Lemon Pricing At Meijer Is Very Straightforward

Reader Tim says:

I saw this in a Meijer store in Grand Rapids, MI this summmer. Finally got it off of my cell phone and thought I’d send it your way. I’m still confused by it. I believe they were actually $2 per lemon when I rang one up.

So, apparently the sign really means: “Lemons $2.00 each.” That’s a pricey lemon, we hope you did not buy it.

This sign is probably taught in existential philosophy classes.

(Photo: Tim)

Comments

1. Zerkaboid says:

Expensive lemons are a consumerist issue? Sure it’s a confusing sign, but it’s not like the ones at Walmart which are clearly just corporate mistakes. Just a dumb employee. The guy even said he “believes” it rang up as $2, which implies that it may not have anyway.

2. cedarpointfan says:

No, the lemons are three for two dollars. Some person just accidentally put each.

Not really newsworthy, Meg.

3. winter_in_asia says:

This probably refers to loose (“single”) lemons as opposed to bagged ones.

4. mantari says:

If someone accidently put each, then why does it say ‘single lemons’ ?

5. Munsoned says:

What if they are only $2 each if you buy 3? What if you only buy 2? Would that make them, like, $5 each?

6. zimzombie says:

This reminds me of a pricing experiment I heard of. Someone tested the consumer response to two signs:

One read, “Snickers! Buy extra for your freezer!”

The other read, “Snickers! Buy 12 for your freezer!”

The sign with the arbitrary quantity actually increased sales. Silly consumers!

It’s just like grocery stores that say “5 for $10″ when you can buy one for $2. Just psychology and the chance you’ll buy 5 thinking you’re getting a deal.

7. mantari says:

I have been to grocery stories which actually enforces the 5 for $10 policy. They charge you a ‘regular rate’ if you don’t buy the 5. Are those places still around?

8. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@cedarpointfan:

Please direct any content feedback/suggestions to the post’s author. Editors’ e-mail addresses are to the left of the page.

9. nequam says:

@mantari: Yes. I live near a Walgreen’s drug store. The signs in there will say “3 for $9, or $4.00 each.” At least in Mass., they are required to be that specific.

10. XTC46 says:

@mantari: they have to specify the individual price here (typically its in small print) but I dont recall ever seeing something that was 2 for 5 bucks and not 1 for 2.50.

11. ragold says:

Pretty sure this means 3 lemons for $2. First because lemons don’t cost $1.50 each except maybe in Saskatchawan and second, if you ignore “single lemons” you have 3 lemons / 2 dollars / 1 (each) — you always get 1.5 lemons per dollar, abstractly speaking.

12. DallasDMD says:

Slow news day?

13. …but apparently not a slow commenting day :)

14. Shaggy says:

@mantari: It depends on where you live. Here in Michigan, an “x for $y” price is REALLY “1 for $y/x”. So, in this case, if the sign says “3 lemons for $2″, and I buy 1, I only pay $0.66.

15. Schmee says:

*sigh* I love/miss Meijer (and I learned how to spell Meijer from Sesame Street on PBS!). They need to expand and get rid of Wal-Marts. I can dream.

PS – Which Grand Rapids location? I grew up around there and know plenty of people who have and/or still do work for Meijers.

• jjbear says:

Yes, Meijer is better than WalMart. We moved to Florida for four years, and couldn’t wait to move back to Michigan and shop at Meijer. However, they”re not what they used to be. If it’s on sale, it’s likely not on the shelf. I have e-mailed them twice and never heard from them. I also spoke to the store director, and he suggested that we just ask an employee. I told him that I don’t have 20 minutes to wait for an employee search for each item that is not on the shelf. Two days ago, they were out of 3 things that I had on my list. They are the closest store with decent prices, so I am forced to shop there. But I am so very tired of seeing employees stocking items that don’t need it, and not stocking the sale items that do. Can’t someone be told to keep and eye on sale items?

16. JustRunTheDamnBallBillick. says:

My money is probably on there being 3-packs for 2 bucks each. I wonder if they were next to the loose ones.

17. alhypo says:

I’ll admit, this is not “news-worthy”, but like any good media outlet, The Consumerist throws in the occasional comic relief made all the more enjoyable being that it is apparently real.

Perhaps you all think you’re cleaver, what with your “This is news?” and “Slow news day?” comments. But the more cleaver probably refrained from commenting at all, having recognized that they’ve already wasted a precious few seconds reading the post and did not wish to waste even more with some redundant and obvious attempt at a quip. Better yet, the most cleaver of all might have recognized immediately that they were not interested and skipped down to the next post allowing those who might enjoy the ridiculous sign to indulge ourselves without enduring the barrage of comments suggestive of our feeble senses of humor.

18. humphrmi says:

@mantari: Maybe they’re not married.

19. Hamm Beerger says:

What idiot misspells clever? Three times!!

20. alhypo says:

At least I didn’t misspell “cleaver”.

21. faust1200 says:

“It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.” David St. Hubbins

22. Hinomura says:

jesus who pays more than 50 cents for a lemon? you got ripped off are probably making a sour face as we speak.

23. SugarRob says:

I really want to play that lemonade stand game now.

24. Benny Gesserit says:

@ragold: Lemon in Saskatchewan are usually the same as anywhere else in Canada: about $.70. Wait, with the exchange, that’s about US$1.50. HA.

I’m sorry. But, you see, we’ve waited DECADES to be able to make jokes like that. I’m sure everything will be back to normal in a few months.

25. Consumer-X says:

3 single lemons equal a collective unit that costs $2 per unit. A single lemon costs 67 cents. I can’t believe I wasted 19 seconds of my life to write this comment…

26. boxjockey68 says:

I loved to go meijering….I miss Meijers.

27. crapple says:

As has been said by at least 2 other people….I miss Meijer. Atlanta area has nothing that compares. *sigh*

28. dix99 says:

Meijer are the biggest scammers in the world. Everytime I go to the store by me, I always have to check the prices as they ring up & have them correct ithem. Just look at the lines in ‘Customer Service’ & you can see they have issues. My advice to you all, is always check your receipt.

29. csdiego says:

All of you who say, “What??? For THIS I burned 2.3 seconds of retina time? THAT’s not NEWS!!!!”–

From now on, your comments should be deleted unless you can tell us what you think is valid news. Personally, I’m not excited about the Call of Doom stories, or anything about Best Buy (I mean, you read one story about Best Buy, you’ve read them all: they’re crooks, what more do you need to know?). But those stories seem to do well with other readers. You know what I do about it? I don’t click on the headlines that don’t interest me. And if I do click on a boring story by mistake, I either close my browser or go to another site.

Try this at home. You’ll like it.

30. bbbici says:

@Jim (The Canuck One):

Lemons are NOT $0.70 everywhere in Canada. I have never paid more than $0.33 for a lemon, even at the most rip-off grocery stores.

The person who wrote the sign probably has a little disconnect between his hand and his brain, thinking one thing and writing another.

31. meeroom says:

I lived in the Cincinnati area for one year and I thought that Meijer, Bigg’s and the Wal-Mart/grocery store were revolting displays of conspicuous consumption. The 500 pound fatties making their way through the cavernous aisles on motorized carts were always good for a laugh though.