Blockbuster has offered to buy Circuit City for a little over $1 billion, with the goal of creating “a chain that could sell portable devices and entertainment for them, much like Apple Inc.’s stores.” [Chicago Tribune] (Thanks to everyone who sent this in!)

Comments

1. sharki3232 says:

Wow! This is like some nightmare version of the fake story about Walmart and Best Buy merging.

2. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

Or… an express ticket on the highway to mutual destruction. These two companies are both not long for this world. If this acquisition happened, it would probably just accelerate the inevitable.

3. mobbo says:

The very definition of a clusterf***.

4. thefezman says:

So what’s so hard about making a little shelf room in the already everywhere Blockbuster locations?

It’s not like “portable devices” take up much shelf space. Unless you count the Kaypro.

5. fuzzycuffs says:

I have about $320 in Circuit City gift cards. Does this mean I should get to spending them ASAP? I don’t want this to turn out like Sharper Image, etc.

6. Chris Walters says:

@fuzzycuffs: You probably have a while. Blockbuster has been wooing Circuit City since February, and only made it public today to try to get CC’s shareholders to force the sale.

7. mantari says:

Problem #1: Blockbuster stores are too small.
    Problem #2: Circuit City stores are too few.

If they could pull of the integration, it actually has a chance. That leads us to #3…

Problem #3: They’re not Apple. They don’t actually MAKE anything. Good luck getting all the partners in line to create a unified experience.

8. sean98125 says:

This would be convenient for me. There would only be one store I wouldn’t bother going to instead of two. Think of all the time I’d save.

9. BloggyMcBlogBlog says:

Almost as sad when Sears and K-Mart merged.

10. Sideonecincy says:

@BloggyMcBlogBlog: That is what I was about to say.

11. fuzzymuffins says:

it’s the blind buying out the blind.

may they both merge and negate their own existances….

12. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@fuzzymuffins: Mutual annihilation? I guess that assumes either Circuit City or Blockbuster actually have decent customer service.

13. parad0x360 says:

@sean98125: Agreed. I would stop going to CC if they were bought by Blockbuster because I HATE Blockbuster.

How is it even possible that Blockbuster has the money for such a deal? Having they been burning money for like…the past 7 years?

14. Mr. Gunn says:

fuzzycuffs: Sell them on Ebay for 90% of face value and be glad you dodged the bullet.

I too am amazed they’ve actually got the cash for such a deal, and even more amazed they’d pay that much for CC.

Can you say, “short sell?”

15. Kounji says:

Wow, honestly I think this is doomed to fail. What does blockbuster really help to gain out of the merger. Sure they’ll have more locations over all, but everything they would have to create to make this work doesn’t really exist. It’ll be interesting to see how they try and make the merger profitable. Hopefully they don’t become another Sears/Kmart

16. dohtem says:

Wtf are they smoking? Who in their right mind would compare these brands with Apple. This is wishful thinking from some late night brainstorming. It will fail.

17. lefty_redhead says:

Their new name could be Block City, and they can rename their Firedog service Circuit Buster. If the don’t sell you broken down disasters right out of the gate, they can always break it for you. Craptacular goodness ahead.

18. airhorse says:

I have no experience with Blockbuster but Circuit City is about as dodgy as any business I have ever dealt with. Impossible rebate conditions and gift card rip-offs are standard procedure for these rascals.