs United Airlines, Sony vs Ticketmaster, Comcast vs The American Arbitration Association

Comments

1. Mr. Cynical says:

Wow- first vote. That’s fun.

2. B says:

I vote for Time Warner because they have less competition and are less likely to go away anytime soon.

3. castlecraver says:

TWC should win this, but the story 2 down from this poll could swing some votes in AA’s direction.

4. hellinmyeyes says:

I imagined the news today about the American Airlines decision to charge to check the first bag would make this poll a lot more lopsided. Guess not!

5. Truvill says:

As someone who works at TWC, I’ll vote for us, if only because I had to deal with a really angry customer once who had been relegated to everyone else in the company 10 times before being bounced to me (my job here should NOT have me dealing with any customers unless I was directly responsible for the screw up, which I wasn’t). The only reason that problem got fixed was because I communicated well enough with the other departments and I could calm the customer down to identify what the problem was. As for the rep who screwed up? Never disciplined, although I have since learned that they have been released about a month ago.

6. That was hard. Still, I have to ask, do AA planes run on time, or reasonably so? TWC barely works in good weather; my experience is, the moment three flakes of snow fall, the damned cable goes out, and along with it your internet, and God help you if you’ve gone to some kind of VoIP phone service. If you have, now you’re completely without commo until they get around to fixing it – usually one to two weeks.

If you have the brilliant idea of firing TWC, you’d better hope you can disconnect your bank account/credit card from their autopay system before you do. Otherwise, you’ll spend two or three billing cycles just getting them to stop autobilling you. And lots of luck getting your money back once your service account is closed.

Yes, I was a dick to the customer no-service reps, but not until I’ve been boned in the ass two or three times, been put on hold for hours at a time, been disconnected at least twice, told various versions of “the check is in the mail,” and generally been put through hell.

Is American Airlines that bad? I doubt it.

7. TheRealAbsurdist says:

Let’s see here…

A company that can kill you in a crash of their poorly (to the point of criminal liability), lock you in a poorly ventilated metal tube in summer heat for hours with no food or water, strand you at an airport thousands of miles from home OR your destination with not so much as a “we’re sorry,” “oops, we fucked up,” or even “fuck you, go away,” lose or misplace your luggage and then battle you tooth and nail over any compensation, nickel and dime you on extra charges over and above your published fare, etc…

Vs. a company that might occasionally screw up your cable service.

Yeah, that’s a real hard one.

@Steaming Pile: Yes, AA is that bad. Worse. I was a frequent flier with them (over 50K miles a year) and their service STILL sucked.

8. TheRealAbsurdist says:

edit: poorly (to the point of criminal liability) maintained equipment…

9. ediebeale says:

@TheRealAbsurdist: Right? I mean, I loves me the TV, but I like being alive and not sleeping at the Dallas Fort Worth airport a hell of a lot more. I’m an AA frequent flyer out of neccessity (thanks, work!), and yeah, I’ve got a ton of miles with them and they’re still borderline rude every single time I fly.

10. Raignn says:

No contest. AA.

11. brendanm14 says:

AA just released a statement saying they will be charging $15 per checked bag and cutting flights.

12. brendanm14 says:
  13. Lambasted says:

Asinine Air gets my vote.

14. blackmage439 says:

I have no experience with either company, but here’s my thoughts:

Time Warner: Being without cable? A nuisance. Being without Internet? Maybe lose you some business, if you work from home. Being without phone? Could be dangerous in the event of a 911 emergency. Overall, just a pain in the ass.

AA: Being stuck on the tarmac for 8 hours (or MORE!) without food, water, or working waste disposal? Absolutely inhuman. That is bottom line a human rights violation. I guarantee Amnesty International would shit their pants if they heard a prisoner was held in such conditions. Why the hell these airlines got off scott-free is beyond me.

AA, FTL…

15. toddvm says:

Time Warner is the worst. I was helping someone hook up their internet service and spend hours trying to figure out what the problem was. I then had to give up due to it getting late and ended up having to go back the next evening. During the next day the gentleman called Time Warner and it was an Oops, we forgot to turn a switch on”.
    They wasted my time and made me look like a moron that evening because I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with a simple internet connection.

16. Trai_Dep says:

I was veering towards AA b/c of their general awfulness. Then I realized TWCable is a quasi-monopoly, so they get the nod. The market will take care of AA fine on its own. TWC, OTOH, will remain forever.

