Meat Sold In Bulk To Retailers And Distributors Recalled For e. Coli

Meat processed by American Foods Group of Green Bay, WI has been recalled following an investigation by the Illinois Department of Health. The meat was sold in bulk quantities to retailers and distributors and may not be easily identifiable to consumers, says the USDA:

The products subject to recall were distributed for further processing and repackaging and will not bear the recalling firm’s establishment number on the package. As the use-by date for products subject to this recall may have expired, consumers can contact their retailers to ask if they received any of these products and if so, consumers are urged to look in their freezers for these products and return or discard them if found.

The ground beef products subject to recall were produced on Oct. 10, 2007, and were distributed to retail establishments and distributors in Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Virginia.

The symptoms of e. coli include severe bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps. If you’ve eaten ground beef in the past few days and are experiencing these symptoms, you should should contact your doctor right away. It might also be good idea to cook all of your hamburger to at least 160 degrees, considering the lack of detail provided in this recall.

Wisconsin Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products due to Possible E. Coli O157:H7 Contamination [USDA]
(Photo:rick)

Comments

1. savvy999 says:

The meat packers must’ve been too busy watching the Packers. Give ‘em a break.

2. bohemian says:

It couldn’t get more vague. So what kind of bulk packaging are we talking about? Did this go to restaurants, grocery stores? It is hard to tell if this is the generic tubes or CO2 packs or something else. Two of our local grocery stores swear the stuff in the case and any ground beef that is in the shallow foam tray with just plastic wrap and a meat dept label is ground there. Unless you see them grinding it is there even a way to tell?

3. DojiStar says:

WTF!!!

If it ain’t the Chinese trying to kill us with the lead, its the cheeseheads trying to kill us with the E.coli.

4. sixninezero says:

Just one more reason to know where your food comes from. Buy locally and this is rarely an issue.

5. ExVee says:

I’m gonna go eat some more meatloaf, made last night with the ground beef we bought about a month ago (and then froze, of course) here in Tennessee…

6. timmus says:

I’ve got the next good Consumerist tag:

AMERICAN E. COLI POISON TRAIN

Sound good?

7. Omi says:

Current status of meat in America: BEWARE ALL GROUND BEEF.

Oh come on! This is just ridiculous now.

8. Sidecutter says:

Meh. Cook your freaking food and you’ll be fine…nothing to see here except a warning to use common sense.

9. ExVee says:

Except that common sense isn’t.

I cooked my meatloaf to 170 degrees (a probe meat thermometer is about the best gift you can give someone who cooks very much, by the way), so I’m not worried. And somehow, I think the tag should be “E. COLI WAGON TRAIN”, but that’s just me.

10. @ExVee: Yeah, E. Coli Poison sounds like it’s something that will poison E. Coli, and thus is good for you. Almost a double negative. Like Wal*Marts commitment to the local community.

11. mthrndr says:

Every time I see the word E.Coli I think of that Ricola commercial: “E.Coli!!!!…..E.Coli!!!!!” Enjoy.

12. @mthrndr: Does the guy in your commercial cough up blood and vomit while trying to blow his horn?

13. @mthrndr: I have the same problem when I hear the name “Rodham”, as in formally Hillary Rodham Clinton. I always think of Rodan from the old Godzilla movies. Then I picture Hillary stomping through downtown Tokyo.

14. joeymvanostrand says:

The easiest solution to the tainted meat issue is to cook any signs of life out of it. If you want true food safety, never store ANY raw meat (fish, poultry, red meat..etc, even eggs!) above 40 degrees, and cook the meats until the internal temp. reads 170 degrees on a GOOD meat thermometer. Also, ALWAYS store raw meats in the lowest part of the fridge, tightly wrapped. Need anymore food safety advice? email me – joeymvanostrand@hotmail.com