McDonalds Wants To Feed You Fried Chicken For Breakfast

It’s morning in America and McDonald’s is pretty sure you want to eat fried chicken on a biscuit. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that McDonald’s has seen so much cash from their chicken menu items that they’re adding some to the breakfast menu. Get ready to sink your teeth into the Southern Style Chicken Biscuit and the Southern Style Chicken Sandwhich. Chicken sandwich experts (or whatever) accuse McDonald’s of copying Chic-Fil-A which apparently has been offering a chicken breakfast biscuit since 1986.

From the Chicago Tribune:

McDonald’s Southern-style items are simple affairs. The sandwich, which has a suggested retail price of $2.89, comes on plain steamed bun, with butter and two pickles its sole condiments. The biscuit, which goes for $1.89, comes adorned only with butter.

Both arrived in stores nationwide within the past two weeks, and a national ad campaign began last week. On Thursday, customers who buy any medium or large drink at McDonald’s 14,000 U.S. restaurants can receive a free Southern-style sandwich or breakfast biscuit.

In the South, chicken for breakfast has long been popular, as have simple-but-hearty fried chicken sandwiches like Chick-fil-A’s, said West of Stifel Nicolaus. “People in the South love this stuff. The wild card is, will this do as well in the North, in Chicago or Michigan?”

McDonald’s says it has extensively tested its Southern-style items in the North, as well as the South, and that both went over well. For those who think chicken for breakfast might sound bizarre, McDonald’s Thoma pointed to the McGriddle.

Launched in 2003, the McGriddle—eggs and/or meat sandwiched between two pancakes—was seen by some as bizarre, he said. But it became a big hit and a staple of McDonald’s breakfast menu.

“People are venturing outside of their comfort zones,” Thoma said.

What say you, Northerners? Are you going to eat a chicken biscuit for breakfast?

No Beef With Chicken Sales [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. crapple says:

I’m a Michigander by birth – lived there for the first 25.5 years of my life. I’ve been in the Atlanta area for the past 2, and I was skeptical about the ‘chicken biscuit’ phenomena for the first 6 months I was here. But they’re VERY good. I prefer Chik-fil-a’s take on it, but McD’s does a pretty decent job. It’s not like a lunch one, they have a sweeter batter coating.

That said, I also have pretty good willpower, and only have them about once every other month or so – only when I’m out of my smoothie making stuff and didn’t have time to get to the store.

2. amyschiff says:

A Michigander (formerly Ohioan) here. I won’t be going ga-ga over chicken in the morning… but I don’t eat ANY fast food breakfast, so it’s not a huge surprise.

That said, it doesn’t really seem all that crazy of an idea. The pickles might be a bit much though.

3. apotheosis says:

I had one of the biscuits last weekend. It’s very dry, but otherwise it’s okay. Didn’t hate it but I’m not itching to buy another one.

4. cwlodarczyk says:

I was in Michigan last summer for work and the McDs chicken biscuit was offered then. It was good enough to stand its ground against the Chik-fil-a biscuits I’ve had in the past.

5. Serpephone says:

I thought everybody ate chicken biscuits for breakfast!

…note: I live in Texas

6. Anonymous says:

I live in Memphis, and I’ve been enjoying Chick-fil-a’s chicken biscuits and sandwiches for almost 20 years. There is no way mcdonalds can equal what CFA does. It is a blatent attempt to captitalize on the success of a competitor. They even copied the sandwich down to the pickles. Shameless.

7. crapple says:

@amyschiff: No pickles on the breakfast sandwich, just the lunch. Chik-Fil-A and McD’s both do it that way.

@apotheosis: I’m the same way, I added cheese after my 1st trial. Extra healthy.

8. cybercjh says:

I’m glad they’re serving more chicken. Not everyone wants pork sausage or bacon or ham for breakfast or a hamburger for lunch. The new southern style chicken sandwiches are, in my opinion, the first GOOD thing McDonalds has ever made, next to their coffee, of course. :)

9. DCGaymer says:

I admit it…I’ve eaten two of these…they are bad for me I know….I must stay away from McDevil.

10. Javert says:

I used my free coupon here in Mass for mine. Not bad, not great…different? Dry was a good description. Also, they were giving away samples of their sweet tea today outside of the train station. Now this is something that I do like because there is really nothing like fresh brewed sweet tea.

11. naptownk says:

There is no way I would eat anything from McDonalds, they are an evil empire, just like Walmart. There’s a reason that they have those Ronald McDonald houses, they have to pretend like their food doesn’t cause health issues.

12. apotheosis says:

@crapple: I still subscribe to the “cheese is a healthy dairy product that will give you strong teeth and bones” school of Saturday-morning cartoon
    dietary advice.

Screw all these new-age “cholesterol” weenies.

13. hypnotik_jello says:

Whatever happened to eating oatmeal or fruit for breakfast?

14. ophmarketing says:

I’m ashamed to admit that I tried one of these. I’m even more ashamed to admit that I actually liked it and had another one a week later.

They’re no Chik-Fil-A–not by a long stretch–but they’ll do in a pinch.

I feel very dirty now.

15. crapple says:

@apotheosis: No, I agree that cheese can be good for you. I just know they’re putting knock-off kraft singles on it…and that’s not cheese to me. It’s not much better than the plastic it’s shipped in. At home I have control over what cheese I buy, and I try to go for the 2% milk-fat, and still go sparingly.

16. reviarg says:

I don’t eat fast food for breakfast very often but when I do I’m always disappointed that all the breakfast sandwiches contain pork. Since I don’t eat pork, it’s always been a problem ordering at these places. I think it’s nice that McDonalds is starting to offer a chicken alternative in the morning. Will I go out to eat for breakfast more now? No, but on those rare occasions when I do get fast-food breakfast I will now probably visit McDonalds.

