AT&T Sends Bills To Collections Ten Days After They’re Mailed Out

<!–backwardsatt.jpg–>Reader Tom wrote in to let us know that during a conversation with AT&T customer service, a representative told him that it is typical to send out collection notices ten days after the original bill is mailed. Factoring in two or three days for the bill to arrive, two or three days for the check to get back to AT&T, and a Sunday or two, that leaves three to five days for customers to pay their bills before the angry letters and phone calls begin.

Tom’s email:

Hi Consumerist -

I recently disconnected my AT&T home phone and DSL service. I received a final bill in the mail shortly thereafter for $118. Checking the due date, I noticed that it says “due upon receipt,” and I thought, “Wow, I’d better run IMMEDIATELY to the nearest AT&T store and pay this bill because I received it 2 hours ago and IT’S ALREADY PAST DUE!”

Just kidding. What I actually thought is, “Due upon receipt, my big fat white ass.” And I scheduled it for payment 27 days later. Since AT&T was not capable of indicating a reasonable due date, I came up with my own, and for no particular reason, 27 days seemed about right. Seemed like the outer limit of right, but still right, still OK, still within reason.

Exactly three weeks after getting that bill, I received an extremely aggressive “collection” notice warning me that I was a delinquent and a menace to society. I honestly assumed I must have missed an earlier payment, because I couldn’t fathom receiving such an aggressive collection notice only 21 days after receiving a bill from a company I’ve never paid a day late in my entire life (I have perfect credit).

I called AT&T and was, indeed, transferred to their collections department. FANTASTIC. A collections specialist named Barry picked up and wanted to know if I’ve called to make a payment over the phone to settle this unpleasant matter. And I tell him, no, I did not. I tell him I’m calling to complain about getting a rude collection notice a mere 21 days after getting a bill.

And he says, “Sir, many times we send collection notices 10 days after the bill has been sent.”

And I say, “Wow, really? Doesn’t that seem kind of rude and stupid?”

And he says, “Sir, I apologize but apparently you are not on our schedule, and that’s when we send collection notices.”

And I say, “No, Barry, YOU are not on MY schedule, and when you fail to give reasonable and specific due-by dates, I make up my own.”

The Consumerist website has rightly counseled its readers never to be rude or disrespectful in situations like these, and I completely agree. I have always followed this advice and it’s worked well, and everyone should always follow it. You can’t always blame the underlings for the moronic and offensive decisions of its brainiac executives. There is never any excuse for abusive language, and nobody should every use it under any circumstances, ever.

But in this case I thought, screw it, enough with the executives hiding behind of the underlings who invariably tell me it’s not their fault. And I let loose with an offensive and totally inappropriate insult that surprised me even as I began to speak it.

[offensive and totally inappropriate insult]

My question is, what is the official Consumerist position on bills that are “payable upon receipt” for no reason other than vendor churlishness? Do your readers actually feel obligated to snap their heels, salute, and rush out a payment immediately? What’s a reasonable period of time?

We wrote back to Tom and said that we think a good due date would be a month since the last payment was made, assuming that one was sent on time. Ten days, especially when the above circumstances mean it’s actually half that, is not very reasonable, and if AT&T is calling these late payments or letting them affect customers’ credit scores, it is very unreasonable. But Tom asked our readers’ opinion, too, so what do you think?
(Photo: epicharmus)

Comments

1. MightyWeasel says:

I’d say 30 days is perfectly reasonable, assuming that was the standard payment scheme for all previous bills. The only time I’ve ever seen “Due upon receipt” used is when a bill is past due.

2. ShortBus says:

Bad title. “Being send an overdue notice” does not equal “Being sent to collections.” Neverminding that, the guy closed his account; of course his final bill is due immediately. I’m really trying, and I can’t think of anytime that *hasn’t* been the case when I canceled a service.

3. healthdog says:

Wow. That would piss me off enough to think about sending them a penny a day, taped to a post card, until the amount was paid.

4. Copper says:

To me, a month seems near the end of the reasonable time frame. I’d say no more than a month after receiving it. Usually, my bills are due three weeks after receiving them so I’d say that’s fine.

Getting a collections notice 10 days after getting the bill seems unreasonable. I’ve had letters take longer than 10 days to reach their destination.

5. endersshadow says:

I’ve had AT&T for the past 7 months and have waited up to two weeks before paying (never past the due date, though), and I have not received any calls or notices. But, when I cancel and move away from this apartment and AT&T, this is good to know.

