Great Moments In Commercial History: Don's Guns

The 2nd amendment is alive and well at Don’s Guns… Greg, from Indianapolis, writes:

In the late 80s and 90s, I’d fall asleep with the TV on and his commercials would wake me up with the gunfire in the beginning. Scared the hell out of me.

He’s got everything you’d expect from a sleazy gun dealer – bright smile, slicked hair, cheesy slogan (“I don’t want to make any money, I just love to sell guns.”)

This is the sort of commercial that, unless someone had written in and nominated it, we’d have assumed was from Kentucky Fried Movie or something. All told, we’re glad Don sells guns and not food. We can’t really explain why, it’s just a feeling we have.

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for “Great Moments in Commercial History,” send an email to us at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. If you’ve already nominated one, don’t fret. We’re working on it. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. B says:

Is anybody else unnerved by the idea that anybody can walk into his store and rent a high-powered rifle? Seems the the perfect way to commit a murder on the cheap.

2. That guy there is what we like to call a “Crazy motherf*cker”.

3. sr71pav says:

I live in Indy, and the rented guns can only be used in the store. You can’t rent and walk out the door with them. The guy’s still crazy, though.

4. d0x says:

Renting guns? That doesnt sound like the greatest of ideas and his creepy laugh at the end makes my skin crawl…

5. JuliusJefferson says:

I think by renting, he means take the gun into the attached shooting range and shoot some rounds through it.

… I hope.

6. Yep says:

Mickey Rooney + Colonel Sanders – Quirky Charm = That

7. RexRhino says:

When you rent a gun, you get to shoot the gun under supervision at a firing range. You don’t get to take the gun home. Get a clue people.

8. mattshu says:

To quote from the video, “ha ha ha ha ha ha.”

9. jwissick says:

Woo Hoo! I am gonna rent a gun and rob a store…. Come on people. You can’t take the gun home unless you buy it. Think before you post.

10. indyfag says:

I’m from Indy, so I know these commercials well.
    I personally find them distasteful, and tacky. However, Don, of Don’s Guns, is perhaps one of the nicest, unassuming,(even with all his gaudy jewelry), men I have ever met.
    I managed a restaurant across the street from his store. He came in two times a week, extremely pleasant, not expecting any special treatment, and friendly.
    I hated his ads, but liked the man!

11. Scuba Steve says:

Most of us got the rent = in the store thing.. but that man will probably give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

and I like guns.. but that laugh, not so much.

12. iameleveneight says:

Man that reminded me of one of those surreal commercials from a Robocop movie.

13. Like the finger on the trigger. Gunn saff-t? Wutz thatt?

14. RandomHookup says:

Thanks for that. I had forgotten all about Don…

15. full.tang.halo says:

Don’s Guns had some of the best commercials ever. Too bad he got nicked for selling getting into illegal full auto ak-47 type guns and they ran him out of Keystone.

16. blindInTexas says:

OMG!! I remember Don’s Guns… used to drive by there on my way to work. Nothing wrong with renting guns. Plenty of places do it here in Texas. At least it’s a controled enviroment and not some yahoo shooting watermelons ( sorry Gunny ) in his back yard, where there’s no back stop.

17. Damn, I love commercials for Don’s Guns. As much of the Indiana experience as John Mellencamp, IU basketball and the scorn and derision of the other 49 states.

18. welby345 says:

Don’s commercials were a little creepy, I give you that. But Don was a very nice guy. He gave away ALOT of money to charity. He donated a good deal of it to Riley Children’s Hospital in Indy. He also gave money to the old Soldires and Sailors children’s home.

He may have loved guns, but he was also there for the community. Let’s seperate the man from the commercial please.

19. You mean scorn and derision BY the other 49 states, right? I thought so. Just clearing that up.

20. jeffeb3 says:

“Se rentan armas”

Anyone see a problem with someone renting a gun when they can’t understand the clerk?

21. Leofan7 says:

I could imagine him saying: “I don’t want to kill you, but I just LOOOOOOOVE to shoot guns! HA HA HA HA HA HA!