"Tiny Details" Owner Sends Miniature Threats To Former Customer

Tiny Details is a work-at-home company that pays hobbyists to make little dollhousey things. You buy the materials from Tiny Details for $55, make the assigned object(s), and Tiny Details buys them back. Unfortunately, many customers have complained about problems getting payments or refunds from the company over the years—here’s their less-than-stellar BBB entry. Yesterday Kristopher Buchan, the owner of Tiny Details, emailed one former customer/client to tell him his complaints amounted to libel. Buchan demanded the customer remove them from teh interweb, and threatened him repeatedly with a lawsuit. And now we’re posting about it on The Consumerist! See how that works, Tiny Details?

This is an excerpt of Stephen’s original complaint, posted over 18 months ago:

My most recent bout came with a company named Tiny Details based out of Syracuse, NY. My wife was interested in earning some extra money for us from home, a prospect that I found very appealing. What with our son and all, it’s really not feasible for her to go to work, so finding her a way to draw income at home was ideal.

I found Tiny Details while researching along those lines. I considered the link pointing to it to be more legitimate than most (and trust me, I know a lot about links). The site seemed a bit unprofessional, which should have been a big tip-off, but I didn’t find anyone saying anything negative about it. My wife was very excited at the prospect, as much as she loves arts and crafts.

Unfortunately, I didn’t do my research as thoroughly as I should have. It wasn’t until after we had bought a kit for my wife that I came across these Tiny Details customer complaints and some more recent warnings about Tiny Details. I also managed to find the Tiny Details Better Business Bureau report. I’m ashamed to say that I missed such glaring stop signs. I guess I must have been dreamy eyed over their false promises rather than incredulous as I rightfully should have been.

At any rate, I’ve cancelled our order and plan to seek reimbursement through whatever means necessary, up to and including legal action. I don’t expect them to make it easy; companies like this never do. I fully suspect it’s money that I’ll never see again one way or another, in which case I’ll take it as $55 worth of valuable education: If it seems too good to be true, it is. Do your research first, and do it right.

It now pops up on the first page of a Google search for “Tiny Details,” and apparently Kristopher Buchan just discovered the power of search engines, because yesterday was the first time since posting it that Stephen heard anything from the company. Here are the two emails Stephen received, which his friend Simon posted on his website:

Email #1:

I am writing about the substantively incorrect postings that you have on your website.

I am asking that you remove this point immediately. Your representation of Tiny Details is inacurate and libelous.

I have forwarded this information to our company attorney, along with your domain registration information.

Please govern yourself accordingly.

Kristopher Buchan
President
Tiny Details, LLC

Email #2:

Mr. Ward,

You will be hearing from our attorney.

What you have posted is indeed libel.

I am in the process of seeking your address through your domain registrating information. You will be hearing from us shortly.

Kristopher Buchan

Well, just for fairness’ sake, here are some of the complaints about the company we found online on various pages:

From WAHM.com

“You also reminded me that I had sent them a kit (to Christian Miniatures actually) on Nov. the 30th. I added a “Delivery Confirmation” on the package, and it states that they received it on Dec. the 2nd. I had returned a completed kit that needed corrections. It’s the 21st already and I’ve heard nothing. I just called and they just have a recording stating that they’re unavailable and to leave a message for a return call (yeah, like THAT’S gonna happen!). So, I just sent them an email with Deliver Receipt Proof. Two weeks ago they had told me they’d never received it, so they couldn’t tell me anything about it. The receipt showed that they HAD received it. Hmmm, something fishy’s going on here!!!”(posted by rtanza, December 2004)

“Well, I finally heard from Tiny Details today – it seems as though my returned materials were also “never received”. I filed a complaint with the BBB. I foolishly did not send my materials with a return receipt so I really can’t prove anything… but it’s really not the money part of this that is so annoying to me, I just can’t stand the idea of folks being taken advantage of like this. Oh well, live and learn…” (posted by scarletbrook, January 2005)

