Toyota To Recall Floor Mats In 2007 Lexus And Camry

Toyota is recalling optional “all-weather” floor mats used in the 2007 Lexus and Camry because they could slip and trap the accelerator pedal. This, quite obviously, would be very, very bad.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration would also appreciate it if owners of the Toyota hybrids Prius and Avalon would double-check to make sure their floor mats are installed correctly.

The floor mats aren’t defective, but when stacked on-top of other floor mats they can come loose and the results are not pretty.

There were seven crashes and 12 injuries in connection with crazy pedal trapping evil floor mats. Safety officials said, “drivers traveled for miles and reached speeds exceeding 90 miles per hour before the car stopped.” Holy crap.

If you have one of these cars, Toyota is going to design a new floor mat and send it to you. Try not to die before then. Make sure your floor mats are gripping the floor!

Toyota to recall floor mats in 2007 Lexus, Camrys [Reuters]
(Photo:NHTSA)

Comments

1. iamgibson says:

I can see the head line now my floor mat pinned the pedal and I hit that poor old lady

2. warf0x0r says:

Wasn’t there a movie about this staring Kurt Russel recently where he bombed around in a camry with this problem?

3. SOhp101 says:

Yes it’s bad but when you actually read the article, you find out this occurs because idiots think that all weather mats can be just placed on top of the standard mats.

The improper installation was probably on the customer’s fault, though I am assuming that basic auto mechanics would have enough training to know that two mats shouldn’t be placed on top of each other, especially on the driver’s side floor.

Oh, so THAT’S what those hooks/holes are for! ::rolls eyes::

4. lostsynapse says:

I would think this would be a problem with other things rolling around the average car like children’s toys, ipods, paperback novellas, and whatever else is flat and slim.

5. angrytourist says:

This actually happened to my husband in his 07 Camry. Fortunately, he was on an open road, with no one in front of him. The solution of course is to put the car in neutral before slamming in to anything. BTW, SOHP101, the mats were put in by the dealership stacked. There also currently is not any real way to hook the all-weather flavored mats in to place. We found that the all-weather mats actually stay in place better on top of the regular mats, than they do just on the very smooth carpet. This recall, is good, good thing.

6. CurbRunner says:

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with the Toyota all-weather floor mats.
    The mat on the driver’s side actually slips over two hooks on the floor, just below the front of the seat, to keep them from moving around.
    I wonder why Toyota didn’t apply their own design feature like this to the Lexus mats?

7. Maurs says:

If the accelerator was trapped and you were accelerating uncontrollably for miles, why wouldn’t you just kill the engine?

8. EtherealStrife says:

@CurbRunner: Same for my 99 corolla. I actually use Costco floormats (cheaper), but I do have the hooks. Strange that it was left out on the new Camry.

9. SOhp101 says:

@angrytourist: I’m not surprised the dealership did that; my comment about technician training was intended to be more tongue-in-cheek, but I failed miserably.

I’m glad that nothing bad happened to your husband; I think this just shows how amazingly inadequate the dealership is when it comes to knowing their own vehicles. Yet another reason (on top of ridiculous maintenance/repair rates) not to trust a dealership and ALWAYS double check anything they do.

@Maurs: The problem with the ES350 is that it comes with push button ignition, and the engine can only be shut off when the transmission is in park.

I think I read on some Lexus forum that mentioned that the bottom of the all season mats has a warning telling installers to replace the standard mat, not place the all weather on top.

10. Mine slips under the pedals all the time, but I have presence of mind to keep tugging it out of the way. Of course, this could all be prevented if I would just put up the money for new mats, especially since the one I have now is pretty much just bunched up under my seat.

11. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

Man, i’d hate to be the guy that figured this out!

12. hapless says:

@SOhp101:

Still not much of a problem… Jam on the brakes to stop the vehicle, physically force it into neutral, then let it redline itself.

If your brakes can’t out-power your accelerator, you need to have your brakes checked.

13. Like Mr. Spiderjerusalem above, I have the opposite problem in my ’04 Chevy Cavalier. After so many times entering and exiting, the floor mat pushes forward under the pedals. Then it starts to curl up and prevents the pedals from being depressed 100%. Bad if I need the full accelerator for a quick getaway… and I suppose also bad if I need full braking. I tug it out of the way every couple days, which is no-doubt annoying, so the little tabs most other cars have would’ve been nice, Chevy.

14. Caroofikus says:

Honestly, who stacks floormats?

15. dieman says:

Subaru mats also need to be placed non-stacked, or else they will move around. Upside about the subaru is the transmission area is odd-shaped, so the mat sort of gets locked in pretty good.

16. tcolberg says:

All the mats in my last gen ES330 are unhooked except for the driver’s side mat. Toyota may have done away with the hooks on the all weathers initially because (from what I hear) dealers more often than not fail to install the mat hooks. I’m glad that my dealership was at least responsible enough to install hooks on the driver’s side mat. Part of the problem I’ve heard is that dealers either want to foist the installation of the hooks onto the new owner, despite the mats being a “Dealer-Installed Option”, or they simply forget that the hooks go with the mats.