Pick Up Some Haggling Tips At HowToHaggle.com

HowToHaggle.com is a short, easy-to-skim website devoted exclusively to the concept of haggling. It’s not the world’s most extensive resource, but the tips page lists 15 very good things to keep in mind the next time you want to score a better deal on a product.

Here are some sample tips:

• The one way you can really succeed in the world of haggling is to research prices beforehand. Go from store to store and compare prices, go online; check out auctions and whole seller prices – know what you are dealing with. This information is extremely essential as it does give you a firm backing.
  • Before you start to haggle, set a price for yourself – if this price is exceeded in the haggle battle, simply say ‘thank-you’ and walk away. Most of the times the vendor will come after you and agree on your price.
  • Keep your cool at all times. The second you become angry, you are no longer haggling but are arguing.
  • Point out any imperfections in the product – it will get you a lower price.
  • When the vendor quotes a high price, look at him in astonishment. For the most part he may feel that he has scared you and will back down on the price.

One thing we really like about the site is that reading everything on it takes about as long as skimming a pamphlet, so you can fit it in while you’re sitting there waiting for the guy who set up the stupid conference call to log on.

howtohaggle.com

Comments

1. jamar0303 says:

This is very handy for those traveling to Asia as well. Most shops in Asian countries expect haggling and will set a high opening price.

2. @jamar0303: Except on Ebay. How many items have I bought for $.01. Many.

3. davere says:

When I haggle in Asia I ask for their price. I then offer 50%. They say no, I keep offering 50%. They never agree. I walk out, they come get me, they agree to my 50%.

I figured that they wouldn’t sell it to me if they were not still making a profit out of me.

4. THINK_before_posting says:

Nice short and sweet website. I always follow almost these exact same steps. The only exception is a local furniture store that claims haggling is unfair to the people who don’t haggle therefore they refuse to participate. I was set to buy two recliners and a H/E washer and dryer that day. I left and found the washer and dryer elsewhere saving over about 20% with only about 10 minutes discussion. The recliners, unfortunately, were only available from that store therefore I went back and bought them for full price.
    I will never buy anything from that store again unless it is unavailable anywhere else. EVEN if the price is exactly the same.

5. wellfleet says:

Some good tips here. At BBY, I get people in playing “let’s make a deal” all the time. Doesn’t bother me. For one, I don’t make commission, I get to practice my negotiating skills, and really, nobody walks in saying “hey, rip me off!”

I like that the site stresses the importance of being nice. polite, and reasonable… Had a guy walk in the other day who said “OK, now what’s MY price?” I wanted to throw up on him. I gave him a price, he countered with $30 less (on $1500), I happily agreed because he was a douche, then I asked if he was using our financing or getting a service plan. He asked how much more money I would take off.

Here’s the deal: discounting any item at BBY with the express agreement that the customer buy the warranty is called inboarding and is a really great way to get fired. Also, it costs me lots of money to finance him at 18-months no interest. It would have been a good sale, I knew I quoted him a more than fair price, was personable, and that he wouldn’t get a better deal at Lowe’s or Depot. He started to walk and I let him.

We frequently let people walk when it would SAVE us money to keep the product in the warehouse. I’m not about to PAY him to take a product that’s not even in my store. The sad part is that I know I would give him 10 times better service if anything went wrong with his stuff. Oh well.

6. Eric1285 says:

@davere: 50%? That’s way too high in Asia. Typically, I pay no more than 20-25% of asking price and my first counter-offer is usually 10 of whatever they ask.

7. justrick says:

I can’t hear the word “haggle” without thinking of “Monty Python’s Life of Brian.”

“No, no, you’ve got to haggle. ’10 for this, you must be mad!’”

8. It’s called “negotiating,” or “bargaining.”

Haggling sounds so, well, cheap and tacky.

In Asia, start at 20%. They mark you as an American who doesn’t comes from a bargaining culture if you start at half.

9. Caroofikus says:

I like to use a 25% rule – I always start 25% lower than what I’m willing to pay.

10. Megladon says:

@davere:

The 50% is still waaaay to high. I’m living in China now and we’ve adopted the 10% rule where unless they come out with “their best price” and it really is about what we were expecting to pay, we offer them 10% of their origonal offer. Normaly you can get it for about 20% of the first offer, high end is about 25% on most items (not all). And here you can haggle on just about anything except taxi cabs with meters, the ones that dont use a meter are just scamers. I’ve haggled on the price of a chicken before, veggies and lots of other things. When it comes down to it pulling out how much your willing to pay and telling them its either this much or i’m walking away, every time i’ve gotten them to take the cash.

My biggest score i never bought was i was at the silk market, asked the price of a rather large jade item maybe 2′ across, 16″ tall, multi colored. I asked the price, she said 1600rmb, only wondering what it was they were looking for, quickly looked over the rest of the items in the small shop and started to walk out. Apparently she thought i was using some standoffish haggling or something, and as i’m 4-5 steps outside of her store she says “ok 400rmb”. Right then i froze in my tracks, perfectly aware she was talking to me, and contimplating actuly buying it thinking to myself, she just cut the price down to 25%, how much lower could i get this? Because i was not even considering really buying the item, and had never thrown out a price of my own, i told her i would need to think about it.
    PS: shipping the thing home would be a nightmare.

11. pestie says:

@PotKettleBlack: 20% off the initial asking price, or 20% of the initial asking price?

12. @pestie: In Asia, 20% of the initial asking price.
    They will look at you like you are nuts.

You will respond by neg’ing the product (Well, I dunno that I need it or That’s one of the worst rolex fakes I’ve ever seen) or by suggesting you could have bought it at “Tourist trap night market Y” (you are at “tourist Trap Night Market X” while having this conversation), last night, but thought you could do a little better on the price.

They will NOT be offended by any of this. The more creative your neg, the better you will do.

You and your partner/rival with do the negotiation dance. In all likelihood, you will wind up with it for 50% of the initial asking price. He will tell you about you starving his kids. You might suggest that no one told him to have kids.

At the end of the night, you will have your item at a price you hopefully won’t have buyer’s remorse over, and he will drive home to the suburbs in his BMW 3 series or Mini Lexus. They love those little cars over there.

13. banmojo says:

Haggling? Is that like trying to go out to night clubs and pick up hags or something?

14. tekmiester says:

the website domain is expired now…