Hey Kids, It's National Consumer Protection Week!

Uhh, apparently this week is National Consumer Protection Week, which is supposed to “highlight consumer protection and education efforts around the country.” Translation: the government put up a mini-website from, like, 1976, with a page of links and some banners for the taking. That’s fine with us—we’ll just claim the other 51 slots as National Consumerist Weeks.

“National Consumer Protection Week” [consumer.gov]

RELATED
“Presidential Proclamation: It’s Consumer Protection Week”

Comments

1. mackenzie says:

Bob’s Website Kit v1.0.

Apparently, this was the only budget they have left from whatever earmark created this.

2. soulman901 says:

Consumer Protection week my ass. Consumerist has been the only website that is dedicated to this task. The goverment can take this so called week and do you know what to you know where.

3. AMetamorphosis says:

Thank GOD for The Consumerist because our government does very little to protect the consumer.

I thought that Corporations were to be dismantled when it could be proven that the rights of INDIVIDUALS were superceeded by CORPORATE ENTITIES.

4. Bladefist says:

that’s a 50,000$ website if I ever saw one.

5. Sherryness says:

Ouch. Bad design hurts my eyes. Wow – poorly thought out concepts hurt my brain. This is pretty sad.

6. Bladefist says:

@AMetamorphosis: Thank god the government does very little. They’d just screw it up and make everything cost more. This site is a blessing because it allows the consumers, in a private fashion, to share knowledge, boycott, etc, and based on posts I’ve seen, this works. Capitalism baby.

7. Cap'n Jack says:

Obviously, somebody’s kid made this site with a boxed toolkit. Did you see sites from previous years (links at bottom)? Truly awful, but I guess it’s up to government standards.

8. Sherryness says:

I’m sorry, but I just had to go back and look at that thing again and view the source. I find it laughable that that tiny, little site has not one, but two style sheets. There are notations telling them where to type in the title. And over the top indentations for a simple little unordered list. And where did they get those colors? I’m just in shock and awe that our goverment produced that, but I’m not sure why. I guess I’m old enough to still be disappointed when our current governemnt underperfoms.

9. darkclawsofchaos says:

simple and plain, not a bad thing, I hate when there is so much visual junk that the good prts are hidden, like Verizon’s $10 DSL deal

10. AMetamorphosis says:

AMEN Bladefist !

Thanks for pointing that out ! :-)

11. csdiego says:

I was all ready to feel sorry for this poor sad-looking website, and then I read this at the top of the page:

“Financial Literacy: A Sound Investment”

In other words, “it’s your own damn fault for being too stupid to read the fine print.”

And then somehow all my sorry just flew right out the window.

12. shan6 says:

Website from 1976? I really should go through my history again.

13. richtaur says:

I wholeheartedly endorse this initiative.

14. jk09 says:

What a friggin joke. The part I like best is the web page with the sample “press releases.” I mean, come on.