Bagged Spinich Recalled For Salmonella

Metz Fresh LLC has recalled bagged spinach sold in the continental US and Canada after one sample tested positive for salmonella. There have been no illnesses reported so far.

The salmonella-tainted spinach is sold under the label “Metz Fresh.” The recall affects 10 and 16 oz bags as well as 4-2.5 lb. and 4 lb. cartons. If you have Metz Spinach, check the bag for these tracking codes: 12208114, 12208214 and 12208314.

According to the FDA, most of the spinach has been intercepted before it reached the marketplace.

“Nothing is more important to Metz Fresh than the safety of our consumers, period,” said Andrew Cumming, President of Metz Fresh. “As soon as we learned of the presumptive positive test, we directed all customers to hold all boxes of the spinach affected as a precaution. Now, with this positive test confirmation, there is no question that we would recall and destroy all spinach bearing these three codes.”

The positive test came during independent lab testing Metz Fresh conducts on all of its products. Through its labeling and numbering system, Metz Fresh has already tracked, located and put ‘holds’ on the vast majority of the cartons of spinach affected. That spinach will not be released into the marketplace.

Bagged greens, why do you always try to harm us?

Metz Fresh Announces Voluntary Recall of Spinach [FDA]

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

Expect a sudden pulling of all brands of bagged spinach followed by aggressive promotion of all brands in about 2 months. More free bagged spinach for me!

2. clickable says:

Someone needs some brain food, kids. Or at least a spell-check on that headline. (Spinich?)

3. spinachdip says:

Considering the apparent quality control issues, what are the advantages to buying pre-bagged greens? With bagged greens, you can’t control the quantity, you can’t buy local and you pay more. Because they’re pre-cut and pre-washed?

Oh, hey, I have “spinach” in my screen name and I’m commenting on a story about spinach. How ’bout that.

4. endlessendres says:

who actually eats spinich?

5. bnosach says:

Where can I get some spinich? I checked my local store, but no luck. I think they recalled all of it (*sad).

6. Buran says:

What’s spinich?

7. spinachdip says:

@Buran: He’s the Democratic presidential hopeful from Ohio.

8. WindowSeat says:

I grow my own s-p-i-n-a-c-h these days, ditto for lettuce. If I were buying spinach at the store, I’d go for the bunches of it that you wash yourself; the odds of getting a bad bunch are lower, but one bunch of bad spinach can contaminate the entire output of a packing plant.

9. vanilla-fro says:

Doesn’t washing your spinach or cooking it get rid of this problem?

Maybe thats why I get the canned stuff like Popeye. That and the fact that my forearms have never looked better.

10. beyond says:

This is the second time this year. I always wash the spinach first but maybe its just safer to cook it.

11. WindowSeat says:

@vanilla-fro: The problem with salmonella infected spinach seems to be run-off from adjacent dairy farm and feedlots, the tainted water is taken up by the roots of the spinach so that the bacteria can’t be washed away. The temperatures required to can spinach would certainly kill the salmonella, but who cooks their spinach at home for 90 minutes at 11 psi?

12. Imaginary_Friend says:

Canned spinach is an abomination. F*ck Popeye. I can’t believe people voluntarily eat it that way.

Windowseat, any tips for growing spinach? I’d like to try that. My tomatoes kicked @ss this year, so I’m ready to try growing something new.

13. WindowSeat says:

@Imaginary_Friend: The trick to spinach seems to be temperature, once it gets into the high 70′s low 80′s it wants to bolt. I grow mine under row covers to keep the bugs and critters out. I use a variety called “Merlo Nero” from Franchi.(growitalian.com has it I think)

I sow it freely and then cover the seeds with about 1/2 inch of compost. A couple of weeks after the plants develop true leaves I thin them to give about 2-3 inches growing space, the thinned plants end up in salads, nothing wasted. Spinach is an early Spring, late Fall crop so you have time to plant some now depending on where you live.

Here’s some pics from my Spring crop

14. AcidReign says:

Here we go again. Damnit! This time last year, I couldn’t get fresh spinach for my beach trip. Everyone in my family looks forward to spinach salad, and fresh seafood. Last year, we had to make do with spring mix, which later, officials said shouldn’t have been eaten, either.

Here’s hoping this thing is confined to Metz, and doesn’t end up with all fresh spinach getting pulled! Or at least, the recalls hold off for two and a half weeks…

15. asherchang says:

I’ll be really mad if the salmonella came from corn-fed cows’ fecal matter leaking into the watering systems again.