17. I’ve given up on McDonalds. The only time I eat there now is when I’m on travel and other people in the car want to eat there.

The Chic-fil-a breakfast chicken sandwiches are pretty decent though. I had them once on my last business trip.

18. ophmarketing says:

@apotheosis: As a child of the 70s, I, too hanker for a hunk-a, a slab a slice a chunk-a, I hanker for a hunk-a cheese! :-)

19. crapple says:

@hypnotik_jello: I make super smoothies 95% of the time – oatmeal, almonds, cinnamon, blueberries, pomegranate juice, and nonfat yogurt. But every once in awhile, do I poison myself with some Chik-Fil-A for breakfast.

20. Kajj says:

@naptownk: While I support any use of “evil empire” in daily discourse, I have to point out that Ronald McDonald house is for the families of children with cancer and doesn’t have anything to do with McDonald’s food, aside from funding. Cue “Cancer? Serves ‘em right for…” in 1, 2, 3…

21. apotheosis says:

@ophmarketing: Oh HELL yes!

22. missdona says:
  23. crapple says:

@apotheosis: @missdona:

Someone owes someone a coke.

24. jeffjohnvol says:

Hardees has been doing this for years with their frisco sandwich (I think its chicken, LOL).

I still think its funny that McDonalds sells more chicken than KFC, yet PETA protests KFC even though they use the same suppliers.

25. B says:

isn’t this the sandwich they’re giving away free tomorrow? Along with Dunkin Donuts giving away free iced coffee? Sounds like breakfast plans to me. Or possibly lunch.

26. Chols says:

they’ve been serving chicken on a biscuit at my old elementary, middle, and high schools for years. so yeah, we eat this in the south.

btw it was on the ms gulf coast

27. Eels says:

I saw a commercial for this while I was at work, so I wasn’t actually paying attention to it and didn’t think it was real. It sounds gross to me, but then again I am from the Northeast.

I’m still waiting to try a McGriddle. They sound delicious but McDonalds is too far away to be worth a trip for breakfast, not to mention the fact that I will almost never eat that kind of food because I care about my body.

28. lastingsmilledge says:

@CaptainCynic: shameless? it’s called competition, and our entire economic system is built on it.

although i fail to see why it’s necessary to eat meat for breakfast, it is nice to have a non-pork option.

here’s the fat/sat fat content…. sandwich: 19g/29%, 3g/16%;

breakfast “regular size” biscuit: 20g/31%, 8g/42% + 50% of your sodium RDA! if you add gravy, seeee yah!

the basic mcchicken sans mayo (add salsa instead) comes out to 11g/17%, 2.5g/13% – if i need to eat mcdonalds i’ll probably stick with that.

29. kepster says:

Chicken for breakfast sounds gross. We stick to the classics up here in NYC.
    Unless, of course, it’s chicken with waffles. That is some good stuff.

30. ophmarketing says:

@apotheosis:

@missdona:

How sweet is that? God, I love the 21st century. :-)

31. theblackdog says:

I’m tempted to try this, but I have the feeling I’ll end up sticking with Chic-Fil-A’s sandwiches, that stuff is crack.

32. Sndtrkman says:

I’m an Illinoisan since birth and I must say that this does not look appetizing at all. I feel really bad for the people who gorge themselves on products such as this because it only adds to the stereotype that all Americans are fat (even though that can be true at times). I for one, won’t be eating this or anything from McDonald’s (haven’t for a few months now and my heart thanks me for that lol).

33. rachaeljean says:

I’m in the North West. There’s no way in HELL I’m eating one of those things! It just sounds…. gross. Chicken in the MORNING!? FRIED chicken too. The biscuit looks alright though. But, biscuit + fried chicken? Sounds dry and like it might make me gag a bit. I’ll stick to my egg mcmuffin w/o meat and coffee!

34. ryan89 says:

Accused of copying the chicken breakfast sandwich from chick-fil-a? Did all of the fast food places accuse each other of copying when they first started selling burgers, or fries, or chicken (strips/nuggets/stix)??

35. apotheosis says:

ophmarketing:
    And now I’m watching the “don’t drown your food” PSA.

It’s like I’m back on the floor in front of the TV in footy pajamas, eating the marshmallows out of a box of Lucky Charms before my parents woke up.

36. GreatMoose says:

We’ve had ‘em down here in TX for weeks. They’re not bad, but Chik-Fil-A’s are definitely better.

37. @cybercjh: Yeah! No swine for me.

The biscuits are REALLY good. Like, I never eat at McDonald’s, but I got a coupon for the chicken sandwich, and…yeah…it’s kind of a bad scene for me now.

What I DISLIKE about McDonald’s for breakfast normally is that if you don’t get the meat on your breakfast sandwich, they won’t replace it with extra egg, unlike Burger King or Jack in the Box. They’ll only upgrade you to a “folded” egg, so you’re still getting less protein than if you had gotten the meat, and they still charge you the same. Like they’re punishing you for not wanting swineflesh.

38. timmus says:

If you’re going to to copy Chik-Fil-A, you better get the part right about using no trans-fats. That’s the reason we avoid all other fast food chicken. Well, Chik-Fil-A chicken is also higher quality, and I don’t see Sonic, McDonalds, or KFC improving on that anytime soon.

39. Youthier says:

Another resident of Michigan reporting in – I went to McD’s for the first time in months this past weekend and I saw a sign for this at the drive-thru and it looked delicious.

Of course, I always like non-breakfast food for breakfast. As a kid, my mom would fix my brother cereal and toast before school and me leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Mmm!

