Former RIAA Defendant Accuses the RIAA of Fraud and Racketeering

Tanya Andersen is biting back. Constant readers will remember Tanya from the story “The RIAA Wants To Interrogate Your 10 Year-Old”. Tanya is the 42 year-old mother who the RIAA accused of downloading “gangster rap” on kazaa. The case was dismissed, but now Tanya is fighting back with her own lawsuit. She’s suing the RIAA for direct and punitive damages.

In addition to suing the RIAA, Andersen is targeting Atlantic Recording, Priority Records, Capital Records, UMG Recordings and BMG Music. She is also naming Media Sentry and RIAA’s Settlement Support Center as defendants. Andersen’s lawyers are hitting the defendants with the full power of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and federal and state RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corruption Act), something that is often used against mafia and street gang members.

Former RIAA defendant wants payback [TG Daily via BoingBoing]
(Photo: imelda)

Comments

1. Thrust says:

Somewhere on FARK a “Hero” tag is being prepared…

2. bluemeep says:

Attagirl!

Now let’s just hope this goes all the way through and they don’t wind up settling.

3. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

I hope she smokes their asses, because if she does, that will open the gates for many, many similar lawsuits.

4. tamushrek says:

If there is one thing I have learned from living with my mother, it is definitely not to make a mom mad. Congrats on someone sticking it back to them!

5. mopar_man says:

This was reported on Gizmodo as well. hagrun suggested she set up a place where people can donate to her legal funds. I think it’s a great idea.

6. IC18 says:

“RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corruption Act), something that is often used against mafia and street gang members.”

Comparing the RIAA to the mafia and gangs is an insult to all mafia and gang members. The RIAA is the dirty gum under my shoe.

gongrats to the mom standing up to them.

7. SaveMeJeebus says:

Good ol’ RICO

8. flyover says:

AWESOME

9. superlayne says:

What does the image say? File sharing is _______?
    I can see the second part just fine…

10. QuirkyRachel says:

Anyone know if there’s an address to send ‘hang in there’ cards?

11. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

It says “patriotic.” Not sure I exactly agree, but there you go.

12. Any chance of this becomming a Class-Action?

13. MalichiDemonos says:

If you think thats good check this out…
    [www.miamiherald.com]
    Bush twins vs RIAA

Battle to the death!!!
    I’m actually supporting the RIAA on this one. If thoses laws apply to us they should apply to them too.

14. kenposan says:

The Bush twins: Funny how we hate the RIAA until they are going after someone rich, then we are all like, “hell yes”.

But I hear what you are saying. It will be interesting to see what the RIAA does. If they fail to prosecute, they open the door of “you didn’t sue them so why are you suing me?”

15. Youthier says:

@MalichiDemonos: Eh, I can’t say I’m SUPPORTING the RIAA but it is good to see they’re equal opportunity douchebags.

16. nequam says:

This is gonna be fun to follow! BTW, where is the “honey pot” video??

17. azntg says:

I really hope that this lawsuit sticks. Seriously, way too many lawsuits against the RIAA falters or goes into settlement.

While I understand that people still have to make money for their work, even if they are well overpaid, the RIAA has been allowed to act as virtual gangsters and thugs for far too long.

18. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

the RIAA is NOT interested in making sure that the artists are renumerated. The RIAA is interested in making sure that there continues to be the RIAA. And you’ses lucky I ain’t in da mafia.

19. Bay State Darren says:

Personally, I seriously think there should be a Congressional inquiry and hearings into the RIAA’s practices. Those are great at shedding light on shady operations

20. nequam says:

One internet radio station I listed to runs an ad comparing the RIAA to the mafia. How appropriate.

21. nequam says:

oops — listen to.

22. golfinggiraffe says:

@Kenposan: actually, a bigger deal is, if the RIAA were to go up against the Bush family, they might just get dismantled. Hence the dream scenario of RIAA vs. Bush.