You People Are Buying A Lot Of Champagne

Americans have gone crazy for champagne, says USAToday.

Not since the buying frenzy of 1999, when people bought champagne in bulk to ring in the millennium, have U.S. champagne and sparkling wine sales been so high. Volume for 2007 is expected to hit 900 million glasses, up 4% over 2006, says the 2007 Impact Annual Wine Study.

“Americans are developing a taste for champagne and sparkling wine — slowly, but it’s growing,” says Frank Walters, director of research.

There is speculations that Americans are starting to drink champagne just because they like it, and not necessarily because they have something to celebrate.

Are you kicking back after work with a glass of fizz?

Consumers get bubbly about champagne sales [USAToday]
(Photo:Getty)

Comments

1. DrGirlfriend says:

Or, we all think we’re supermodels getting drunk on champagne before, during, and after a fashion show.

2. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

What? And give up my Boone’s Farm? I don’t think so!

3. KJones says:

People bought champagne for the “Millennium party” in 1999, showing that they couldn’t count and were a year off.

People are buying champagne for the “Bush retirement party” in 2007, showing that they still can’t count and are a year off again.

4. Trae says:

I still only buy it for New Years and the occasional other celebration.

Of course, I still only get a cheap $4 bottle of Andre (the Brut… even their Extra Dry is too sweet)

5. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Chin-chin!

6. kantwait says:

@DrGirlfriend: Dude, champagne has way too much sugar/calories. If you’re an actual model, you avoid that shit like the plague. Not to mention that the carbonation causes bloating.

7. Smackdown says:

My mom, my friends and I all drink relatively inexpensive sparkling wine just because we enjoy it.

It’s good! Fizzy wine! If you can hack the headaches, that is.

8. DrGirlfriend says:

@kantwait: Unfortunately, they do have a reputation of getting smashed on champagne.

9. hn333 says:

Jay-Z is going to be Pissed.

10. timmus says:

Champagne = 21-29 calories/ounce
    Table wine = 18-20 calories/ounce
    Source: [wines.com]

Doesn’t sound THAT bad. Looks like the liqueurs are where the serious damage is.

11. madanthony says:

@timmus

but if you are drinking wine, you are drinking a whole lot more ounces than if you are drinking liquor – the usual measure of one serving is 5 ounces of wine vs 2 ounces of liquor.

Then again, if you are mixing that liquor with coke or juice, you are adding even more calories

12. kantwait says:

I just can’t imagine drinking before a show; runways are 3 feet high and if you slip, you’re definitely going to take a hard fall.

13. TSS says:

Nothing better than a mimosa at a Sunday Brunch. And cheap champagne tastes just as good mixed with OJ as the pricey stuff does.

14. bohemian says:

So are they talking real champagne or any sparkling wine? Things that are not technically champagne are pretty cheap.

I have had too many really awful cheap champagnes or sparkling wines. The club we were at last New Years passed out some of the worst “champagne” I have ever had in my life. It tasted like a can and vinegar.

15. no.no.notorious says:

…yuck

16. SOhp101 says:

@bohemian: Champagne is sparkling wine that comes from the region of Champagne, France. Anything else is ‘just’ sparkling wine.

There’s plenty of sparkling wines that are just as good as Champagne.

17. floydianslip6 says:

I can dig it.

18. STrRedWolf says:

After considering our lovely President… you’d drink anything alcoholic too.

19. rmeehan17 says:

eh. I like a good beer just fine.

20. oneswellfoop says:

@SOHP101

Actually, there are a TON of sparkling wines better than champange. The people who grow chanpagne grapes get paid more per ton than any other growers in any other region of the world. Most of them grow and then sell to grand houses like Veuve Clicquot and Perrier-Jouët, and they get paid anyway, so why put any extra effort into growing them for quality.
    There is a growing market for grower’s champagne. Grower’s champagne is composed of grapes grown on one estate, the estate of the person who harvests, ferments, and bottles the stuff with their name on the bottle. They control quality directly and have a name that is not as “made” as the big houses on the label. Much more drive to bottle good stuff. You casn pick up a bottle of Rene Geoffroy Brut Rose for a little bit more than a bottle of Veuve Yellow Label, and significantly less than a bottle of Grand Dame, and it’ll will blow either one out of the water. Gaston Chiquet is another good one, and a quick google search should turn up many more that might save you a buck and be better.
    Champagne is not just for celebrating.

21. reykjavik says:

4% is enough to compare something to a frenzy?

If you get a 4% raise, do you consider that in line with inflation or has your boss gone crazy on an employee spending frenzy?

22. humphrmi says:

@ryan: Miller High Life, the Champaign of Beers! :)

23. elislider says:

or this is a stupid article because at 4% growth in something is meaningless

24. overbysara says:

mmmmmmmmmmmm bubbly

25. that’s because it’s delicious.

26. SOhp101 says:

@oneswellfoop: I don’t know what led you to believe that I thought different from your post, since my last sentence agrees completely with your feelings toward the stuff.

27. Busybyeski says:

seriously, 4%?

for every 25 bottles of champagne purchased in 2006, 26 were purchased in 2007? for every 25 bottles of champagne purchased in 2006, 1 more was purchased in 2007?

no big deal, no big trend. sounds like population growth, if anything.

28. snoop-blog says:

i like martini and rossi and ballatore. i know their the cheap, but they are so tasty!

29. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

For some reason this year I was givven 3 bottles of Champagne/sparkling wine. Thing is I don’t drink are my friends and family trying to tell me I need to drink….?