Texas Roadhouse Steak Stuffed With Pubic Hair

Kevin Hansen ordered a steak at a Texas Roadhouse in West Bend, Milwaukee and bit into it. After three bites, he noticed something odd. A foreign object. It wasn’t a prize, or a coupon for a free drink. It was human facial hair, placed in his steak by cook Ryan Kropp. Hansen wasn’t the only victim of Koop’s follicle-spreading-spree. According to the criminal complaint, later that night Kropp placed hair in a second steak, turned to a co-worker, and announced, “These are my pubes.” The cook was charged with a felony count of putting a foreign object in food, punishable by a max of 3.5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Beware ye, consumer, of the wrath of the underpaid restaurant staff.

(Thanks to Jay!)

Comments

1. Spyrojoe says:

I never got why cooks do shit like this. Servers, sure. They take the brunt of the asshole customers, but the cooks don’t know who the food is going to.

2. zibby says:

This is why I don’t fly.

3. ElizabethD says:

OK, just gag me. 8-P

Hope the cook gets the maximum.

4. statnut says:

Its the victims fault for going out to order a steak. I always prepare my steaks at home, with my own pubic hair.

That was sarcasm, FYI.

5. tamoko says:

Whoa… At least it didn’t have any “Special Sauce”…

6. Instigator says:

Now I know where the kitchen staff of Shenanigans wound up.

7. humphrmi says:

@zibby:

This is why I don’t fly

Ummmm, OK.

No, wait, Huh?

8. homerjay says:

Okay?? And how did this end???

9. clyde55 says:

The funniest thing about this is the Warning: Graphic Content notice WTMJ placed on the story. I guess talking about pubic hairs on sandwiches would upset a lot of people.

10. kublaconsumer says:

Yeah, the cook is just underpaid. That’s why he puts hair in peoples food. *rollseyes*

11. whatdoyoucare says:

What in the hell is wrong with people?!

12. deserthiker says:

Why just last night I enjoyed some red snapper with pubic hair.

13. arch05 says:

@kublaconsumer: Are you defending him? You need to elaborate.

14. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Why were there people copulating in the meat freezer?!

15. backbroken says:

Is his name Kropp or Koop? I’m confused.

16. Hawk07 says:

I don’t know why this was posted to the Consumerist because now everybody is going to want/demand one at the Roadhouse.

17. Parting says:

Eeewwww, I just got my lunch :(

He should be forced to eat steak with someone else’s pubic hair.

18. Chris Walters says:

Two Fat Ladies had this recipe several years ago on their show, except I think they used lamb.

19. DrGirlfriend says:

Well, maybe it was delicious. Didja ever think of that?

20. Snarkysnake says:

This guy should be charged with aggravated assault. He should be tested for communicable diseases (such as hepatitis)and barred from working in the restaurant business again.I don’t give a damn how little you make or what a bunch of asshats run your company,this is just wrong.

21. snoop-blog says:

Mmmmm, just like mom use to make.

22. RogueSophist says:

@arch05: I believe kublaconsumer was implying that people don’t do this because they’re “underpaid,” but because they’re “douchebags.”

23. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@arch05: I think kublaconsumer is calling the cook a nut.

Normal people who are underpaid might work slower or sloppier but they do not put body hair into food. This is the behavior of someone who is either a nut or an unbelievable asshole.

24. timsgm1418 says:

good one. I believe you got the first..customers fault comment…and definitely why would you get strangers pubes when you can have your own?@statnut:

25. SaveMeJeebus says:

Just because you get poverty wages doesn’t mean you automatically lack pride in your job.

26. timsgm1418 says:

@RogueSophist: that’s how I read it too, I don’t think he was defending the cook

27. moore850 says:

You have to have a license to fish, but not to cook that fish for people. Based on this story, I can’t see how restaurant chains at least don’t just implement their own licensing system to keep these people from getting back into the food prep service.

28. arch05 says:

@RogueSophist: @Rectilinear Propagation: That was my initial thought, I just wanted some confirmation before I went off on an incorrectly-directed flame-bomb rant.

29. A.W.E.S.O.M.-O says:

I think if people knew how common things like this are, they’d eat out a lot less–I’ve heard some pretty bad stories from my friends. Then again, my friends are douchebags.

30. Hawk07 says:

This actually how the potato chip was invented. (It wasn’t through gross human biology/anatomy though.)

Some chef who had his potato slices returned and insulted by a patron. So in his plot for revenge, he cut them extra thin, fried them, and then caked them in salt. They were an instant hit!

