If You Love Junk Mail, Visit The Direct Marketing Association's Advocacy Website "MailMovesAmerica.org"

Did you know that “advertising mail is under threat?” It’s true! But what can you, the consumer who loves junk mail, do to stop the 15 states that, in 2007, “proposed the creation of state Do Not Mail registries, similar to the national do not call registry”? The Direct Marketing Association has set up a website just for you!

From MailMovesAmerica.org:

To many consumers and policymakers, Do Not Mail bills may sound like an idea whose time has come. However, learning even a little about advertising mail and direct marketing quickly reveals the many problems that Do Not Mail registries would create.

Advertising mail is a large and diverse economic engine creating $686 billion of economic activity annually that would be adversely affected by even just one bill becoming law. Thousands of jobs are dependent on advertising mail and direct marketing – from copywriters in ad agencies to rural letter carriers in remote corners of a sparsely populated state.

Get on over there and tell them how much you totally freaking love junk mail!

MailMovesAmerica.org

Comments

1. dmolavi says:

i love my junk mail as much as i love getting telemarketing calls at dinner.

dear god, these people must have no soul. i’ll be their names are at the top of the DNC and DNM lists :)

2. I couldn’t find a link on there for signing people up for their spam about why spam is good. Meg, you got off easy.

3. RobinB says:

Without junk mail I would have nothing for the paper recyclers.

4. Chairman-Meow says:

Oh noes!

What will I do if I cannot get crappy auto ads and the at least 6 credit card offers I get every week ? The horror of it all! How…un-american of me not to wish to limit their spew pouring into my mailbox daily.

Next thing you know they might actually start fighting spam….*gasp*

5. EllenRose says:

There is one good thing about junk mail: a lot of it is colorful. So you run it through your ribbon-type shredder, and you have free, colorful, packaging stuff.

6. ilovemom says:

Won’t someone please think of the mailmen?

7. FreeMarketGravy says:

@RobinB: See, they’re right. Junk mail DOES create and sustain jobs!

8. jamesdenver says:

Ha ha ha — this is hilarious. I had no idea junk mail had its own organization.

This is as good as Ken Clark of the Yellow Pages industry fighting desperately to keep alive something most of us don’t use and find annoying: phone books.

[www.futuregringo.com]

[yptalk.com]

9. ChrisC1234 says:

The only thing here that pisses me off is the fact that Louisiana isn’t one of the states trying to outlaw junk mail.

10. DrGirlfriend says:

Let us also not forget the people who receive no legitimate mail, and who rely on junk mail in order to have something, anything, from the outside world in their mailbox. We all love to get mail, right? Have a heart.

11. Megatenist says:

I’m SO glad Meg has shed some light on this.Junk mail has been demonized by the public for far too long,I say!When will you people realise that we are HELPING the economy,and that when throw away those ads,you are doing what communists do! You don’t see those Russians complain about so-called “junk mail”

Please,next time you receive an ad either online or in the mail, remember: we’re doing for America!

We’re doing it for FREEDOM!

*Paid for by the

Society for
    Underappreciated
    Corporate
    Kiosks

12. DrGirlfriend says:

@jamesdenver: Phone books are my nemesis (or maybe nemeses?). Not only do I get the brand-name Yellow and White pages on my front porch, but there are lots of independent companies putting out their own versions of white and yellow pages. I live on the main floor of a four-plex, and the mail area has apparently become my domain because it’s by my front door. It seems like twice a month I’m having to gather up a crapload of phone books and tossing them in the recycling bin (in this case, a crapload is 8 – two books for each unit. Now you have an actual numerical assignation for “crapload”).

13. missdona says:

The former residents of my condo must have been members of this. They get the worst catalogs ever, Carol Wright, JC Penney, Harriet Carter, Phantom Fireworks….

I added their names to catalog choice in order to free myself.

14. Buran says:

Why do they hate the environment, and therefore, America?

15. jamesdenver says:

@DrGirlfriend:

check this site out too (not to turn this into a phone book thread)

[www.YellowPagesGoesGreen.org]

but this guy has a lot of great info on how to reduce and opt out.

yeah phone books – like junk mail – are dinosaurs and a complete waste.

Why does anyone even advertise in them? When most get tossed in the dumpster anyway…

16. S-the-K says:

Do Not Mail lists = fewer trees cut down + less toxic byproducts from ink production + reduced Worker’s Comp claims for USPS lugging junk mail around + less space taken up in landfills for that junk mail that goes straight into the garbage.

Do Not Mail lists = Good Thing ™

17. Jim says:

@Buran: and therefore, puppies, moms, and baseball? Bastards.

I’m not surprised there’s an association, but I’m surprised there are members and staff. I wonder if they have a convention. Perhaps it is held in Lagos.