6. Narcosynthesis1 says:

I never pay on time and I’ve never received a notice from collections.

7. Alex Chasick says:

@ShortBus: I don’t know what you’re quoting, because nowhere in the post does it mention that he was sent an overdue notice. The OP was transferred to the collections department when he called, and the CSR called it a collections notice, so it sounds like collections to me.

8. Techno Viking says:

Tom, you assumed correctly that you have about a month to send out that payment which you did. These days, companies are nothing but mean fat, ugly pushover guys. I say you did a good job even talking to that collector and mailing in that payment. Hopefully, it will teach that Barry collector how to talk to people when they want to find out something and not always hi, are you here to make a payment thing. Screw the company, and as a citizen, customer, or just a person who needs to make a payment you have about 30 days to do so from the moment you get it out of the mailbox unless it says pay before this date. We all make monthly payments and you are not in the wrong here so if you feel the need to yell at them for trying to ruin your credit, please feel free to express yourself so that your credit back to normal.

9. Cliff_Donner says:

As is already made clear in the initial posting, technically, “DUE UPON RECEIPT” means that .05 seconds (actually, less) seconds after grasping the envelope, you are a DEADBEAT.

What’s reasonable? As an old-school, utterly head-in-the-sand throwback, I pay my bills once a month — after all, I’m BILLED once a month — by sitting down at my desk, on one specific day per month, and writing out physical checks for the bills that have been received in the last 30 days.

I think sending out a delinquent notice before 30 days have elapsed is very poor form. I think Tom is perfectly justified in being PO’d at AT&T.

Fortunately, he’s already fired them. Anybody looking to hiring AT&T, take a tip.

And yeah, I don’t see that Tom has suffered any late fee or financial loss here. Or even a credit ding. He’s not complaining about that. He’s just saying that AT&T unnecessarily, and unreasonably, treated him like a deadbeat.

Agreed.

10. PatrickIs2Smart says:

Could it be that because he longer has any service, they require his payment ASAP? They won’t have a next billing cycle to tack any late fees on, or another bill at the same time the next month.

11. mrjimbo19 says:

This has to be the worst case of billing I have ever heard… and I have At&t home phone service… lord now I am afraid to cancel.

12. XianZhuXuande says:

Tom was obviously misinformed by a poor representative. 10 days after mailing the bill doesn’t even move past the due date, and most divisions of AT&T will let you slide for at least two months without a payment, racking up late fees, before they consider external collections.

This is a non-story and shouldn’t have been posted.

13. razremytuxbuddy says:

I had a similar experience when I happily canceled my AT&T business phone service. I had an even worse experience with AT&T a few months before, when they sent me a bill for installing a second phone line in my office. When I returned to the office the Monday after Thanksgiving, there was the bill waiting in my mailbox. The bill was either backdated by a few days or took an extra few days in the mail; it was due immediately, and if not paid THAT DAY, my business phone would be disconnected. If I had taken an extra vacation day for Thanksgiving, I would have returned to a disconnected business phone. No surprise that I searched and soon signed up with a better phone company.

14. Dobernala says:

@XianZhuXuande: So you’re saying the OP is a liar? His claim contradicts yours.

15. benh57 says:

no, XianZhuXuande just didn’t read the original post. He seems to think this was a normal bill, it was in fact a final bill. (which normally doesn’t have a due date)

Final bills never have due dates, they are always due on receiept. Thats how they work, it makes sense – there is no future billing cycle as other posters mentioned. I don’t want to blame the submitter here but making up a random schedule is kinda asking for it.

16. mythago says:

Final bills are payable on receipt, but collections ten days after *mailing*? That’s just an excuse to charge late fees.

Though the OP is not winning himself any “clever consumer takes on the baddies” points by swearing at a CSR who a) is at least being courteous and b) does not have the power to unilaterally reverse AT&T policy. The proper response to that is “Let me speak to your supervisor”, not “let me engage in a little emotional masturbation by cursing at you because you’ll lose your job if you respond in kind.”

17. Cliff_Donner says:

Well, EXCUSE ME for a little emotional masturbation!

Man, can’t a consumer have any fun at all???

18. QuantumRiff says:

I think its perfectly reasonable to call them, and inquire about accidentally making an overpayment, and how long it would take them to issue you a check for the difference. Then, use that for the time frame for paying. Its not right if they take 2 months, but expect you to pay them in 2 days.

