FDA Announces Nationwide Recall Of 15,000 Cases of French Cut Green Beans

Hi there, green bean lovers! It looks like it’s not just Albertson’s that’s having green bean issues this morning. The FDA has announced a nationwide recall of 15,000 cases of green beans manufactured by Lakeside foods of Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

Why? Some of the cans may have been under processed and some may have leaked. No illnesses have been reported with these green beans, but don’t eat them or even open them. Botulism is serious business.

From the FDA:

Lakeside is asking consumers who have cans of the French Style Green Beans with the following in the top line of the can code to return them unopened to the place of purchase. EAA5247, EAA5257, EAA5267, EAA5277, EAB5247, EAB5257, ECA5207, ECA5217, ECA5227, ECA5297, ECB5207, ECB5217, ECB5227 and ECB5307.

The product was distributed in the following 20 states AL, AZ CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, NC, NY, OH, OK, TN, TX, VA, WI and Canada. The product was sold with the following labels: ALBERTSON’S, HAPPY HARVEST, BEST CHOICE, FOOD CLUB, BOGOPA, VALU TIME, HILL COUNTRY FARE, HEB, LAURA LYNN, KROGER, NO NAME, NORTH PRIDE, SCHNUCKS, SHOP N SAVE, SHOPPERS VALU, CUB FOODS, DIERBERGS, FLAVORITE, IGA, BEST CHOICE AND THRIFTY MAID.

We disagree with Lakeside and the FDA’s advice to return cans that have possibly been infected with botulism. The proper way to dispose of botulism infected cans is to double bag them and throw them away. Double bagging prevents the botulism toxin from harming anyone once the can explodes.

Do not bring botulism cans to the supermarket!

Lakeside Foods Issues Nationwide Recall of French Style Green Beans [FDA]

How To Dispose Of Botulism Infected Cans [Centers For Disease Control]

Comments

1. gibsonic says:

i wasn’t aware the consumerist was staffed with experts with far greater experience and knowledge than the FDA.

learn something new everyday.

2. Cowboys_fan says:

If I bought green beans it was by accident and I’m taking them back anyways.

3. Papercutninja says:

I see the beans surrendered to botulism. Ba-ZING!

4. SaveMeJeebus says:

Mmm… forbidden botulism beanz…

5. Harlan says:

And for the love of all this is holy, buy frozen green beans, not disgusting canned ones!

6. kelmeister says:

Holy crap, I’m POSITIVE we’ve got these at home. They’re always on sale two for a dollar at Kroger.

7. bohemian says:

When I saw the headline it was a toss up between speculation that these were from China, improperly canned or had glass in them.

I am opting more for buying lots of fresh in season and freezing them myself. At least I have a clue where they came from.

8. shoegazer says:

So are we starting the Manitowoc, Wisconsin Poison Train now?

9. gibsonic says:

i blame the french.

10. j-o-h-n says:

It seems that a lot of these recalls lately have been multi-brand.

So it seems that one amusing aspect of all these recalls is that they pretty much are admitting that all these brands: ALBERTSON’S, HAPPY HARVEST, BEST CHOICE, FOOD CLUB, BOGOPA, VALU TIME, HILL COUNTRY FARE, HEB, LAURA LYNN, KROGER, NO NAME, NORTH PRIDE, SCHNUCKS, SHOP N SAVE, SHOPPERS VALU, CUB FOODS, DIERBERGS, FLAVORITE, IGA, BEST CHOICE AND THRIFTY MAID. are the same beans and if you’re going to buy green beans in a can (ick) you might as well buy whichever is cheapest.

11. tweaked says:

“if you’re going to buy green beans in a can (ick) you might as well buy whichever is cheapest.”

Methinks those who are desperate/stingy enough to buy green beans in a can to begin with… are already buying whatever is the cheapest.

12. tweaked says:

oh. and if these people follow your advice and just pitch the cans… how are they going to get their 67 cents back??

spreading botulism is a small price to pay for a couple of quarters.

13. timmus says:

We need the tag AMERICAN BOTULISM TRAIN.

14. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@Papercutninja: Well they are French after all….

15. marsneedsrabbits says:

Well… okay. This is the summer I am destined to go nuts and worry myself sick about everything we buy or consume.
    I just looked in the cabinet, and there they are, the little green devils, sitting there quietly, threatening me from shelf.
    Five cans or so, Kroger brand.
    I just got rid of all of my Lexan bottles after long deliberate thought because of the concerns about Bisphenol-A, and had begun considering purchasing frozen veggies for the same reason (lined cans emit small amounts of Bisphenol-A).
    I guess this cinches it. Out to the trash these cans go, and frozen veggies from now on.

16. geeniusatwrok says:

ugh. who the hell buys canned vegetables? they’re smelly, mushy, leached of nutrients and loaded with salt. frozen ones don’t cost THAT much more.

17. SJActress says:

Frozen vegetables are flash frozen and every bit as good and healthy for you as fresh (they’re great when your veggie isn’t in season).
    When you DO buy frozen, be sure the veggies aren’t frozen into a solid rock. That means they’ve thawed and refrozen–and you don’t know how long they were thawed or how warm they got!

Oh, and canned vegetables are gross. Shame on you for buying them.

18. geeniusatwrok says:

@confusedrabbit: I was about to do the same thing then realized all the water I guzzle at the office comes out of 5-gal Poland Spring plastic jugs so there was little point in pitching the Nalgene bottle.

shtool… that stuff’s awfully hard to avoid.

19. forever_knight says:

what’s with this elitist stance that can veggies are crap? all these posts are like a circle jerk of frozen and fresh veggie pumpers. jeeze.

20. threlkelded says:

Holy crap, were all you people raised on farms?

I grew up eating canned veggies. Why? Because I was raised by a single mother and they’re cheaper, not to mention more convenient.

Chill on the veggie snobbery. Jesus.

21. Havok154 says:

@threlkelded:
    If the taste fact that they are not really that good for you doesn’t turn you off of canned veggies, how about the deadly botulism that comes free?

22. night_sky says:

@Havok154:
    Or the salmonella that comes free with your “fresh” spinach? Sheesh, lots of things can be contaminated, not just canned foods. I for one, like canned green beans (I eat them when I was young so I have a taste for them). I like fresh ones too, but it depends on what I’m in the mood for.

Anyway, if ya’ll don’t like canned green beans, then fine. This article is not warning you. Those of us who do, though, will find this info useful.