More Zombie Brands

Daniel Gross is back with more zombie brands. Among them:

• The Commodore 64, resurrected as a high-end gaming computer
    • Indian motorcycles
    • Triumph motorcycles (who were not only resurrected, but made a very strong comeback)
    • Lots of cars, including the Camaro, GTO, Montego, and MG
    • White Cloud paper products, now a Wal-Mart house brand
    • The McRib, which makes periodic resurgences for no good reason that anyone can figure out

Lots more, and lots of links, in the Slate article, plus some amusing requests for brand resurrections (mostly junk food). SAM GLOVER

(Photo: Demedulce)

Comments

1. Since the Polaroid brand name is now being used to brand a line of Chinese-manufactured TVs, does that mean you have to shake the remote a la Wii to get a picture on the TV?

2. zibby says:

How about A&F? My dad says this was the coolest store on earth before its disappearance…did they officially disappear? Don’t know. Now, of course, their claim to fame is selling sweatshirts to dumbasses.

3. Falconfire says:

I wouldn’t considered the Camaro to be a zombie. It was barely off the market before they released the new one, hardly time for people to forget about it.

The car industry is well known to pull a brand for 4-5 years then bring it back after a substantial redesign.

4. acambras says:

@CaliforniaCajun:

Now I’m going to have that Outkast song in my head all damn day.

5. Theseus says:

I can’t believe Daniel Gross took a swing at the McRib. For those who are fans, that processed pork and excess bbq sauce is enough to make me giggle like a schoolgirl when I see it on offer.

Oh, and it inspired one of the best Simpson episodes ever…

6. kerry says:

@Theseus: “Think smaller, think more legs.”

I don’t think the McRib is a true zombie product, I think McDonalds knows that its appeal is best as a limited-time product. They seem to roll it out at about the same time every year where I live (late summer/early fall).
    A&F, on the other hand, is totally a zombie product. Also? Their CEO is a hideous freak:

7. gorckat says:

My favorite Zombie product: http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/

8. mopar_man says:

Their CEO is a hideous freak:

Holy crap. That’s going to give me nightmares now.

9. kerry says:

@gorckat: That reminds me, I should use this comment thread to shout out my favorite zombie product, too.

10. zibby says:

I’d like to see Aspen soda make a comeback.

11. MaliBoo Radley says:

I wish Tato Skins and Wild and Mild Ranch Fritos would make a comeback … I love both of those … I could put back a whole bag of each!!

12. royal72 says:

how about disney and their classics vault? get your peter pan 2-disc platinum edition dvds now boys and girls, ’cause they’ll be gone again soon… well till they’ve rotated some of the other classics and then you’ll have to get the peter pan diamond edition with 3 dvds.

13. orlong says:

Actually the do still make Tato Skins, they are now packaged under the TGI Fridays name. Unfortunately they are only available in 2 flavirs now

14. SmoovyG says:

The McRib is designed as a special event product, and it keeps coming back because it’s taaaasty.

15. CeilingCat says:

A&W has resurrected both the Burger Family (Momma, Papa, Grandpa, etc –the only survivng remnant of the ‘family’ for more than 15 years was the Teen Buger) and the Whistle Dog.

16. AcilletaM says:

@radleyas: One of our vending machines occasionaly has Tato Skins and not the TGIF ones. Makes me wonder how old they are.

@kerry: The McRib is a zombie product because that’s the primary ingredient.

17. AcilletaM says:

Zombies = Good Eats

18. Paul D says:

Please oh please bring back Crystal Pepsi.

I loved that stuff.

(I’m not kidding.)

19. homerjay says:

I would love to see REGULAR Pub Fries come back… The flavored ones just don’t do it for me.

20. Buran says:

The VW Rabbit. It’s only “sort of” a zombie.

The ‘Rabbit’ was the name used for the North American market to sell the first-generation Golf. It became the Golf in the US as well for second through fourth generations. Now, the original NA-only name has been brought back (in the US/Canada only, again).

It is selling quite well according to the salesguy I ordered my new GTI from. (and the GTI was originally the Rabbit GTI, I think; now in North America it’s just the “GTI” while in the rest of the world, it’s “Golf GTI” as it’s just a Golf with a very extensive upgrade package.

In fact, the “Rabbit” is selling so well that the entire US allocation has sold out already and you can no longer order one even though I believe plenty of slots are still left for Jettas and GTIs.

21. Terminixsux says:

How about bringing back Ginos? I need another 2,000 calorie Gino Giant,or worse, anyone remember the heroburger? It was an elongated burger on an elongated bun, with all the drippy gooey lettuce and “secret sauce” just oozing out.

22. mopar_man says:

@CeilingCat:
    I don’t really see a problem with the A&W stuff. It’s good food and seems to go along with how it used to be.

@Buran:
    The Rabbit isn’t so bad. Want a zombie car? Try some Chrysler/Dodge products on for size: Charger, Aspen, Daytona, etc.

23. Waffleos need to come back.

24. Bay State Darren says:

Oh please. IMHO, getting nostalgic for a pile of chemicals, plastic, etc. that the marketing depatment slapped some poor version of English on after test audiences found it appealing is making yourselves the puppet of companies and they laugh at you for it. It’s acting like the smoker who buys tobacco because the maker stuffed it with nicotine, only instead of nicotine, it’s a name that one associates with their youth.

And, yes, I’m guilty of it sometimes. :(

25. Bay State Darren says:

Oh, and I just realized, I really want Spag’s back.

26. homerjay says:

Spag’s??? C’mon! Bldg 19 did them a favor. Where else can you get a 6″ Boston Creme Pie for a quarter– with an expiration date one week LATER than at Market Basket, I might add!

By the way, Am I the only one that thinks Ring Dings were better when they were wrapped in foil instead of plastic?

27. Bay State Darren says:

@homerjay: Yeah, I don’t even really recall why I like them, just that I do. It’s pure nostalgia. Exactly what drives the zombie brand market.

28. AcidReign says:

@Paul D: Re: Crystal Pepsi: You didn’t get to witness all of the returns on that stuff! Ugh! You can see the mold grow really well in a clear product. It wasn’t acidic enough to kill anything, and bacteria love CO2 and sugar. If even one bacteria cell got in the product during the run, you’d have a whole bottle full of icky green and black stuff in a month.

29. scottso says:

Mmmmm, Bosco Chocolate Syrup. It’s still around – in fact, it’s now run by my family and we’re working hard on the brand. Sorry for the shameless plug: http://www.boscoworld.com

30. CumaeanSibyl says:

I want Planter’s to start making those cheez balls that come in the canister again. Best cheez product ever.