McDonald's Angus Burger Is Coming To Get You

McDonald’s is pleased with the sales of its Angus Burger (currently available in test markets, such as LA) and is planning to release the beast on the unsuspecting Northeast.

“We’re going to be testing Angus burgers later this summer in one of the Northeast markets,” said King, McDonald’s East Division president. “With all test products we want to get a sense of different geographies and demographics so we’re going to take it around the block here in the East.”

Just in case you were wondering, the third-pound Angus with Bacon and Cheese packs 820 calories, 43g of fat, and 65g of carbohydrates. Combined with a large package of french fries (570 calories) and a large Coke (310 calories)… Your Angus Bacon and Cheese lunch provides you with 1700 delicious calories in one meal.

Anyway, the pictures make the burger look pretty tempting, but since we’ve not eaten a McDonald’s burger in 12 years, (don’t ask, you don’t want to know) we’ll probably be able to resist. How about you?—MEGHANN MARCO

McDonald’s to expand test marketing of Angus burger [LA Times]
McDonalds Of Southern California

Comments

1. mikyrok says:

I have to ask, I really want to know.. Why haven’t you?

2. Tallanvor says:

That picture doesn’t look tempting to me at all. Besides the cheese on it, there’s something about it (probably the background) that just screams McDonald’s, and that just makes it really unappetizing.

Seriously, I stopped eating there when I realized nothing tasted or looked appetizing.

3. bluemeep says:

So they slapped leftover veggies from their Produce Based Salad Substitutes onto a Quarter Pounder?

Allllrighty. I guess the same concept worked to move their excess of tortillas and unsold chicken strips when they made those wrap things.

4. color_guru says:

Fat wise thats got nothing on Jack in the Box’s Sirloin Bacon ‘n’ Cheese Burger. Try out 422 Calories and 73 grams of fat.

5. GitEmSteveDave says:

OK, look. “Angus” and “Kobe” and whatever else fancy burger meat makes no difference. The reason Angus, Kobe, and the others are such good STEAKS is that they have an internal “marbling” of fat through the meat resulting in a more juicy, tender steak, instead of the more centralized fat in “normal” meat. When you grind up espen$ive meat, you lose out on any of that. Besides, if a cook/butcher has a choice of grinding up an expensive steak, or scraps he would never feed to someone whole, which do you think he would grind?

The best hamburgers are made from 80-85% chopped beef. You get juiciness, and if you grill it or at least use a grill lined pan, you reduce the fat while still having a mighty damn good burger.

6. kamikasee says:

I quit eating fast food altogether about 5 years ago. I realized I always hit the drive through when I was hungry and in a hurry and that I would always overeat. Instead, I gave myself other options: eat at a real restaurant, bring something with you, or don’t eat at all. I find that I eat less and eat better. It is a little more expensive, but worth it. I realize that most restaurant food is probably not much better in terms of nutrition, but at least I have to be intentional about eating there, not just hit the drive through.

About the only place I ever go now is (occasionally) chick-fil-a. Mmmmmm chicken…

7. OnceWasCool says:

Angus beef implies that it is American beef instead of that stuff that is packed in Australia with sugar added, and frozen. Then shipped for months over the ocean to get to distribution centers. Since Australia generally taste flat due to their diet, only big burger places like Micky D’s buys it.

8. Gopher bond says:

I’ve got a good local butcher, a freezer, and a grill. I really have no desire to pay for a hamburger from anywhere.

9. MeanMachine says:

What does this hamburger have to do with AC/DC?

10. DashTheHand says:

That looks…disgusting. McDonalds has NEVER been good at burgers. They merely provide more of them at a lesser cost. They are the absolute bottom rung of the fast food chain for quality food. It makes me laugh that people go there and spend money on salads and crap from them too.

No, find an off-name fast food joint in your area, and you will probably find the best burgers (fast food variety) in the area. That, or Five Guys is pretty good too.

11. faust1200 says:

This new gimmick just feels like another bum steer. (OH YEAH!)