40. As a general rule, I don’t eat fast food. And I don’t like biscuits that much.

The ONLY exception I make is for Chik-Fil-A biscuits, which is so awesome it makes me break two rules at once.

41. I should probably add that I’m in CA. I don’t think it’s gross to eat chicken for breakfast. I thought a great American breakfast tradition was cold leftovers (fried chicken, pizza, etc) for breakfast. I don’t see what’s so bad about having hot chicken, and it’s a safer bet for non-pork eaters than, say hamburger patty with eggs (which would be good, but I’ve been to places where they purposely give you pork sausage patty instead and then glare at you when you can tell the difference by smelling it).

42. loganmo says:

They’ve had the breakfast chicken things in DC for at least a couple of years-not too bad actually.

43. kc2idf says:

I won’t be getting these, but only because I am a vegetarian. I think that in my pre-vegetarian days, I would have snapped one up in a heartbeat. Then again, my mother is a southerner, and, as such, steak and eggs, amongst other things, were considered fairly normal breakfast fare. I’m one of few northerners who actually likes grits.

That said, I honestly have never had a clear understanding of why we designate some foods as breakfast foods, and others as only being suitable for other meals.

For example, as a teenager, I ate burritos for breakfast before the fast-food places started selling breakfast burritos. I mean a real burrito, with beans and cheese and hot sauce in it.

Then again, there was a tradition in my father’s northern side of the family for the longest time (although this tradition pretty much died shortly after my grandparents did) of getting the whole family together on Saturday evenings for dinner, which, according to tradition, was pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs . . . you know, “breakfast” foods.

I once knew a guy from Holland who told me that he didn’t understand how we Americans could eat breakfast the way we do. His sense was that pancakes for breakfast was far too heavy, and, given the choice, he would have opted instead for a sandwich. Well, here you go, Gert-Jan. Have a chicken sandwich.

44. flipx says:

Sittin here in Can-A-der I say hell I want one. Wonder if I will get the chance to try one out with out a trip across the border? Who makes the Chik-Fil-A’s they sound tasty.

45. Phildawg says:

Chick-fil-a is so awesome! OMG I LOVE their sandwiches =)

I have tried the southern-style chicken sandwich at McD’s, but it’s not comparison. The bun’s the McD’s uses are not very good and the chicken seems like a slight upgrade to a chicken nugget… lol =)

46. freakinalex says:

I’ll stick to Whataburger’s honey butter chicken biscuit, thanks.

47. eh3 says:

Three words: Chicken, Egg, and Cheese. Skip Mickey Ds though- head over to Chick Fil A and get the sunflower bagel.

You’ll thank me.

48. TheMattSmith says:

Wisconsinite here.

The only 2 things I miss about the 2 years I lived in Orlando are its proximity to the ocean (as compared to Milwaukee) and CFA breakfast chicken sandwiches.

49. hi says:

BOJANGLE’s chiken biscuits are much better.

50. V-effekt says:

Cheap copy of Chic-Fil-A. BUt I was glad to know it was my right to have chicken for breakfast. What about my right not to be asked for a receipt upon leaving a store?@freakinalex:

51. TC2COOL says:

I get my chicken biscuits at the gas station. As weird as that sounds, they are great, much better than Chik-fil-A or McDonalds.

And for all ya’ll who think chicken biscuits are weird southern food, what about the fried chicken and waffles with syrup that Californians eat? Gross.

52. witeowl says:

I’m enjoying all of the people acting disgusted at the thought of fried chicken in the morning. I wonder how many of them eat breakfast sausage. Yeah, that’s healthier.

Of course, I don’t believe in the bans of certain foods at certain times. Fried egg for dinner? Why not, if that’s what you’re craving. Lean steak and salad for breakfast? Sure, it’s probably healthier than what most of my neighbors are eating right now.

Tangent alert: I was once sitting in the breakroom at the end of my graveyard shift, eating some chips and dip. A day-shift co-worker saw my snack and scolded me for my unhealthy “breakfast”. Huh? Any breakfast for me would have been at 10pm the night before when I woke up from my 8-hours of sleep. I tried to explain, but all she could do is keep repeating, “Nice breakfast.”

Some people are clueless AND judgmental. Oh, wait, I guess you can’t have one without the other.

53. ViperBorg says:

In the Chicago area now. Nope, not touching that crap here.

54. MissPeacock says:

I’m from Alabama and I had no idea that so many people did not eat chicken for breakfast. It’s just so normal down here. My favorite breakfast ever is the Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit. OMG, delicious.

55. jlhoover says:

Here in southern Ohio, most of the fast food places have chicken on biscuit in the morning. Arbys and Burger King have had them for a while. Not sure if thats nationwide or not though.

56. MeOhMy says:

I’m from the northeast but never realized that chicken for breakfast was in some way not universal. Weird.

Instead of cribbing Chik-Fil-A, they should instead come up with something that is like a McGriddle with chicken in it – Chicken and waffles anyone?

57. cronomorph says:

Living in Atlanta, they’ve been offering a chicken buiscuit and sandwhich since at least late 2005/ early 2006.

I haven’t tried the sandwich yet, because I hate pickles and don’t trust McD’s employees to make me one without the accursed things, they’d probably take the pickle off one in the back and send it forward, and then you have pickle flavor soaked into the bun, and that sucks.

I have tried the biscuit though, and it’s pretty bland. The few times I’ve tried it, the buiscuit has been kinda crumbly and the chicken has an odd flavor to it.

Chick-fil-a definetly has far superior chicken breakfasts. Their chicken buiscuit is far superior, and the chicken mini’s are a favorite of mine. (Though the question of who has better has browns is up for debate)

58. BlondeGrlz says:

@Serpephone: I reccently discovered chicken and waffles for breakfast. Even though I was confused by the idea, I now feel they should be mandatory on all breakfast menus.

