Max Your Cashback Combining American Express Blue Cash And Chase Freedom Cash Visa Credit Cards

Free Money Finance has a good post on combining the cashback powers of American Express Blue Cash and Chase Freedom Cash Visa Credit Cards for maximum moolah back in your pocket.

The strategy actually evolved after FMF got in a discussion with a reader over which card was better. After side-by-side spreadsheet comparisons under different spending scenarios, they tell you how you can adjust your spending habits and earn up to 2.6% cash back — an amount well above the 1% “industry standard” for cash back credit cards.

For bonus points, here’s how to de-RFID your Chase Freedom card.

How You Can Earn Over 2.6% Cash Back by Using a Combination of the American Express Blue Cash and Chase Freedom Cash Visa Credit Cards [Free Money Finance]

Comments

1. TechnoDestructo says:

The big problem I see with this is that it involves dealing with Chase.

2. Myron says:

I only wish this was more complicated.

3. RottNDude says:

Came here to post exactly what Technodestructo did… Chase is an evil, evil company.

4. SOhp101 says:

@TechnoDestructo: I have to agree. If it weren’t for the fact they give my 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store purchases, I would not be dealing with them. Get a Chase card, expect SPAM/telemarketing in your e-mail, snail mail, and phone.

5. m. mangosteen says:

that post made my brain hurt. I have the Amex Costco card now – trying to figure out if it’s better to get the other Amex (without tying my brain in knots in the process). Anyone?

6. twid says:

@SOHP101: I’ve got a Chase Amazon card. (Good card with good rewards, BTW.) I told Chase not to call me or e-mail me and they don’t. I still get lots of junk postal mail, but that’s easy to deal with. Why wouldn’t you just opt-out of their telemarketing?

7. FMF says:

@m. mangosteen:

Any idea what the base rewards are with your Costco Amex? I know the other Amex fairly well and if you know what the Costco card gets you and what you charge each year, I can give you a general idea of which is better.

8. m. mangosteen says:

@FMF: thanks! base rewards are 3% on restaurants, 2% on travel and 1% on everything else. No fee. We put everything we can on the card – right now we’re on track to spend “gasp” 45k this year.

9. FMF says:

@m. mangosteen:

I’m almost positive the other Amex will be better for you because once you spend $6,500, your rewards levels will be above those you note above (and most of your spending is above $6,500 if you charge $45k a year.)

If you want to see for sure, go to the link above on my site (the one Ben highlighted). At the end of the post, you can download a spreadsheet that allows you to put in your spending and get an estimated rebate amount back for the Blue cash card. Compare that result to what you’re earning now and you’ll have your answer for sure.

Good luck!

10. mrosedal says:

There is no way I would ever get a Chase card again. They are going to spam you with every chance they can…they have a horrible calling service with long delays. They don’t have any customer service they are the worst card I have ever had. If you want to maximize your rewards use Discover…that is the best card I have ever had and they actually answer phone calls in a timely manner.

11. TechnoDestructo says:

@SOhp101:

I’m more concerned with the randomly changing payment due dates designed to extract late fees, and then the lies and condescension when you call them about it.

“Sir, this is how credit cards work.” NO, it isn’t, and it isn’t how this card worked for the last 3 years.

12. m. mangosteen says:

@FMF: thanks! i’ll check it out. i think a new card may be in my future!

13. nctrnlboy says:

Meh…. I am satisfied with my 1% cashback , easy online payment, easy website navigation,decent phone accessibility with customer service (even though they are all indians), no spam & the overall hassle-free-ness of my Citibank dividend mastercard (even though you cant get it anymore… it changed to a “world card” or some such nonsense (I opted out of changing over to the new kind of card).

14. FLConsumer says:

No fan of Chase here either. I’ll stick with my Wachovia Visa Signature card. 1.5% back on everything, no limits on payback, etc. Since they’re my primary bank, there’s a pretty good chance they’re not going to make any changes to my account which would provide less of a benefit either. Could I do better elsewhere? Maybe. But service is worth its weight in gold to me.

15. DSDan says:

One thing to note about the AMEX Blue Cash card is that you can only redeem your rewards at the end of each year. Most other rewards cards let you redeem at each $50 back mark. No thanks, AMEX!