12. mic_dee says:

This is actually a very good burger, but you can only have so many of these. The post is a little disingenuous, because there is no way that you would be able to handle LARGE fries or a LARGE coke with this thing (and I can eat, believe me), much less both. Still a big calorie meal, but no need exaggerate.

• thaShady says:

@mic_dee: A few years ago when I finally decided I was too fat, I made a rule of no fast food, but if I did indulge, I would just get a burger and a large water. No fries or soda…saved me money and calories

13. kimsama says:

@DashTheHand: Mmmm, Five Guys…seriously, I don’t know why people still go to McDonald’s if there is a Five Guys around. The boardwalk fries alone would be all the incentive I would need, let alone the burgers being infinity percent superior.

14. Spider Jerusalem says:

I got one (without bacon) for my husband because he wanted to ingest 830 calories in one sitting (he’s tiny and a nerd). The meat was kind of soft, I guess? And less salted than a normal McDonald’s patty, but…*shrug* There’s better burger joints.

15. lapilot says:

A friend and I had to try one just out of curiosity. I had never felt so sick from food in a long time. I was useless the rest of the day and night. This stuff just isn’t good for you!

• SabreDC says:

@lapilot: Same here. I tried one yesterday around 2pm. It is the next day at around 11am and I am still feeling its effects. I’ve had absolutely no appetite since eating that… and I didn’t even get fries or a soda. Just the burger.

16. cdan says:

@kamikasee – chik fil a rocks my world, but for the love of god stay away from the chicken biscuits. they will suck you into a black hole of fried chicken

@meghann – tease! of course we want to know!

17. AcidReign says:

…..Same old McDonalds. No lettuce and tomato. I’ll pass.

• SabreDC says:

@AcidReign: That picture is just one of three “models” of this sandwich. If you look it up, you’d see that there is an Angus Deluxe version that has lettuce and tomato. The bacon/cheese variety doesn’t.

18. gopher646 says:

I think I’ll continue to stay away from McDonalds. I enjoy their breakfast from time to time, but even that is pretty rare.

I think I’ll avoid this new temptation by making my own burger… from real meat.

19. OnceWasCool says:

@AcidReign: Wow, I had never noticed that before. No wonder Burger King taste sooo much better. They have the lettuce and tomato!!!

20. Techguy1138 says:

I had one and liked it. I don’t frequently eat hamburgers but, found this one to be pretty good. It did taste better than the typical McDonalds hamburger but it still retained the McD taste.

I has the plain one, classic I believe. It was $3-4.That said there is nothing really special about angus beef. It’s a marketing ploy. A tasty tasty marketing ploy.

There is an advantage to grinding a premium meat for cooking. Arguing against that is like saying there is no point in making creamed spinach with fresh spinach since it get chopped up and steamed.

21. plim says:

i think i just had a heart attack reading that post.

but seriously, i prefer my heart attacks to be of a female variety…

wendy’s…yum…

22. Techguy1138 says:

@AcidReign: I thought mine did have lettuce and a tomato. Since I din’t get cheese or bacon it would have been a slice of meat on bread without it.

23. aestheticity says:

i also have not visited a maccy d’s or any fast food since i got a clue, over ten years ago.

although here in britain, its burger king who do an angus burger. maccy d dont. in fact i do an impression of the scottish bastards in the bk ads here that is popular far and wide. ‘AN ANGUS BURRRRGER!’. classic.

24. FredTheCat says:

I’ve had the mushroom and swiss version of this a few times now and it’s really MUCH better than the typical McDonalds burger (for whatever that’s worth). Carls Jr still has them whipped with the Six Dollar Burger though.

25. Onouris says:

@oncewascool:

Angus is a Scottish cow, so technically it’s Scottish, just reared in America :P

Burger King already have an Angus Burger over here, made from proper Angus, and it’s not the size of a fist, thankfully (and it’s actually really good). Absolutely no idea why they made this monstrosity that thick.

Well actually, I do, because it’s America.

26. @kimsama: What the hey is “Five Guys”?

@Fast Food Joints: Why does bacon have to be on EVERYTHING?!?!