59. BlondeGrlz says:

@Troy F.: Jinx! Buy you a sweet tea?

60. Blackcloud75 says:

As far as chicken biscuits go, the one from McDs is ok. It’s no CFA tho. The chicken sandwich, however, leaves much to be desired. This thing comes nowhere near the gold standard of chicken sandwiches(CFA). It has that “I was fried in the grease that they fry everything else in” taste. Also, the one that I purchased had enough butter on the bread to bake a cake. Maybe McDs should take a lesson from CFA and concentrate on having a few great products instead of 50 bazillion mediocre ones. Think about it. How many times have you purchased, lets say a simple cheeseburger, to find that it didn’t taste exactly the same as the last time you purchased one. Too many onions- too much ketchup- too dry. It really varies depending on the time of day and who’s making the burgers. CFA, on the other hand, delivers a quality product time and time again with virtually no variation. Like many of McDs offerings, this one may be around for a season, but will probably not become a staple of their menu. How many chicken sandwhiches will it take for McDs to figure out that CFA has cornered the market?

61. ringo00 says:

This is nothing new. They are absolutely right about copying Chick-fil-a. It is the exact same sandwich. The chicken biscuit was also served by Hardees before the Carl’s Jr. buy-out, as was a steak biscuit.

62. Wormfather says:

My name is Dr. Jarvis, inventor of the artificial heart and I approve of this breakfast sandwich.

No, seriously, it’s good, I’ve had two already.

63. Wormfather says:

…and I represent the Connecticut contengency.

64. dr.zaeus says:

Chik-Fil-A needs to be open on Sunday.

Period.

65. Nighthawk Foo says:

Cold cereal for the win!

66. Consumer007 says:

I really love chicken biscuits. Frankly McStupid’s was a little slow to pick up on this trend, but Wendy’s has also done the same thing – sign of healthy competition. I have to agree though Chik-Fil-A’s are the best around. McDonald’s chickie sandwiches have a ever so slight funny aftertaste…

67. @dr.zaeus:

backed 100%

The McDonald’s CFA knock offs are passable, but, I would much rather eat the original.

68. ringo00 says:

@Consumer007: The aftertaste is caused by using the same fryers for all of the fried food. Chick-fil-a uses separate fryers for the chicken and the fries. They are not cooked together and they are cooked in peanut oil.

69. @dr.zaeus: CFA doesn’t need to be open on Sunday.

Amazing in this century that someone can stick to solid, traditional, old-fashioned principals and still rock the competition.

Besides, I’d venture a guess that they would actually do worse if they were open on Sunday. Christianity is a core part of their foundation and I think that’s a strong part of their following. Opening on Sunday would irritate a lot of people.

70. Rando says:

I’ve actually had both the lunch version and the breakfast version from McDonalds. The sandwiches definitely are copies from Chic-Fil-A but are pretty tasty. It actually tastes and looks like real chicken!

71. patgillen says:

If you’re near a Bojangles… those are really the best!

72. Streyeder says:

NOTHING beats a Chick-fil-A chicken biscuit in the morning! NOTHING!!!!!!

Mmmm….it’s my kryptonite…

73. Shinzou says:

Let’s see, Hardee’s also sells a chicken biscuit for breakfast depending on where you are. Chik-fil-a is awesome, but where I am I can’t get breakfast there. And yes, like someone else mentioned, Bojangles has the best chicken biscuit anywhere. Too bad I don’t live in North Carolina anymore.

74. dereksea says:

I saw a bus advertisement for these yesterday and it said, “Ya’ll NEVER tasted chicken like this.” I heard the ad in my head being read by Paula Dean.

75. Consumer007 says:

@dr.zaeus: Yeah I’m torn on the Sunday thing – I would love to see that for myself, but I think I saw a placard they had out one Sunday saying it was tradition to give people a day off. Maybe if they made sure that everyone had two days off and revolved them around fairly, you’re right, there’s no reason they can’t change that and be competitive on Sundays, especially as that is a profit opportunity for those who aren’t of the church-think mindset.

76. lasciate says:

I don’t believe in limiting breakfast to just traditional breakfast foods (most of which I don’t like), so the the thought of fried chicken on a buttermilk biscuit for breakfast is heavenly. The thought of fried chicken on a gross chalky McDonalds biscuit is pretty repulsive though.

77. Mayor McRib says:

You had me at fried.

@Troy F.:
    Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

If you haven’t had the Chicken Biscuit from Whataburger, McDonalds or Chick-fil-a you are missing it. Although you are probably much lighter for it.

Cheese & Cheesefood are both excellent sources of nutrition.

78. renilyn says:

@flipx: you can only have one if you send me some gravy fries from up there…. THAT should clog an artery or two ;)

79. katylostherart says:

if we could get some real southern breakfast, or southern food in general up here i might be willing to try it. as it is i can’t even get biscuits and gravy except at denny’s where i’m afraid those aren’t sausage lumps in the gravy. so they took their mcchicken patty and stuck it on a biscuit, meh.

can’t we just have sweet tea? or real chicken fried steak somewhere now and then?

80. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@Ash78: That’s “principles.” The man whose principles they were, Truett Cathy, is dead now. It’s been a long time since I was in his Bible study. The stores are not actually closed “to give everyone a day off.” The stores are closed because Truett thought that a day of “rest” was mandated by the Bible.

I would like CFA to be open on Sunday, and so would lots of the college students that CFA hires. To close on Sunday will not force people to go sit in church on Sunday morning, believe me.