Anybody that watches AFN should know what I’m talking about. As bad as some of the commercials were, it was almost like the History Channel.

31. Trai_Dep says:

Awful. But at least the cook averred from depositing his fluids on the food.

32. FearlessUser says:

My parents love going to that restaurant where that happened. I was at that one once and wasn’t that impressed. I don’t need to go to a place where the waitstaff takes time out from giving me my food to do some stupid dance. I wonder if they’ll go back after hearing about this. I know the guy is gone, but still, doesn’t really say much for the people they hire, or that I went to school with for that matter…
    BTW, it’s West Bend, WI. Not West Bend, Milwaukee. West Bend is about a half hour or so northwest of Milwaukee.

33. Bay State Darren says:

Facial or pubic?

34. Mr. Gunn says:

Many states require food handlers to get a license, which requires a TB and hepatitis test. However, not all states do. Because of stuff like this (which is more common than you may think, especially at chains and places frequented by asshole customers), and because I’ve known some crazy SOBs in my time in the kitchen, it should really be mandatory.

Best way to manage your risk is to avoid those places.

35. bluewyvern says:

Love the misleading, sensationalist headline. *rolleyes*

It was facial hair, he only called it pubic hair.

If you wrote all your headlines based on the subjects’ claims as opposed to what was actually going on, Consumerist would be full of articles like “Geek Squad Fast, Knowledgeable and Ethical”, “X-Box Solid, Lasts Forever and Ever”, and “Comcast Makes People Happy”.

36. TheBigLewinski says:

Got to tell you, I really enjoy “Bearded Clams”

37. acutusnothus says:

Ah, yes, the ol’ Steak-n-Floss special.

38. MrMold says:

I’ve worked in kitchens and only the sickest bastard did crap like this. Once.

39. pengie says:

@bluewyvern:

“A coworker of Kropp’s says in the complaint says that later on that night, Kropp took a second steak, put hair in it, and told his coworker, “these are my pubes.””

Seeing as not even the original article elaborates on whether or not this part was true, I don’t think it’s necessary to call the headline “sensationalist.”

It’s disgusting either way.

40. synergy says:

@bluewyvern: One steak had facial hair. A second one had a hair that the cook claimed was pubic hair. SO. The article states one steak had facial hair and a second steak had pubic hair, according to the cook. Whether or not it was pubic hair, who knows. There should be follow-up or clarification on that point. Unless the co-worker prevented the second steak from getting served, but either way it could’ve been kept as evidence even if it wasn’t actually served, the guy had the intention of sending it out before he went and blabbed about it.

41. Tank says:

@deserthiker: …and if I find a noodle in here, I’m not paying for this either!

42. Grandjester says:

@synergy:

Get CSI in here stat! I am sure that an electron microscope, some luminal and a black lite will answer all of our questions.

43. loueloui says:

Oh! You mean you didn’t ask for the Clarence Thomas cut? My mistake.

44. snoop-blog says:

@bluewyvern: dude what headline isn’t trying to mislead you? even the ones that say “geek squad fast, knowledgeable, and ethical” are misleading you. being good at it is kinda a job requirement. not too many papers want you to make a headline to sound dull and uninteresting. that kinda defeats the purpose.

45. h0mi says:

You can’t mix Mexican with Continental!

46. Lordstrom says:

As another person noted, it’s ridiculous that Consumerist put a small automatic defense in by saying “underpaid”. That’s basically code for “raise minimum wage to $20 an hour and this will never happen”. Which is absurd.

47. mikelotus says:

@Snarkysnake: how do you bar someone from working in restaurants again? guess it made you feel good to say that?

this is why one should shave their pubes. its the thing to do now anyway, right?

and texas roadhouse hates us for our freedoms.

48. MrEvil says:

Well, thanks to the fact he’s on charges for a felony. If he’s convicted it’ll show up on his criminal record. That will effectively keep him from working in the restaurant business ever again. No restaurant owner would want exposure to that kind of liabiliy. That would be a slam dunk lawsuit if a restaurant knowingly hired an individual convicted of inserting forein objects into food who continued his doctoring spree.

49. snoop-blog says:

most restaurants don’t do criminal background checks. as a former manager, what we were told to do in an interview is to tell them everything looks good, we just need to do a background check first, now before i do, is there anything on there you want to tell your side of the story on first?

you basically are trying to scare them into telling you about anything on there so you don’t have to spend the money to actually pull one. i have a friend whos a convicted felon, who alwyas lies about it on applications, and never confesses them either, on the chance they won’t pull one.

50. forgottenpassword says:

@snoop-blog:

good to know!

