Peter Pan Peanut Butter Coming Back For Your Children!

After several months of absence from store shelves due to a much-publicized salmonella problem, Peter Pan brand peanut butter is back, this time with a “100% satisfaction guarantee” and a redesigned container. The new batches are coming from a different production facility than the one that led to 625 Peter Pan-related salmonella infections in February of this year. So how does ConAgra Foods protect their brand and spin the product re-launch without reminding consumers why there needs to be a re-launch in the first place?

Like this:

Consumers and retailers alike have been eagerly anticipating the return of Peter Pan Peanut Butter, the brand that consumers have loved for nearly 80 years, and the wait is over.

To be fair, salmonella-tainted peanut butter is a rare occurrence. According to the Wall Street Journal (subscribers only), “the only previously known salmonella outbreak in peanut butter occurred in Australia during the mid-1990s.” (We hate to break it to you, WSJ, but that’s called Vegemite and it’s supposed to taste that way. Murdoch isn’t going to be impressed.)

We’re especially pleased by the 100% satisfaction guarantee, because that means if we catch salmonella this time, we can get our peanut butter money back.

Peter Pan peanut butter returns to shelves after salmonella outbreak [Chicago Tribune]

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. Wormfather says:

::shutter::

2. SaveMeJeebus says:

Something about the words “taint free” on that bread disgusts me.

3. SaveMeJeebus says:

Something about the words “taint free” on the bread disgusts me. Store brand PB&Js for me anyways thanks.

4. SaveMeJeebus says:

Effing disappearing comments.

5. Sidecutter says:

@Wormfather: Shutter? You’re closing your windows because of peanut butter?

6. So how does ConAgra Foods protect their brand and spin the product re-launch without reminding consumers why there needs to be a re-launch in the first place?

F that! Just gimmie muh freakin’ peanut butter!

@SaveMeJeebus: It’s the dark shade of brown it’s in. As in “peanut butter isn’t that brown” brown.

7. CaptainSemantics says:

In a perfect world, ConAgra would approach it honestly. Along the lines of,

“Hey, some really bad stuff went down. But we fixed it. We took this problem seriously and now feel confident that our product is back to normal. And to prove it: look, we have a new design. Now it’s *obvious* which is salmonella-free. So please enjoy our peanut butter and hopefully this won’t happen again.”

Notice how I said “in a perfect world.”

8. vanilla-fro says:

“Taint Free” sounds like it might be a medical condition.

9. timmus says:

I’ll just stick to my 365 Organic peanut butter, thank you. I haven’t eaten ConAgra since the late 1990s when I was eating a Banquet TV dinner that tasted like ass, and deduced that anything made by ConAgra tasted like garbage.

10. c26nyc says:

All men have taints.

11. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

The plant also will receive a new roof and modern equipment.

So….the roof had holes, and they were using equipment that can’t be considered “modern”?

12. forever_knight says:

yum! peter pan pb is my favorite, so yes, i am looking forward to this. also, i received a refund for the two jars that were in the recall.

an open note to consumerist community: submit comments once, not twice. is it really the end of the world if your precious post doesn’t show up immediately? of course not. if for some reason you can’t follow this simple advice, definitely don’t post a comment about your duplicate post. we’re not idiots. we can see you posted twice for some reason.

damn.

13. you only think your peanut butter isn’t made from taint…

14. joeblevins says:

So, the Peanut Butter is for my taint?!?

15. CumaeanSibyl says:

Everybody buy Jif instead! Jif is tasty, lovable, and 100% salmonella-free!

(why no, I don’t own stock in Smuckers… why do you ask?)

16. markwm says:

@CumaeanSibyl:
    Jif is too salty. Peter Pan is the only peanut butter that should be consumed, unless it’s one of the ilovepeanutbutter.com peanut butters (I’m a sucker for the dark chocolate). But now that my Peter Pan is coming back, I’m a happy man.

