American Airlines Fined $231,000 For Unsafe Work Conditions At O'Hare

American Airlines faces fines of up to $231,000 for unsafe work conditions that include fall hazards, electrical and fire hazards, hygiene issues, blocked exits and storage of oxygen and acetylene cylinders, according to the Chicago Tribune.

American was inspected after being selected by OSHA following a review of their occupational injury and illness data.

We don’t know about you, but it makes us uneasy to hear that an airline is being irresponsible with the safety of its employees. How then, does it feel about the safety of its customers? If the employees aren’t doing their jobs in a safe environment, what makes you think you’re flying in one?

Fine line for American [Chicago Tribune]
(Photo:drewski2112)

Comments

1. veterandem says:

Had to comment on this one. As I work in the Environmental Safety and Health field, I can tell you that these are pretty common infractions during an OSHA inspection (even the O2 and acetylene cylinders). The fall hazard standards are for anything over 6 feet, which is the height of a childrens slide found in most backyards. If you think this is bad, just take a look at any hospital! They are the most unsafe work environment in America (granted you’re not going to plummet 35,000 feet to your death in a hospital), with all of these same issues. And about 80-90% of most hospitals do not have a Safety Manager, only a Risk Manager. Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there since there was a topic I could respond to that realted to what I do.

2. Wormfather says:

But if they move the stuff, wont the terroists win?

3. Major-General says:

Reminds me of a quip from an airline executive: the customer believes that if they have a dirty tray table that we don’t maintain our engines correctly.

4. el-brazo-onofre says:

I used to work for a large corporation that provided computer support services. The company was focused on providing excellent service for the client and the internal support was known for being horrible. Therefore, I don’t equate unsafe procedures for employees with unsafe procedures for clients.

5. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@Major-General: Well its kinda indicitive of thier level of concern in the buis. When I go to a new resturant I go to the bathroom before I touch anything…dirty bathroom not eating there. If they don’t bother to clean the bathroom what makes you think they clean the kitchen?

6. yg17 says:

It’s nice that they got caught and all, but we’re forgetting the most important issue….did they keep those very dangerous sippy cups and blocks of cheese off their planes?

7. IRSistherootofallevil says:

$231k isn’t enough! Make that $23 million and watch as the airlines squirm.

8. jeffj-nj says:

Great. Just great. Now AA tickets are going to be more expensive for awhile. [Sigh]

9. asten77 says:

FYI – The link is to the Chicago Sun Times, which is an entirely different newspaper than the stated [Chicago Tribune].