81. audreyhorne says:

“McDonalds wants to feed you fried chicken for breakfast”.
    Wait, does someone not want to be fed fried chicken for breakfast?

82. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@katylostherart: My father is a Hungarian immigrant. I grew up calling it “Wienerschnitzel.” When we moved to Texas and Dad saw it called “chicken fried steak” (no hyphen, even), he laughed and laughed.

83. Snarkysnake says:

Another “me too” product from a company that (like Hollywood) hasn’t had an original thought since….About 1968,I think.

Chick Fil A is not for everybody. They don’t do burgers and they certainly don’t try to lure you in by saturating the airwaves with clowns and cheap toys. But their chicken biscuit is delicious. Their drive through is not a shipwreck. the employees are a LOT nicer than the bored teenagers at McDonalds.

That said, if you want to try this as a “new frontier” for breakfast,you owe it to yourself to try CFA at least once. (But not on Sunday- they are closed). Mc Donalds does this a s a(small) sidelight to their main business. CFA does this as the major part of their existence. Who do you think would do a better job? Don’t trust your chicken biscuit to just anybody…Get the original.

This message brought to you by somebody who eats there WAYYYY too often.

84. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@speedwell: Oh, one last thing… here in Texas, we have the utterly nutty dish, “chicken fried chicken.” It is a complete breast of chicken (both halves still connected, deboned, lightly hammered with a meat mallet, breaded, and fried, in just the same way a slice of cheap beef is prepared for “chicken fried steak.”

85. spoco says:

As a southerner I have to inform you Northerners that Chicken biscuits are a thing of the past – CFA’s Chieken minis are the new rage in the South.

Get with the times, yankees!

86. DeafChick says:

I liked it the first time when it was called “Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles”.

87. Scotus says:

As much as I hate giving McDonald’s credit, the chicken biscuits really are awesome. They’ve probably taken at least two years off my life expectancy since they came out, but they’re so worth it.

If they’d bring back the McRib, I’d never need to eat anywhere else.

88. snm.grr says:

We’ve had these for MONTHS in Grand Rapids. I would like to point out that the southern style sandwich, while devoid of any veggie other than a couple of pickles, does not have mayo slathered all over it. It is the BEST chicken sandwich I’ve ever had at the McD. The breakfast biscuit does NOT have the pickles, at least not the way they make it here. Supposedly, they have replaced all their fired chicken snadwiches with this version of the chicken, it’s been so popular. healthy? not on your life. But I give them kudos for the tastiest thing since their newest salads.

89. Mrs. Winners Chicken Biscuit FTW

90. Saboth says:

Several companies seem to be trying to duplicate the chikfila taste…arbies came out with a southern chicken sandwhich, now mcdonalds. Neither can compare though. Arbies tasted similar, but was far too small for the price. Mcdonalds was also similar and small, but not as juicy and flavorful.

91. spoco says:

By the way Chick fil A fans – it is very very close.

[www.recipezaar.com]

92. urban_ninjya says:

Totally love the idea. For a long time all the fast food joints during the morning hours has been a sausage fest. It’s good to have some chicks back on the menu.

93. t2technology says:

THESE THINGS ARE FREAKING AWESOME… I live in the chicago are and the closest Chik-fil-a is an hour and a half away.

I tried one of these and immediately it brought me back to my childhood in South Carolina.

These are so close that I can’t even tell the difference (well it has been 2 years since I had the real thing).

Thanks McD’s YOU ROCK

94. Xay says:

There are parts of the country that don’t have chicken biscuits as a breakfast option? Really?

@pr0FF3ss0r_j3rkwh3at: Yes. Oh yes.

95. Thoria says:

I’m a Southerner by birth and rearing, and the idea of fried chicken for breakfast is off-putting. If I want a high-calorie breakfast, I’ll take pancakes or biscuits and gravy, thanks.

96. CPC24 says:

@speedwell: He’s not dead. I saw him on TV a few weeks ago.

I actually like the McDonald’s biscuit better; it doesn’t have all the “butter”, so it’s not as greasy. However, the sandwich is better at Chick-Fil-A.

97. Xay says:

@speedwell: Truett Cathy isn’t dead. He was the Grand Marshall at a parade in my city a few months ago.

98. forgottenpassword says:

Never been much of a “chicken sandwich” fan.

I prefer traditional fast food breakfast sandwich options.

Note: there are very few chic-fil-a places where I live. And they dont seem to ever advertise for some reason. I assumed there were none because I have never seen one, but after checking online …it seems there are a few (mostly located in malls).

99. Xay says:

@Snarkysnake: CFA has the best children’s “toys” though – with the exception of the Focus on the Family propaganda. They actually give away good educational stuff – right now my local CFA is giving away language CDs. My son looks forward to the book giveaways.

100. SadSam says:

Slightly off topic, but I found it odd that my latest amazon.com order included coupons for these So. style McDs chix breakfast options.

101. Papagoose says:

As a new resident of the Atlanta area, I thought chicken for breakfast sounded terrible. I’m not hopelessly addicted to chicken biscuits and sweet tea as many mornings as I can get it. Bojangles is the best, followed by Chick Fil A, then McDonalds. Burger King is advertising them now too.

102. BigElectricCat says:

I’m a Suthun boy, and I really enjoy CFA’s meal items. Except for the biscuits; they’re too dry for me. But they do offer breakfast alternatives — you can get a breakfast burrito, or the yummy breakfast Chicken Minis. You can get either three or four Minis, and they’re essentially the lunch/dinner chicken nuggets inside soft, roll-like bread. I think they also brush the tops of the rolls with butter or oil or something to make them moister. I find them much less dry than the biscuits.

Also, Eat This, Not That gave CFA high marks; the book said that CFA was the only fast-food chain where all of the entrees were 500 calories or less.

