Become A DTV Deputy!

Howdy there partner, are you one of them DTV Deputies? No? The FCC thinks it’s high time you take the transition to digital television into your own hands. Because why pay for test trials in select communities when you can use early-90’s sound effects and cutting edge graphics to bait consumers into studying for a 13-question quiz?

And don’t just print out our certificate. We earned that through hard work. Brush up on your DTV transition facts and win the respect of friends and neighbors alike with a certificate of your own.

DTV Deputy Quiz [dtv.gov]

Comments

1. Jonbo298 says:

or if you’re just feeling extremely lazy

[www.dtv.gov]

2. thats the first thing I’ve passed since college

3. thirdbase says:

It’s the first thing I’ve ever failed in my entre life. I got a 62. Meaning I’m not qualified to teach you about HDTV. But I am expecting an administrative position to be offered to me shortly.

4. ClayS says:

I’ve this new thing called “cable television”, so this really isn’t an issue for me. Are there really that many people still tuning in to over the air TV broadcasting?

5. Rando says:
  6. DeltaPurser says:

Holy crap! That has got to be the worst designed websit of all time!!!

I fully expect the commissioner to have given the job of designing the site to his 12 year old kid, who used some website-out-of-a-box program to do it… Thanks for the chuckle!!!

7. homerjay says:

WTF? No badge??? What kind of deputy doesn’t have a star badge??!! I’m beginning to think this isn’t a real job at all. They didn’t even ask me for a W4 form! No no no… nothing about this adds up at all.

8. @ClayS: Yeah, those of us looking to pick up OTA HDTV.

9. @DeltaPurser: Notice how it makes use of the old Netscape favicon.ico?

10. lenagainster says:

Hey! I got 13 out of 13 and I’m not even a techno-nerd.

11. andonthatnote, JOC says:

Can I just say how amused I was that one of the choices for number 2 was “Dynamite Television”? Don’t you love how hip they are?

I got a 77. Now to go print off my certificate and proudly display it on my wall! :P

12. 12/13-Did I just become Windows 3.1-certified?

13. @BayStateDarren:

noes, I think we are y2k-proof’d

14. @discounteggroll: I’m printing the certificate out on my dot matrix Packard Bell printer right now.

15. ooh, try to save the perforated edges if you can…I love making accordian snakes out of those things

16. mine rules

[i26.tinypic.com]

17. swalve says:

“Because why pay for test trials in select communities when you can use early-90’s sound effects and cutting edge graphics to bait consumers into studying for a 13-question quiz?”

What do you mean by this? DTV is on the air now, has been for years.

18. MYarms says:

I passed it on the first try unlike most other quizzes I take. Pretty good for guessing at every question.

19. BugMeNot2 says:

Did anyone notice the 90s clipart? I guess no one at the FCC has heard of a mp3 player / dap or a cordless phone that isn’t the size of a shoe.

[img218.imageshack.us]

20. The Cynical Librarian says:

I’m hanging that crap up at work!
    Your tax dollars at work.

21. madanthony says:

This will look great on my cube wall next to my Apple certified helpdesk specialist and Apple certified desktop and portable technician certificates.

22. @madanthony:

ive got my ACPT and ACDT, but my helpdesk cert (now changed to macintosh technician) says “pending”. Any ideas on how to get that to complete?

23. forgottenpassword says:

JUST send me my damn coupons already & point me in the direction of an actual retailer that F*CKIN’ SELLS THE CONVERTERS!!!!!

Stupid idiotic test (I got a 92 …. missed one question).

WHERE”S MY COUPONS ALREADY!!!!!!

24. Buran says:

@forgottenpassword: Uh, you did read, when you applied for them, that they won’t be sent out until like March?

25. forgottenpassword says:

@Buran:

I applied over the phone. They made no mention of when they would be sent out, just gave me a confirmation number. It was an automated system.

26. everclear75 says:

I put up my certificate here @ work. I work in a TV master control facility, so I’m getting a kick out of these replies… The whole thing is really retarded. I can’t wait to see their booth @ NAB this year.

//oops, wrong website.

27. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

What? Don’t I get a secret decoder ring? This is the silliest campaign since the FCC came out with their “Broadband” mascot and their FCC “kids’ page.”

[www.fcc.gov]

28. skatanic says:

Woot 12 out of 13. Not bad i would say for not studying and just using common sense.

29. tk427 says:

How long before some fool (er, non-attention-oriented person) tries to use this to get a discount on a converter?

30. kenposan says:

that was stupid. got an 85, misread one question. ththththtbbbthhth

31. ludwigk says:

I read #12, and said out loud:

I know the answer is ‘false’, but I think they’ll think its true.

Then I clicked True, and it was like ‘False!’ Didn’t miss any others, but then again, my company makes digital tuners, so its kind of my job to know. I’m going to hang that “DTV Deputy” certificate on my wall in my office!

32. mamacat49 says:

wish I had a place to hang my certificate……..

33. DeltaPurser says:

@Papa Midnight: Oh, boy… I just noticed that. Priceless! On a positive note, at least they aren’t wasting our tax money on web design, right?!

34. DeltaPurser says:

@BayStateDarren: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

35. LAGirl says:

woo hoo!!! i scored 13/13, suckers! yeah, that’s right! there’s a new DTV Deputy in town. and her name is LAGirl!

36. Buran says:

@forgottenpassword: Aha. Sheesh. The website at least tells you.

37. skatanic says:

@forgottenpassword: I competely agree. I am seeing PSA everywhere about the switch but no one sells the damn converters.

38. @DeltaPurser: @Papa Midnight: Yeah, I’ve noticed that before too. Its a tragedy of a website, is what it is. I’m ashamed as an American and as a web designer that our government web sites look like this!

A much better website about the DTV Transition is [www.dtvtransition.org] It is quite obvioulsy not affiliated with the FCC. My favorite thing is that they have an easily accessable “En español” version of the site! Hmm, I guess the FCC didn’t consider that there may be a few non-English speaking people who may need to know about DTV.

39. n/a says:

whoo hoo now i can arrest citizens cause im a deputized DTV deputy, look out osama there is a new deputy in town.

40. vliam says:

You can’t even enter a name on the stupid thing. Worthless.

I was hoping to be known as I.P. Freely, DTV Deputy.

41. NotATool says:

Ha! 13/13 without studying!!

42. I’m going to put this on someone else’s wall at work ;)

43. Xerloq says:

I think this is the original website from the original conversion date nearly a decade ago. This would have been cutting edge then.

44. yelohbird says:

*sniff* the ol’ Windows 3.1 “tada.wav” just tears me up

45. Chols says:

can i put this on my resume?