German researchers have found that a glucose-restricted diet increases the number of free radicals in mice and worms, and extended their lifespans by up to 25%. The free radicals trigger the natural defense systems in the creatures, which in turn strengthen long-term cellular protection against the damaging molecules. So go ahead: smoke and curse all you want, and throw out that death-giving orange juice. [Reuters]
By cwalters October 4, 2007
More From Consumerist
- Posting Pics Of Frayed Apple Cords Won’t Do Anything, But This Might
- Why Are Americans Losing Interest In Orange Juice?
- Why Is Food That Doesn’t Contain Any Grains Labeled ‘Gluten-Free’?
- Watch A Man Make A Carrot Eggshell Raisin Smoothie And Don’t Puke
- Study: Raising Cigarette Prices Means People Drink Less Beer & Booze