103. Re: Christianity

I think that if the restaurant were called Kafta-fil-a and was closed during the day in October on religious grounds, we’d probably be applauding the availability of such authentic middle-eastern food.

104. TangDrinker says:

If you’re ever in the Carolinas, please give Bojangle’s a chance. Their biscuits are much better than CFA. CFA’s are rather sweet. Bojangle’s are light as a feather.

I have had the McD’s southern style chicken sandwich and I have to admit it was a poor copy of CFA. The breading seemed to be a bit off.

Oh, and CFA’s side salad is the bomb – $1.75 for a salad you’d want to eat, filled with more than just iceberg lettuce. Sorry to throw something healthy into the debate.

105. deadbob says:

First it was the Sweet Tea in a styrofoam cup, and now the Chicken. I tried that over greasy breakfast chicken crap at Mc D’s the other day man did it suck!

I guess I’ll continue to get my chicken biscuit fix from Chick-Fil-A thank you very much.

FYI, Burger King has joined into the game too. They have a flat dried out piece of chicken on a dry biscuit. Mmmm, Mmmm, Good….NOT!

106. boomerang86 says:

It won’t be long until the McD’s sausage biscuit makes its way to the dollar menu!

107. Anitra says:

Northeasterner born and bred… I’d try a chicken biscuit for breakfast. But probably only because (a) I prefer chicken to beef/sausage/bacon and (b) my doctor told me I need to eat more protein at breakfast (I’m pregnant).

108. ChuckECheese says:

@deadbob: It seems all the fast food places are cannibalizing each other. And it tastes like chicken.

A middle-eastern chicken place would be called “shwarma fil-a,” and it would be closed 5 times a day, every day, for salat, and all day on Friday. It would be open every night after sundown during Ramadan. It would have good chicken and excellent garlicy salads. Women eating alone would be beaten with switches.

109. Had one of these last week while on a trip to Grand Rapids, MI. I found it more tolerable than McDonald’s other breakfast sandwiches.

Anyway, I ordered a book and an CD from Amazon last week, and they arrived with coupons for chicken biscuit sandwiches. (Which is slightly more useful to me than the brochures for furniture and women’s shoes that Amazon used to include.) Another sign that McDonald’s is going to push this sandwich pretty hard, I guess.

110. MBZ321 says:

I’ve eaten the Chik-Fil-A breakfast things (I would never pay for them…they were brought in free at a work function) and based on that, I would never attempt to buy the McDonald’s one. Think about a piece of semi-cold chicken in a stale roll, except the roll tastes like it was soaked in butter and Crisco for a while. MMM!

111. TPS Reporter says:

I’m from Arizona and I’m not sure if I would like a chicken sandwich for breakfast. Of course I don’t like the McGriddles either. My wife does.

112. I don’t even think we have any Chick-Fil-As out here in Jersey. I haven’t seen any.

Anyway, I had one of the McD’s chicken biscuits for breakfast the other day, along with a McGriddle. It was good. But about an hour later, I was reminded why I don’t eat McDonald’s that often. Oof.

113. ShadowFalls says:

McDonald’s couldn’t be copying Chick-Fil-A. Chick-Fil-A actually tastes good.

114. katylostherart says:

@speedwell: i like when the meal is obvious to what it is.

like when you see the words “black pudding” do you think coagulated pigs blood with barley and seasoning? no. if they called it oaty scab or something i’d be much happier.

[en.wikipedia.org]

of course you don’t really get chicken fried veal at roadside diners :(

115. Namrepus says:

Northerner here.

I love Chick-fil-a…but the only time I can ever get in range of one… is on a sunday at the mall.

But I’ve had the sandwich at McD’s where I work, and I really like it. Not a fan of the pickles on the lunch/dinner sandwich it however cause they are really out of place.

And I perfer to have cheese and/or mayo on the breakfast biscuit.

116. @deadbob: Oh snap! Mickey D’s got sweet tea? Hot damn I’m getting some today!

Their fries are addictive. Did you know they are coated in sugar and fried in beef fat. Yum!

117. unchi says:

@CPC24: you can get the CFA sandwiches without butter. You just have to ask. They even have a little sticker for “no butter”. I get mine that way.

Also, i don’t like the CFA biscuits because they fall apart way too easily because they are so dry. Hardee’s chicken biscuit sandwich is AMAZING. Too bad there are none ITP-Atlanta. Used to get those all the time when I lived in Alabama. MickeyD’s b’fast sandwiches are all right.

Wendy’s breakfast is nice b/c you can get biscuit and gravy fast food. I mean besides Carl’s/Hardee’s, where else can you get that!

118. SpdRacer says:

How is it copycatting for McD’s to offer Chicken Biscuits now, but it isn’t for Hardee’s which just started offering the same thing (Chicken Biscuits)?

119. Doug81 says:

The McDonald’s in Ga must have had this for like a year or two by now. I had assumed that it was served everywhere. People around here love their breakfast biscuits.

120. Doug81 says:

@ceejeemcbeegee (AKA!): Yeah, it’s a dollar and they give a large Styrofoam cup that seems to be specifically for the tea.

121. marchhare22 says:

I live in WI and I tell you I will NOT be eating those for breakfast.

122. okvol says:

Over 10 years ago I used to get Chick-fil-a’s chicken biscuit with egg. They found my order strange, but they were glad to sell it too me. This was at one of the first stand-alone shops in Oak Ridge, TN.

123. RokMartian says:

The southern style that McD is now offering is extremely good – better than the chicken biscuit that they served before. (But CFA still rules)

124. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@xay: You’re thinking of his son, I think, Truett Cathy Jr. Correct me if I’m wrong.