From Rip-Off Report

I decided to try sending them back their own perfect samples as my first sample to see if they were accepted. They made sure to reassure me that they wanted one sample sent back to them so they could inspect it and save me any trouble making a bunch of mistakes. The only problem with that was that I had to send them a sample and wait longer to see if it even passed their ridiclous inspection. Suprise! It didn’t pass. Wow, go figure. Now I know I have been scammed. I even sent an e-mail to them saying that I sent them their own sample to see how truthful they were and they rejected it. I have yet to get a response. I’m sure that this is just another scam and that I’m out $55 because I was fooled into falling for it. (posted by Leila, April 2006)

To be fair, we can imagine a build-tiny-objects business has its fair share of customers who think the task will be easier than it looks, and who then blame the company when they can’t assemble miniatures at a professional level. (Here’s a defense of the company.) In other words: there’s a chance Tiny Details isn’t a big scam.

But you can’t get all ham-fisted with complaints about your service and try to sue former customers into silence, Buchan. Besides, Stephen’s initial post is so vague that it doesn’t say much more beyond “I decided not to do business with them.” Based on Buchan’s aggression towards an unhappy former customer who was just stating his opinion, we think Stephen made the right call.

“Tiny Details” [Project Paradox]
“Rather than listening to its critics, president of company threatens blogger with libel lawsuit” [Bloggasm]

RELATED
Tiny Details
“BBB Reliability Report for Tiny Details LLC” [Better Business Bureau]
(Photo: Paul Keleher)

Comments

1. timsgm1418 says:

it looks to me, by reading their BBB report, that the company has tried to resolve all the complaints, so not sure why the BBB report is taken as negative..am I missing something?

2. Chris Walters says:

From the BBB report: “Our file contains a pattern of complaints from consumers who report problems obtaining refunds.”

It’s good that they’ve addressed many of them, but it’s a high number of complaints for a small company. But like I said, that may be the nature of this sort of business.

Doesn’t change the fact that the owner threatened a dissatisfied customer with a lawsuit, just for expressing his opinions online.

3. Nytmare says:

I’d be leery of any company that used the phrase “work from home” and would definitely avoid one that required me to pay them money in order to “work for” them.

I have a friend who looked into a company (don’t now the name) that supposedly payed you to create software models, but first you had to buy their $450 modeling software. He was smart and checked them out on the web first, nothing but piles of complaints.

4. Tansis says:

“If it seems too good to be true, it is. Do your research first, and do it right.”

According to the story he thought he did it right before sending away for the kit. I find it astonishing that when we are so set in seeing a good oppurtunity. We fail to realize the detrimental situation our decision will cause.

5. djanes1 says:

Detective Lester Freamon does not approve!

6. cmdr.sass says:

How much of a market can there be for doll house miniatures?

7. Buran says:

@cmdr.sass: You might be surprised. Some hobbies seem like a niche but have thousands of practitioners. My Mom has a friend who used to do this stuff and her handiwork was amazing. Me, I go for plastic models (aircraft etc).

8. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

It looks like Kristopher sent some tiny goons to rough up tiny June Cleaver in that photo there. She may want to change her name and relocate to a tiny new dollhouse in the suburbs of Phoenix.

9. BuriedCaesar says:

You’d be surprised… some items can actually cost more than the full-size version.

10. BuriedCaesar says:

@Buran: Hmmm… looks like I didn’t type fast enough.

11. jfischer says:

“Yes, Mr. CEO, I think we should close that manufacturing plant in that 3rd world nation, as we can have a lower cost of goods sold by utilizing bored housewives as our labor force. While we will have to deal with making up kits of components and shipping, and the unpredictable nature of having no idea when any of them will send back any completed items, let alone any items that are suitable for resale, we will have a far superior product as a result of using people who want to ‘work from home’ regardless of their manual dexterity or assembly skills…”

Come on, anyone who falls for this sort of come-on is paying a “gullibility tax”. They got off cheap if all it cost them was $55.00 to find out that they were duped.

To my knowledge, the only “work from home” opportunity with a sure-fire basis for an expectation of profits would involve the manufacturing of methamphetamine,
    and it has the minor problems of being both illegal and dangerous.

12. nequam says:

The devil is in the [tiny] details.

13. phalex says:

@djanes1: SIGH. That’s exactly who I thought of when I saw this post (even though his diverse talents are obviously put to better use elsewhere). Gonna miss him.

