Why Do You Hate The Dollar Coin?

Our beloved U.S. Mint has apparently redesigned the dollar coin to feature a rotating slate of Presidents. Each President gets a three-month stint on the coin. On Thursday, James Madison, our 4th Chief Executive, took his rightful place on the golden slab – but nobody seemed to care. Why?

The Mint wants the rotating Presidents to be as successful as the rotating state quarters; the hope is that changing the design will keep a hypnotized public coming back to see which President dies next. Signs this strategy is failing: we just now noticed the new coins, and the Mint is already on the fourth redesign.

Moy told The Associated Press the number of dollar coins ordered in the first eight months of the program totals 810 million.

But, he said there are continuing problems in persuading the public and retailers to put the coins into circulation. Moy said banks don’t realize that if they run out, they can order more coins from the Federal Reserve.

We would put up a poll asking why you hate the dollar coin, but honestly, we don’t even know where to begin. Is it because coins are heavy and useless? Because street vendors give you a dirty look when you use it to pay for a coke? Perhaps the idea that the dollar can be replaced by a mere coin, literal pocket change, is simply too offensive? What is it? Tell us in the comments.

U.S. Mint To Unveil Madison Dollar Coin [WDSU]

Comments

1. NickRB says:

I love the dollar coin. The reason I love it, is because the dollar bill costs more than $1 to keep in circulation. How crazy is that?! The dollar coin will last for decades, but the dollar bill typically can’t make it much more than a year, before it must be destroyed and reissued. We will eventually switch to a dollar coin.

2. wring says:

if more vending machines took a dollar coin, im sure it will be popular. really, people are only interested in coins that can be used, thus making the quarter king.

3. JKinNYC says:

Because they’re heavy, take up too much space in my pocket and how exactly am I supposed to get that thing in a strippers g-string (Hygienically at least).

Seriously, dollar coins would be ok if there were either a) abundant two-dollar bills
    or
    b) two-dollar coins.

Getting four onsies as change weighs a ton in your pocket.

4. JKinNYC says:

@wring: Vending machines DO take them all over the place. Well, at least here. Soda machines, snack machines, and even subway machines take them.

5. louisb3 says:

Because they made James Madison look like a zombie, and the Mint perpetually fails to make the dollar coin easily distinguishable from the quarter.

6. JKinNYC says:

Bills weigh less than 1 gram. The coins are officially 8.1 grams. $56 in coins is a pound, where it takes $454 in paper money.

7. bnpederson says:

Man, I don’t even keep pocket change on me, I dump it in a large tin on my desk and eventually turn it into real money. Dollar coins’d just be lost in the shuffle with the quarters and pennies whereas the bills fit nicely in my wallet, light and not-so-durable.

I mean, they’re great for Ren Fairs when you want to walk around with a bulging sack of gold-like coins, but other than that? Dollar bills are the way I go.

8. wring says:

@JKinNYC: ic, not so much around where I live.

9. nysports says:

@louisb3: Ha ha…he does look like a zombie!

The answer is easy…who likes carrying change…no one. i don’t even like carrying paper money. Credit and debit card baby!

10. nweaver says:

They aren’t that heavy. The problem is they aren’t RECOGNIZEABLE. the “golden” color tarnishes quickly, and in a pile of quarters it looks too much like a pile of quarters, and in a pocket of quarters it feels too much like a quarter. Probelms with the Susan B, and problems which remain because they decided to make the new dollar coin mechanically equivelent to the 1979 turd.

Look at the Euro on how to do a 1 euro and 2 euro coin well.

11. Rando says:

I hate the dollar coin because my laundry machine will not take it.

12. Britt says:

I love the dollar coin. It makes visiting the States feel more like home (Canada).

13. jaredgood1 says:

@nysports: Yep. Plus, by not carrying cash, I don’t have to lie to bums by saying I don’t have any change.

14. el_gordo says:

@nweaver: Or, for that matter, Canada’s loonie and twonie.

Canadians were using all of these same arguments in the late 80s when we switched to dollar coins. But as soon as they were widely distributed the change (pun!) turned out very successful, and a few years later the two-dollar coin was introduced.

@bnpederson: I do the same thing with my heavy pockets of change. Just imagine how much more valuable your little savings tin will become! They other day I rolled a small jar of the remnants of “broken bills” and wound up with nearly $200.

It was like free money I tell ya.

15. Kezzerxir says:

They should make them rings. That might peek peoples interest. Making them lighter as well, and would make them easier to stack also. When you get mugged in the street all your rings will go flying out, thereby distracting the mugger. Anyone else getting at what I’m saying here.

16. harleymcc says:

The Loonie and Toonie rule!

One day I went thru the coach (sofa)in our company media lounge and found over $80 in change!

That coach pays for lunch more times than I’ll admit.

17. Beschizza says:

It’s just badly designed.

Comparison between the UK Pound coin and the US Dollar coin is instructive. They look quite similar, but the former has a much weightier, well-cut look, while the latter kind of looks like an arcade token.

18. ptkdude says:

@NickRB: I’m with NickRB. I like the dollar coin. People complain that vending machines don’t take them. Well, the vending industry very quickly put dollar bill validators on their machines and didn’t bitch about that; what’s the difference? People say they look too much like a quarter. Personally, I’m not retarded and can tell the difference between silver and gold coloring, as well as the design on the front and the back. I have tons of dollar coins, and have never had one tarnish and become indistinguishable in color from a quarter. As for visually impaired people, both the Sacagawea and the presidential dollar coins have smooth edges, whilst the quarter is reeded; they can feel the difference. I do think we need to ditch the dollar bill, and either increase circulation of the $2 or ditch that and use a $2 coin. It is too expensive to continue to use $1 bills, and it’s only going to get worse. And to everyone who will bitch about us not honoring George Washington if we get rid of the $1 bill I say “he’s on the quarter”.

19. dirtymoney says:

I personally LOVE the golden dollar coins! I used to give them as tips before I replaced cash with my credit card. I think our monetary system needs a bit of a shakeup…. get rid of the dollar bill & replace it with the golden dollars!
    I REALLY like the idea because people would start losing them like they do quarters! And as a person who’s hobby is metal detecting…. my hobby would be a lot more fun if I were finding golden dollars like I find quarters. I have already found perhaps 20 dollar coins since they first came out (probably lost by kids whose parents gave to them for the novelty aspect.*shrug*

I always carry one around with me as a flipping or knuckle-rolling coin. :)

20. Scuba Steve says:

I hate them. I hate them because I have no where to put them,. Leather wallet? Not a farking chance. Pockets? Hey cool, I just lost a Dollar by sitting down. Multiply by 5.

