25 Uses For Olive Oil Other Than, You Know, Cooking With It

We’re a sucker for these lists of alternate uses for common household items.

Curbly has a list of 25 things you can do with olive oil other than cook with it.

You can polish your furniture, make chapstick, moisturize your cuticles, fix a squeaky door, control hair frizz, free a stuck zipper, and so much more. Just remember to use cheap olive oil!

Don’t waste the good stuff. —MEGHANN MARCO

25 Alternative Uses For Olive Oil [Curbly]
(Photo:zesermelda)

Comments

1. acambras says:

9. Stop Snoring. Take a sip of olive oil before heading to bed. It might lubricate your throat muscles, and stop yourself, or your partner, from snoring.

I am going to make my boyfriend drink olive oil before we go to sleep tonight!

************************************************

20. Personal Lubricant. It works…

Hopefully, people already know this, but one should never use any kind of oil-based lubricant with a condom – the latex will deteriorate. Only water-based!

2. chipslave says:

Personal lubricant? Wow…

3. TVarmy says:

Couldn’t you do 90% of this stuff with cheap vegetable oil?

4. Fuzz says:

@chipslave:

Ya, a guy I know said he needed some once and tried it . . . from then on, he sported the nickname “Olive Oil”. Until he pissed in the closet drunk one night . . . then we came up with other names for him.

Guy was a real winner.

5. timmus says:

26. Hair gel. For that 1950′s greaser look.

6. Canadian Impostor says:

18. Fix a squeaky door. Use a rag or cotton swab to apply olive oil to the top of a problematic hinge in your home or automobile.

Mmmm rotten decomposed olive oil in your car door hinges, sounds great.

All of those ideas seem kind of bad.

7. alk509 says:

Wood furniture polish

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! DON’T TRY IT!!! DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT THINKING ABOUT TRYING IT!!!

Olive oil oxidizes (goes rancid) within a couple of days of being left out in the open, and you really, really, REALLY don’t want your furniture to smell like rancid olive oil. You’d be better off inserting a dead rat directly into your rhinencephalon. Not a smell you want to smell, let me tell you…

How do I know? Last year my wife tried out this little “helpful tip” on our bedroom’s hardwood flooring, and it was months before The Stenchâ„¢ went away.

8. Brad2723 says:

There is a very good reason companies make specialized products that do all of the above… Especially personal lubricant. Then again, combine it with some Summer’s Eve and you could be talking a pretty good salad dressing.

9. foghat81 says:

so *THIS* is why the Corleone family was in the olive oil business. Makes sense.

10. QuirkyRachel says:

Olive oil is really really healthy for you! I know people who have very sensitive skin and it’s one of the few things that works for them. I use a wonderful method called the oil cleansing method. The anti-oxidents in olive oil, plus the anti-basterial element of castor oil, make for a great cleanser.
    Still, I don’t know about some of it. I mean, if you use good quality olive oil, it does have a scent that you might not want in certain things, like, uh, down there….

11. etinterrapax says:

It’s supposed to make a terrific facial cleanser. I’ve used samples of commercial preparations that have a high percentage of olive oil, and they really do work incredibly well. If you’ve always had bad skin, it can take a little bit to get used to the feel of it, especially if you judge a good cleanser by how oilless your face feels afterwards. I agree about not leaving it on anything. WD-40 and Astroglide were invented for a reason. Not the same reason, though, God help us.

12. eleemosynary says:

Olive oil also helps with burns, especially when your burn your tongue on hot soup!

13. ninjapoodles says:

I make luxury soaps, and the best of the best is castile, made with pure olive oil. It cures out to a lovely white color, accepts any essential or fragrance oil (especially good for floral fragrances, which tend to speed trace in soapmaking), and in its unadulterated form is perfect for babies’ skin. Good stuff.

14. Trai_Dep says:

“Keeps Greek boys more stoic while sleeping over.”

Anyone? ANYone?!

15. fairweather says:

@Jason
    @alk509

Took the words right out of my mouth.

16. palegreenstars says:

It works fabulously getting White Out off of anything. Even under your nails.

17. pestie says:

@Jason: I don’t know about door hinges, but a drop of any vegetable oil is perfect for lubricating a squeaky hamster wheel without endangering the hamster.