19. P41 says:

@QuantumRiff: Heh Best comment in this thread so far. Yeah, if credits need 2-3 weeks plus for processing, they shouldn’t expect next day turnaround.

20. FLConsumer says:

All of my AT&T Wireless bills (we’re talking pre-Cingular days) read “DUE UPON RECEIPT.” Now that I’m going through the files, even the Cingular bills read “UPON RECEIPT” under the Date Due. I always thought it was asinine too. I’m on the road much of the time so my bills only get paid 2x a month. Even then, I’ll schedule the checks to go out ~5 days before they’re due.

The worst billing I saw was by a shady submetering company at my old apartment. They gave you 15 days from the “statement date” to the “due date”. Realistically, this meant you had 7-10 days to get a check back to them as you wouldn’t receive the bill for at least 2-5 days after the statement date. When I confronted them about this, they suggested I pay online, which they charged $6 for. No thank you. The same scammy place had a minimum monthly charge, which I always got nailed with. I’m single, not in town often and their minimum appeared to be based on a 3-person household. Arseholes. Makes me glad to be a homeowner.

21. moorie678 says:

They might as well get rid of the middle man and just send peoples bills straight to collections……

22. bufftbone says:

Dell called me the day after a due date and tried to harass me to pay up right then and there. An honest mistake on my part for forgetting (the only time I’ve done it..with them). The guy was a real complete asshole. After telling him of I hung up and went back to sleep. The bill was paid promptly after getting said sleep.

23. maverickuw says:

I dunno, I was told by a woman at qwest that their billing system is screwed up. I cancelled at the end of Feb, and got billed for March 7-April 6. Plus my discount, got added instead of subtracted. I found out that the billing system understands that someone is no longer eligible for discount, but doesn’t seem to understand that people are no longer customers. And that it would be a whole month before the bill would be redone. And then 3 months before I’d get the credit that will be owed to me.

Granted, I’m giving the lady the benefit of the doubt. If I get another letter from them with a new month showing I still owe them money, or they raised it, I’m definitely raising holy hell and claiming mail fraud.

24. delissa says:

I had the same exact thing happen to me earlier this year. I switched to ATT and got the first month charges etc. but then shortly after (like 10 days) I switched to the family plan with my husband. You would think that they would forward the bill to my new plan, since it is still in my name but no. Well I thought this and not even 1 month later I get a call from a mysterious collection agency “West Asset Management” at 5 in the f**king morning. Of course at that hour, I am asleep and it went to voicemail. The person explains where they are calling from and says that I need to phone them back. That’s it. No explanation as to the reason why they were calling. I googled them and that’s how I came to know they were a collection agency but possibly a scam. I looked at all of my bills for that month and saw that none were past due even the one from ATT on the family plan was paid in full!

They made my life for the next week a living hell because every morning at 5, I would receive a call from them with a message to call them back but with no reason as to why they would like to me to call them back. Naturally, I didn’t call them back. Anyways to make a long story short at the end of 2 weeks, the final message stated “This is West Asset Management, please call us about a very urgent matter regarding your account as soon as possible.” With a message like that I had to call them back and soon found out I had a delinquent account with ATT.

So instead of taking care of the matter with this mysterious company, I called ATT to take care of it and they say I cannot pay the bill with them, they move all unpaid bills to their collection agency after 10 days. OK, so then I call West Asset Management again to take care of this f**cking matter and they say I have to pay an extra fee for their services!! WTF!!!

Anyways, my lesson learned here is to drop ATT as soon as my two years are up and their contract with iphone diminishes. They suck!

25. matt314159 says:

I noticed on my mom’s AT&T (well, it was cingular at the time) She always got her bill on or around the 15th of the month, with a due date being listed as the 20th of the month.

She called in to complain about this and the CSR’s only response was to tell her to sign up for online account payment and then she wouldn’t have to worry about being late.

Dearest mother now always writes a check and mails it in, just for spite. It seems this is a trend of theirs, to have unreasonably short due dates.

26. SadSam says:

My local utility bill due date is always “due upon receipt” but then goes on to save payment is late by x date. I always wonder why the utility dept. doesn’t just use the x date as the due date.

I agree with others, I think companies are moving to shorter and shorter due dates to force on-line bill pay. I have nothing against on-line bill pay and use it for many a bill but a customer should still have a reasonable amount of time to pay a bill.

