What To Look For In A Pillow Protector

Do you spend the nights fighting allergies and biting your pillow in agony? Wait, that sentence didn’t come out right. Anyway, the vice president of a custom-printing pillow company tells Newsday what he looks for in a good pillow cover.

The protector should be made with a fabric that is breathable, stays cool and quiet (older ones typically made from plastic crackled when you put your head down on the pillow), is naturally mildew- and stain-resistant and easy to launder.

The best pillow protectors have air filtration built into the fabric. This is a different technology — not used in the majority of protectors — that actually traps the allergens in the protector so you never have to be face to face with the harmful critters.

My pick: The FabricTech 2000 PillowBarrier (retails for $19.95 at Sleepy’s mattress stores).

He also says you can try an anti-allergy spray: “A good organic one is Mite-NIX Organic Allergy Relief Spray (Drugstore.com, $7.99 for 16 ounces).”

“Shopping for a pillow protector” [Newsday]
(Photo: piccadillywilson)

Comments

1. SloNoozDey says:

I think the bigger point to this article is that Western Civilization has officially lost site of its priorities. Well done!!

2. T. says:

i ain’t no pillow biter.

3. homerjay says:

I’ve been trying to choose the right pillow protector for years now. Thank you Newsday! You’re a lifesaver!

4. missdona says:

I know, you mock, yet…

I suffered from some crazy eye allergies over the summer and it turns out my pillow protector was inadvertently removed from my pillow, releasing god-knows-what kind of dust mites into my face, bed, house etc.

I had to replace my very comfy well-broken-in pillow with a new allergy proof one along with a new allergy proof cover.

And my crazy eye allergies miraculously went away.

I wish my crazy eye allergies on no one.

5. Parting says:

@missdona: For most people, special pillow protectors aren’t a necessity. Just washing regularly your bedding does the job.

If there is no allergies, then it’s an unnecessary expense.

However, for people with allergies, they are an additional, medication-free, helper.

6. crazylady says:

@SloNoozDey: for people who suffer from allergies, this only helps. losing sight of priorities? how so? it’s nice to have recommendations for such products given the plethora of products out there to choose from.

7. HRHKingFriday says:

@missdona: I have eye allergies as well, and pillow protectors do wonders for me. I mean, you’re planting your face on a surface for almost a third of every day, of course it’ll make a difference.

8. SkyeBlue says:

Until I got allergy covers for both my mattress and my pillows everytime I would sit on or lie down on my bed I would start coughing and my eyes would begin itching. They have been a big help to me.

9. Trai_Dep says:

Heh. “Pillow Biter”.

Sigh, brings me back to the halcyon days of summer camp.

Oh, wait. Did I reveal too much?

10. Bryan Price says:

The only protector I need is to make sure that the down stays in the pillow. My main pillow is only 47 years old now. I watched my mother’s friend make it for me, as she was making new pillows for her family and ours. I even have my dad’s pillow now.

11. missdona says:

@Bryan Price: My down pillow was a good 25 years old. I *loved* it, until I developed the allergies.