14. whiterose says:

I’ve been collecting doll house miniatures for over 30 years, and I assure you, there is a hugh market for doll house miniatures, and they aint cheap!

15. rjhiggins says:

@jfischer: Yeah, that’s exactly what the guy said in his original posting, having the guts to sheepishly admit he didn’t investigate enough. Not sure why you feel the need to beat him up some more.

16. forgottenpassword says:

IMO ANY “work at home” business that requires you to buy a kit (or buy anything first) is a BIG warning sign that its a scam.

I fell for this shit once when I was young & stupid…. never again.

17. plustax says:

I had an issue with a company once and decided to do a little more research into filing a BBB complaint. I found something very surprising and frustrating. On the BBB listing almost everyone has very negative ratings. Retailers in my area that had stellar products and services were coming up with an “F” rating. Their site is rather misleading due to the fact that most people don’t go out of their way to compliment a business the way the do to report their indiscretions. Their rating system is too vague without more specific information about the customer’s complaint. It probably be revamped for our blogosphere world we’ve created.

18. Michael Belisle says:

$55 sure does seem like a ridiculously high “deposit” for a couple of sheets of paper with some printing on it.

19. Michael Belisle says:

@plustax: The ratings are worthless and it seems like some local BBBs don’t use them. Note how it’s a 13-level scale of relentless excellence. Only when you get to D (rung 2 from the bottom) do they do they recommend general caution.

Personally I had trouble finding an F company. The worst company I’ve dealt with is only at a D (a recent drop from their previous C). This is despite the fact that their primary business model is to charge you for things you didn’t order.

20. hills says:

angieslist.com is a great alternative to the BBB if it’s available in your city – Consumers leave detailed reports – good or bad, and I’ve had lots of luck finding good service there (but then I still double check with the BBB usually….).

21. DeltaPurser says:

Teh Interwebs :-) :-) :-)

22. stephenjames716 says:

that website looks like a scam itself…horrible layout!

23. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:
  24. ClayS says:

I suspect Kristopher Buchan is a moron operating out of his garage.

25. socritic says:

Mr. Buchan Is being a bully. If only was he smart enough to realize how potent the consumerist is. Threatening people with law suits over personal postings about your company service these days is as good as posting a “STAY AWAY” warning to all customers. Vote with your feet.

26. walkofdoom says:

What the original message said was little more than that they should know better. With -that- reaction, sounds like someone has a guilty conscious.

27. quail says:

That’s a common scam among those work at home/build stuff for us companies. They reject what you make. In the end you are their customer. You’d have better success buying your materials directly from a online craft store, building it, and then selling the stuff yourself at eBay.

28. Chols says:

The condom box kit made my day.

29. apotheosis says:

Pity Kristopher Buchan didn’t use some of his newly-acquired google-fu to discover how frequently that “legally bludgeon complaints into sweet, sweet silence” tactic backfires.

30. sleze69 says:

How soon before this story becomes the highest search result in Google? Watch out, Ben! You might be libelous.

31. DanGross says:

They should know better than to sweat the small stuff…

Anyway, as has been mentioned, the BBB “system” is very faulty. My understanding is that an “attempt to resolve” is more or less the company clicking a button that says: “Yes, I did something.” That something could amount to a letter to the complainant saying “tough cookies.” There’s no follow-up to ensure that the concerns were actually acted on in an appropriate manner, just that they were acted upon. Someone could verify this, but I’m pretty sure the “BBB resolution” issue is a lot less consumer-friendly than one might think…

32. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@jfischer: It’s not a Consumerist thread without someone blaming the victim…but the victim already blamed himself…

*watches laws of the Consumerist universe implode*

Seriously, no one deserves to have a crime committed against them. That’s why it’s a crime; you’re not supposed to do it.

33. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I propose a new “See how that works?” tag for when ridiculous libel and slander claims end up generating more bad PR for companies (especially for ones most of us hadn’t even heard of before).

34. bohemian says:

How is there even any doubt this is a scam. Any employment opportunity that is asking you to pay them is a scam.