17. NotATool says:

I voted for AA because of their asinine fees. Checked luggage – you should get 1 bag free, should be part of the deal! You thought carryons were getting out of hand before…well now that there’s a financial incentive for carryons? Sheesh.

Also, they have gotten how many massive gov’t bailouts and they’re still teetering on financial disaster? Give me a break. Let them fail. There are lots of other airlines “waiting in the wings” to take their business. Let competition and the free market do its job.

18. SOhp101 says:

I voted for TWC only because there’s usually no alternative. Then again, AA has received so much money from the government (which translates indirectly from you), they deserve it too.

19. jaubele1 says:

This was a toss-up for me, until I read this morning’s news about the $15 fee for the first bag you’d like to bring with you on your trip!

American Airlines, please curl up into a ball and die.

20. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@Trai_Dep: Please. We all know that the gubmint will bail AA out again.

21. Trai_Dep says:

@Jaysyn: Ouch. Touché. Silly me, you’re right. Please forgive my spurt of idealism and callowness.

22. Me latest American Airlines funny. Not really a rant, but just something I found humourous!

23. dotyoureyes says:

Bad timing for AA — $15 for your first checked bag?

You, airline … front of the line, please! We have a winner!

24. B Tex says:

I’m sorry to say I worked for AA for 7 years. What a crooked company. It’s pretty bad that a common aircraft fueler can work his way up to become a managing director of aircraft maintenance not based on skill, but his sucking ass abilities. Mark Romanelli and Troy Sokolowski both are simple foul mouthed losers who eventualy screwed up and got what they desivered….fired for embezzelment. But a company that values ass kissing over actual skills…can only go one direction, crashing down like the planes they maintain.

25. theblackdog says:

AA just tipped the scales in their favor with their new bag fee

26. HeartBurnKid says:

Time Warner has absolutely shitty customer service, but I’m not sure how that qualifies them for “Worst Company in America”, myself. They’re definitely a leg up on Comcast, at the very least. Though I’ll change my tune on that if and when they institute those bandwidth caps they tested in Texas.

Still, I do understand why people might vote for them, since they do suck at life. Time Warner missed two appointments to turn on my cable and internet, and when they finally did send somebody out, the guy had no idea how to deal with my Tivo or my wireless router. I had to just let him go through the motions he knew, of setting it up without my stuff, and then just set it up myself.

And then there’s the recent incident when everybody in my area who had the 10/1 internet service experienced crap speeds for about a week and a half, and I got to spend about 2 1/2 hours being pinballed between reps before getting disconnected. Poor documentation, bad attitudes, pointless troubleshooting steps (yes, I’m quite certain my cookies will affect everybody in 2 cities), etc. Total bullshit. At least they did credit my bill, even if they couldn’t tell my issue from their ass or a hole in the ground.

Still, they do, at least, give you the service that they advertise, and I haven’t heard any really egregious news stories on them, so while they’re actively incompetent, I don’t think that makes them the worst company in America. Necessarily.

27. provolone says:

There are many alternatives to AA. If people still choose to fly with them, they can’t be that bad.

Many people have no reasonable alternative to TWC. If I had any alternative, I would not deal with them.

TWC has repeatedly come up with stupid reasons to charge us service fees. We once had a TWC employee show up at our house and change our cable box, just because we changed the name on our bill (one of our roommates was moving out). We were then charged $30 for this ‘service’. The new cable box wound up having problems anyway, which never seemed to be completely resolved over the next couple of years. Eventually we just did without a cable box. I could go on and on about other issues I have had with them. Screw Time Warner. As soon as there are other choices for TV/Internet available to me, I will cut all ties with TWC. If there were an alternative, I would not even take their services for free.

28. nez77 says:

I think people are forgetting the TWC and AOL are the same thing. Put AOL on there and I’m sure TWC would be getting more votes.

29. greg2009 says:

Hello everyone,

My name is greg and I have been screw so many times from time warner cable. I loved comcast. So, today I start to do something about it for myself and people like yourselves as well. I just bought 2 web-sites for people to go to real soon. screwtimewarner.com and screwtimewarnercable.com
    Its time for the monoply to stop and get our freedom back. Talk to you all soon and have a great weekend.

Take Care,