If you want decaf coffee on the go, your best bet is McDonald’s, says Consumer Reports: cups from Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks, and Seattle’s Best Coffee varied unpredictably, spiking as hight as 20-30 mg of caffeine per serving, while McDonald’s was consistently under 5 mg. [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. RottNDude says:

Why even bother drinking coffee, then? Christ almighty.

2. BugMeNot2 says:

Isn’t McDonald’s coffee Seattle’s Best Coffee?

3. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

When I was a college kid, I worked for IHOP for a while as a hostess. When things got busy and coffee was running out, I used to catch the waitresses pouring whatever was on hand regardless of what the customer asked for. I don’t know if it was that store only or the whole chain, but we were a training store for management so who knows, really. Of course this was about 20 years ago, but the IHOP I go to (different store) hasn’t changed a bit. Of course, I don’t order coffee…

4. hypnotik_jello says:

Decaf coffee? Is that like decocanized cocaine?

5. superflippy says:

Doesn’t say how much is in the BK decaf. I think theirs tastes best by a wide margin, so that’s what I usually get when I need a drive-thru breakfast. I guess if it’s not listed among the worst, it’s probably not too caffeinated.

6. TC2COOL says:

There is a major problem with McDonald’s “Premium Coffee”. McDonald’s thinks that we consumers are too stupid to put our own cream and sugar in our coffee. (Or that their employee’s are too stupid to only give out enough creamer/sugar packets to satisfy the customer as opposed to the 10 of each I used to get.)

Coffee is way to personal for me to allow others to stick anything in it. My ratios are exact, and because of that, I HATE McDonald’s coffee.

Or am I just being a coffee snob?

7. hypnotik_jello says:

@TC2COOL: Snobbish? Nah, but seriously who puts cream and sugar in their coffee? ewww.

8. TC2COOL says:

@hypnotik_jello: What has one thumb, one eye and likes cream and sugar? (Now imagine me, someone you have never met or seen, holding up one thumb in a thumbs up manner and with one eye closed) This guy!

That’s just it though. I don’t really like cream and sugar in my coffee. I like a hint of cream and a hint of sugar. Just enough to bring out the sucrose flavors in the beans. No more, just a taste.

McDonalds likes to put a gallon of milk in their customer’s coffee and at least five packs of sugar. It is too much, and, like I suppose you like it, I take my coffee black at the Golden Showers. Er, Arches.

9. vanilla-fro says:

@hypnotik_jello: I like my coffee like I like my women; ground up and in the freezer.

Seriously though, shouldn’t decaf not have any caffeine? did I miss something in the decaf part?

10. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@vanilla-fro: All coffee has caffeine, even good old Sanka. Decaffeinated does not mean caffeine free. My dad is hypersensitive to caffeine and had to give up all coffee, even decaf.

11. spryte says:

@BugMeNot2: Seattle’s Best is the brand they serve at Borders bookstores. I’m not sure if McDonald’s is a specific brand. I think it used to be Millhouse or something like that.

I never go to McDonald’s but when I see people with their coffee cups they just say “premium roast coffee”.