Start Shopping For Thanksgiving Airfare On Aug 22

According to the fare prediction scientists at Farecast.com, Aug 22nd marks the date to start shopping for Thanksgiving plane tickets. They shared these tips and stats about turkey-time airfare:

• Best deals Aug 22-Sept 15
  • Last year fare sales in many markets starting mid-Sept
  • Nov 21-25 Will bes most expensive, with an average national price of $414.
  • Extend your trip to Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving to save $60-$100
  • Departure date affects price less than return date, for example, leaving on Monday before Thanksgiving will only save around $30
  • (Photo: foundphotoslj)

Comments

1. gibsonic says:

PRO TIP: Don’t fly into Denver. (I hear they get snowed in for days around Thanksgiving)

2. trecool95 says:

Start shopping for x-mas airfare now. I got a round trip ticket from Baltimore to Chicago for $118.

3. B says:

Bonus cooking tip: Be sure to flash your gang sign at the Turkey as it comes out of the oven. Wait, is that the Marin Van Buren boys sign?

4. sweetchuck says:

To keep an eye on price fluctuations, check out farecast.com. It’s helped me out a couple of times.

5. AcidReign says:

Another dried-out oven turkey. Ick. Going to the trouble to smoke the turkey is worth it. Frying is good, too, but I don’t have the guts to have an oil/propane bomb set up on my driveway!

6. autismvox says:

I already bought my tickets for Christmas—-to go from the east coast via Philadelphia to Oakland. All of the lowest fares were gone from SWA.

7. SybilDisobedience says:

I don’t care about the story much – never go anywhere for Thanksgiving – but the photo did give me a laugh.

8. Trackback says:

The Consumerist.com website has neatly summarized some analysis done using Farecast.com. I#8217;m the first to stand on the shoulders of giants so use this information as you will.

9. leecidivo says:

The key to a good turkey is to brine it for a day: soak it in a water/salt/sugar combo, then coat it in fat (preferably duck), and periodically baste the turkey with its juices.

Say goodbye to the dry, cotton-mouth inducing turkey you’re familiar with, and hello to succulent, mouth-watering goodness.