Worst Times To Fly Into The Top 10 Most Delayed Airports

Here are the worst times to fly into the top ten most delayed airports in America. If your flight plans bring you through one of these airports at one of these times, you may want to consider changing your itinerary.

10. Chicago (MDW) 10-11pm
9. New York (JFK) 7-8pm
8. Seattle (SEA) 10-11pm
7. Chicago (ORD) 8-9pm
6. Miami (MIA) 10-11pm
5. Atlanta (ATL) 9-10pm
4. Philadelphia (PHL) 7-8pm
3. New York (LGA) 7-9pm
2. San Francisco (SFO) 10-11pm
1. Newark (EWR) 5-6pm

[via AvoidDelays]
(Photo: mkinne)

Comments

1. just_paranoid says:

a list i’m glad my state didn’t make it in.

2. sleze69 says:

Too bad this wasn’t posted yesterday. I am at the airport, delayed flying back home to Philadelphia. Wonderful.

3. Sndtrkman says:

Of course OHare and Midway are on there, they are notorious for being delayed in Chicago.

4. Snakeophelia says:

I live in Philly, and we DROVE to South Carolina today for the holidays. It was worth it not to deal with the hassle of flying at this time of year – or the hassle of flying out of Philly any time of year.

5. missdona says:

Notice that they’re all late afternoon-evening. Fly as early in the day as you can to minimize delays.

6. synergy says:

There must be a lot of people flying late in the day, but I never see them. I try to catch 6 or 7AM flights so by the time flights start getting backed up I’m already where I need to be. Getting somewhere after 1PM annoys me.

7. Youthier says:

Oh my Lord, the late flight into Midway is terrible. I prefer Midway to O’Hare but damn… if you don’t get in before 9pm, it’s horrible.

8. BadCall says:

After flying constantly this past summer, I can assure you that night flights to and from LGA will be delayed at least an hour and always because of weather. Guaranteed.

9. SteveBMD says:

@HeyHermano: I agree. Midway’s a nice airport in a great city, but if you arrive there late, it’s as if you’re landing in the middle of nowhere. Nobody’s around, it’s quiet, desolate, almost spooky.

10. gman863 says:

My best luck has always been flying in/out of the secondary airport in a major city.

Houston? Choose a flight on Southwest, which avoids Bush Intercontiental in favor of less crowded Hobby.

Miami? Try Ft. Lauderdale. LA? Burbank instead.

An area’s smaller airport has fewer flights taking off and landing, resulting in fewer delays caused by dozens of flights attempting to take off and land within minutes of each other. In addition, you usually save time with shorter check-in/security lines and closer parking.

11. jamar0303 says:

I always flew out of Ontario, CA instead of LAX- saved driving time and check-in time. Flying Southwest was fun too.

12. Ecoaster says:

Early in the day is good advice for avoiding delays (assuming no weather-related stuff is involved). If you want to avoid long lines at the checkpoints, find out when the heavy departure blocks are at your airport and avoid them if you can.

13. gennessee says:

Arrive: Philadelphia International Airport, PA (PHL) 7:41 PM

Oops.

14. rjhiggins says:

Flying early is the obvious advice, but from the west coast you often don’t have a lot of options given the time difference. If you leave here at 7 a.m., and have to make a connection, you’re likely reaching the east coast in the evening.

And advice like “Avoid Philadelphia” or “Avoid Chicago” isn’t real helpful if that’s where you live, or where your work takes you.

15. JerseyJarhead says:

SEWARK, NEW JERSEY. We are #1 baby!!