51. clevershark says:

I doubt that many businesses do background checks on applicants for low-/un-skilled, high-turnover jobs unless there’s some law that states that they have to (and even then…). It would just be too much time and expense.

52. kublaconsumer says:

@arch05: The dude is a freakish misfit and paying him more won’t change that.

53. timsgm1418 says:

yep, that seems to be common whenever they are talking about someone doing something disgusting. Because being low paid means it’s ok to cause a health risk or tamper with someones food…perhaps it’s that kind of attitude that prevents them from getting a better paid job? @lorddave:

54. Spaztrick says:

@h0mi: Damn! You beat me to the “Waiting” punchline.

55. yesteryear says:

@Chris Walters: hahahahh! but seriously, EW! this is the sickest thing ive read yet on this site.

56. amccoll says:

@Spaztrick:

I scanned the comments looking for the reference.

In any case, if you’ve ever seen the movie, the main point is “Don’t fuck with the people who handle your food” I worked at a Ponderosa for two years, and it’s crazy what the cooks will think up if you piss someone off who’s working the floor.

My favorite trick was when one of the cooks ran a steak through the dishwasher after the customer told the server she would have been better off having sex for money. She served him the dishwasher steak and reported the sexual harassment to management after he ate it.

57. thalia says:

This is why I don’t eat out. I used to work in a diner and the cooks would always drop food on the floor (which was covered in grease, dirt, and crumbs) and then say, “Well, the grill will cook the germs off, so it’s alright”.

58. kme1227 says:

i worked at taco bell when i was in high school. we goofed off to make time go by quicker but i can honestly say we never messed with peoples food. even the rude customers who treated us like crap. i dont think its fair to put all people in the food industry in the same category as this disgusting pig. there are idiots in every industry. thank god this man got caught.

59. Captain Sassypants says:

When I was a cook in a restaurant, the motto was “It’s nothing 550 degrees won’t kill.” I am now much pickier about where I’ll eat out.

And to everyone who’s calling the headline overly dramatic, pubic hair is technically any hair that doesn’t come in until puberty so, yeah, his nasty goatee-steak qualifies as pubic too.

60. timsgm1418 says:

and either way I don’t want someones hair in my food, I don’t really care what part of their body it comes from, I prefer hair-free meat.@Captain Sassypants:

61. ninjatales says:

I hope he gets to eat pubes for dinner on a daily basis in prison for the next 3.5 years.

62. yesteryear says:

well, depending on the sexual promiscuity of this so-called “cook”, the texas roadhouse could re-package this as a new and improved “surf and turf”.

ugh. i can’t believe i just made that joke.

63. The Marionette says:

I’ll be honest, even if someone is under-paid, there’s no reason for them to act like an emo and try to get back by doing something to a customer or their products. What would they have accomplished? If a person at ooooh say burger king were pissed one day, and decided to spit in someone’s burger., i’m posisitve the person wouldn’t even realized their burger has an extra toping ( or 2,depending on the worker) and will of course not bother them because of that, and only when they DO know will it bother them.

64. feesbag says:

@statnut:

Really? Never would have guessed it. I mean, your post seemed sooo sincere.

65. tcp100 says:

As wrong as this is, this is why I never dine out anymore with the friends of mine who insist on “sending things back” if they aren’t exactly freaking perfect.

I used to have a friend who would complain and send back EVERYTHING. I’m not sure what her goal is, but I’m sure several things she got back were a little more “well done” than she asked for.

66. diner222 says:

Cooks should not assume that all people that send food back are out to get a meal for free. That is up to the manager to decide and that is why there is a manager. What right does a cook have to be judge and jury to decide this. Food tampering is a severe criminal act. I have learned to treat people as you would like to be treated yourself. Maybe this cook would like hair in his food.

I feel sorry for this customer I imagine he gets sick every time he thinks about this. If this cook has a sick enough mind to do this he may have a STD. This costumer runs the risk of contracting it.

To set the record straight Kevin was the one that got the pubic hair in his food not a facial hair. Read the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal report on 2/28/08 go to JSONLINE.com to read this.

67. JustaConsumer says:

We refer to this chain as the Texas Blowhouse. Took a kids soccer team to one, got chili that was still frozen and a variety of other very nasty things, and half the team got sick. It was awful.

68. Spooty says:

Hey! A followup. He pled guilty just two days ago.
    See [www.examiner.com]
    Sentencing is on August 12th.
    Let’s hope he gets, say, at least one of the 3 years possible sentence.

69. I worked in restaurants as a kid and learned very young to never be a jerk to those who are feeding you.