18. Jim says:

@DrGirlfriend: We used to be in charge of the phone book drop area. We had a (now legitimately quantified, thanks) crapload dropped off every six months or so. And our area recycling bins have “NO PHONE BOOKS” posted all over them. Most of them are our kid’s coloring books, writing tablets, and wadding-up/tearing toys. I’m thinking about insulating with them for this winter.

19. courtarro says:

Vote NO on the “Do-not-poke-people-in-the-eye-with-sticks” bill in your state! The PPITEWS industry has employed thousands of people for centuries; people who would otherwise be unable to find work and therefore have to settle for providing valuable eye-poking services to everyone. If just one of these anti-stick bills passes, the industry will be forced to lay off these expert eye-stick-pokers, leading to higher unemployment and recession. People want our eye-poking services! A guy asked me the other day whether it felt rewarding, and I said yes!

Help keep America running and support the people who poke other people in the eyes with sticks. It’s for the good of all!

20. junkmail says:

oh… thought this was about me… nevermind.

21. Omir The Storyteller says:

So, where can I find a list of which states have already proposed Do Not Mail Lists? I don’t want to waste my time agitating for one if Washington is already on that list.

22. Buran says:

@Jim: Yeah, I was being sarcastic, but there’s associations for almost everything these days.

23. ChuckECheese says:

The Direct Marketing Association has been around awhile at least. In 1990, I had a friend from NYC come to stay at my house in AZ, and he dragged along some guy named Sid who worked for the Direct Marketing Association. Sid got angry at me when I told him I was on a no-junk mail list. I have a pic of Sid wearing a cowboy hat, kerchief and western shirt in an album somewhere.

24. mike says:

Here’s what I find funny about ads:
    * In order to sustain the basic economy, we need ads.
    * we, as a general public, have gotten so innidated by ads that they are pretty much ignored

Many of us use AdBlock+ on Firefox; many MORE of us sift through our mail and throw out any ads that we could care less about.

Maybe, once in a few weeks, I’ll receive an ad that I care about.

The sad part is that ads run the economy. From newspapers to websites. I think it will be the sign of the end-times when you see little kids giving away lemonaide with ads on the cups.

25. Empire says:

Wait: if you’re only delivering your direct mail advertising to people who have chosen to receive it by not joining the Do Not Mail list, won’t that make your advertising more effective at less cost?

26. ChuckECheese says:

@Empire: You’re probably right. But that’s not how the marketers and allied tradespeople get paid. They get paid by the sheer number they can distribute, not by the likelihood that somebody heeds the ads.

27. FDrebin says:

I honestly don’t understand people who passionately hate junk mail.

28. Juggernaut says:

I don’t know how true this is but my sister, who works for the USPS, tells me that junk mail increases the regular mail route-hours by over a third in her zip code. With 15 mail carriers your savings there alone is 200k!!

29. AlexForestEthics says:

My favorite greenwashing statement on mailmovesamerica.org:

“Direct Mail is not trees, it is printed communication.”

HAHA. Strong Logic — This desk is not wood, it is something on which I put my computer.

Get involved to stop Junk Mail. [www.donotmail.org]

30. rmz says:

@Buran: Yeah there are some really unusual ones that I never would have guessed existed. There are even assocations designed for people who belong to other associations.

Be afraid… :P

31. DrGirlfriend says:

@jamesdenver: Thanks for that link. I signed up. Now I’m wondering if I should sign my neighbors up as well. Heh.

Once, in leafing through a phone book while visiting another city, I found that they had a section with pizza coupons, which I used to order a Domino’s pizza. That was one instance of a phone book being useful. I know that admitting to having ordering from Domino’s will make me a pariah around here, but I just wanted to give credit where credit was due.

32. TechnoDestructo says:

Oh no, without junk mail, what will I use to start the fireplace or barbecue?

33. trujunglist says:

I really dislike junk mail. For all you junk mail hater haters, its the equivalent of getting an apple and only being able to enjoy a tiny, unrotten bit that’s buried WAY the fuck in the middle of it, and if you don’t look you could miss it.
    On another note, I had to deliver phone books once to make a measly 4-5 dollars an hour. It wasn’t fun, and NO ONE wanted them. I was supposed to leave them at the door, and only one or two people actually came out and asked for one. They’d ask if they could have 2 almost apologetically, like it was some sort of precious commodity, and I’d say take as many as you want, and they’d give me a weird look. The more I got rid of, the more measly income I made, like 15 cents per book! I got the route in my neighborhood, so I just walked around delivering everything. Then I found out they made an error when assigning routes, because a few weeks later there were stacks and stacks of phone books lying around the common areas (which they actually weren’t supposed to do so they probably didn’t get paid in the end).