Like hell I’m gonna carry a change purse.

21. Boy Howdy says:

@Kezzerxir: I think so, but in order for that distraction to be effective, you’d have to be able to run very, very fast.

And maybe be blue.

22. zingbot says:

I don’t hate it at all, and use it frequently. I am one person, though, in a country that can’t handle change.

23. Usama says:

I love the dollar coin. Coins last longer and cost less in the long run (as you don’t need to constantly take in old bills and burn and print new ones). Coins are environment friendly. It is much easier to clean coins at home (money is a great way for germs to invade your house!).

Of course they weigh so much more and you can’t really carry them in a wallet. However I usually don’t care more than 5 or 6 singles at a time so I think I can deal with 5 or 6 coins.

Maybe the coins won’t get rid of dollar bills, but I do think it should help to reduce the need for them. If only vending machines and older machines had a simple way to add a dollar coin accepting part.

24. overbysara says:

I like the idea of the dollar coins. seems old fashioned and fancy.

BUT, I don’t like to use them because it seems like there are so few in circulation that when you go to use them, you have to point out its worth to the cashier. “THIS IS THE EQUIVALENT OF ONE DOLLAR.”

25. Jean Naimard says:

Merkans are retarded. Inflation made the dollar go down in value so much that nowadays, a dollar is pocket change.
    – “The stupid dollar coin looks too much like a quarter”. How about making it ***BIGGER***????
    – In order to encourage it’s use, FORCE people to use it. Stop printing dollars. Mint them instead.
    – Then do deuces.
    – I love $1 and $2 coins: whenever I rummage through my fanny pack pocket (I wear spandex all the time), I often come with a handful worth $15-$20.

26. unit3 says:

I’m highly confused that this post even exists. Here in Canada, we’ve been using a $2 coin for over a decade. The Euro has coin-based denominations that are worth *much* more than $1 US.

Is everyone in the states just massively irrational about their money? That might go a long way to explain why this site even exists, really. ;)

27. lenagainster says:

The Susan B. Anthony dollar coin didn’t fare well; why does the Mint think these coins will do any better? I hate ‘em already, and I haven’t gotten one yet.

28. dirtymoney says:

I think we should bring back the old-fashioned pocketwatch-looking coin holder! see pic –> [www.abc.net.au] How trendy would it be to pull on a chain & whip it out & dispense coins from it on the spot!

29. Landru says:

I’d use them if parking meters took them. However, in our town, they have installed the parking machines that take credit cards, which are more convenient than coins ever were. I hardly use quarters at all now.

30. Parting says:

My friend works in gift shop for tourist in Montreal (Canada). Every time American tourists complain ”you didn’t give me all my change.” he has to point out, in their hand, 2$ and 1$ coins, which replaced bills in circulation year ago. Most tourist keep them as a ”souvenir” afterwards.

In the long run, government saved a lot of money using coins instead of bills. A coin lasts a lot longer than paper bill.

And even, if you don’t like handling coins, once you realize, that less taxes get wasted. It should help.

31. Ben says:

Once the dollar bill is phased out, the dollar coin will be accepted.

It’s really that simple.

32. Eric says:

I lived abroad for 5 months, and loved that the primary currency was handled in coins. The largest coin was a 10 shekel, worth about $2.50. The smallest bill was a 20, worth about $5.

I loved being able to reach into my pocket to buy lunch, things were quicker and easier. That aside, it is better for the economy due to the costs of printing money every few years vs. the cost of minting coins that last for 30 or more. It could lower taxes!

33. stephdmonkey says:

Look at the “basic” version of the US cash register. It has coin spaces for pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters. One of the problems with keeping dollar coins is that when the cashier gets a dollar coin, he/she puts it under the tray, along with the other things they won’t be returning to people as change (large bills, checks). At the end of their shift, the dollar coins all end up along with that stuff, in a pouch at the back of the store, ready to go to the bank.

Making the dollar coin really useful requires not just making it acceptable to vending machines, but also getting stores to return them as change.

34. I find dollar/loonie/pound coins terrible useful in places where I ride a lot of public transit. It gives you something to do with them, for starters, and I’m typically carrying some kind of coin pouchy thingie. (Even if you have a monthly pass, they still come in handy.)

But when I’m in not-public-transit places, they seem to mostly just hang around my pocket for ages and ages and annoy me and force me to take them to the bar just to get rid of them.

35. Lonetree says:

I always get a roll of dollar coins when I get into the bank after payday. Businesses in my area in Wisconsin seem to be use to them, don’t even flinch when I pay with them. It’s not until I leave the area I have to remember some people haven’t seen them before.

As for them falling out of the pocket, I just leave them in the paper roll and remove them one at a time when I pay. They never fall out that way, and not too heavy either.

36. Hoss says:

Like many of us, I don’t carry coins ever. I got a stash of coins in my desk that fund the company vending machine, and a stash of quarters in the car for parking meters — that’s it (aside from the Coinstar donation of n% my pennies). If 100% of retail was credit card friendly, I’d never have a coin.

37. SuperSally says:

@Stephdmonkey

Amen! That’s why I never have them. I love ‘em–they’re shiny and pretty and I just generally think they’re spiffy. But I never actually go to the back to get cash, I hit an available ATM or get change back at the grocery store. Plus, like others have said, I’m pretty sure vending machines around here don’t take them.

38. Thaddeus says:

I use them. I also use 50 cents pieces and I love Two Dollar bills. I get what I’m buying and entertainment value from using what is increasingly odd money.

Sometimes I have to explain that they are real, so I ordered some material from the US Mint.

More info: [www.usmint.gov]

39. deserthiker says:

People hate the dollar coin because they don’t like change (no pun intended). They will continue to use dollar bills so long as we have them. The government should just discontinue the dollar bill AND the penny and not give people the choice.
    For people receiving tips it might be it might be a burden having a bunch of coins instead of singles but then I always round my tips up to the next five anyway.

