A California court has upheld the scrawny Netflix “throttling” settlement from 2006. That was when Netflix settled a class-action lawsuit that alleged they intentionally slowed down the rental rates of high-renting customers. The settlement only really benefited lawyers and Netflix, but it stands. [Reuters]

Comments

1. RumorsDaily says:

It didn’t really benefit Netflix.

2. forgottenpassword says:

the whole throttling issue was what kept me from trying netflix a little while after it first came out. I have always heard that if you were one of those people who attempted to get the maximum rentals within the time period…. that they purposely held back your dvds (throttling).

I am the type of person who wants to get the most bang for my buck (netflix apparrently hates those types of customers).

Since then I have just illegally downloaded films. *shrug* MUCH cheaper & a lot less hassle.

3. Maurs says:

Is this the one where the affected class members were supposed to get a free month of service as their settlement? I vaguely remember Netflix emailing me about it a looooong time ago, and then nothing since.

4. hejustlaughs says:

I average 4 rentals a week on a 3 at a time plan which comes out to $1-$1.25 a rental for me so I’m fine and dandy.

5. mike says:

Companies have got to stop using the word “unlimited”. I think that’s part of the problem.

Phrases like “Monthly access for $x.xx” and then in the terms and conditions, say the limit.

Don’t be like comcast and say unlimited when you really mean 300GB / month.

@forgottenpassword: Just because it’s a hassle doesn’t mean you should download illegally.

6. kc2idf says:

Actually, it was in the customer agreement when I signed on, that they may throttle. I read it, I still agreed to it, and I felt that if they went too aggressive on the throttling that I would drop them then.

I have never been throttled, hence it is a moot point. The movies I get do tend to go back the next day. I’m very happy with Netflix, and no, I don’t work for them.

7. Rando says:

I don’t really appreciate the ad under this story. “Gay Bar Hopping in Philly”

I’m at work, you know.

8. ohiomensch says:

I signed up for Netflix a long time ago and they throttled me right off the bat.

I would get 3 movies, thinking to watch them over the weekend, send them back on Monday, have 3 more for the following weekend.

Even tho I was sending them all back on monday, one would get there on Thursday, one would get there on Saturday, and one would get there on the following monday.

I thought maybe the mail was wacky so I started putting all three movies into the same envelope. Same thing. They would show up recieved two days apart. By the end of the 3rd month, I was averaging 7 movies a month. It really bothered me what they were doing as they advertised unlimited, when they really were limited. The only way to deal with companies like this is not to do business with them.

9. Karyuu says:

I send my three movies back on Day 1, Netflix receives them on Day 2, and the next three are -always- in my mailbox on Day 3. It’s the most awesome thing :) I’ve never experienced any throttling, and I’ve exchanged DVDs very frequently. So I’m definitely satisfied on this side of the monitor.

10. bradanomics says:

@Rando:

Then do some work.

11. RumorsDaily says:

@Rando: And quit being homophobic.

12. Balisong says:

Ya know, if this story was about Blockbuster, the picture on the main page would be 8 times larger and the headline would be far more sensationalized.

13. Krobar says:

@Rando: It’s Reuters, if your work has an issue with a legit news article, you probably shouldn’t be on the Consumerist either.

Btw, did they like the article headline:
    Lynchings in Congo as penis theft panic hits capital?

14. Joanne Raymond says:

I was throttled for about 6 mos. Customer service said I should be glad what I am getting. “Look at the other companies, you would be paying a lot more”. Have they gotten any better since 2006?