The real story is that this guy is trying to intimidate people into not saying anything. Maybe the victim should talk to their state consumer protection or consumer protection in that state it operates out of. Wasn’t there an ebay scammer who finally got arrested by the feds last year? Isn’t this mail fraud? I bet if they investigate they will find that nobody has ever been paid by this guy.

35. timsgm1418 says:

amazingly a lot of people collect doll house stuff, it sells on Ebay all the time. My favorite craft store has 2 aisles of miniature items for doll houses..not into it myself, but a lot are@cmdr.sass:

36. timsgm1418 says:

@jfischer: ah yes, it’s always those kind of minor problems that get ya.

37. timsgm1418 says:

I have used the BBB to intercede for me once before. I play on a game site that gives tokens for playing, and I actually won $50 on a weekly drawing. The site sent me the email to verify who I was etc, and then I waited 3 months (they said could be 8 – 12 weeks)I emailed the business to tell them I hadn’t received my winnings and they said they checked my account and discovered that I was using software to cheat on the games because I had a high score on a word game. I told them I don’t know how to use that kind of sw and I know a lot of words, because I read a lot. I finally gave up on them and filed with BBB. I got an email from the site saying “we’ve reconsidered your account and you will receive your check within 2 weeks” and I actually received it! I guess they figured if I took the time to contact BBB maybe I wasn’t a cheat

38. yesteryear says:

i don’t understand how this could be taken for anything but a scam. the website looks like it was created with the yahoo page editor circa 1997.

and how could this business model make money if it wasn’t a scam? people are paying $55 for the supplies to begin assembling miniature steno notebooks… and condom boxes?! it’s kind of hilarious!

39. erica.blog says:

@bohemian: “Any employment opportunity that is asking you to pay them is a scam.”

I don’t think that can ever be reiterated enough. I also appreciate that Consumerist call buyers “customers” instead of the more usual “employees”! My aunt just got a computer and I spend lots of time making sure she doesn’t buy into all this work-at-home garbage… there’s a surprising amount of it.

Good for Stephen for doing research (even though it was a teeny bit late) and hopefully he doesn’t give in to the silly libel threats.

40. ProjectParadox says:

As the author of the original story, I want to thank Chris Walters and the good folks at the Consumerist for running with it. The unexpected vote of confidence really made my day.

@nytmare: Customer diligence is indeed the name of the game with work-at-home opportunities.

@Tansis, jfischer, bohemian: Your assessment is completely correct. My wife was excited and I wanted to believe that she could make us some extra money working at home. I’ll admit; my initial research wasn’t thorough enough, and I paid for it.

@nequam, Jaysyn, Rectilinear Propagation: LMAO :D

I truly appreciate all of the consideration this is receiving. Hopefully, Kris Buchan will see this and realize that coming after bloggers with baseless legal threats will only make things worse.

Best regards,
    Stephen Ward

41. apotheosis says:

After looking at that page, I’m curious about something: do miniature manufacturers have to pay some sort of premium or license to use trademarked images and designs in the products they’re reselling?

Like, Lifestyles condoms. Or any of the book covers, which are copyrighted images.

42. LoLoAGoGo says:

Isn’t part of the definition of libel “false, inaccurate statements”? Defamatory isn’t enough, and right now they’re not doing a very good job to prove the statements are false or inaccurate. Or at least that’s how we definied it in journalism.

43. B says:

You’ll hear from our lawyers, our tiny, tiny lawyers!
    “And Trust me, I know a lot about links” Apparently not.

44. apotheosis says:

@Rectilinear Propagation:

Or alternatively, a Billy-the-Kid-esque “We’ll make ya famous.”

45. azntg says:

I’m no lawyer, just an undergrad Chemistry student with a little background in political science, law and high school education, but apparently, Kris and his lawyers know nothing about the concept of libel…

The TRUTH (as in not receiving payments as agreed as Stephen claims) isn’t libel, it’s a DEFENSE AGAINST LIBEL.

If anything, Stephen should be initiating a lawsuit against Kris and company in small claims court for withholding payment! Perhaps some additional charges to tack on if his family and his lawyer can think of some more.