17. mopar_man says:

It’s rather enjoyable if you have a dog and you put peanut butter on your taint…

18. Framling says:

I love Peter Pan because it’s the only kind I’ve found that comes in ‘crunchy,’ instead of ‘ultra-mega-kill-you-crunchy XTreme edition Turbo,’ where you open the jar and it’s just peanuts.

19. Hobo-NC says:

I guess “taint free” is better than “free taints.”

20. RadicalBender says:

Oh thank God that Peter Pan is finally coming back. I’ve been dying here suffering through a jar of…*shudder*…Jif.

21. rg says:

Screw the children, I want my damn Reduced Fat Crunchy back!!

22. ptkdude says:

I’m a Skippy man… always have been, always will be.

23. notebook says:

‘Taint-Free’ Makes it sound special. I’ll laugh if the price goes up in a few days.

24. hoo_foot says:

Tylenol staged a successful comeback complete with beneficial improvements after the arsenic scare in the ’80s. No reason to believe that Peter Pan peanut butter can’t do the same.

25. junkmail says:

My wife had some pretty major difficulty during childbirth, requiring some Spartan-like swordplay from the OB. She’s now taint free too.

26. Bill Brasky says:

-Ahem-
    -now Where he at?
    Where he at?
    Where he at?
    Where he at?
    Now There he go
    There he go
    There he go
    There he go

Do the Peanut butter jelly
    Peanut butter jelly
    Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat
    Do the Peanut butter jelly
    Peanut butter jelly
    Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat-

I feel better.

27. CumaeanSibyl says:
  28. Antediluvian says:

After learning about commercial peanut butters and all the crap they put in them, I’ve sworn off them and only use natural peanut butter now. And not the Skippy pseudo-natural garbage. All the extra fat in mainstream peanut butter is totally unnecessary.

Store natural peanut butter upside-down in the fridge to keep the oil from rising to the surface.

29. Clobberella says:

@Antediluvian:
    I feel so ashamed. I’ve been buying natural peanut butter for years and it has never ONCE occured to me to store it upside down. It just goes to show, no matter how smart you think you are, you’re not. I’m going to slink off to the fridge now to store my peanut butter properly. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

30. Trai_Dep says:

Finally – an excuse to go out in public wearing my green tights again!

31. Nicococure says:

True about upside down storage. I’ve never bought partially hydrogenated oil-influenced peanut butter. I grew up on natural pb, and as a child always felt envious of the other kids. But as an adult, I realize mom was helping me avoid the wicked TRANS FATS!

32. DanGross says:

As far as the issue of “trust” and “image” go, am I alone in thinking that they wouldn’t bother trying to “return” unless they were absolutely thorough in fixing the things that were wrong? If so, then wouldn’t Peter Pan now be safer than the peanut butter from other companies who haven’t bothered doing a full-facility health and safety audit? I know, in theory…

In this interim period I’ve found Skippy to be a viable substitute for PP. Could never stand Jif…

33. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

“this time with a “100% satisfaction guarantee” and a redesigned container.”.

What you meant to say was that they came out with something than looks totally different than before so people dont look at it and say, “hey that was on the news a few months ago for Salmonella poisoning”..its called marketing..

34. ShadowFalls says:

I always go for the Reese’s. Tastes good and is made by Hershey’s.

35. jrdnjstn78 says:

I miss Peter Pan. I liked the reduced fat one and you didn’t have to pay $4 bucks for it either. Glad they are finally coming back!

36. mammalpants says:

why does anyone eat anything from a company called ConAgra? UGH! it SOUNDS like salmonella!

37. SuperD67 says:

I sent a note to ConAgra on Aug 1 and got the following reply:
    ===========================================
    August 2, 2007
    Dear Mr. F,

Thank you for contacting us regarding our voluntary recall for our peanut butter products.

Peter Pan Peanut Butter will begin appearing in stores in late summer. The first varieties that will be available to consumers will be Creamy and Chunky. At this time we do not have specifics about when other varieties will be back in stores.

Thank you for the loyalty to our brand.

Sincerely,

ConAgra Foods Consumer Affairs

38. DjDynasty says:

Yay, No taint in the PB, I can once again, Put Peter back in my mouth!