40. Sam says:

If dollar coins are small enough to be tolerable, they’ll get confused with quarters. If they’re big enough to be distinctive, people will hate carrying them around.

The only way I can see to really make these the main form of one-dollar currency is to just stop printing one-dollar bills (while still acknowledging the validity of those bills already in circulation, of course).

41. deserthiker says:

@Thaddeus:

I actually had to explain to a new cashier at the store that a two dollar bill was real. She’d never seen one and actually called the manager over. She told him I was trying to pay with these two dollar bills and his reply was, “And? Just take them.” He rolled his eyes, smiled at me and walked away laughing.

42. JmoneyGangsta says:

I love the idea of a $1 coin. After traveling abroad and using $1 and $2 coins, I definitely think we should go that route. I usually always carry change in my pocket. It was great when I could pull out some change and pay for lunch or dinner with it when I was in Germany. It would take quite a while to do that here. Plus it’s way more economical, the dollar bill loses so much money because it has to be re-printed so often, anyway this country could save or make money should be taken seriously.

43. Oregon says:

Wait until you drop 2 Susan B’s into a parking meter. You lose 2 dollars and get zero time.

Canada has done well with one and two dollar coins. Any change under five dollars almost always gets returned to you as coinage.

44. AvatarZ says:

I only use cash once every 2-3 weeks. Coins are heavy and a pain to carry. If only we were like Japan and could pay everything with our cell phone :-D

45. huadpe says:

Go Canada! For recognizability, they should just go bimetalic. No way you miss “this coin is two colours,” and think it’s a quarter.

46. ideagirl says:

@overbysara:
    “you have to point out its worth to the cashier. “THIS IS THE EQUIVALENT OF ONE DOLLAR.””

It also goes the other way, I have had cashiers give me change, and point out, “THIS IS A DOLLAR.” I like the $1 coins, but if we are still explaining it it each other, I don’t see how it will ever really catch on…

47. asylum15 says:

Get rid of the penny coins and round all purchases up to the nickel and you have the spot to use for the dollar coin in the cash registers. That way you eliminate the extra cost of producing the dollar bill and the penny.

48. Televiper says:

$1 and $2 coins had no problem catching on in Canada. A day out shopping and paying cash I normally end up with less than $20 in change in my pocket which is no heavier than my keys. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. You guys should accept the $1 coin and push for a $2 coin. Personally, I think the next step in Canada should be eliminating the penny.

49. trillium says:

Have you ever tried paying at McDonald’s with dollar coins? I tried this a few years ago with a Susan B’s and half dollars. The cashier didn’t know what I had given him (he thought the entire stack was half dollars), so did his next door neighbor cashier. It took the interjection of a manager who realized what the cashier had in his hand to figure out that I had paid with all coins (and the manager swapped out paper bills for the coinage).

Same way with $2 bills. Amusing to carry but you get looked at like your head is on backwards.

50. VoxPopuli says:

If all vending machines were required to take dollar coins, people would eventually get used to them. I live in NYC and although there are a fair amount of machines that take them, many don’t.

Which means I still see dollar coins as yet another form of punishment doled out by the Postal Service, since that’s where I seem to pick up the lil buggers.

I can’t imagine tipping someone with a dollar coin unless it was a silent protest over service that was poor, but not bad enough to merit no tip.

51. Adam291 says:

It’s simple. We don’t need to versions of the same thing. The dollar bill should be discontinued because they don’t last very long in circulation and it’s an inefficient system. I think people will get used to a dollar coin, and at least they used James Madison who was a great man for the country. (Even though that’s a really ugly looking portrait of him.)

The gold also makes it seem “not real.” If they made it a regular silver looking coin, I think it would be accepted much more easily as “real money.”

52. azntg says:

Like everyone said, the only way you’ll get Americans to use the dollar coins is to discontinue dollar bills. Though when that happens, you can count on me to shift even more small ticket purchases to my card, as I generally prefer to travel light in cash.

I personally hate coins in general. I’ve had to purchase a new wallet since putting coins in my wallet created an unnatural/uneven bulge and eventually ripped a hole in the weak sewing spots.

I also carry a change purse now (a light fabric enclosed rectangle that used to carry first-aid items), but even so, I hate it when coins start shifting in my pockets creating uneven bulges. I also hate having to sort through thick, relatively identical looking coins to produce exact change (as opposed to paper bills, which are thin and identical looking, but at least I can sort through them more quickly).

Also, it sucks when you go around NYC and get that stare or get double checked when you give a dollar coin as opposed to a bill. I find that many vending machines in the places that I use still don’t accept dollar coins.

53. zolielo says:

How about a dollar coin that is smaller than a quarter and thinker than a nickel? Similar to how a dime is currently pound for pound the most valuable.

54. KJones says:

For some idiotic reason, the US made the dollar coin round. The loonie was designed to be (IIRC) 17 sided for the blind to tell the difference, and it’s a visible difference to the sighted as well, not just the colour.

One would think with the two dollars being par that US vending machines and stores would be happy to take Canadian as well as US coins, unlike the past 30 years. If people pay machines in Canadian coins now, the vendors _make_ money.

55. Trai_Dep says:

Nuke the penny to free up a slot in the nation’s cash registers. Give six months of $1 coin pumping to get them into circulation, then phase out the $1 bill over a six month period.

Of course, that makes too much sense for the Republicans to do. Bet they’ll filibuster since they luuuv the penny so much.

And, how much extra are we paying for stupid redesigns, shipping, etc., for all these versioned quarters and dollars? Does anyone care besides coin collectors and Treasury officials? Would you rather see that kids get health insurance instead? I sure would.

56. dkf2222 says:

I can not get these coins at my bank. They look at me like I am stupid every time I ask for a roll. They act like they can order them but it will put them out. I must call and ask for them a week ahead of time. I get them at banks that I have to cash checks at. Other than that I never see them anywhere. No one uses them in transactions. Blame the banks. They did the same to the other coins that were not circulated. (At least the bank that I bank with)

57. balthisar says:

@el_gordo: I lived most of last year in Canada, and would normally have to say, having all those coins sucked. I would say that if not for the fact that they were actually quite useful in leaving tips for the chambermaid. (yeah, a whole year in a hotel)

In any case, dollars coins would be happily accepted if we got rid of the paper version. For ease of use, though, we’d need to also have a two dollar coin, just like our neighbors to the south (Canada’s south of me). Economically, it makes sense to do away with the paper version. EVEN SO, I’ll still avoid the coins in favor of paper until paper becomes too much of a hassle. Like most of the other commentators, I just hate and detest change.