46. GearheadGeek says:

@LoLoAGoGo: The real problem that Mr. Buchan would have in substantiating a claim of libel is that Stephen’s actual posting is almost journalistic in its neutrality. He posts that he found information from a number of sources that gave him reason to doubt Tiny Details, links to those sources, and says he’s canceled his order and encourages others with a bit of caveat emptor.

If Buchan’s attorney suggested he has a good case for libel, Buchan either hasn’t given him all the information or he’s an attorney of the “My Cousin Vinny” variety.

47. StinkyCat says:

ummmmm, maybe I missed the aprt where the guy bought the kit and had an actual problem with Tiny Details. As I read it, he bought the kit and before ever doing the craft and seeking cash he read on the internet that the compnay was problematic…so he wrote an interwebby complaint (before there was anything to complain about) and threatened to sue (before there was anything to sue about). Maybe the guy should get his lazy wife some real skills and open up his OWN home based business.

48. TPK says:

@Jaysyn:

This is great… someone needs to add a reference to Consumerist in there somewhere though…

49. m4ximusprim3 says:

@StinkyCat: Thats kinda how I read it as well- does he even have anything to sue about? or is he just speculating that he may not get his money?

Either way, the libel letter is pretty douche.

50. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@m4ximusprim3: He’s assuming they’re going to give him static about a refund.

I think “up to and including legal action” implies that he will sue but that isn’t his first option.

51. StinkyCat says:

@Rectilinear Propagation:

But only a complete asshole would go around threatening legal action BEFORE he was given any static. But what can I expect from a douche bag that wants to puthis wife to work painting and constructing tiny furniture shipped to him from an internet company.

52. MeOhMy says:

The gravy here is the dates on the posts. Stephen’s gripes languished in obscurity for a year and a half and would have probably stayed that way if Tiny Details didn’t try to play hardball over something so minor. Now they tried to be the tough guy, suddenly they are in the limelight and everyone is noticing all the complaints and the baseless legal bullying.

A shining example of how not to run a business.

53. ProjectParadox says:

@B: Let’s just say I know more about links now than I did back then. To my understanding, the link that I followed so long ago has since been removed due to complaints to the webmaster.

@StinkyCat: I’m not exactly sure what you problem is, nor do I care. I don’t make it a habit to respond to trolls.

@m4ximusprim3, Rectilinear Propagation: The article doesn’t clarify because it was written before we reached any sort of final resolution (and I didn’t bother to update it because it “languished in obscurity” for so long that I thought it unimportant). I asked for a refund and did indeed receive static. My wife decided to try and do the kit anyway and found it to be just as cheap and impossible-to-complete as others have noted. I considered the prospect of a lawsuit for a time, but ultimately decided against it; $55 just didn’t justify the potential legal fees and hassle.

54. StinkyCat says:

@ProjectParadox:

Trolls? Is that what you call anybody that reads through your bullshit and serves it back to the thread laced with a little more truthful perspective?

As for the article not reflecting the whole story and you not wanting to bother updating it…well that just shows more of your asshatted laziness. The updated part of the story is what would have clarified the story, you boob.

As it is, you handled the reporting of your quasi-plight in the same manner you handled the research of your wifes new get rich scheme, sloppily, half-assed, and blindly.

You deserve whatever you get. Now, quit adding to the watering down of Consumerist with your whiney little story of being done wrong when the whole thing could have been avoided in the first place if you used your brain.

55. JMH says:

@azntg: Yup. Truth is an absolute defense to libel. If what Stephen is saying is true and he can back it up, he really should have nothing to worry about and should welcome the chance to air his grievances in public.

56. ExVee says:

…is “registrating” actually a word, or is it like “orientated” where it’s come into semi-common use out of sheer mass ignorance?

57. rjhiggins says:

@StinkyCat: Wow, got some anger management issues there, Stinky?

58. SimonOwens says:

I’ve been reading Consumerist for awhile now and there are a number of readers like StinkyCat that take the blame-the-victim approach — that it’s the idiot consumers who were naive and they deserved what they got. It really is despicable and predictable.