34. BigElectricCat says:

I am totally in favor of spam filters on IRL mailboxes.

Come to think of it, I’d like to have one on my phone, and on my doorbell, too.

35. Triterion says:

If anybody wants to email them, here’s their contact page: [www.the-dma.org] (its owned by this company)

36. LogicalOne says:

If your advertising is s-o-o-o-o valuable to the country, then damnit, pay the same postage that the rest of us have to pay! Why should you have the advantage of bulk rates when I have to pay 1st class postage each time?

37. @dmolavi: Dude, my uncle totally chairs their lobby. Not kidding.

I’m *pretty* sure he has a soul. I was at the wedding, the church didn’t implode.

@LogicalOne: Junk mail actually subsidizes first-class mail. There’s massive economies of scale in the sorting and whatnot. First class would be a helluva lot more expensive with junk mail gone. (And that’s from my friend who’s a postmaster, not from my uncle-the-lobbyist.)

38. Gorky says:

People need to lighten up, we shouldnt even be wasting money making bills to get rid of junk mail. Just throw the shit out when you get it, it really isnt to hard to do and takes 3 seconds out of your day.

39. mgy says:

@DrGirlfriend: aka me

40. elisa says:

I actually keep a copy of the phonebook…actually, 2 copies, 1 English and one Chinese (yes we have Chinese phonebooks in SoCal). They come in handy when you have to look up service providers – contractors, doctors, restaurants, and such. And the handy dandy map section in front is great when torn out and left in the car for those impromptu trips. (This is the “smaller” Clarke phone book, not AT&T which is useless).

That said, ONE copy is enough. Don’t know why there needs to be tons of telephone book companies, all trying to get you to take more than one.

As for junk mail…I just trash the ones that everyone gets. Not a big deal. And I enjoy having cheap(er) first class mail.

However, if you are on a catalog list and can’t get OFF of it, that DOES need regulation. Targeted lists should be like Do Not Call, senders get fined heavily for not taking you off the list. Mass market Pennysavers and CVS circulars, fine. Targeted Dell and whatever, NO.

41. spinachdip says:

@elisa: Speaking of phone books, the worst is if you live in an unstaffed apartment building or work in a low-rise office building. The phone companies just leave a stack of them each year, and hardly anyone takes a copy since they’re more annoying than useful these days.

And to think, about a couple of hundred sub-species of animals in the Amazon lost their habitats so the stupid things can sit in the lobby for a year, until the next year’s edition arrives.

42. marsneedsrabbits says:

@ChuckECheese:

Exactly.

Plus, they count on the occasional person who simultaneously:

1). sees the catalog selling large logs of festive cheese spreads

(and)

2). suffers a brain stroke that makes them want to purchase and consume mass quantities of above mentioned super-salty/semi-cheesy comestibles.

So how can you order said treats if you never get the catalog in the first place?

43. dkush21 says:

Just think how much money they would save by not sending out junk mail. Then they can pass the savings on to us. Especially the banks and credit card companies! HA HA!!!

44. geoffhazel says:

Every day I go to the mailbox pull out 2 lbs of stuff and throw away 1.9 lbs of it. Keep the 3 bills and important stuff.
    The catalog people are so bad. Seems like once you get on their list you get a new one practically every day.

45. ChuckECheese says:

@marsneedsrabbits: If it weren’t for the Wednesday junkmail, I’d never know about Furr’s Cafeteria, summer sausage, or self-inking stamps with my address on them.

46. Jonax says:

So the junk mail companies – The ones who send us useless crap which only a handful of people read, and whose paper output means they’re cutting down god knows how many trees in the first place. They’re angry that some states are implementing DNM lists, because it means that they can’t mass-mail crap. So now they’re trying to get the people they flood this crap on to pressure these states not to enact them, again so that they can’t do this flymailing?

DDOS attacks are disgraceful, but could it be proposed that it could be less…immoral this time?

47. bobblack555 says:

As a graphic designer I routinely try to persuade my clients away from using junk mail flyers.

They’re annoying and wasteful.

48. Zephyr7 says:

I see they’ve wisely left out any way to contact them…

49. shimane says:

If you are interested in stopping junk political phone calls, aka robo calls check out StopPoliticCalls.org.

I’ve testified at the US Senate about this phone spam and invite you to check us out.

Shaun Dakin
    CEO
    The National Political Do Not Contact Registry
    [www.stoppoliticalcalls.org]

50. These sorts of ridiculous, laughable PR campaigns are always a great sign that an industry we hate is starting to feel the icy fingers of Death around its throat. You have to wonder if there are people who actually believe any of this nonsense, or if they just willfully suspend disbelief so they can justify their awful, annoying, wasteful businesses.