Video Professor Stops Suing People For Having Opinions It Doesn't Like

The Consumer Law & Policy Blog reports:

Colorado infomercial company Video Professor this week dismissed its lawsuit against 100 anonymous defendants who had posted critical comments about its products and billing practices online. Earlier this month, the company withdrew subpoenas that had sought the identity of anonymous posters on the website infomercialscams.com.

Yay. The bums will always lose, Lebowski. Get a job, sir. Stop pestering people on the internet.

Video Professor Drops Lawsuit Against Anonymous Critics [CL&P]

Comments

1. humphrmi says:

Now if only they would stop behaving in a fashion that started the complaints to begin with…

[www.infomercialscams.com]

2. ptkdude says:

They should produce a CD-ROM that teaches you how not to get taken in by this sort of thing.

3. I did the Excel. It was fun.

4. PenguinBlue says:

Try my PRAHduct.

5. Shadowfire says:

Counter-suit..?

6. mantari says:

HOW DO I INTERNETS?

7. scampy says:

Good, this guy is scum

8. Bay State Darren says:

“The bums will always lose, Lebowski.”

I only wish this were true, (Sigh).

9. RvLeshrac says:

I agree that the lawsuit is crap, and the ‘lessons’ are worthless….

But VP uses the same tactics as the “Buy 12 CDs for $0.01!” companies. It is nothing new, and not illegal… scummy? Sure. Scam? Not necessarily.

10. Manok says:

I was just reading some of the posts on infomercialscams.com talk about a bunch of rubes. They deserved to be scammed by these clowns. lol.

11. scampy says:

@RvLeshrac:

The reason these discs are a scam isnt because they suck, its because people fall for the order a free lesson (for only $9.95 shipping for a CD)and then they get sent additional discs they didnt want that are billed to their credit card. Its like a subscription but they dont tell people that when they sign up

12. LatherRinseRepeat says:

These Video Professor things suck. I recommend absolute beginners take a Computer 101 class at their local community college. If no classes are available, ask friends/relatives if they know anyone that would be willing to teach/tutor for a modest fee.

And yes, stay away from “free” offers that require a credit card number.

13. DallasDMD says:

@Manok: Why would people deserve to be scammed? That is like saying people deserve to be robbed, raped, or burglarized.

14. humphrmi says:

@Manok: Sure, some of these folks on infomercialscams aren’t exactly at the top of their consumerist game. But should we accept scammers just because they target the intellectually lean?

15. Manok says:

poor choice of words on my part. No one deserves to be scammed but it’s hard to feel sorry for people when they pay for obvious scams with debit cards.

16. Zombietime says:

What do I have to do to put you in this car today?

:huckster:

17. Allen Harkleroad says:

Funny thing regarding Video Professor. I publish and online Graphic Design Magazine and on Monday someone from Video Professor called and were interested in some of our tutorials.

Being that VP ripped my wife off (before were married) and it took me two months to untangle it and sort it out, I wasn’t too happy with Video Professor.

I hate to admit it but I lost my business professionalism and used very colorful words to describe to the woman what portion of my anatomy that the Video Professor could stick in his mouth.

18. jamar0303 says:

@Zombietime: Oh, the possibilities… (my mind is in the gutter today)

19. homerjay says:

@TheBigFlicker: Too bad you couldn’t put them off until you could figure out a way to enact a little revenge.

20. chartrule says:

ugg what a fugly company this video professor is

21. Allen Harkleroad says:

@HomerJay,
    Yeah it would have been, however I was in the middle of dealing with something of a serious nature when they called, soon as I heard the words “video professor” my mind went on autopilot will my tongue went crazy (LOL). It was one of those days you really didn’t want to be bother, must less form the VP morons.

22. Andrew says:

God, I hate those commercials… almost as bad as the “headonApplyDirectlyToTheForheadHeadonApplyDirectlyToTheForhead”
    commercials.

Folks. If you want to learn how to use a computer, read a book! There are thousands of books out there! The “For Dummies” line is usually excellent. Plus there are thousands of help forums out there, like http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums

23. gmark2000 says:

Can you find these CD-Roms on torrent sites?

24. homerjay says:

@gmark2000: Why would you want to?

25. Allen Harkleroad says:

LOL, Really. 6 year old kids could do a better job producing how-to DVD’s than Video Professor does. Many of the VP DVD’s are outdated. Learn FrontPage for crying out loud.

26. SacraBos says:

@Zombietime: I had a car salesman like that. Couldn’t answer a single question, but could sure ask that one in a variety of ways. We left, even though it was a vehicle we actaully were considering buying.

27. CumaeanSibyl says:

@homerjay: Same reason some people love watching bad movies.

28. ShortBus says:

A bit of insider information… VP averages more than 200 orders a day for their crap. A while ago they were actually selling more than 600 per day.

29. zibby says:

I hate this company primarily because of that slobbering idiot in their commercials…you know, “My 3 year old can use a computer better than me!” I will say that did find someone for whom such a claim is plausible.

30. Mayor McRib says:

@TheBigFlicker:
    You should have charged the Video Professor a free introductory rate plus shipping for your first tutorial and then continued to debit his account each month for $89.95. You could have screwed him in the fine print of the contract to leave a nice taste in his mouth.

31. m4ximusprim3 says:

@TheBigFlicker: I would totally have sent them a photoshop tutorial on how to put VP’s face on a DVDA pic.

Cause that way, you know, you can retain your professional phone demeanor :)

32. yetiwisdom says:

There was a story a couple of years back where the Video professor was quoted as saying something to the effect of “I don’t know anything about computers.” What an endorsement!

33. RvLeshrac says:

@scampy:

They do. People fail to read the fine print or listen.

I know, beause people fail to listen all the time when you tell them a service plan won’t cover something, then call it a ‘scam’ when the plan they’ve purchased won’t cover exactly what they were told it wouldn’t cover.

34. sventurata says:

Particularly vengeful profs I’ve had would love to sue anyone who disagreed with them… precedent, anyone?