There's Apparently Not Enough Room For Jell-O Pudding Pops Nutritional Information

“I was out shopping the other day when a box of Popsicle brand Jell-O Pudding Pops caught my eye. My local supermarket doesn’t carry them, so I thought I’d pick up a box as a treat. When going to open the box at home, I noticed a very suspicious location for the perforated tear-away opening strip.

Rather than use the mostly-blank side of the box for this strip, they printed the perforations straight through the nutritional info. You can still read the daily percentages afterwards, but once the box is opened, all the calories and fat measurements get torn off.

You can always read this data before opening the box, but it just seems like an unnecessarily sneaky trick for an already not-so-good-for-you dessert, especially with that blank space available on the opposite end of the box.”

The suggestion to place nutritional information on the tear-off strip should have caused a chuckle at a product design meeting before being dismissed as patently absurd. Just as Reader Stephen recommends, there is an alternate location for the delicious information:Hmm%2C%20here%27s%20an%20idea.jpg
Jell-O Pudding Pops Nutritional Information [PeerTrainer]

Comments

1. Digitamer81 says:

I’ve learned that after years of trying to find those Jello pudding pops, I’ve only been able to find them at Wal-Mart. I don’t care that the nutrition facts are ripped through, I loved them as a child, and now that I’ve found them somewhere else, I’m going to love them as an adult. Kinda like Lucky Charms.
    Anyone know if they have just vanilla or swirl packs? I don’t like the chocolate ones alone, and I can only find the variety packs.
    I say read the facts before you open the box, if you don’t like the lack of nutrition, then don’t eat the pudding pop. Just please, don’t ruin those lovely popsicles for everyone else LOL.
    Steven

2. HungryGrrl says:

Possibly there was a production error and the boxes got put into the folding/perferating machine backwards.

Jello Pudding Pops are the best and I’m glad they’re back, even though they changed the shape of them. The best thing about them is when a thin layer of ice forms on the outside of the pop… mmm.

Steven, I’ve never seen anything but the mixed packs.

3. Shadowfire says:

Oh Jesus Christ. Usually people read the nutrition information before they even make the purchase!

Also, with that tear strip removed, I can still read the information well enough to know what it says.

Anything else we want to bitch about? Roads without signs warning that “lying in the road may cause death?”

4. kingoman says:

The time to be reading the nutritional information is BEFORE you eat any of them anyway. ;-)

One could open the other end of the box.

But I agree with the original poster, this smells like it was completely planned and very sneaky.

For those with torn boxes:
    [www.icecreamusa.com]

5. etinterrapax says:

I really doubt this was intentional. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, you know? And if it was, I’d rather they do this than surreptitiously reduce the package size.

I thought they were gone forever. Too bad they’re only at Wal-Mart. I won’t be buying any there.

6. DePaulBlueDemon says:

Probably not intentional, definitely not news-worthy.

7. camille_javal says:

I agree with the poster who hypothesized that the boxes may have been put in the machine backwards – it’s a minor mistake that wouldn’t be worth the expense of redoing a job. They aren’t *that* bad for you, anyway, in the scheme of frozen desserts-on-a-stick – if you’re buying something frozen on a stick, unless it’s actually marketed as being particularly healthy or natural (although sometimes you should be far more suspicious in that case), you know what you’re getting – and usually it’s a lot worse than 90 calories and 3 grams of fat.

8. TVarmy says:

I guess this could be bad if you had to carefully control your intake of certain nutrients, such as if you were taking Alli and didn’t want to reach the “brown point” (over 30% of calories from fat in your meal).

What’s even scarier/sadder is that the nutrition information gets torn off. If someone with food allergies came over, they’d have to be left out for no reason when everyone else is eating a popsicle.

But I agree that this is no conspiracy. Just mild incompetence.

9. Don Roberto says:

“Attention Attention! I need attention. As a child, my jello pudding-eating butt didn’t get enough attention. Consequently, I’m making a big brouhaha over such trivial things”

10. mrmysterious says:

Forget the nutritional information you have to share what store sells Jell-O pudding pops! I’ve not seen them in over 10 years and I would love to pick some up. I love them! That’s a real consumer issue…where to buy good frozen treats. Crying about the nutritional label placement is not.

11. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

Bah…forget the nutritional information. There’s a bigger conspiracy to uncover! Not only did they change the shape of the pops, they reduced the size by about 25%. I was totally disappointed when I bought a box and had to eat two of them! LOL

12. Bay State Darren says:

Yes-Because without the nutritional info right there in black-and-white, people might not be able to figure out if a Jell-O Pudding Pop frozen treat is unhealthy. I’m pretty if you’re buying these thing, you’re not gonna read that info anyways.

13. Imperialist says:

Like other posters have mentioned, people read nutritional information before buying something. I know I sure as hell do.

It makes my head hurt to think this person even made the effort to break out the camera for this “finding”.

14. cabinaero says:

Disclaimer: I am employed in the packaging industry. 90% of the work I do is food packaging. The company I work for has the Unilever account but the location I work at does not handle this product line.

FDA guidelines require that, if at all possible, the nutrition facts and other regulatory labeling is placed on the panel to the right of the “principle display panel” – i.e, the front of the box. If that panel is too small, or if you’re dealing with a very small or unusual package, that information can be placed in other locations.

Moving the nutrition facts to the left panel, as identified by the submitter, isn’t even a consideration. There is nothing in the guidelines which prohibits printing over a tear strip as long as the panel is readable before the package is opened. (Speaking as someone who looks at processed food labels everyday, don’t eat that crap.)