27. whitespider says:

I love McDonalds. I love this country for it’s fatty foods. Only because of the choice.. I mean on the other hand people are horribly under educated on the topic and no one really can go on their own unless issolated.

Really, I like to believe people unconciously give up the last 10-5 years of their life just to enjoy and eat these types of things. Personally, I almost feel the same way.. thought that’s my health.. my looks on that matter.. well.. lets just say a muffin top over six pack abs are not choices I enjoy to make.. so all in moderation.

28. Five Guys is the most delicious burger in the world.

Want one….

29. BritBoy says:

I am not a McDs regular – perhaps 3 visits in several years.

I did try one of these new Angus burgers several weeks ago. It was quite good !

Don’t get to carried away with the whole ‘Angus’ thing. McDs wording is ‘made with 100% USDA … Angus beef’. I wonder how much leeway this gives them for including some ‘regular’ beef into the mix.

30. WV.Hillbilly says:
  31. The Meathead says:

The last time McDonald’s launched a major new burger, it fell flatter than Gwen Stefani – the Arch Deluxe.

I worked for McD’s then and it was a complete disaster trying to explain to people what the damn thing was.

32. Yourhero88 says:

Northeast on the pictures make it around the East. How about you don’t want to released with the beast markets, such as LA) and a large package of different geographies in the East. “With Bacon and is planning Northeast Division pretty tempting to get a sense of different geographics so we’re going Northeast Division presist. “With all testing Angus Bacon and demographies (570 calories, 43g of french fries, 43g of french provides you? McDonald’s burger in one meal. Anyway, the burger look presist. Ho

33. ivealwaysgotmail10 says:

Ive had it, its AWESOME Compared to any other fast food burger.

Me and my freinds have started referring to it as “that angus” its almost as good as an in-n-out burger, MUCH better than anything Mcdonalds has ever had.

@haters WHy you hatin on the arch deluxe? Arch deluxe was the bomb!

ALL HAIL THAT ANGUS!! Its bacon and cheese goodness Sets an Example for us all!

(im sorry to any offended by my extreme loyalty to that angus, that angus is amazing and deserves to be hailed and worshiped much more than other idols that our constantly degrading culture currently worships.)

That angus is a GOD AMONG BURGERS, Its soft meat, luscious onions, and tantalizing bacon lures me closer to its goodness. And when i pass by that local mcdonalds, i cannot help but look at the sad faces of the mcdonalds employees that are forced to sell a qouta of Angus burgers per day and i yell BE PROUD MY SON! YOU ARE PART OF SOMETHING LARGER THAN YOURSELF, YOU SIR ARE AN ANGUS DISPENSARY AND FOR THAT THE ANGUS GODS WILL BARRAGE YOU IN A FLURRY OF MCFLURRRIES AND YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE MONOPOLY PIECES THAT YOUR HEART DESIRES!

34. kimsama says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Five Guys is this great chain that started as a family business in the D.C. area (Arlington, I believe), and rocks hard when it comes to burgers.

I don’t even like burgers, but I love me some Five Guys.

They deserve an above-and-beyond award. One time I went there and got a takeout little bacon cheeseburger and they forgot the bacon. I called and they offered me a free burger. When I went to redeem the burger after a week or so, they gave me, my husband, and my best friend all free meals (fries, burgers, and drinks). Of course, this was at one of the original locations, not a franchise. But, wow! What service! I am a customer for life.

Also, in the Arlington locations they have hilarious little posterboards where people draw pictures and stick them up, mostly of the teenage mutant ninja turtles (?). You can’t beat that with a stick.

35. mathew says:

So in heart disease terms, the McAngus is like eating half a stick of butter. McAngioplasty!

36. The Meathead says:

@ivealwaysgotmail10: Simply stunning.

No words in the English language can adequately describe that diatribe.

37. FLConsumer says:

Woohoo! At least now McDogfood will be calling their food by it’s proper name — anus burgers.

