Back-To-School State Sales Tax Holidays

Just in time for back to school, Raising4Boys has posted a list of which states have state sales tax holidays. He lists when they occur, what goods are applicable, and if there’ s a maximum dollar amount. We’ve always found that state-sales-tax-free white glue is better for peeling off your hands…

2007 State Sales Tax Holidays for Back-to-School Shopping [Raising4Boys]
(Photo: foundphotoslj)

Comments

1. alpha says:

From Consumerist:
    “She lists when they occur, what goods are applicable…”

From the actual blog:
    “Posted by dad at 6:05 am in Money”

Must be one of those new-age families? Or Consumerist is just sucking as has been usual lately.

2. Ben Popken says:

TO DO:

* Exercise.
    * Delete letter S to maintain name on Press Club guest list.
    * Add Alpha to troll watchlist.

3. nequam says:

@Ben Popken: Ha!

Seriously, I have mixed feelings about tax holidays. The problem is that it encourages people to time purchases for when they won’t necessarily get the best deal. For instance, the stores know they wll have high traffic without needing to offer really great prices.

Also, a 5% discount (or whatever the tax rate in your state is) is hardly big enough for you to rush to a store (and stand in a long line) on a normal day. Most people, for instance, would not say “hey, Staples is having a 5% sale!!! Get in the car!” Factor in the ceilings and you may not be saving much at all.

Plus, it’s important to remember that you are still paying the sticker price. If you went to a 10%-off sale on a regular day, you would save 10% of the sticker plus a proprotional amount of the tax. On a tax holiday, you merely save the tax.

Still, I suppose it’s better than nothing. And it’s stuff you need.

4. castlecraver says:

Hey, I know a place where its a sales tax holiday 365 days a year.

It’s called “the internet.”

Yeah, yeah. I know. You’re supposed to report them…

5. savvy says:

I happened to be traveling once, and stumbled into shopping during the sales tax holiday in my destination state. I was AMAZED at the sales… very deep discounts, lots of coupons, all on top of no tax. Shopping was horrible though, because everyone and their brother was out buying tons of crap that there’s no way they would ever need or use.

6. North of 49 says:

we’re lucky here in BC. Son of 49 goes to Kindgergarten this year, so for the first time in about 15 years, we’ll be buying all sorts of “school” supplies tax exempt.

You don’t want to know how long my wish list is…

7. enm4r says:

@Ben Popken: So I assume you corrected the mistake? Mistakes are made, that’s fine. At least be somewhat professional about correcting them.

8. alpha says:

@Ben Popken:

Oh you know it’s all in good fun. Besides, I have to get all my reading and complaining in on the weekend now. You guys just recently made it to the big time: blocked by my ultra-strict work internet filter…
    ‘Your request was denied because of its content categorization: “Shopping/Merchandizing;Personal Pages”‘

That was a sad day…

9. Ben Popken says:

@enm4r: ( Referencing 300 ): THIS IS BLOG! :-P

10. e-gadgetjunkie says:

I work at an Office Depot in Missouri and let me tell you, tax free weekend is a scary time. It’s still two weeks away and we’re already getting ready. There are serious discounts. Corporate releases special sale ads just for the states that have tax free weekend. In addition, store managers seem to find it a good time to unload display model and outdated computers at ridiculous prices. Want a cheap computer that was state of the art six months ago? Head out on tax free weekend!

11. girlfriend 6.0 says:

I thought clothes were never taxed. At least in Rhode Island and Massachusetts they aren’t.

12. joeblevins says:

Most states tax everything. Take a trip outside of New England and you will see that. Some places like Montgomery have a sales tax of 10%. So the good discounts plus Tax-free will be a great deal.

I have been to Best Buy on days like this. They actually rope off the computer department and herd people like sheep. You had to wait for help. I had to just find a guy and say ‘I don’t want your help, I just want the computer’. They will get it for you. You gotta wait to talk to the GED boys if you want ‘help. Ugh

13. TWinter says:

@msb2: What does and doesn’t get taxed varies quite a bit from state to state. Many in the Midwest don’t add sales tax to food. Virginia doesn’t have sales tax for college textbooks. I believe NJ only taxes clothes above a certain dollar amount because they then become luxuries, etc. etc.

14. SBR249 says:

@TWinter: Adding to that, PA doesn’t tax living necessities (groceries, clothing, baby food, diapers).

On the other hand, everyone should move to Delaware :) the home of tax free shopping 365.25 days a year!

15. lilyHaze says:

I grew up in PA, but was minutes from DE. Guess where I got my computer (before the age of Internet shopping)? I moved to VA 2 years ago, where they tax everything (even groceries!). But I still visit my parents now and then and ALWAYS go back to shop in DE.