BTW, if the cartons were diecut incorrectly, they would have never been allowed on store shelves. It would screwup automated folding and loading procedures as well as leave you with a crappy looking box.

15. sonichghog says:

It is brilliant. You can’t open it without seeing the nutrition info. You can’t say they made you fat and you never saw the info now—to get into it, you have to see it…

16. FLConsumer says:

We all know people buy Jello anything because they’re trying to eat healthy. Yeah, right.

17. apophenia says:

Amy’s Macaroni & Cheese has the nutrition info in the same spot.

18. vanilla-fro says:

Filth Flarn Filth Bill Cosby would be pissed

19. Buran says:

@Don Roberto: Considering the debate over things like putting the info on menus, making it available in the first place, expanding it, etc., I think it’s worth a story. Especially considering how Wendy’s etc. don’t think you should have it.

20. rg says:

Funny, I never can get those dang zipper things to open anyway, so I just open the box the old fashioned way. I would say, if you think you’re going to want to re-visit that “nutritional info” at a later time, don’t use the zipper. What a waste of a story this was!

21. RagingTowers says:

COSBY ANGRY!!

22. nctrnlboy says:

@Digitamer81:

I tried them a while back (after discovering them in a local grocery store)…. I was dissapointed as they dont taste like the they did when they first came out long ago. I miss the originals. :(

23. allstarecho says:

Yeah, the “new” Jello Pudding Pops aren’t like the old ones.. don’t taste the same, have shrunk in size and don’t have that “ice coating” that forms when eating one. I was disappointed when trying the “new”. The obvious thing is that it’s made by a different company now. Because they suck now, I could care less where the nutritional labels is placed as I won’t be buying them. I do miss them.. the chocolate versions and the banana versions. They were soooo good. The “new” doesn’t taste anything like the old. Don’t waste your time or money.

24. MandM813 says:

@kingoman: Thanks Kingoman! I had forgotten how much i loved these when i was a kid until seeing this article! thanks to you, now i know they only sell them at winn-dixie in my area! which is why ive never seen them, since i hate winndixie…. but i will make a special stop to get these!

25. perfectly_cromulent says:

i’m just delighted to discover i’m not the only adult who still finds these irresistible, even if they aren’t quite what they used to be…

26. Protector says:

I can’t believe some of the crap that’s making it to the front page of The Consumerist.

27. Mom2Talavera says:

unilever owns Popsicle.
    I never by Unilever ice cream/frozen treats. They use shady ingredients like genetically modified fish antifreeze proteins which of course wont even be found on the nutrition label!

28. a says:

“Furthermore, I think Jell-O should personally call me weeks later to remind me how many calories I had eaten weeks before.” — Surprised the article didn’t say this, too.

*yawn*

29. Alvis says:

Maybe it was just a die problem, but until I see a box printed otherwise…

Even if that is the proper side of the box for the Nutritional Facts label, why not leave it there and place the opening strip on the other side, then?

Many of us live with other people and share shopping duties, be it with a family or roomates. Only the first one gets to see the caloric count and grams of various varieties of fats before the box is opened; the individual wrappers have no such information on them.

30. ian937262 says:

lets simplify this for you…

90% sugar
    10% preservatives

They’re shit for you. You know this already.

31. Don Roberto says:

OH BOO-HISS! Hint: They probably ain’t the healthiest thing on the planet. And heck, I could even tell you the nutritional info from here, AND I’m A BIT TIPSY AFTER A SATURDAY NIGHT’S WORTH OF CLUBS. Gee, I never knew I could dance salsa.

ANYWAY, BUTCH UP! While I’m here: About the title “consumerist” … ah, we’ll save that one for another night.

32. Don Roberto says:

@Buran: The info is there (See previous comment from the “Don”)

Buran, I’ve been known to be a bit persnickety, but writing to the consumerist, and taking up their valuable time with such trivialities… for something that’s already there, that should’ve been read, as other posters have noted, before opening and scarfing down those oh-so-delish jello pops (btw, do those taste anything like the bluebell banana bomb pops, ’cause those are the best artificial banana pops i’ve ever had, and I can’t seem to get them at the grocery store, only at the mills outlet malls.).

Great GE gas range. I’d say it’s time to get you a dual fuel stainless steel, baby.

Props to the consumerist, anyway, seriously, I read you guys everyday. Missed you over the holiday weekend. Hope I can still read you when I’m in ku8.

33. RandomHookup says:

Wow, you guys are pretty harsh. It’s a bad design period. Because of food allergies, there are times when you need to know the ingredients even after you open it (ever had visitors?) If this were donated to the food bank I volunteer at, we would have to throw away if the pull tab were gone, even though the food would meet all the requirments as good food.

34. girly says:

I never noticed, because it’s so easy to open it from the other side anyway!

35. girly says:

ALLSTARECHO, I agree with you. They are not the same. The old version was much better!

36. Myron says:

Slow news day? Maybe we could get another 20 or 30 articles about how to become a millionaire by saving money.

37. mrearly2 says:

If you’re worried about nutrition, why would you buy that junk-food?

38. Brocklesocks says:

@MREARLY2 – I think you just ended the discussion :)

Also, as a packaging designer – things like putting the nutrition facts on is just an afterthought a lot of the time. The designer focuses more on visual appeal, rather than all the mouse copy and legal crap. So sometimes, something like this slips by.