58. Kishi says:

I love the dollar coins, I just can’t ever find them. I don’t ever deal with a bank teller unless something has gone particularly wrong, or I need to cash a check, which is about once every four months.

59. mathew says:

I love the dollar coin, but I never see any.

60. catskyfire says:

I like dollar coins, but they will not be accepted as long as they are produced in tandem with dollar bills. A LOT of machines have not been made to accept them, and a lot of merchants don’t want a slot for dollar coins AND dollar bills in their cash drawers.

I’ve been in England and Canada and fell in love with the ease of it. The dollar is not the primary bill anymore…the 20 is. (At least, based on ATM’s, which is where most of us get our cash.) So give us a 1 dollar coin and maybe a 5 dollar coin.

And discontinue the bills they represent.

61. 12monkeys says:

The countless millions that are spent redesigning the money would be better spent taking care of our veterans.Who needs a new 20 or 10 every few years.The old ones work just fine.

62. trollkiller says:

They need to bring back the Eisenhower Dollar, that at least looked like real money. The new dollar coins look like Chuck E. Cheese tokens. (now with Zombie)

63. bigjohnwhodat says:

My problem with that dollar coins is that they’re advertising them with television commercials. There’s got to be a pretty tangible benefit over a paper bill to justify spending tax money on advertising in my book, and I don’t see one.

64. huadpe says:

@balthisar: A. I hope someone else was paying for the hotel, and B, do you live in Maine, or Michigan? Or the north pole?

65. Major-General says:

@deserthiker: As the government points out, the cent is a hedge against inflation, as more of them start to circulate during recessions.

I think a dollar coin would require being bi-metallic (loonie, toonie, €1, €2) and without a circulating dollar bill. Bi-metallic coins don’t meet the mints standards for durability though.

66. rlue says:

@Jean Naimard: Right on. I hate the dollar coin because I hate the dollar.

Also, the Sacagawea failed because too many dweebwads collected the coins instead of using them. What do you think changing the design four times a year will do?

67. TheHeartless says:

When I was in Europe, I had 1 and 2 Euro coins, and I’ll be honest it grew on me pretty quickly. It was really nice knowing you had a coin in your pocket you could reach for that would entirely cover the purchase of a coke, you know?

68. darkclawsofchaos says:

a good idea would to get rid of the $0.01 place, and just round to the 0.1, then make $!, $2 and $5 coins. That way, the government saves on making expensive pennies (pennies cost more than they are worth) and nickels. The new quarters can be the size of nickels and the dollars can be the size of quarters

69. Benny Gesserit says:

@unit3: Now now, be nice. I’m sure we both remember the kerfuffel when the loonie was introduced. (Mothers on the news at sewing machines reinforcing the pockets of their kid’s jeans. Remember?)

Same thing happened with the twonie. (And there was a taste of it last year over the $5 coin rumour. What the heck would we call it anyway? The cinq-ie to be français inclusive?)

The difference for us was the Gov’t systematically pulled the bill from circulation. The moment the bills made it back to a bank, they went back to Ottawa never to be seen again. (Except for the $1 and $2 bills I saved as souvenirs.)

70. veronykah says:

@dirtymoney: That thing is awesome. I would absolutely carry one of those!

As to everyone saying they have to explain “this is a dollar” to each other, correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t it SAY so on the coin? Can’t you just SHOW it to whoever doesn’t get it?

71. Benny Gesserit says:

@azntg: Is that $12 in $1 coins in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? HA! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

72. JPropaganda says:

I love the dollar coin, as someone who spent 4 years in university in Canada, I just can’t wait until we get dollar coins rolling. And maybe…if we’re lucky…two dollar coins

73. SOhp101 says:

I know this is completely irrational, but I will NEVER carry a George W. Bush coin in my pocket nor will I ever accept one if possible.

74. _Puck says:

When visiting Germany during high school before the Euro took over, we Americans were not accustomed to using coins as having a significant monetary value. One of the guys on the trip handed a pocket full of change to a bum and only then realized he had probably $20 worth of change in his pocket from the higher denomination coins they had.

I agree with the notion that change sucks and I dump it as soon as I can either at work, home, or in the car. I barely like carrying a wallet, let alone 5 pounds of change.

75. SwampAssJ says:

@louisb3:

Gold dollars are a hell of a lot different from the quarters in appearence.

76. flowerofhighrank says:

I have a stack of Susans i keep in the stowaway pocket of my Mountainsmith Tour (love that bag!) I don’t spend ‘em, so they stay there waiting for hunger or need.
    Honestly: I think we’re going to either go ‘cash-free’ in 20 years (if technology/society keeps advancing) or we’re going to be barter only and gold and silver abrs will take over (if, say, things keep going the way they are). I can see both bullets and aspirin becoming valuable units.

77. Thoria says:

I love the dollar coins. For one thing, I love to see the way people react when I spend them.

78. Robert Isbell says:

I actually like the coins over the dollar bill, considering to make one dollar takes making more than 1 coin. I like the fact that I do not lose dollars as easily, versus when I only have dollar bills.

79. Blueoysterjoe says:

Coins are a nuisance. In this day and age, we shouldn’t need to carry ingots in our pockets in order to pay for goods and services.

Tragically, we were given the means to evolve when the printing press was invented, and yet here we are carrying bulging sacks of metal in our pockets like Yosemite Sam at the docks on his day off.

I think we need to go in the opposite direction. I think we need to have paper coins. Or no coins at all.

80. Thaddeus says:

For everyone who is beating the “lets get rid of the penny” drum, it would be an awful idea. Prices would go up. No store is going to round things to the nickel in the consumers favor. I don’t know if you know this, but if you save enough pennies, they can be take to a bank and turned in for larger amounts.

81. witeowl says:

Am I the only one asking this: “Wait, what? We have a dollar coin?”

Seriously, I never see them anywhere. Wait, one place: stamp vending machines. Nowhere else. Unless they get rid of the paper dollar, coin dollars will never catch on.

Honestly, I say get rid of the penny and paper dollar. Scratch that: I don’t care. With few exceptions, I’m cashless. I don’t care what you do with your paper and coinage.

