Target is testing sales of used electronics on its website to move returned items that are in “perfect working order”—mostly iPods and HDTVs right now. [Reuters]

(Photo: tonystl)

Comments

1. chili_dog says:

Used electronics is a huge market. My business model is based on it. The only difference is that people don’t understand it yet, having been told for so many years it had to be new in box to be “acceptable”.

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

So, do they test the returns, or just take the word of Joe and Jill Six-Pack that “We never touched it, honest”?

3. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

OK, I RTFA. I suppose their quality of refurbishment is as good as the inspector. I don’t mind properly inspected refurbished goods, and have had good luck with them overall, but there are some things I would not accept refurb unless they were certified to be “never used.”

4. Buran says:

How long before someone buys a box of rocks?

5. Sudonum says:

Circuit City has been doing this for ages with items on eBay. Their store is called “Trading Circuit”. I’ve snagged some good bargains there.

6. edrebber says:

Only items that target doesn’t feel can be resealed and sold again as new would be sold as used.

7. goller321 says:

I looked at their website and was underwhelmed with their prices. Just like everyone else- they think they should get a premium for their used crap. For example, they have a 47″ Toshiba LCD for $2150… looking around the web, I saw several listing around $1799- one of those was a new model for that price. I saw as low as $1399 for the same refurb on another site. If I’m buying refurb, I’d better be getting a deal on it!

8. glass says:

Those prices are awful. You’ll get better prices on NewEgg or TigerDirect. For new products. Let’s not forget that the Apple Store has excellent prices on their own refurbished iPods and other products. I’d rather buy from Apple if I’m going to roll the dice.

Also, for their used console section, they show a PS3 and a 360. When you click, there’s only a GameCube. WTH? They shold sell it with some Jack Johnson.

9. glass says:

Crap prices. You’ll get better prices on NewEgg or TigerDirect. Or the Apple Store for that matter. If I’m going to roll the dice, I’d rather go direct through Apple.

Also, under the used console section, they show a PS3 and a 360. What are they selling? A used Game Cube. Anyone here like Jack Johnson?

10. Used Electronics + Craigslist = MUCH better deals.

11. frankblevins says:

I also looked at their website and there are very few items to even consider buying.

12. theblackdog says:

@Sudonum: I’ve gotten some great deals when I just need a part out of another product, such as a cradle for my satellite radio.

13. shch says:

I work at a cell phone store and we sell trade-in or unwanted phones, chargers, accessories, etc. You would not believe the amount of people who save themselves a HUGE amount buying a phone used for 5 or 6 days then returned, rather than paying the full retail price and/or extending their contract. People are normally very greatful for this option. I think used/refurbished electronics are an awesome way to bring higher end gadgets to those that may be unable to afford the full cost of these, and also a much better option than a 2 year contract for mobile users wanting a new handset.

14. GearheadGeek says:

…er… One of their current “deals” is a 4gb 1st-gen Nano for $169. On Apple’s site a brand new 4gb 2nd-gen nano is $149. I guess there’s some sucker who’ll buy it from Target, maybe because they have a Target card.

15. LionelEHutz says:

@Buran: Apparently you can get the box of rocks when buying new. There was a story about that posted on Consumerist this year.

16. Buran says:

@LionelEHutz: Yeah, that was the joke.

17. deserthiker says:

@LionelEHutz:

A box of rocks? Perfect! That’s just what I want to get my kids this Xmas.

18. goller321 says:

@shch: No one is saying used electronics are a bad idea, but Target is charging more than retail and attempting to trick people into buying at this price by saying it’s a “deal.” People need to be more savy, but this is also scummy of Target.