Bones Of 10,000 Year Old Camel Found On Walmart Site

Who knew there used to be camels in Arizona? We sure didn’t. From CNN:

Workers digging at the site of a future Wal-Mart store in suburban Mesa have unearthed the bones of a prehistoric camel that’s estimated to be about 10,000 years old.

Arizona State University geology museum curator Brad Archer hurried out to the site Friday when he got the news that the owner of a nursery was carefully excavating bones found at the bottom of a hole being dug for a new ornamental citrus tree.

“There’s no question that this is a camel; these creatures walked the land here until about 8,000 years ago, when the same event that wiped out a great deal of mammal life took place,” Archer told The Arizona Republic.

A deal with the owners of the land and Walmart with ASU has already been struck, and the bones will go on display at Arizona State. Apparently, the find is quite rare: “In my 15 years at ASU doing this work I can think of six or seven times when finds this important have been made,” Archer said. “This is the first camel. Others have been horses, once a mammoth on Happy Valley Road. This sort of thing is extremely rare.” —MEGHANN MARCO

Bones of prehistoric camel found at Wal-Mart site [CNN]
(Photo:Cernavoda)

Comments

1. TK says:

They said 8,000 years old just to not piss off the horde of young-earth creationists I guess.

2. Wasabe says:

I seriously thought this article would be about Walmart.com offering camel bones.

3. Jmarsh04 says:

Impossible. Everyone knows the earth is 2,000 years old.

This is just another sick joke by those activist scientists, just like how they planted fake bones of those “dinosaur” things.

I hope Pat Robertson addresses this soon, or he’s not getting another dime from me.

4. Rahnee says:

Wal-Mart does not stop for human remains. What makes anyone think they will stop for camels?

5. ngwoo says:

@Rahnee: I’m sorry, but the first page you posted ruined any chance of me clicking the second one.

6. Anonymously says:

@Wasabe: Me too. I totally thought walmart.com was selling fossils now.

7. cindel says:

Umm is this even news? Walmart was about to open a store over a graveyard a few years back.

8. jaredharley says:

@Wasabe: Agreed.

The article headline should read “Bones of 10,000 Year Old Camel Found at Walmart Construction Zone”

It seems to me Consumerist “baited” me into reading this article by making it sound a lot more interesting.

9. Rahnee says:

@Zeke129: Sorry to hear that. They were both good articles. Maybe it will ruin any chance of you opening the door of a Wal-Mart to shop there.

10. mopar_man says:

@Rahnee:

I’m with you. I don’t ever go to Wal-Mart. I’m actually shocked that they took the time to call somebody about this instead of just scooping it into a truck and hauling it away. This was probably something to do with trying to raise their public image. “Look, we’re good guys. Really.”

11. dwneylonsr says:

Says more about the construction company than Wal-Mart.