27. sabrinad says:

My paper AT&T bills (phone + internet + mobile) were always without fail marked DUE UPON RECEIPT. I switched to paperless billing and now they give me actual dates by which to pay. So, the conclusion I draw from this is that clearly due dates are an advanced technology only available to the most modern of customers using the most efficient of service providers.

…Either, that or AT&T are a bunch of idiots. Your pick.

28. silver-spork says:

I get several bills marked “Due Upon Receipt.” Lawn care, pest control, trash hauling are the ones I can think of offhand. However, they all also have small print below that saying “Bill sent to collection after x days.”

So I pay in x-5 days.

29. Barbarisater says:

I agree with the using it to force online payment.

My problem is with the companies that then want to charge you $5 to use the online payment.

I am saving you money by not involving a live body to process a paper check but you want to charge me money for saving you money. WTF!

30. Amelie says:

I cancelled a landline with AT&T and it seems my bank billpay was late ( or AT&T didn’t process it in a timely fashion.) I received one letter and then checked with my bank who said they mailed it. Within days I was receiving calls 5x a day from some collection agency with employees who barely spoke English. (I assume the work was being outsourced.) Then a week late, it stopped. I guess AT&T finally got the bill credited.

31. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

@Alex Chasick: That’s happened to me with AT&T.

I’m horrible at paying bills on time. Before we moved I relied solely on the emails AT&T would send me when a bill comes due. When we moved to another city and transferred our AT&T service those reminders stopped coming. So I was late on my first bill.

I had to call for some technical reason and no matter what I would do, as soon as I entered my account info, I got transferred to their collections department. It seems to me that anyone with an overdue bill (10 days I guess?) is pushed to that department.

32. I usually schedule payment of bills for the next biweekly payday. I send them out in Wednesday’s mail so they arrive on Friday. This is to make doubly sure there is money in the account when the checks are cashed and there is enough left over for me in case I need to visit the ATM.

33. bohemian says:

Qwest used to do something like this with their billing every month. I have notice most companies do this with a final bill, demanding it be paid immediately. But most will actually not complain as long as you pay it within 30 days.

I pay bills every two weeks and I have all recurring bills set to be paid at one of those two pay days based on the standard bill due date. Companies playing billing tricks to try to get money faster, increase late fees or other games intended to get the money in their hands longer vs. services provided are just being jerks.

34. dualityshift says:

Corporate A/R and A/P are usually 30 days. it’s nice to see that only those who are in the ‘fuck the consumer’ club get these wonderful perks. The rest of us are expected to Pay Immediately.

35. AuntNi says:

Something similar happened to me in November 2006. I checked our v.m. while we were on vacation, and had a message from a very unfriendly gal at AT&T, asking me to call at my “earliest convenience.” From her tone, I thought something must be seriously wrong, so I called immediately. It was, I believe, their internal A/R department, and she got pretty aggressive in her collection efforts. I told her I’d sent all our bills through Quicken before vacation, and I’d check into it as soon as I got home. Turns out, there was a Quicken glitch, and *none* of my bills had been sent. Eeek! However, AT&T was the only one who made an aggressive phone call about the mess. They didn’t report us to the credit bureaus, either, thank goodness.

36. kadath217 says:

I had the same problem when I canceled my local phone service with ATT last year. I spoke with the “Collections” department and paid the $8 final balance – as other commenters have noted, they were very aggressive. I was told it had not yet been reported to the credit bureaus, and I never saw it on a credit report.

37. vladthepaler says:

Since sending bills to collections probably costs ATT money somehow, let them go ahead and send all their bills to collections. Less profit, lower company value, etc. Let the stupid business practices kill off the badly run businesses.

38. TickedOff says:

This “Due upon receipt” is simply everyone and their brother following the billing model made famous (in MBA schools) and profitable by Dell which goes:

0. Competitors use “Net 30″
    1. We get paid “Net 0″
    2. Pay everyone else “Net 60″
    3. Invest the 60 day float
    4. Profit!!!

At one time Dell was making more from this than they were from selling computers… until there was a Harvard Business School case study made and everyone dialed in this simple hack. Ever notice that Dell isn’t quite the high flyer it was in the late 80s/early 90s? This and other accounting techniques were used in lieu of actual product R&D to make their numbers back then. In fact, HP decided it was such a great idea that they have largely shed their product R&D at the turn of the century. As it was put to me by management: “We let Intel do our hardware R&D, let Microsoft do our software R&D and we’ll own the supply chain.”