59. ProjectParadox says:

I thought it worth noting that, after a more civil exchange of emails between Kris Buchan and myself, he’s agreed to the more amicable solution of having his side of the story included in the post. Personally, I wish the whole thing hadn’t gone so far, but I’m glad it didn’t go as far as a trial. I know that I’ll walk away from this with some important lessons about restraint in online communication.

@rjhiggins: I don’t think you’ll be getting a response from StinkyCat. According to his profile, his ability to comment is no longer enabled.

60. Snarkysnake says:

Any reputable company will invest in you,not the other way around.

That said, heres an idea-

Buy the stuff at a local hobby store.Build it better than these guys could. Go on Ebay and sell it yourself (cutting these dishonest bastards out of the deal).With every order,include a coupon for your next purchase.Start a website that you obliquely mention in your ebay ad (lots of eyeballs ,but Ebay wants all of the business for itself,so be careful ) .
    Kick “Tiny Details” tiny ass on service,price and follow up.Make these sons of bitches rue the day that they pissed you off.

61. kalmakazee says:

@StinkyCat:

You are an ASSHOLE!!

You act as if you had never made any STUPID mistakes in your life!! Quit acting like tough shit!!

@ProjectParadox:

Don’t let that douchebag Stinkycat get to you. She is nothing but a heartless piece of shit!!

I feel bad for you man. We all make stupid mistakes sometimes. Just about every person in this world has been scammed some time or other, including me.

62. Trica says:

I, too, have been scammed by Tiny Details. I ordered my kit, did a sample and sent it in for review. After I was told my work was good (excellent, in fact!), I completed the kit. I sent it back within the 60 days allowed (with delivery confirmation) and sat back to await my $50.00 payment. I also indicated that they keep my deposit and send another kit. After 20 days with no payment or kit, I emailed the company. I waited 3 days then emailed them again. Again, no answer. I waited 3 more days and tried again. Then again. I also called their office and left messages. Nothing. Finally, after about 5 weeks I followed through on my threats and turned them in to the BBB. On December 20, 2007 the BBB forwarded a response to me from Tiny Details. In it they informed the BBB that they had not heard from me, no calls on their call logs, no email on their email logs. Furthermore, they never received any product from me. I promptly forwarded to the BBB copies of all the emails I had sent them, a copy of my delivery confirmation receipt from the Post Office and a copy of my phone records which proved I had indeed made the calls to their company number.

Three and a half weeks later a box from Tiny Details arrives. I didn’t want to open it without knowing what was in it so I called the company. They actually answered the phone this time! Anyway, it turns out that my work was unsatisfactory. But what amazes me is that they had somehow found the shipment that they said they had never received! So how do I know it is my work and not someone else’s rejected product? There’s no way to know. The person I talked to couldn’t really answer my questions or clear my confusion. She did tell me that I could return a form and request 1/2 of my deposit back since I had returned my kit within the 60 days allowed, although they have no proof that I returned anything.

I sent a letter requesting a refund as I was told, but still haven’t heard from them. I’m sure it never arrived or they managed to lose it. My only option is to go back to the BBB but I don’t see that as accomplishing anything. Oh, well.

63. Oyenarte says:

First off, the only reason people complained about not getting paid like they thought they were is because they couldn’t do the work that was required of them, which means it was probably to hard for them. Secondly, he has every right to say he’s going to open a lawsuit on someone if he pleases. If you were a buisness owner and that was your lively hood, and someone starts talking negatively about you on a website that alot of people might visit, wouldn’t you possibly threaten them with some kind of legal action to get them off your case? I know I sure would. And I know a few business owners who have done the same thing, and it made the person(s) stop bothering and the problem was resolved. So everyone needs to stop bad mouthing companies that don’t deserve it, like Tiny Details. Just leave Kris alone, he hasn’t done anything to you except unintentionally confuse you.

64. Keep It Real says:

I am a RETAILER of Dollhouse Miniatures. I am the one that buys the products that Tiny Details and other, similar miniature companies sell. Tiny Details is not the only company that works this way, many others depend on their items being made by people from their homes. Without naming another company specifically, I know of three others who market their home kits.

I am not connected with Tiny Details in any other way than being one of their customers for their FINISHED products. I have met Kris (the owner) only twice, at miniature trade shows where he, and several hundred other miniature company sells their items for resale.