38. mac-phisto says:

what do we want? MEAT! when do we want it? NOW!

has anyone else noticed how much fast food sucks since they started taking out all those partially hydrogenated polycarboxyl fatty acid thingys?

where has all my trans fat gone, i went to the arches but they had none… *sniff*

39. Onouris says:

The real question here is, is it as good as Burger King’s stacker?

40. bedofnails says:

What’s interesting, they launched this in SoCal test markets, a market in which “In N’ Out” dominates when discussing “fast burgers”.

I’ve tried this monstrosity, and it’s nasty. I am wondering if McDonald’s telling us it has done well is like Vista “selling” 40 million copies.

41. MentalDisconnect says:

Ever since working at McDonald’s I won’t eat there anymore. (The sad part is, I’m starving, so that looks good, even though of course I can’t eat the bacon (don’t like it, not kosher) and burgers frequently make me extremely ill. Gotta find some other way to satisfy my hunger. Stupid burger, with your tempting juicyness and the fact that you are food (sorta). Mmmmm.

42. kerry says:

If I want a burger I’ll someplace that makes real burgers from fresh ingredients. If I want some salty, tasty crap I’ll get a McDonalds cheeseburger. There is no purpose to the big beef fancy chain fast food burgers, go to the char palace down the street, instead.

43. SOhp101 says:

I’ve tried it before and it isn’t bad but it’s nowhere nearly as good as an In-N-Out burger. the Angus burger has no veggies on it so most will get sick of the burger quickly.

General rule of thumb: don’t get a burger at a fast food place with hamburger meat. Go for a chicken breast sandwich no mayo/sauce and you’ll save plenty on unneeded calories.

Easting at restaurants is no better and it’s actually usually a lot worse. Portion control and variety is the key to eating healthy.

44. Myron says:

That’s a lot of calories for the money. Sounds like a good deal to me. (Cost of future health care not factored in)

45. bbbici says:

I’m actually having a McDicks rennaisance. Their breakfasts are good, their coffee and muffins are excellent and cheap, the fries are classic, and I had a great McChicken the other day. About the only burger i ever have is the Mac, because of the novelty of the middle bun. But yeah, most of their burgers are pretty grim.

I wonder if David Hasselhoff would go for the Angus burger?

46. tinychicken says:

Every few months I get a severe craving for a double quarter pounder (half pounder?) with cheese and salty fries and a coke. I think that picture has induced a premature occurrence.

I want processed meat food and orange cheese product!!!

47. Hoss says:

The McDonald’s link says 100% angus beef. If I make a third pound angus beef burger at home, will it still be around 820 calories (w cheese, bacon, bun etc)? Honest question — why so many calories if there are no additives?

48. FromThisSoil says:

@Hossofcourse:

Remember that all fast food restaurants advertise their burgers as “*weight before being cooked.”

Now what do you think is McDonalds incentive to use a lean piece of meat? There is none, because if they trim the fat, they lose the weight and therefore lose money. There could be less calories, McDonald’s just won’t make as much money.

I’m not basing this on any kind of fact, but supposition. It makes sense to me.

49. Oakland510 says:

I tried one of these burgers just out of curiosity, and let me just say that my doubts were correct. The burger was terrible. No taste whatsoever. It was as dry as leather. Additives, calories, everything aside this burger is just terrible. Microwaving fast food is just not a good idea. Either way, Mickey D cannot compete with In and Out Burgers fresh and natural menu. Do one thing right. That’s all you have to do.

50. ObtuseGoose says:

Let’s start this off with, “I’m not a fan of McDonalds.” That being said, I’ve had the regular Angus burger (the one that includes lettuce, tomato, dill pickle and cheese) and it is the best thing that they have done in a long time. I’ve also had the mushroom/swiss burger a couple of times. Considering that other fast food places don’t make one, I was pleased that it was on the menu. None of my burgers were dry and tasteless, so I don’t know what the deal is with some of the other posters. I didn’t “upsize” my fries, and I had a regular size diet Coke. So the calorie hit wasn’t as high. But like any fast food meal, it’s something that should be done in moderation.