82. cSam says:

The T stations in Boston only give change in dollar coins. At first it seems cool, carrying around gold coins (there are facebook groups dedicated to the wonderful notion that sacajaweas make you feel like a pirate), but when you get $15 worth of change in dollar coins the novelty runs thin (they wouldn’t fit in my pocket, and if they had I would have been walking lopsided).
    And there definitely isn’t enough publicity about this presidential thing because the first time I got them as change I thought I had counterfeit sacs. And now that they change up the rotation every few months to grumpy old presidents, I can’t call them sacs anymore. As if these guys weren’t on enough currency already, by the way…. I’d rather the mint force these coins on us than try to make us love them first.

83. JDobbs says:

With all the “We love it in Canada!” talk i have a serious question.
    How does a Canadian girly bar work? Do you just drop a lot more per song as bills start at five, are there coupons like paper $1 tokens, or do the girls where a belt with the change holster on their hips like the guy at the arcade?
    I’m sure this sounds like a glib question, but i’m seriously curious.

84. 0x12is18 says:

@SOhp101: I completely agree, or if I somehow find myself unlucky enough to get some of these I will “hypothetically” destroy them since destroying money is a federal offense. Seriously though, I believe that the only reason the presidents are being put on coins is so that there is a valid excuse to put Bush’s mug on currency.

85. Thaddeus says:

@ Nwogoldberg99

The $1 coin act specifies that in order for a President to be honored, he or she must have been dead for at least two years and the coins will end when all the then-eligible Presidents have been honored. It is likely that GWB will not be on one.

86. alhypo says:

If they want us to use the coin, they need to force us to use it. In other words, get rid of the dollar bill (and the penny, while they’re at it). See, no individual wants to be burdened with these clumsy coins while everyone else is using the light and compact dollar-bill. It would be voluntarily resigning one’s self to a disadvantage. But if there were no choice — if everyone had to use them — the disparity would be eliminated.

87. droidd says:

Stop producing the dollar bill and start removing them from circulation then people will have to start to use the dollar coin.

88. JDobbs says:

Not where. Wear. Ugh. Hangover.

89. witeowl says:

@Thaddeus: Or, at the least, we can celebrate when he becomes eligible.

Hmph, apparently even a pacifist can cheer the death of a warmonger.

90. cindel says:

Can’t use them on public transportation except in Los Angeles; I’m in DC.

91. kilde says:

I would prefer dollar coins replace dollar bills, but I can tell American’s have a problem with that for some reason. I think the best compromise is to do what Australia does. Use plastic bills. They last much longer than paper money.

92. ColoradoShark says:

@stephdmonkey:
    How about this?
    Get rid of the penny.
    Make something penny sized the dollar coin.

93. PatrickPortland says:

“We would put up a poll asking why you hate the dollar coin… Because street vendors give you a dirty look when you use it to pay for a coke?”

No, it’s because street vendors outright refuse to take them.

94. peggynature says:

@JDobbs: I’ve heard some incredibly disgusting stories of ways strippers “pick up a twoonie.” Face-sitting plays a large role.

Enjoy your dollar coins.

95. paper dollars ain’t going anywhere, not while the Crane Paper Co. (who make the cotton-based substrate for all US currency) has its gravy train and handsomely compensates those who keep that train stoked.

96. Infe says:

Why don’t we just make the dollar bill smaller? We all want dollar bills, and if we say, cut the dollar to 25% its current size, that would cut the costs of printing them about that much.

97. SpaceCat85 says:

@ColoradoShark: I like that idea. Either that, or get rid of anything below the quarter, which seems to be the most accepted for coin-op washing & vending machines.

And, to be more radical, differentiate the dollar & quarter by making the latter out of a lighter metal & punch a hole in the center. Need to visit the laundromat, buy a Coke, pay a toll, or something else you usually use coinage for? Don’t bring a heavy bag of coins…just string `em up and take off what you need :)

98. HrPingui says:

After living in Europe for over a year now, the eruo coins are great, the .01, .02, .05, .10, .20, .50, 1 and 2 euro coins are much easier to use then the american equivalent. Plus, my wallet never seems to be over filled with them. And I never have to worry about the vending machine returning my coin, beacuse it is too crumpled. I will echo the previous comments by saying, phase out the dollar bill.

99. Trai_Dep says:

The only reason people are whining about coins (with good reason) is that it’s useless, jingly-jangly weight in their pocket. If you could actually buy something with ‘em, your mind would readjust. You would learn to <3 spare change in the same way a five-year-old set loose in a candy store does.

Regards the so-called inflationary aspects of nuking the penny, there’s this concept called “averaging” that would take care of that. Supply/Demand and a free market would enforce this, to the extent that a $0.024 difference would make, which would be trivial. But it’s very necessary, since previous attempts at getting a $1 coin to work were stymied because of the costs of refitting all those cash registers. Free up the slot and this cost would disappear.

100. iamme99 says:

First, I dislike coins in general. They make noise and weigh you down.

Second, I like my money all in one place. Why should I have to maintain 2 stores of money, one in my pocket and one in my wallet?

Third, if I keep candies or gum in my pocket, even though it is wrapped, I don’t want them mingling with dirty coins.

The best solution would be to get rid of all physical money and just move to a true cashless society. Then the government could redirect all the money they spend on minting money and constantly trying to outwit counterfeiters to something more useful.

101. kostia says:

I don’t think the dollar coin will be accepted until they start removing dollar bills from circulation, like they did with the one-pound note in the UK. You pretty much have to force people.

I remember paying for my school lunch with a Susan B. Anthony dollar in roughly 1979, and I had to argue with the lunch lady that it wasn’t a quarter. Almost thirty years later nothing’s changed. We’re just not programmed for dollar coins.

102. trollkiller says:

One thing that may help the PETA and vegans move over to the dollar coin is the fact that EVERY U.S. bill has sizing (helps the ink stick) made from animals on it.

103. witeowl says:

@Infe: That’s a good idea in general. Like the paper Euros, make our greenbacks different sizes, depending on value. Then, people could no longer drunkenly hand their taxi driver $100 instead of $10 and say, “Keep the change.” (It happened to me as a cabbie, but I was too damned honest.)

I’ll bet the blind would appreciate the switch as well.

104. lws1984 says:

Hudape’s got the right idea!