Many people believe that these home projects are simple ones. They are not. Miniature collectors are extremely picky about the finished product. My customers are not buying these items for their children or a child’s dollhouse. They build their dollhouses and spend literally as much as $50,000.00 to complete one with all the normal things found in a home represented in 1:12 scale. They want PERFECTION in every assembled product. No glue showing, even seams, perfect appearance.

I have seen posts here of people claiming that their work was rejected. I am happy that Tiny Details maintain their standards because my own customers will likewise insist on perfection. The mere fact that I order from Tiny Details and get well made items shows that many people are able to work for them with no problems.

As to the constant references to their ratings by the BBB. Perhaps some of you may have caught the expose on the BBB that was televised last night (November 14, 2010). It appears that any company that BUYS a membership with the BBB can have their failing (F and F-) grades made into A’s and A+ overnight. The BBB has ZERO credibility at this point. Undercover cameras caught them changing a failing grade into a positive one as soon as the company paid to join.

There are always two sides to every story. I hope this post balances some of the comments made by those who feel that their work was dismissed simply because Tiny Details did not want to pay. This is ridiculous. They DEPEND on a steady supply of miniatures to keep their business running. If the work was truly acceptable, they would pay the assembler as promised.

Tiny Details products are carried not only on their own catalog but in the catalogs of other miniature companies. I recently ordered one item that came defective, it had become crushed due to that other company using poor packaging. I contacted Tiny Details to order a replacement directly from them. Kris offered to replace that one at no charge, even though the money for it had gone to another company.

Several people have posted that Kris offered them easier kits when they could not do the ones that they had ordered. If Kris was out to scam people, he would not go the extra mile to have a satisfied customer even when it cost him money, or sent other kits to those who over estimated their own abilities. He could have just told them, “you bought it, it is yours now” and moved on.

As I said, there are two sides to every issue posted here.

• SunnyW74 says:

Then explain to me how a company that is as good as you say it is can ignore people’s emails, calls and not at least send some form of acknowledgement after the work a person’s put into their kit? They also guarantee refunds, at least partial!!! I did my work, they accepted my sample, I even wrote to them with questions to make sure I was doing everything just right. In fact, my story is very similar to Trica’s story above. I am not a liar and I know I did the work correctly. I am also a doll house collector and know what it is like to want to have everything perfect in a dollhouse! Being a collector myself is the main reason why I wanted to give Tiny Details a try.

At this point I’d just be happy if this company returned my emails with an explanation. If for some reason they didn’t like my work – fine, I can accept that, but what I cannot accept is ignoring and rudeness. Tiny Details, at least be decent enough to send a person a letter of explanation. I spent hours making those products. It is the least I deserve. The way it stands now is that I paid for the kit, I sent it to them finished, and they simply stole it!!!

So some of you folks can defend TD all you want. But if a company cannot respect their customers enough to respond to their questions and complaints like any decent humand beings should, they are not an honest company and deserve to be reported.

65. SunnyW74 says:

I am one of the people who actually spent a week carefully making one of those kits, followng through with all of Tiny Details rules, like sending the sample and waiting for their response, which was quick and positive about my work, yet over a month later I am still waiting for my payment. I tried getting in touch with them to no avail. They were quick to respond when the question was about a product or buying the kit, but they were just as quick to ignore when it came to paying for my work. They won’t even write back and try resolve the problem. No wonder other people were forced to use BBB services to get their money back from TD, because these people refuse to deal with their unhappy customers in a proper honest business fashion.
    I can understand why a place like this would want a deposit – after all, they don’t know if the assembler will do the work or not, so they have to have some protection. But their business practices are lousy. One would think that they’d want to treat their customers right, in order to stay in business. But this kind of attitude is unacceptable from any business that calls themselves legitimate!
    There’s a lot of work at home scams, but people do assemble products at home and get paid for it. This isn’t that uncommon. Getting with a decent company that would stick to their promise is another matter.
    Well, all I can say here is that they missed out on a quality assembler with me. I took a chance on them and lost, and writing this post here so other people will see it and won’t make the same mistake.