51. LAGirl says:

rarely go to mcdonalds. however *hangs head in shame* earlier tonight, on my way home from work, i was starving. saw a mcdonalds and said, hey! i’m gonna try that angus burger. i got one w/bacon + cheese. i liked it. but since i eat maybe one burger a year, don’t have much to compare it to. it was juicy, tasty and fresh. i’d consider having another one.

52. BII says:

@mic_dee:

I agree, our boss bought the office these for lunch when it first came out. It was actually very different from typical McD’s food. But it was a rather large burger, I didn’t finish it, or the fries.

53. ivealwaysgotmail10 says:

How Dare ye insolent Fools Doubt That angus!

That Angus Demands your respect and Worship!
    If thy Does not comply with that angus, YOU WILL RUE THE DAY you conspired against such a powerful sandwich! It will swoop down on ye like a Tasmanian tiger and ravage your soul with its sharp poppyseed teeth.
    Dry you say? Leathery you say? FOOLS! What doth thy want!? If thy seeks the ultimate burger than that angus will satisfy your endless quest for such a thing, And if thy searches for conflict with That angus, THEN CONFLICT THY WILL GET

That Angus Will Powerfullly jet from the sky to your skull in a chesey firey heap, and will suffacate you and others of your anti-angus clan with its mighty buns!

THERE IS NO STOPPING THAT ANGUS, IT WILL EXPAND INTO AN EVER GROWING DICTATORSHIP AND WILL EVENTUALLY CONTROL THE ENTIRE WORLD, PEOPLE WILL FILL THE STREETS HAILING THAT ANGUS AND ALL OF ITS INGREDIENTS, THERE WILL BE A CULT OF PICKLE, A CHURCH OF BACON, A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR KETCHUP FOUNTAIN,

SO GO OUT THERE ARE GET THAT ANGUS AND WHEN YOU DO DONT FIGHT THE URGE TO GET OUT OF YOUR SEAT AND SAY WHAT THE ANGUS’S SAY, “I GOT THAT ANGUS, I PWNED THAT ANGUS, I LOVE THAT ANGUS”

SO THAT ONE DAY, WHEN YOUR CHILDREN ASK “daddy when did you have your first angus” and you will PROUDLY reply “SHUT UP HO, IM EATING THAT ANGUS!”

54. Trai_Dep says:

@oncewascool: “Angus beef implies that it is American beef instead of that stuff that is packed in Australia with sugar added, and froze”

I’m quite slack-jawed that someone in this day and age trumpets the USA as it being a source of meat goodness.

US meat, in places that knows better, is shorthand for:
    Salmonella, E Coli, Cloned Beef, Hormones, anti-biotics and Genetically-modified food.

Jeezus, man, you can’t even EAT the stuff without burning it to a charred crisp, according to the manufacturer’s (don’t call them ranchers or farmers) guidelines.

Sure there USED to be a time when we had great meat. But if I were anyplace else in the world, I’d avoid US meat second only to Chinese pet food.

Our agribusiness knows how toxic they’ve made their product. They don’t let consumers even be notified via packaging labels. Since they KNOW consumers would reject their “enhancements” if they had the choice.

I’d take Aussie Beef or French meat in a NY second over US meat. You’d be a fool not to.

55. monaflambe says:

First, watch “Supersize Me” if you doubt the pernicious effects of McD’s and all other fast food restaurants. Next, being as I live in SoCal, if this will get those damn commercials off the air (they are of a couple, three guys from Philly or Boston extolling the benefits of this glorious slab of whatever), then I am all for it. For those that don’t value their lives, of course.

56. s00p3rm4n says:

How you people still eat McD’s is utterly beyond me. Then again, people make meth by the bathtub, so I really shouldn’t be surprised.

Um, and I didn’t know that you can get “angus meat” from monkeys. Way to go, McDonald’s Corporation!

57. madderhatter says:

@FredTheCat: Gotta go with you on this one – the $6 Burger from Hardees/Carls rocks !

58. thaShady says:

For the same price, I’d rather have 2 Double-Double’s from In-N-Out.