The 1-Euro coin has 2 metals in it (Copper-colour and silver-colour, I think)

If we use some extra pennies, we can give the dollar coin a copper ring around the edge.
    That, and bring out more $2 bills.
    Problem solved!

105. asscore says:

Ditch the dollar bill and people will have no problem using the coins.

Strippers be damned, they can get a thong with a change pocket!

My wallet has metal strips that hold change… just like this one…
    [www.wdrake.com],+Wallets+%26+Totes&ProductID=H4SE
    mine even has a bottle opener built in.

106. asscore says:

way to screw my url – well just search for slotted leather purse at wdrake.com and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

107. Klitaka says:

When hanging out in Germany, I could pay for a mid-day meal with the change in my pocket (1€ and 2€ coins). To do that without $1and $2 coins means a huge pocket of quarters.

The real problem with dollar coins in America? They’re just not used as change. I never have any, and it’s slightly inconvenient to go to the bank to get some. In fact, I haven’t even seen a $1 coin in a couple years.

Also, pennies really ought to be phased-out and nickels used as the smallest fraction of a dollar. I know I wouldn’t complain. Logistically? a little difficult, but there’s rounding that already goes on at the pump–Gas is measured to three decimal places, and we pay with two.

108. jwissick says:

First they are the same size as a quarter or close enough to be confused. Second, only the post office and light rail in my area takes them in machines. NO other machines take them.

The only thing less useful than a 1 dollar coin is a 2 dollar bill.

109. iamme99 says:

If anyone tries to give me $coins in change, I ask them to give me bills. They can give those coins to someone else.

110. Her Grace says:

I don’t hate it at all. I love it and will be harassing my bank for dollar coins rather than bills. Australia, like Canada, uses a dollar and two dollar coin. Both are gold, and strangely enough, no one is dumb enough to mix them up with the other coins. Of course, Australia is the money-making capital of the world (apparently they do the printing/coin-making for a number of countries’ currencies), and they’re smart enough to have their bills be plastic and their coins all of different weights. It might go down better in the US if we were less dumb about the sizing.

111. mr.dandy says:

One benefit to eliminating small bill means better vending machines. For example, in Japan, there is no 100 or even 500 yen bill, only coins, which approximate our $1 and $5. This has allowed low-end vending machines to flourish there, since everyone there always has at least a few hundred yen in coins in their pocket. The range of stuff you can get from Gashapon toy machines there is amazing. By comparison, the mechanism for a bill acceptor is expensive, and it requires electricity, while a coin-mech does not.

I think it would have been better to make the dollar coins a larger though, to differentiate from the quarter.

112. thepounder says:

I really think they should just push the Dollar coins out to the public and stop listening to all the whining. Then, over time, pull all the Dollar bills out of circulation.

@jwissick: See, you’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter if machines don’t take them now; they’ll have to take them once they’re in full swing and the Dollar bill is being phased out. You just need to put up a stink when you need to use a machine that doesn’t accept Dollar coins. They are legal tender after all.

113. rmuser says:

Because the dollar bill is and will continue to be in circulation, and it’s easier to use than a coin. Until dollar bills are withdrawn from circulation, and the coins are made more distinctive, people will just keep hoarding them because they’re a novelty, instead of spending them. Who the hell wants to use a coin instead of a bill, anyway? $1 isn’t small change.

114. mugsywwiii says:

@jwissick: The 2 dollar bill would be a lot more useful if they replaced the 1 dollar bill with a 1 dollar coin. And get rid of the stupid pennies while they’re at it.

115. S-the-K says:

I don’t buy the “too heavy” arguement. The dollar coin is only slightly larger and heavier than a quarter dollar, but people don’t complain about that. It takes 4 quarter dollars to equal one dollar but the dollar coin does not weigh four times the weight of the quarter dollar.

When my employer had a contract with Coka-Cola, the machines would not accept dollar coins. Now we are a Pepsi shop which does accept dollar coins.

Besides a dollar coin lasting at least 25 years but the average paper dollar lasting 18 months, it solves a problem that dollar bills have. They work almost all the time in vending machines. Dollar bills have to essentially be “crisp uncirculated” else vending machines may reject them.

As for strippers, they need to do what they do in the EU. They carry coinboxes to deposit Euro coins.

As for those who complain that the dollar coins are too much like quarter dollars, I don’t buy that arguement either. The non-SBA dollar coins are a different color than quarter dollars and they have a smooth edge versus the quarter dollar’s reeded edge.

The dime is similar in size to a cent, plus the cent is a different color and has a smooth edge versus the dime’s reeded edge. Plus a dime is 10x the value of a cent, as opposed to a dollar being only 4x that of a quarter. Nobody complains about confusing a cent with a dime.

And on top of all of that, it can be shown that paper bills, especially the highly circulated dollar bills, are a haven for fecal bacteria, as well as other bacteria and viruses that can make you sick, especially those whose immune system is compromized. Coins are less efficient a disease vector than linen paper.

The dollar coin will never be popular until Congress gets b@lls and discontinues the dollar bill. However, we’ll probably go to an aluminum cent and recomposed nickel before that happens. The cent and nickel currently cost more than face value to produce.

116. lukobe says:

I like the idea of a dollar coin, but not the current design. Bring back Ike?

We should have a two-dollar coin, as well.

117. Giolon says:

I just returned from a trip to Japan where coins are king. Our problem is that our coins are too bulky and heavy. The 100 yen coin (~$1) is tiny, slightly larger than a nickel, and weighs almost nothing. 500 yen coins ($~5) are slightly larger than the dollar coin here. Additionally, everything accepts coins and very few machines (train, subway, soft drink, and ice cream machines) accept bills over 1000 yen (~$10). Finally, no 100 yen or 500 yen bills exist. Just the coins. If the US would have the balls to get rid of the $1 bill completely, as wel as lighten the weight and reduce the size of the $1 coin, it could be successful.

118. artki says:

> Moy said banks don’t realize that if they run out, they can order more coins from the Federal Reserve.

BANKS don’t realize this? This guy is saying that BANKS don’t know where or how to get money?

119. alhypo says:

@artki: Well, this should be surprising, but when in your experience has a bank ever demonstrated any sort of competence?

120. louisb3 says:

@SwampAssJ: Ha! If you’re in perfect lighting and you have the time and patience to inspect your coinage carefully, sure. Otherwise the quasi-gold-esque tone is not too far from the tarnished silver-ish tone of the rest of the coins.

