How To: Make Mayonnaise

Save money or avoid a trip to the store by making your own mayonnaise. From Instructables:

Why pay a lot of money for bad mayonnaise when you can make really gourmet mayonnaise in a few minutes at a fraction of the cost? Here’s a simple recipe requiring no technique, commonly available ingredients, and my favorite kitchen power tool- the hand blender!

This looks a lot better than Miracle Whip, doesn’t it? What is Miracle Whip, anyway? —MEGHANN MARCO

Mayonnaise! [Instructables]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

Miracle Whip aint mayo thats for sure.

2. eeebee says:

Eeew, raw eggs. I used to make my own mayonnaise but don’t risk it any more.

3. MeOhMy says:

Miracle Whip is an entirely different product and it has its purposes. It is not, as commonly believed, a mayo substitute. I’ve got both in my house.

4. Wasabe says:

The best mayonnaise is usually the generic store brand. I find that kraft’s version is usually too runny. Miracle Whip is crap.

Actually the best is “Mayonaise” by the Smashing Pumpkins.

5. Musician78 says:

I love that thick industrial crap that you find in restaurants. I have tried every kind of mayo that you can buy in stores, but I can’t seem to find any that are even remotely similar.

6. Skeptic says:

Raw eggs can often have salmonella which can make adults sick and kill children and the elderly. Even if only minute amounts of salmonella are present in the eggs, the salmonella can grow in homemade mayonnaise that is left out even for a little while.

People used to make mayo all the time, but eggs didn’t use to have as much salmonella and anti-boitoic resistant salmonella–and low grade food poisoning can seem like the flu so many people never realize how many times they’ve had it.

7. gte910h says:

You can use pasteurized eggs if you’re worried about Salmonella. You don’t really need to do this, as when making mayo, you *should* use enough acid that you’re going to kill Salmonella (if you do it right).

I don’t know if the recipe uses enough acid, and they don’t have the *very* important step of leaving it out on the counter long enough for the acid to kill things (acid doesn’t kill bacteria at refrigerator temperatures near as well as at room temperature)

Prefer this mayo recipe by Alton Brown, who does both of these things: http://snipurl.com/abmayo

–Michael

8. ArtlessDodger says:

You can always buy pasteurized eggs. Then you won’t have to worry about salmonella.

9. kerry says:

@Skeptic -
    Pasteurized, antibiotic-free eggs are a bit safer than traditional eggs, though they cost more. I feel fairly certain that the aioli (fancy word for mayo) that gets served at nicer restaurants is made from scratch, and lord knows I eat enough of it without any trouble, so I think the salmonella problem can be avoided if you use the right kind of eggs.
    On a side note, a friend of mine grew up in a family that used Miracle Whip as mayo and the first time she had the real stuff she was thoroughly grossed out.

10. Maulleigh says:

A friend of ours used to make Mayonnaise chocolate cake. Sounds bad but damn tasty.

11. sp3nc3 says:

How uncanny. I just made my own mayo for the first time last night.

Several of the recipes I looked at said that the purpose of the lemon juice, aside for flavor, is to provide acidity to kill any bacteria. They also said not to keep the mayo for more than 5 or 6 days.

Also, I used peanut oil and I liked it much better than with extra virgin olive oil, which had a slightly bitter taste.

12. czechm8 says:

Ugh, this is why I don’t eat mayo. Raw eggs and oil. Disgusting.

13. LRM216 says:

Suddenly, I have fallen back in love with Kraft and Hellman.

14. NoctisEqui says:

This is great- except do not, I repeat, DO NOT use jarred crushed garlic. It’s a waste of money and should be illegal for how little it tastes like fresh garlic. Buy a head of garlic for 50 cents and chop away. You’ll be glad.

Sincerely,

Your Foodie Friend

15. etinterrapax says:

I’ll have to try this. The only reason I never have is that I’d never use it all before it went bad. But I’ve heard that scratch is far superior to even the best commerically-prepared.

I’ve always wondered who first got what seems to me to be a rather random idea to make this, so I was checking it out on Wikipedia just now. The entry reads, in part, “Mayonnaise is rather discusting! [sic] but is used i alot of things!” Heh. It is certainly a food to which nearly everyone I know has a strong reaction, one way or another.

16. AcidReign says:

…..I’m not a big mayo fan, either. If I’ve put it on a sandwich, it’s probably to try and cover some dried-out hunk of turkey I’m trying to not throw away. And Miracle Whip works fine for that, and is largely tasteless, and not as bad for your arteries.

…..I vastly prefer, say, mustard and sharp cheese to mayo. NoctisEqui is absolutely right, nothing even comes close to fresh garlic. Mmmmm. Ever try roasting a few heads in the oven like you would a potato?

17. weeble says:

I read (mercola.com) that the stats for salmonella are around 1 egg in 20,000 — so you’d have to eat 1,000 raw eggs (83 cartons) to reach even a 5% chance of having salmonella. Frankly it seems like a negligible risk. If you ate 1,000 eggs worth of homemade mayonnaise you’d have bigger health risks to worry about.

18. NeonCat says:

I am glad that so many people dislike mayo, because that means there is more for me.

19. Falconfire says:

@Skeptic: contrary to popular belief very few if any eggs in our stores have Salmonella (its a lot of fearmonger bullshit that tell you it does) and even if they did, the acid should kill it.

The fact is a lot of the certain things that make us sick, make us sick only because unlike our parents and grandparents, we dont build up nearly the immunity to the stuff they once did. Funny enough for all the “heathier” we supposedly are, people are fatter and barely live any longer than we did 40-50 years ago.

20. AcidReign says:

…..I can second that. I made several fairly tasty eggnogs this past New Year’s Eve with some raw, December 2 expiration date eggs. And I had to get up early for the Cotton Bowl the next day, and no hangover. If anything should have made me sick, that was it. On the other hand, a copious amount of 80 proof brandy may have killed the salmonella. Who knows…

21. LAGirl says:

mayonnaise is absolutely disgusting. the only condiment that goes on my sandwich is mustard. i always ALWAYS say ‘no mayo’ when i order anything that might have even a remote chance of coming w/mayo. if they screw up, and put mayo on it, i have to send it back. you say, ‘why be so picky? can’t you just scrape it off?’ HELL to the NO. i can’t eat the bread that mayo was touching. it gets all mushy + icky.

and in my opinion, mayo has a much higher ‘ick’ factor than conjoined fast food restaurants.

22. faust1200 says:

I thought the post about the man describing the taste of mayo to the Japanese was interesting. How do you describe the taste of mayo to anybody? Well I actually grew up eating Miracle Whip and enjoyed the flavor, probably because it was the only thing in the house. Although recently I purchased a squeeze bottle of Hellman’s for $2.59. The only thing I use it for is canned tuna however. If I eat fast food I will order without because they tend to go way overboard and you end up with a sick glob on your already sick burger/sandwich. Yeah I like my condiments but I’m way too lazy to make my own mayo.

23. a says:

As the link says, Miracle Whip is that exact same recipe + powdered sugar (and sometimes vinegar and flour if it doesn’t come out right).

I love ‘em both.

24. Musician78 says:

I love mayo on my French Fries.

25. tickle says:

I don’t use mayo often, but when I do it’s almost always homemade. And in 30+ years of making it, I’ve never made myself ill, or anyone else.

But when it’s storebought, it’s Dukes or nothing. I used to have it sent up north to me by friends in the south, but now the grocery chains in the mid-atlantic sell the stuff. No sugar in this one, and it tastes close to homemade.

26. Coronagold says:

There was a mayonnaise convention and I wasn’t invited?