Scammy Website Charges For Voter Registration

A scammy website, “IWantToVote.com,” has been charging residents of New Jersey $9.99 to fill out their voter registration forms, says that New Jersey Public Advocate:

State Public Advocate Ronald Chen said during last week’s presidential primaries, he heard from three people who tried to register to vote on the commercial Web site. They were turned away at the polling place because they were not officially registered.

Don’t fall for this crap. Voter registration forms have to be signed and mailed-in. You can get your forms at Rock the Vote’s website.

Web site charges nearly $10 for voter registration forms [NJ.com] (Thanks, Todd!)
(Photo:Tengaport)

Comments

1. joeblevins says:

Kind of like the Dade County Florida voters in 2000, do we really want to count the votes of people that can’t figure out how to vote?

2. ianmac47 says:

Or get New Jersey’s voter registration form directly from the state:

[www.state.nj.us]

3. We just had a ballot question in NJ which sought to:

revise the current constitutional language concerning denial of the right to vote by deleting the phrase “idiot or insane person” and providing instead that a “person who has been adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction to lack the capacity to understand the act of voting” shall not enjoy the right of suffrage, be adopted?

Do these people fall under that category?

4. sp00nix says:
  5. LordieLordie says:

too many stupid people in our country. People who are so ignorant of civics that they think they need to pay in order to vote. And we wonder why we have the administration we have now? Because we deserve it!

6. IrisMR says:

So, is the state gonna sue that owner?

7. @LordieLordie: You’re right! And the people who are voting today and using computers more than likely went through school during the Clinton Administration. It’s a shame NJ doesn’t have some process by where you can register to vote when getting a license, or at the DMV. Oh wait, they do?

8. @LordieLordie: As an aside, according to your argument, EVERY administration has been elected by people who are “ignorant to civics”. Or did we all of a sudden have a “enlightening” during the 8 years Clinton was in office, and then went downhill again?

9. CaptainConsumer says:

@LordieLordie:

“My opponent talks about Social Security like it’s some kind of government program” GWB 2000

10. Falconfire says:

Want scammy, how about how the USPS charges you a dollar to change your address online as a “convenience fee.”

11. I suspect Karl Rove is behind this, or at least laughing his ass off at it.

12. noquarter says:

Here’s a question for all of you “People are so stupid” people to jump all over: How do I determine which party I’m registered to vote with?

13. barfoo says:

@Falconfire: They do that in part because they have no way of verifying identities other than a credit card. Otherwise I could go online and change thousands of strangers’ addresses (it’s already a little too easy to do that).

14. stinkingbob says:

I looked at the website and there is nothing “scammy” about it. It’s a legit business. It tell you exactly what they will do and what the person must do. It’s all there in black and white. If people need assistance in filling out the form, then this could be an option for them. I do agree that the application is easy to fill out. Just put name and address down, check off a few yes or no questions and mail it in. But for some, this may be “difficult”.

15. LetMeGetTheManager says:

This is not the first time, in fact, a Google News search shows how bad it is:

[news.google.com]

16. @Falconfire: But they send you a coupon/coupons to your new address. So you save anyway.

17. picardia says:

I’m just impressed that people are that committed to voting.

18. K-Bo says:

@Falconfire: Seems like they are loosing money on that one after processing fees. I have changed mine online, and it wasn’t called a “processing fee” they explained it was to prove I was who I said I was.

19. tom2133 says:

Maybe these people shouldn’t vote in the first place if they are so uneducated to the process that they decide to vote online.

20. econobiker says:

But is the actual registration filled out by someone in India and then sent in?

21. cuiusquemodi says:

@noquarter: In Florida, at least, your party affiliation is on your voter registration card.

22. jd342 says:

There was a recent report from Philly.com about how at least 700 people called Pennsylvania’s election board wondering why their local polling places weren’t open on Super Tuesday. This would be a slap in the face of democracy if Pennsylvania’s primary wasn’t in April.

It’s not as bad as people paying to register, but it’s definitely in the same boat.

23. NoWin says:

Thank you, P.T. Barnum.

24. noquarter says:

@cuiusquemodi: It is where I am in MD, too. But I’m not sure if the card I have is the most recent card. I think I might have changed it and lost the new card or not gotten a new card, but I’m not sure.

25. Falconfire says:

@K-Bo and @barfoo: Yes but you can do it yourself with no verification at all for free via a letter to your post office, or even just walking in and handing them the form.

And they could always refund your card the dollar once they where positive it was you.

So you cant justify it by saying its to prevent people from mass changing addresses or to check your ID because there IS no ID check if you do it any other way but online.

@Git Em SteveDave: Last I looked the purpose of the post office was to deliver me my bills and letters, not spam me with coupons for services I would never use.

26. @Falconfire: I remeber getting a $10 coupon off for Lowes, as well as a guide about packing and moving. It was more of an informative thing, with some helpful coupons. Never received a single thing after that. Well, except for the coupons the Post Office delivers from advertisers along w/my mail. But they didn’t send it.

27. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Git Em SteveDave: Based on 99% of the people I have had the pleasure of meeting from the “Garden” state, that wording needed to be changed, because if you kept anyone defined as an “idiot or insane person” from voting, there would be what, 6 of you voting? Seven, eight?
    It’s like the stupid tax (the lottery?).

28. @doctor_cos: The funny thing is, it doesn’t matter if we vote in NJ. The people of the state voted against funding stem cell research, and Corzine said, “I don’t care, we’re funding it.” This from the same millionare who after not wearing his seatbelt, and getting hurt, donated tax payers money to that hospital in thanks. And I cancomplain b/c I didn’t vote for him, but at least I voted.

29. Mom2Talavera says:

@tom2133: They need to do us a favor and stay home on election day. This sounds like something out of the movie Idiocracy!