Kroger Recalls Store Brand Potato Salad For E. Coli

Kroger has announced the recall of their store brand “mustard” and “southern-style” potato salad because it may contain dangerous e. coli bacteria. Oh no!

What if you’ve eaten it?

Most people become ill from e. coli after about 4 days. The main symptom of e. coli is bloody diarrhea accompanied by abdominal cramps. For more information about the symptoms and effects of e. coli, check out this Q&A from the CDC.

The potato salad in question has a sell by date of Sep. 5. If you have questions for Kroger, you should feel free to give them a call at 866-221-4141.

Mmm, delicious e. coli!

Kroger recalls some potato salad on E. coli concerns
[MarketWatch]
(Photo:axinar)

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

But did they charge you tax when you paid with your food benefits card?

2. Kezzerxir says:

I’ve eaten that stuff before. =X

3. PenguinBlue says:

Kroger potato salad is actually just rejected Kroger personal lubricant.

4. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I may be fastidious, but I treat mayonnaise and products made with it like raw eggs. I never eat mayonnaise or anything made with mayonnaise unless it is properly cooked or unless I made the mayonnaise myself fresh for the recipe and I know exactly where and how it’s been stored until serving.

5. timmus says:

Well, GEE, maybe Kroger wants to explain how fecal bacteria got into the potato salad? This is not just about potato salad sitting out for a length of time; it’s about fecal bacteria getting into Kroger’s products.

6. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@timmus:

It’s Pretty Obvious(tm) that someone didn’t wash their hands after using the bathroom.

7. NoraL says:

I like to get food poisoning from potato salad the old-fashioned way: by letting it sit out for hours in the hot sun to develop salmonella. Kroger has robbed me of that pleasure.

8. Juliekins says:

@speedwell: Store-bought mayo is pasteurized and pretty safe. I’m not saying you’re wrong to treat mayo carefully, but of all the food safety things to get het up about it’s probably something that could move down on your list a little.

Bleh. Yet another reason to not eat grocery store potato salad, aside from the fact that it’s always bland and gross.

9. spinachdip says:

Without getting in the blame-the-victim territory, and while it doesn’t absolve Kroger or help the consumers who have already bought the product, this is just another reason for making easy-to-make stuff yourself.

Homemade isn’t 100% safe of course, but you at least have more control over the ingredients, portion size and the preparation, and it’s way, way cheaper than buying it packaged.

10. HrPingui says:

Why eat american-style potato salad, when you can enjoy delicious mayo-free german potato salad (there are also cream versions for people who still want a heavy salad).

11. voltronguy says:

I literally brought this to a BBQ this weekend! I just had to email our hosts to throw it out and notify the people who attended. It’s a good thing were all friends and it was a relatively small gathering.

12. monkey33 says:

I really like the Kroger brand mustard potato salad and the recall is the reason that I tried my hand at home made for the first time this weekend.

13. FOOD = POISON

The main symptom of e. coli is bloody diarrhea accompanied by abdominal cramps.

So, nothing different than what happens any other day?

14. kenposan says:

But, but, I love Kroger, HACK, Cough, Wheez, potato, hack, potato sal

15. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@FitJulie: Huh? How dare you rain on my parading of my cordon-bleu ability to make fresh mayonnaise at the drop of a hat. Ha, ha :) You’re right about mayonnaise from a jar being pasteurized, but I don’t trust it after the jar’s been opened. I do admit that is a bit prissy.