Snow in Cleveland is affecting air travel. The FAA says:

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Cleveland, OH (CLE). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 12 minutes.

Continental, which uses Cleveland as a hub, is canceling lots of flights. [Ohio.com]

Comments

1. bsalamon says:

12 minutes?

2. PeteyNice says:

Cleveland? Is that still around? What exactly makes this news? The only Continental hub where delays make news is Newark. And really wouldn’t delaying your arrival to Cleveland by 3 hours be a good thing?

3. monkey33 says:

All the publishers we’ve tried to call today in Ohio have been closed due to weather.

4. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

There actually is bad weather in Cleveland and most of Ohio right now as opposed to most of the time there’s a “weather delay” blamed on Cleveland center ATC (like in the dead of summer with no wind or clouds).

5. robotprom says:

it’s not The Comsumerist.com, it’s Weather.com.

6. Mills says:

@doctor_cos: It’s not just bad, it’s nasty weather, even for Cleveland. I’d know, I’m currently looking out the window, wondering how I’m going to get home from work tonight.

7. xerotope says:

Hey, I found out my flight tomorrow was canceled because of this post.

So thank you, Consumerist! My travel plans are a little flexible, so maybe I can turn this into a free ticket.

8. mmbb says:

cleveland.consumerist.com

9. Crymson_77 says:

just like DFW Tuesday and yesterday…was nasty here

10. msbeer says:

Columbus is under a blizzard warning.

11. scoosdad says:

@xerotope: How so? The airlines don’t have to offer compensation for weather-related delays.

12. Ecoaster says:

@scoosdad: Flight wasn’t delayed, it was CANCELLED. There’s a difference.

But actually, Continental will almost always allow ticketed passengers to change their travel date/times for FREE when a major storm is about to affect a particular area. That’s been in effect for CLE since yesterday.

It’s only when you’re at the airport facing flight delays, etc. due to weather where no airline will issue compensation.

13. silencedotcom says:

They don’t call it “the mistake by the lake” for nothing!

14. PicketFence says:

I live in a suburb about a mile from Cleveland Hopkins Airport. The snow is so heavy I can’t see across the street at times. I’m surprised they are only reporting a delay… we’ve been dealing with a snowstorm for almost 24 hours. I don’t know how any flights could arrive or take off in this weather.

15. ywgflyer says:

KCLE 082027Z 34020G34KT 1/2SM +SN BLSN BKN003 OVC009 M06/M08 A2965 RMK AO2 PK WND 34034/2018 P0000 $

Yay, look at that. Half mile visibility, heavy snow, high winds (40MPH+) and low, scuddy, crappy cloud. Wonderful.

Wouldn’t like to be flying in THERE today. If that vis goes down any more, they’ll start turning ALL arrivals away…

16. PicketFence says:

The airport ended up closing until Sunday morning…

17. scoosdad says:

@Ecoaster: Right, but they cancelled the flight, and will probably rebook his itinerary on a future flight…. so how does that entitle him to a free ticket?