Phone Shop's Name Looks Oddly Familiar

The owner of this mobile phone and accessory store in NYC has found a creative way to re-use some existing signage. It’s not exactly as genius as the “COBY” brand you see on low-rent CD players and headphones, but it gets the job done.

Other ideas for mobile store signs once the original owner has vacated: AT&Tractive Mobile, erizon, and Sprinth.

(Photo: Chris Walters)

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

This reminds me of what happened to a few of the Rhodes furniture stores here in Atlanta after they went out of busines: the new owner swapped the S and the R and they because SHODER furniture.

2. homerjay says:

Thats a hoot.

3. wring says:

lol erizon reminds me of harmacy.

4. spinachdip says:

Which reminds me, I’m surprised California Pizza Oven is still around after all these years. Has CPK even sent a cease-and-desist?

And I can’t imagine Cheesecake Factory is too thrilled about Cheesesteak Factory.

5. 4ster says:

In Virginia, we have a number of ARMADA INNs

6. drjayphd says:

Oh, yeah, there’s a ton of these sorts of things flying around. There’s a car wash in Madison called Dino’s that inexplicably reuses the Disney D, and Southington’s got Marble Slab Creamery (I think), which is only marginally more creative.

7. DAK says:

Am I the only one that doesn’t get the COBY reference? I know the brand, but apparently not the story?

8. ADM says:

reminds me of “horizon wireless” in the south bronx:

9. Yourhero88 says:

One would think that if they wanted to draw in customers, that their sign would mimic a better service provider… T-Mobile, that’s the best they could do?

10. jordy777 says:

I’m thinking

COBY
    SONY

Just my guess.

Driving in Miami, heading south on 95 into downtown, there is an awesome sign for a (D)Bays Inn hotel. The “B” is very clearly after-market.

11. spinachdip says:

Look… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s… I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.

12. homerjay says:

@spinachdip: Your royal penis is clean, your Highness.

13. Artnchicken says:

The Portland, OR office building Montgomery Park was a Montgomery Ward distribution center, but the legend is that they could only afford two new letters for the sign.

Also, near Cleveland there’s a “Red Rock Inn” that creatively avoided that problem by reusing existing letters.

14. DAK says:

@spinachdip: You are nothing short of a genius. I’m ashamed for not having thought of this first myself.

15. Chicago7 says:

Sorny.

16. Major-General says:

Magnetbox. But if you really love your tv, which sir, I know you do, you must get… the Carnavalle.

Or something close to that.

17. jollymonjeff says:

In Lido Beach NY, we have the best ice cream….Marvel. Story goes that the owner got pissed off at Tom Carvel one day and changed the letter and told Tom to go jump. They serve major brands of soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt and are packed with beachgoers during the Summer, and maintain a low profile in the winter. The owner is like a million years old, but still is busting his hump there, along with other family members.
    One of the last of the independent stores, which is why the locals love it so much.

18. Tonguetied says:

I don’t get the COBY reference either. Must be from before my time…

19. Shadowman615 says:

Kennedy Fried Chicken, anyone?

[en.wikipedia.org]

20. Nytmare says:

21. Anonymous says:

Love the resourcefulness. There is a “gentlemen’s club” close here in AL that was put in at an old restaurant space that is called HOTSKEES because that’s pretty much the only thing that you could make on the sign out of STEAKHOUSE.

22. aro says:

reminds me of the tom green episode where he goes to the mcdonalds looking place and tells them mcdonalds is stealing their sign. anyone with me?

23. shaunirving says:

When I was in college, my mom moved into a house that had previously been owned by a sign guy. He’d left the letters for KINNEY SHOES, each about 18 inches tall.

I hung them in my office as SKINNY HOSE, but unfortunately ran out of screws before I got the last two letters up.

24. Notsewfast says:

Ha! I saw this a few years ago when I went to visit my girlfriend in NY. Its right across from the Latham Hotel on 28th. I thought it was pretty sketchy, but I wansn’t reading the Consumerist at the time..

25. @jordy777:

That “Bays Inn” has been through many incarnations. Originally it just had the name covered up with a banner, then it had just the word “Days” covered up.

I think for a while they redid the sign entirely, and it was “hotel city inn” or something ridiculous. I might be making that up though.

26. Bix says:

More of the same: [www.notfoolinganybody.com]

27. Blueskylaw says:

@spinachdip:
    You must still have that movie at home, I know you didn’t remember that by heart.
    Did I just give away my age by saying that?