Travel expert Peter Greenberg talks with Matt Lauer about if and when you should get travel insurance. Most of the time it’s a ripoff, but here are 9 situations where it comes in handy:
1. Your flight is cancelled.
2. Your bags are lost and your medication is in it. You need to have an emergency prescription filled.
3. Your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport.
4. You’re involved in an accident and adequate medical treatment is not available. You need medical evacuation.
5. You need to cancel your trip due to illness.
6. Your cruise line, airline or tour operator goes bankrupt. You need your non-refundable expenses covered and to get to your destination.
7. You have a medical emergency in a foreign country.
8. A terrorist incident occurs in the city where you’re planning to visit and you want to cancel your trip.
9. A hurricane forces you to evacuate your resort, hotel or cruise.
Hit the link for more, including descriptions of the various kinds of travel insurance. — BEN POPKEN
Do you need travel insurance? [Today Show]