Same thing goes for the ridged vs smooth edges – sure, it’s technically different, but similar enough to make it a significant inconvenience.

If dollar coins looked and felt dramatically different from small coinage – shaped like rounded squares, maybe – then they’d see more widespread use, presumably.

121. synergy says:

Being married to a Canadian, I can tell you that I hate carrying 5 pounds (2+kg) of coins. For those of you who say it’s less waste of taxes, going to all plastic would save taxes. On the other hand, I’d rather save taxes by the government just not wasting my money by the trillions with stupid crap like wars and marketing for a coin that probably won’t catch on and weighs a ton.

122. Payoso says:

I’m waiting for 2016 when the Nixon dollar coin (AKA “Nixie”) comes out. After that I will demand to be paid in cold hard Nixies. The concept of paying for all of my goods and services with dollar coins emblazoned with the image of Richard Nixon simply warms the cockles of my heart even if it’s a bit inconvenient.

123. Spaztrick says:

@deserthiker: Where you in my store? This exact scenario just happened last week. One of our new employees had never seen a $2, gold $1, or a Susan B. On the other side though, anytime I try to give customers a gold coin, they scream we’ve short changed them. I’ve even had a customer tell me to give him quarters instead of the $1 coin because it weighed too much.

124. Topcat says:

@synergy: Who in their right mind carries 2 kilograms of coins?! The Loonie is 7 grams, and the toonie is 7.4 grams, and they are the heaviest Canadian circulation coins. If you have 2+ kg, that’s upwards of $200. Try being a little bit realistic.

I will agree that the “Canada Pocket” syndrome can be a nuisance for those unaccustomed to dealing with change instead of bills (leaving you with a ton of coins), but with a couple toonies/loonies, a few quarters and maybe a dime or two, the most you’re putting in your pocket is 50-75g (2-3 ounces). Often much less. Unless you’re Bjork, that isn’t going to weigh you down significantly.

125. CapitalC says:

@stephdmonkey: Simple solution, ditch the penny, round to the $0.05.

I’m another Canuck who hates the proliferation of the stinky American $1. I was in NY last week, bought a hotdog ($3) with a $10 bill and got 7 singles in change. WTF.

Get your act together already, go coin! If you guys get a $1 coin, we can soon use it as the Canadian quarter! ;)

126. MrEvil says:

@JKinNYC: Yeah, reason I don’t use a $1 coin is because you can’t give them to strippers. $5 is too much to give to the stage dancer. Now if the BPE increases circulation of the $2 in response to the phasing out of the $1 bill My interest would be piqued.

You can get $2 bills at the bank, they are still printed by the BPE, but alot of folks will think they’re fake without a second glance.

127. ironchef says:

dollar=new peso.

128. dirtymoney says:

for those of you wanting a bi-metal dollar coin or a different-shaped dollar coin…. I believe that the golden dollar was made the shape (and non-bi-metal) it is now is because it had to have the same electromagnetic qualities as the susan B anthony dollar coin from the 70s, 80s & late 90s (they started making them briefly in the late 90s because they were running out of susn B’s in the postal vending machines)…. so that it can be recognized & used in vending machines (mostly postal vending machines).

I personanlly would love to see the dollar coin the shape & size of the british pound coin, but a major overhaul would have to be done to do that so it is not very practical.

I also hate how the new golden dollars tarnish quickly, but the mint said it was done on purpose so that it would have an antiqued look (sounds like BS to me). I like how the canuckian loonies’ color holds up under circulation.

129. HOP says:

some misguided clown was circulating an e-mail not to accept the new dollar cause the “god we trust” was left off the coin…..the motto was put around the rim…..the folding dollar is eazsier to carry around…..i haven’t run into the new dollar yet…..

130. stubblyhead says:

I like dollar coins quite a bit, actually. John Adams does look a bit like a zombie, in my opinion though. There’s a reason that coins have used profiles almost exclusively since their creation.

131. 5cents says:

Coins rock man.

132. 4dSwissCheese says:

As a Canadian who is currently living in the US, I have to say that dollar bills are one of the more annoying cultural differences I have (that, in combination with all the paper money being the same colour). They keep accumulating in my wallet, and it’s a pain to pull out the right number when using more than a couple. And don’t even get me started about using them in vending machines…

133. floydianslip6 says:

The dollar coin rules, but it should be a two dollar coin like Canada. Being able to walk around with a pocket of some change and actually be able to BUY something! It was great.

Change now is a minor annoyance since so much is needed for a purchase. The dollar coin (two dollar someday please!) would change all that.

134. kc2idf says:

Bring back the $2 bill and stop printing $1 bills, and I think the problem will sort itself out.

135. Wirehead says:

Argument: The dollar coin should be re-made as a distinctively shaped 13-sided (for the 13 colonies) bi-metallic coin.

And they need to suicide it… pull the one-dollar bill from circulation.

136. okitt says:

last i checked most vending machines, parking meters, public transit fare machines, and coin-op washers and dryers in boston do not take dollar coins. the only place that does seem to take dollar coins is the post office (which also happens to be the one place that enjoys doling them out as change). it doesn’t help that the times i’ve tried to use a dollar coin to pay for something in a retail store, the cashier spends a few minutes scrutinizing it out of suspicion that i might be trying to use some kind of foreign currency.

i like the idea of a dollar coin though. the british pound coin and the euro coin are great working examples. but with the many incarnations of the dollar coin over the years, it just doesn’t seem like it will EVER catch on over here.

137. vladthepaler says:

i think dollar coins are a spectacular idea. In Canada I find it convenient to buy small-price items with loonies and twonies. Then I go back to the US and have to fiddle with paper bills, it feels stupid and backwards.

Retailers hate dollar coins because their cash registers only have so many places for coins. The only way dollar coins will take off here is if retailers start giving them out in change. And they’re not going to do that because James Madison’s picture is on it.

138. mrmark says:

Some people have a mental block about a dollar coin. “The dollar is supposed to be a symbol of America, like the American eagle, the flag, and global imperialism. It’s not supposed to be a mere coin.”

I don’t see how a wallet stuffed with singles is an improvement over a handful of dollar coins in your pocket. I do believe that a handful of dollar coins is far preferable to a handful of an equal value of quarters.