125. Lambasted says:

@spoco: Thanks for the recipe link.

So it’s powdered sugar that makes CFA chicken taste so sweet? I would have never thought to use powered sugar in fried chicken. I will have to try it and see how it turns out.

126. irfan says:

they should have kept the original mcchicken biscuit they had over the winter here in columbus ohio. then it got replaced by this southern style one that isnt nearly as delicious. its a shame the southern style is going national and not the original version. The biscuit is not as dry anymore tho, so thats better.

127. Angryrider says:

Chuh… I’ve had fried chicken sandwiches sometimes for breakfast because my bakery sells them. I even ate one at Wendy’s.
    Can’t wait for tomorrow’s deal.

128. HeartBurnKid says:

@Ash78: You know, I was all set to find whoever it was that was bashing CFA just for being Christian and give him what-for because of your comment. I’m an atheist myself, but what somebody’s business practices is frankly none of my business myself, and I am a big fan of In-N-Out (a burger place out on the west coast with very similar principles).

So I go back through the thread, and the closest thing I can find to Christian-bashing is a mention that they should be open on Sundays.

So, then, I’m forced to conclude that you’re simply being an assclown.

129. Scuba Steve says:

@Ash78: Funny thing, we actually had Chick-fil-a for brunch, on Sunday, in a church.

Yes, it was from Saturday. At least, we all knew it was.

130. nardo218 says:

From PA. I’d eat chicken for breakfast, but not that. Butter on fried chicken with pickles? Um, maybe if I was pregnant.

131. DrGirlfriend says:

I was never much into fried chicken for breakfast either.

And then I had the most mind-bendingly wonderful breakfast sandwich at a new place here in Portland. Fried chicken in a homemade biscuit. Mushroom gravy. A fried egg. Heart attack waiting to happen? Probably. Delicious? Ohmygodsogood. I’m sold now. (Not to say that McD’s will be even half as tasty, but I just want to show some support for the chicken-for-breakfast idea. And for the Portlanders, it’s Pine State Biscuits on 36th & Belmont. No, I am not a shill for them nor, am I employed there, nor do I know the owners or any employees.)

132. laddibugg says:

One of the Burger Kings around here (Northern NJ) has a chicken biscuit for breakfast….they’ve been offering it for years. I haven’t seen another BK that does the same.

133. Pop Socket says:

I’ve been eating chicken biscuits for breakfast from Mrs. Winners (an Atlanta based chain) since the early 80s.

134. DaisyGatsby says:

Well, so much for my ritual of a bagel in the morning…this sounds ridiculously good…

135. spoco says:

@Lambasted:

same thing I thought. Sugar? In fried chicken? I tried it – even fried it in peanut oil. It isn’t exact, but the taste is very close. My wife could only tell the difference because of the texture.

136. spoco says:

and I agree with all Mrs. Winners’ fans. I lived in Hashville for a while and I used to get those chicken biscuits for dinner.

137. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Nice try, McDonalds, but I shant discontinue eating McGriddles. Sorry.

138. houston2882 says:

Chicken and a Pepsi for B’fast but gotta have some grits too!
    I will try mine tomorrow. for free, sure. for dollars it is Chick-fil-a !

139. trujunglist says:

What a Chic-Fil-A rip off. I think I’m going to open a fast food place called O’Donnells. I’m sure they won’t have a problem with that.

140. WingZero987 says:

No waffle fries? No dice, McD’s.

141. TheRealAbsurdist says:

What? No chicken McGriddles?

142. anmlStyl says:

Jealous that the closest CFA is in Fairfield, CA (almost forever to get there and gas? pffftff!) I’ve saw and tried both the breakfast and lunch/dinner southern style offerings. Mmm. Still can’t compare it to CFA yet, as I’ve not tried it yet.

Oh, and the McDs I hit in South San Francisco off Gellert Blvd (near Pak n Save) has a 32oz Sweet Tea drink offer for $1. Mighty tasty.

Those sandwiches are a bit spendy, tho.

143. sean77 says:

can I get it with eggs too? I have a grudge against chicken.. and a single breakfast item that spans two generations of chicken is efficient.

144. rlee says:

As a northerner, I’m willing to give ‘em try, except… I can’t believe it took 8.5 hours for someone to comment on the prices. $2.89? $1.89? Seriously?

145. mavrc says:

I don’t know about the regular sandwich, but the breakfast sandwich is one of the most bland, boring things I’ve ever tasted.

I bought one hoping that it would taste even remotely as good as the sandwiches I got at Chick-Fil-A the last time I was in Texas. I was sorely disappointed.

Damn, I really wish there was a Chick-Fil-A around here.

146. WingZero987 says:

HEADLINE: McDonalds gives people a choice on what to eat. Individual responsibility ignored by the Consumerist.

147. @theblackdog: Oh how I miss Chic-Fil-A sandwiches. I can’t find them out in northern California (grumble) – so I’ll probably give this a try, and see if it’s a worthy replacement.

148. akalish says:

McD’s vs. CFA isn’t all about who does it right–it’s about who’s located where. If you have a McD’s a mile away and there isn’t a CFA for 5 miles, most people (especially in this lazy/high gas price society) would stick with what’s closer.

Coincidentally I had a chicken biscuit this morning and was completely underwhelmed. It tasted ok, but definitely didn’t make me understand why people rave about this breakfast. Obviously I need to try one from CFA–which ironically is over 20 miles away. On second thought, why bother?…

149. cuyahoga1 says:

TRUE southerners know that Truett Cathey of Chick-fil-a stole the idea from Waffle House. Check out this photo advertising Chick-fil-a sandwich at Waffle House Restuarant #1, Avondale Estates, GA, from 1964:

[www.atlantatimemachine.com]

Regardless, nothing beats a chicken biscuit in the morning!

