As gas prices rise, fuel thieves come out of the woodwork. [Houston Chronicle]

Comments

1. Sigh… I wasn’t born when the 1973 Oil Embargo occured and yet I’m seeing the same stuff repeated. Next thing you know, I’ll be seeing lines at the pumps and fast food employees dashing down to serve.

2. Jackasimov says:

Back when I was a kid in the 70′s my dad came home one day looking a bit green. He said he was out siphoning (spell that S-T-E-A-L-I-N-G) some gas and accidentally swallowed some. What a noob.

BTW, he’s from Houston like this article.

“If the retailer is making a 1 cent profit per gallon, Lenard said…”
    Seriously, 1 cent per gallon? Or is that and “if” with a capital “I”?

Anyway, time to buy that locking gas cap people are always talking about.

3. C2D says:

GAS /= DIESEL. There is a difference here. Next time, say fuel prices.

4. Pro-Pain says:

I bought a lock gas cap for my Mustang last time I was @ the parts store. $10 worth of security.

5. bohemian says:

We already had gas stolen out of our SUV when it was parked in the driveway overnight. We bought a locking gas cap, considering a fill up in that hog is $75 at least. Ten dollars for the gas cap was a bargain.

There was also a story out of Mpls. Some guy had rigged a pick up truck with a hose he could push out the window into another vehicles gas tank and a pump hooked to it with a switch on the dash. He didn’t even have to get out to steal gas. The police caught him.

So when do the Mad Max style gangs of gas thieves start showing up?

6. HooFoot says:

Take this seriously folks! Two years ago, before gas prices were as terrible as they were now, some thief siphoned my mother’s heating oil in the middle of the night. She lost several hundred dollars worth of fuel.

So not only invest in a locking gas cap, but secure any other fuel storage you may have.

7. Rusted says:

@Jackasimov: Sometimes people would punch a hole in bottom of the gas tank. In the 70s, most tanks were welded metal.

8. GearheadGeek says:

This is a dangerous sport in the state of Texas. Smith & Wesson & I take a dim view of someone screwing around with my car.

9. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Jackasimov: The gas station makes its money off of volume, their profit on fuel is typically 1-3 cents a gallon.
    Their profits on soda, food, beer, coffee, etc. is how they make their real money.

Nothing justifies theft. From you siphoning my gas tank, to BP siphoning my wallet (the company, not the station).