And the “looks too much like a quarter” whine is bogus. It’s no harder than telling a quarter from a nickel, which most people master at about age six.

The only rational objection to the dollar coin is that you don’t like physical money, but it ain’t going out of style any time soon, so bite the wax tadpole and deal with it. Like George Carlin says, “Folks, carry some f~~~in’ money around, will ya? It comes in handy!”

139. axiomatic says:

Because thats not the “Dollar coin.” That coin in the picture is the “Commemorative THUNDERCATS reunion coin featuring Lionel, Lord of the Thundercats.”

140. shch says:

We did an experiment at the bar i work at as a bartender, giving every customer $1 sacajewea coins as change. Tips AND sales increased by a HUGE percentage due to the fact by the end of the night everyone was throwing these dollar coins down like they were quarters. Now we only use dollar coins instead of bills, and sales/tips are up consistently.

Also, where I live, the local gentlemen’s club uses $2 bills as change instead of one’s whenever possible, for obvious reasons, and whenver someone is in possesion of a $2 bill in my area, it is a pretty good sign of where they have been lately, or at least where the bill has come from originally.

141. Trai_Dep says:

If they came out with a $2 coin that featured US Presidential assassins, I’d be awfully tempted to stock up. Does that make me bad?

142. ekthesy says:

@trai_dep:

“Out of $10…your change, three Czolgosz, a Guiteau, and half a Booth.”

143. lim says:

@stephdmonkey: Really? I must have been working in odd places because all the cash registers (five different styles) I’ve used have had an extra coin space and an extra bill space. Since I’d rarely get dollar coins or fifty cent pieces so I’d keep rubber bands in the spare coin space and extra bundles of ones in the bill space.

I’d also hide the occasional silver certificate or mercury dime that people would use in the extra spot to buy at the end of my shift.

Ah Christmas, that magical time of year when young Johnny raids his parents closet or piggy bank and finds some small bills and change that they surely won’t miss if he takes them…

144. stuny says:

Time and time again, it seems that the mint is completely out of touch with their charter and the needs of the American people.

Currency used to have this regal, classic, dignified feel, now they seem cartoonish, amateurish, and lacking even basic grasp of consumer opinion. The repeated debacles of introducing dollar coins that are indistinguishable from other coins, or embarrassingly ugly.

On the new $100s, Franklin looks like he is drunk and making kissy faces. James Madison looks like a car accident victim. The state quarters look like poorly-minted counterfeit arcade tokens. The new bills look like a child doodled all over them in crayon and then poured tea on them. Sacagawea looks like Steven Segal snapped her neck How many portraits ever have the subject facing away from the viewer and then turning backwards over their shoulder?!

Note to the US Mint: Hire real artists, hire classically trained engravers, do some market research, talk to the American people, and look at the currency from other countries. Please stop producing expensive boondoggles that inexplicably make you happy, yet consign your work to the dustbin of laughable failures.

Has ANY new currency since the JFK dollar been even remotely accepted by the American public?

145. phxman says:

I almost never see dollar coins here, but I used to live in Germany back before the Euro, and it was always nice to dig around in your pocket change and come up with 15 or 20 marks. It was strange to move back to the states and get all this paper junk taking up space in my wallet again.

146. I’ll tell you why: Its because they keep changing the friggin’ design! Not only does it cause people to collect them instead of use them in circulation, its confusing as hell for consumers and retailers alike. This is the first I’ve heard about these presidential dollar coins, but I’ll bet you if I saw one before this I would’ve thought they were some silly collectable you get with a Publisher’s Clearing House order.

Coincidentally, 2 years ago my grandma gave me a ‘collectors set’ of gold Presidential coins for Christmas. They came in a cardboard booklet holder and the coins themselves look damn near identical to these real ones! I guess I can try and use my Bill Clinton coin to buy a girlie mag at the local gas station and see if they take it!

Honestly though, I bet if they brought back the Eisenhower dollar coin, give it time to establish itself in our culture, people would be more likely to use it because they are familiar with it, it looks like real money but there is nothing collectible about it!

Lastly, I’m not sure if anyone else already mentioned this, but if they took the dollar bill out of circulation and replaced it with a coin, it would save $400,000,000+ in cost, since the average dollar bill only lasts 1-2 years and the coin lasts 10-20+ years? Its only a small drop in the pond, but isn’t our government strapped for cash?

(Apologies for the long comment that no one will probably read.)

147. LVP says:

I love the one dollar coin. There should be a two dollar coin and a five dollar coin.

When I was in St. Petersburg Russia in 1995 most if not all of the prices on goods and services had the tax included and were even. No 99 cent tricks. If an Apple was $100 rubles, it was really $100 rubles including tax. This is a sure fire way to get rid of change.

But then again it would also raise prices a little.

148. ColoradoShark says:

@SpaceCat85: And can we get rid of the nickel also while we’re at it? Assume you get the bad end of the round on every cash transaction, two times a day, for 365 days a year. That is about 700 roundups for the year at five cents each is $35 a year.

Not insignificant but I don’t do two cash transactions every day and averages say I’ll wind up even in the long run.

149. TechnoDestructo says:

I haven’t even seen a dollar coin…ANY dollar coin…in about 8 months.

Are these ones still the same size as the Sacajawea dollar? You know, almost the same size as the quarter? Because that sure the hell doesn’t help.

150. Cera says:

I work at a bank, so I have to deal with every kind of currency. Call me old fashioned, but I can’t stand the dollar coins. Not any of them. I like the dollar bill, it’s thin, light, and fits neatly in a wallet. I’ve helped many people at my bank who didn’t even know that the U.S. Mint came out with these new coins. Really, I don’t see the dollar bill going away any time soon. Same with the penny. Just too many people like them. Just like Deserthiker said, people don’t like change.

151. vongarr says:

After 3 years of using the euro, along with the dollar, I really like the 1 and 2 euro coins. I doubt I’m the only one to put on a jacket that I haven’t worn in a while, or pants I haven’t worn, and discover some dollar bills in there. With the euro coin, it clanks so I usually notice it better.

You’d also be surprised what you can pay for with “loose change.” I for one, welcome the change.

152. PaylordGerry says:

Phase out the dollar bills (slowly) and pennies (like yesterday). Use the penny slot in cash registers for the dollar coin.