Anything to get payment sooner will give a creditor a float-able balance. This is also the underlying idea with credit card companies using double running books/balances for billing and (retroactive) penalties.

39. getaclue says:

I got a bill from ATT in mid-December, which I scheduled for payment at the start of January — LESS than 30 days.
    I paid the bill.

A couple of days later, I phoned a friend and got a recording informing me that “at the customer’s request” my call could not be completed from my phone. I had my husband call the friend to see if they had placed a restriction on receiving calls from my number, and the friend denied it.

I contacted ATT , who informed me that THEY had placed a dialing restriction on my phone because the bill was “late”. I demanded a supervisor, and when the supervisor got on, I raised hell. Not only wasn’t my payment late, (it was in fact paid, as the supervisor was forced to acknowledge) but the recording I got when I tried to dial out from my phone was a LIE — the “customer” had in fact NOT requested any restriction. MOREOVER, since I had paid my bill BUT THE RESTRICTION HAD NOT BEEN REMOVED.

The supervisor explained that customers must telephone ATT and have any restrictions removed. As I had been completely unaware (till that attempted call) that a restriction had been placed on my phone, I obviously was in no position to request its removal.

I have vowed to cancel all phone service if the corporate tools in congress grant these bastards immunity.

I don’t really need another reason to go back to tin cans and string. These people are the W O R S T

40. mjuevo says:

I once pointed out to a billing representative that, since she insisted the bill was “due upon receipt” and I never received it, it couldn’t possibly be due yet. Actually, she was very nice, told me what the current balance was and had another paper bill sent out.

41. zentec says:

I don’t think it’s uncommon for a final bill to be due upon receipt, but certainly sending it to internal or external collection for anything less than 30 days is a bit harsh. I’m fairly certain AT&T pays its own bills (aside from payroll) on a generous 30 or 45 day cycle.

I’ve noticed that many companies have been pushing down the due dates to absurd levels. Verizon, both wireless and landline have been creeping downward in the number of days I have to pay them. It’s an attempt to pad the bottom line with late fees. I avoid that situation by having all bills from companies with a penchant for this nonsense paid with my Amex card. No late fees, and they get to pay for the transaction.

Of course, I count Amex isn’t much better about pushing the due dates around.

42. tme2nsb says:

Here are the unofficial rules:

10 days late? $5 late fee. The first time
    30 days late? No biggie. The first time
    60 days late? Disconnection, the first time.

30 days late? Disconnection, the second through fifth time late.
    15 days late? Disconnection, sixth through tenth
    10 days late? Disconnection, every other time.

Granted, this is all based in a 12 month billing cycle too.

Obviously this customer was misinformed, like a lot of “customers”. Sounded like a deadbeat to me.

43. civicmon says:

Had the same problem last week, in fact.

EECB’d the debt collector’s CEO, the ATT CEO and the TX (where the bill collector was located) AG, the BBB in their district and some random sales manager at the bill collector.

Spoke to an ATT rep yesterday since I was busy and couldn’t call sooner, who said they’d let me pay them the bill w/o a “collection charge” but I’m not too sure I want to.

My EECB outline two firm FDCPA violations and two others that I never checked to get the section violation numbers in my email.

So, if anyone should pay, it would be the collection firm, unless they want to pay me in civil court.

44. luxbread says:

I had a truck I leased from Chrysler. It was a turd beyond turds (2 trasfer case, 2 rear ends, 2 transmission rebuilds, and 1 completely new one… within 27 months)…

Anyway, i went a gob over the miles, and I knew it the day i signed the contract. I was prepared for it as my company pays for it.

I turned the truck in 29 days early (because it sucked), with my bill completely paid up (monthly payments.) There was to be an overage fee, and taxes after this, i realized.

They sent my bill. $3,200 and some change for the miles and taxes. That’s fine right? It was due upon receiving it. I didn’t mail it for 2 days because I was busy. They called me 3 times that day trying to collect the money, telling me “just pay by credit card today..”

People must be really hurting for money out there!

45. jimconsumer says:

I agree with the OP. AT&T are a bunch of baffoons for acting like this.

My city used to do this with water bills. They’d show up due “upon receipt”. I’d schedule them for payment within the same month they were received, but then I’d get a $5 late fee. I’ve never been late on any of my other bills. Turns out, these idiots generate bills on or around the 28th of the prior month. Then, based on postmarks, they get around to mailing them anywhere between the 5th and the 15th. I guess they can’t be bothered to mail them right after they print them.

