North Carolina Kmart Fined $1,230 For Inaccurate Price Scans

Sure $1230 isn’t a lot of money to a store like Kmart, but it’s something.

The Kmart on Patton Avenue in Asheville, NC is one of 4 stores issued civil fines by North Carolina after inspectors found “excessive price-scanning errors that caused customers to pay more than prices advertised.” Not all states have price-scanning laws, but North Carolina obviously does. We like the idea. Keeps the bastards honest, or “provides needed motivation for price-scanning accuracy to be an area of interest and concern at the corporate level”… if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.—MEGHANN MARCO

4 WNC stores fined for errors in price scanning [Citizen Times]
(Photo: Cosmic Kitty)

Comments

1. B says:

$1230 would be enough to buy about half the stock in a K-Mart.

2. mopar_man says:

This type of thing is why I always try and pay attention to what the price was on the item/shelf and what it scans as at the register.

3. MostNutsEver says:

$1230 was over the line.

4. MostNutsEver says:

$1230 was over the line.

5. mopar_man says:

$1230 would be enough to buy about half the stock in a K-Mart.

Which is too bad. K-Mart should be worth more. I don’t mind shopping there. Prices are only a few cents more than Wal-Mart, the employees actually seem to enjoy their jobs and I’m sure they get treated a hell of a lot better.

6. MostNutsEver says:

Whoops. Double posting is even more over the line.

7. spanky says:

@mopar_man:
    Agreed. I know there are some scary K-Marts out there, but I’ve had better luck lately with K-Mart than I have with Target.

8. Patton Ave, eh? Good times.

9. puka_pai says:

Yessssss!

I’m a grocery store pricing manager and like Rodney Dangerfield, we don’t get no respect. Maybe if this gets around more, our bosses will appreciate what we do instead of seeing us as a drag on labor hours.

And maybe the paycheck fairy will add another zero at the end of my salary. As if.

10. Meg Marco says:

@MostNutsEver: This is not ‘Nam. There are rules.

11. hop says:

the k mart in salisbury md. is the pits….

12. -J- says:

K-Mart In Doylestown, PA. does this a lot. Especially on sale items. You must keep a close eye on the recipe and write down the prices as you shop there or you are going to almost always going to get charged more than you should be charged.

K-Mart workers are Target/Wal-Mart rejects, even more clueless. So if you find an error, simply speak with the floor manager and they will fix it without even noticing that it happens hundreds of times per day.

I have even asked the guy if he has to correct prices a lot and he told me that is why he is out on the floor all day and not in any office.

I think it is actually corporate policy to do this so that they can show their parent company Sears that they are doing ok.

Either that, or Sears does it too. I haven’t shopped at one for a while, so I don’t know.

Buyer Be Ware!

-J-

13. alicetheowl says:

Oh, hey, a hometown story!

I’ve never shopped at that one, but it’s one of three K-Marts within city limits. I can’t help but wonder if the rest are as guilty of the same thing.

Not that I shop at the one on South Asheville all that often . . .

14. Jean Naimard says:

Up here (Québec), ***EACH*** time a store makes a scanning error, it is fined up to $10.

Example: I show up at the grocer, see that the $BRAND frozen 2-pizza boxes are $9, which is $6 off the regular price. So I pick up two.

When I get at the register, it is with immense satisfaction that I see the cash registering $15.

By law, they should not only honour the advertised price ($9) but give me the item free (or discount $10 if the supposed price is more than $10).

So I got myself two pizzas for free that night…

Oh, and to make sure stores can’t weasel out of that, the law says that it should be placarded left and right all over the place near the cash registers.

Needless to say, there aren’t many scanner errors up here…

And the pizza is good!