150. Xay says:
  151. B says:

@akalish: 5 miles? Try 500. The nearest CFA is Maryland or Pennsylvania, and there are two McDs in my town. Chic-Fil-A just isn’t an option. I’d love to try one sometime, though.

152. Channing says:

I’d eat it.

153. jjuiop says:

I work at a Chick-Fil-A and I can say the real difference between our sandwiches and the ones from McDonalds is we use real meat. Im sure McDonalds’ come frozen, pre-packaged and boxed at the place they get all of the rest of their food. At Chick-Fil-A, twice a week we get in shipments of chicken, fresh raw chicken. Every 20 minutes the kitchen staff hand breads every single piece of meat, rather a sandwich, nugget, or strip. I’d say 95% of everything we sale we hand make with the exceptions being brownies, cheesecake, and lemon pie. As to the comment above, no I don’t believe that we should be open on Sunday’s. Its nice to have a day off of work to be with your family and go to church. Being in high school, Chick-Fil-A really is an exceptional company to work for and they are always flexible and courteous about everything. Chick-Fil-A is truly a 5 star fast food restaurant

154. Difdi says:

McDonalds is copying Chic-Fil-A? So? Chic-Fil-A copied the Earl of Sandwich.

155. ludwigk says:

@TC2COOL: I had chicken and waffles just the other night at Merrit’s bakery in Oakland. They serve the chicken on its own plate.

156. ShariC says:

This is a non-story, isn’t it? Newsflash, some food producers want you to eat nutritionally suspect food so they can make money by catering to your preference for foodstuffs that aren’t good for you, but taste good.

McDonald’s isn’t doing anything wrong so I’m not sure why this is on the Consumerist.

A similar story would be, “Blizzard wants you to sit on your ass all day and stare at your computer screen.” The horror!

157. S-the-K says:

I got the free “southern style” chicken biscuit this morning. I was so annoyed that I had to comment on my blog.

As for the free sandwich deal, it was implented poorly by McDonalds. You can’t get the discount from the clerk at the register. It requires the manager to enter a secret code to get the discount. This dramatically slows service and will only tick off customers, not to mention the harried manager running from register to register, in addition to their regular duties.

As for the sandwich itself, it is about as “southern style” as a rueben sandwich. As a carpetbagger, and having dined at Cracker Barrel, a proper “southern style” chicken entree would include a sawmill gravy. There is no sawmill gravy on their “southern style” chicken sandwich. Just a dry crumbly biscuit.

My favorite McDonalds breakfast item is still the Sausage McMuffin w/ Egg. Darn tasty although it’s darn deadly. I try to keep my consumption down to one or two a year.

158. I’m still wondering why people still eat at fast food restaurants anymore? Convenience doesn’t seem like much of an argument against your health and your family’s health.

159. raskolnik says:

…So why is this here, exactly? Hardee’s chicken biscuits are my favorite fast food breakfast by far. Granted I’m from the south, not Chicago, but still….

160. Michifernication says:

I just wonder if its the same mystery chicken they use in the nuggets?????

161. llxn13 says:

As I work at a chick-fil-a (one in the north) I have to say that the quality of the chicken mcdonald’s uses is not anywhere near the quality of chicken that we use, we get real pieces of chicken that we have to milkwash, and hand bread. We use peanut oil while although isn’t great for people with peanut allergies, is a lot better for you and so there is zero trans-fat and chlosterol in our fried foods, look at the pakages. And you can get our chicken biscut and sandwiches however you want them. With gravy, add egg or cheese, and we cook eggs to order by the way, and we also mix our own biscuits, they don’t just taste like handmade as McD’s advertise…..
    On kind of a side note, even eating fries and nuggets at CFA, I no longer eat at McD’s and have lost weight since working there……
    One last note, improved menu starts Monday May 19th

162. elisa says:

I tried this today. It was ok (NOT dry as some commenters noted), but I won’t be buying it again. I read the back of the tray liner while eating it, and saw that this, as well as some other chicken options like the McChicken sandwich, as well as some wraps, actually had MORE fat & calories then a cheeseburger. It’s good they have this info on the tray liners. Interesting food for thought…

I’ll have to see if there’s a chick-fil-a in my area, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

Back to In-N-Out for my weekly fast food fix…

163. elisa says:

As a sidenote…Why is it that people who intend to eat in at a fast food restaurant get medium or large sodas? Why not just get a small and get refills? I usually get water, but if I get a soda, I get the smallest size possible. Why pay more for something you can refill anyways? Do people really not want to walk over to the refills?

(this is an honest question, I really don’t know why people waste their money this way. Of course it’s diff if you’re taking to go…)

164. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@xay: OK, I stand corrected. Thanks!

165. BlazerUnit says:

@Ash78: I actually agree with you and I’m an agnostic. Chick-fil-A’s stance is part of its corporate tradition, and there’s something to be said about forgoing that easy extra money. Also, when it comes to establishments that have to follow local blue laws (mandatory closure on Sundays), a good argument has been made that these rules serve as a back door perk for hourly workers who get few benefits as it is. (The debate really comes from what kind of establishments should follow blue laws, like resturants, grocery stores, drug stores, etc.)

Though it would be mad nice to get a CFA sandwich, some waffle fries, and a fresh fountain Coke on a Sunday afternoon.

166. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@elisa: Well, one reason someone told me was so that when they do get up to leave, they can refill their cup then and be able to drink for the longest possible time. Here in Texas we live like travelers to Mercury five months a year.

167. I tried their new chicken biscuit last week. Chic-fil-a has nothing to worry about.