The bills are technically due on the 20th (the answer I got after complaining), but they refuse to print that on them, so you don’t really know unless you call. I’ve received bills from them where I couldn’t even pay them on time if I’d turned around and mailed a check the very next day because they took their sweet ass time and didn’t mail them until a few days before they were due.

Every time I received a late fee, I wrote a nasty letter to them, as well as called and pitched a fit. Finally, I threatened to sue them for their ridiculous billing practices. It took a couple of years of regular harassment, but they finally started printing due dates on bills and mailing them on a somewhat timely basis. You still don’t receive your bill until the 10th of the month and it’s due only 10 days later, which is horse shit if you ask me, but I guess it’s legal. I finally setup a bill pay account and send them a fixed amount ever month at a specific time. I slowly accrue a positive balance and when it gets high enough I skip a payment. Sucks, but what else are you going to do?

46. calvinneal says:

Anothr great lie from another deadbeat. Att has never harassed me. Forgot a wireless bill once ( back in the SBC days). It went 45 days, no disconnection.

47. Nighthawke says:

I just checked my AT&T wireline bill and I got like 45 days to pay it in full or be assessed a surcharge on the next bill. I live in Texas and it makes me wonder if there is a difference in the billing process between states, or the differing services you have with a given company.

48. FightOnTrojans says:

AT&T is weird. I have wireless and landline through them. Back before Cingular bought AT&T wireless, I would go about 2 – 3 months before I would remember to pay the bill and I never heard anything about it. Then, when Cingular took over, the bill was printed and mailed on the 22nd with a due date of the 28th of the same month. Yup, six whole friggin’ days! I called up and they admitted that they were having some billing problems and agreed to remove the already assessed late fee.

The landline service has not been as finicky, but they have charged me incorrect amounts for the DSL part. Both bills come with a pretty clear “Due by” date, and I pay with AmEx bill pay, so it always pays on that date, no sooner nor later.

I haven’t dealt with turning the service off, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with their due now stance. I agree with the OP that since they didn’t give him a date, he could choose a date within reason (about a month sounds ok).

49. bgllo says:

AT&T Sends out annoying notices based on your credit report. If you have bad credit they send out a notice 10 days after they send teh bill. If you have moderate credit they wait 60 days. If you have great credit they wait 90 days.

Also the more often you’re late with your bills the more aggressive the collections system is designed to become. So when you make an arbitrary date like that you’re just setting yourself up for a fight.

Call them ask them when your bill comes out. If it’s generated on the 27th then think 30 days from the 27th it’ll be late.

Unfortunately paper invoices are considered a courtesy not a requirement. You know you have the service, you know it requires payment once a month. it’s on you to ensure that it’s paid not the company.

I used to work for them but the complete incompetence and inflexibility of management made it impossible to function there. People would cancel long term customers of 10 years because they had a check return from a closed account. Policy rules the world at AT&T if you “do the right thing” and use your judgement to help the customer rather then follow policy you’ll be given a Performance Improvement Plan to bring you back into line with the others regurgitating policy.

My advice, if a company won’t deal with you in person, don’t buy their products. The people who work on the other end of the phones are basically automated systems at this point. Anyone who ever read Dune I refer you to Mentat’s. That’s all these phone monkeys are is human computers designed to inform you of policies that you’d never agree to if it was placed into your contract.

50. RINO-Marty says:

Not true. My credit, depending on the report, is 750 – 810 (I just got a mortgage). I am the OP.

51. erniemiller says:

I think someone failed to read more than the first line of their bill. First off, you’re paying for services rendered. This means a bill due in September is for services you used in Aug. Of course the bill issued is going to say due upon receipt. This doesn’t necessarily mean your late. If you read more than just the first few lines of your bill you will notice that it also states the day the bill is considered past due, which is typically 30 days from the day the bill is dated and mailed out. After the 30 days, you start getting calls, followed by a late notice, and/or an email if you provided your email address when you set up your account. The late notice gives you 15 days to pay and in this duration you have the option of calling in and requesting an extension. Soooo to summarize…you used service Aug 1-31, bill is compiled and sent first few days of Sep that states due upon receipt and considered past due by Sep 30. After the Sep 30th you get a late notice saying you have until Oct 15th to pay to avoid interruption and you also have the option of calling in for a payment arrangement all this while. Paying a bill in Oct for services that I used in Aug…this sounds pretty sweet to me.